Author Topic: V100 Mandello engine heat  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
V100 Mandello engine heat
« on: February 20, 2024, 11:50:18 AM »
I did a search and did not find much on the amount of heat given off by the new water-cooled engine in the Mandello. I have memories of test rides on a Honda ST1300 and earlier FJR1300. The amount of heat they put on my legs was, IMO, ridiculous. I could not imagine owning one. I am now considering a new Stelvio, can any Mandello owners weigh in on the amonut of heat from the new engine?
Thanks.
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: V100 Mandello engine heat
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 12:08:10 PM »
I owned a Triumph Sprint Executive that directed all it's radiator heat straight back and over the engine to my inner thighs and crotch.  Man!  It was hot. 

I always contemplated installing some baffles or directional vanes under the fuel tank to direct the air outward.

A few weeks ago I got hands on a V100 Mandello for the first time.  To my surprise, behind the radiator are some plastic vanes which appear they would direct the air outward from the back of the radiator.

I've not ridden a V100 Mandello or Stelvio, but something tells me they have better wind management than my previous liquid cooled bikes, and the effect of hot radiator air may not be too bad.

Looking forward to hearing from owners what they think of the warm airflow from the radiator.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 12:08:49 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 12:22:21 PM »
For me it has been a non issue, { Mandello }.  Although I haven't done a lot of rides on super hot days ,I find it directs a lot less heat towards your legs than my air/oil cooled 1400 . I imaging the new Stelvio would be much the same , I have never noticed any excessive engine heat  even after extended idling sessions at lights and in traffic.  I am very happy with  the bike so far at 3,000 miles in.

Online ff73148

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 12:44:23 PM »
I did a search and did not find much on the amount of heat given off by the new water-cooled engine in the Mandello. I have memories of test rides on a Honda ST1300 and earlier FJR1300. The amount of heat they put on my legs was, IMO, ridiculous. I could not imagine owning one. I am now considering a new Stelvio, can any Mandello owners weigh in on the amonut of heat from the new engine?
Thanks.

I owned an ST1300. Most of the heat came up from the catalytic converter. I installed a Two Brothers exhaust that did away with the converter. Heat was no problem after that.
Frank Ferrante
2016 Eldorado
2022 Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 12:44:23 PM »

Online MG_rider

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 03:25:14 PM »
Not an issue with my V100-S.
But haven't ridden it through Death Valley (yet), where even my single cylinder bikes can be BBQs!
'23 Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello S
The bike is just a blank page, the rider is the writer, the road is the ink....
Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet.

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 04:15:21 PM »
I got my v100 in Oct so I haven't had the occasion to ride in high heat, yet. I have heard complaints about heat with the 1400s, only once for me did it get hot enough to be uncomfortable. That was on a really hot day in heavy traffic. If you want to see hot ride a 110" Harley in stop and go traffic. Mine would get so bad I would shut it off when stopped. The 88" I had before that one wasn't real good either. I tend to find complaints about modern Guzzis to be totally baseless, those such as the torque reaction, shaft jacking etc. To be honest I don't even notice any of them as they barely exist. Of course I rode probably 150,000 miles on old Air Heads. My R75/5 was the worst.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 04:20:00 PM »
Are there any motorcycles that are not hot on a hot day in heavy traffic?

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 07:51:54 AM »

Most of my Guzzis have not been hot in traffic.  '91 LeMans 1000, '96 Sport 1100, '04 V11 LeMans were good.

My current 04 California EVT is hot, but it's got the leg shields/guards and a heat pocket forms right where the footboards are located.  It's miserable in the summer.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 02:29:59 PM »
I tend to find complaints about modern Guzzis to be totally baseless, those such as the torque reaction, shaft jacking etc.
Totally agree…

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 07:37:19 PM »
The BMW K75s I had and the 650 VStrom I just sold had no issues with heat.Boith water cooled. My Buell Uly will roast your thigh.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Fitzig23

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 04:21:16 PM »
I've had my V100 for 5 months now and currently we're in summer here in Australia. Some days hit 32-36c and yes on any hot day you will feel there is a hot motor between your legs but only when you stop and fumble around trying to park somewhere and even then it's not unbearable and just the same as any other bike. Otherwise categorically there is no problem with heat.

Now my Ducati 1299 Panigale - on a hot day that's a whole nother world of pain as it is basically a motor with 2 sub frames attached and one of those attachment points is right at your knees. I've stupidly worn denim out on a hot day and came home with heat welts on the inside of my knees. Had to put burn medication on for few days after.

V100 - no problem with heat

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2024, 11:49:41 PM »
I've had my V100 for 5 months now and currently we're in summer here in Australia. Some days hit 32-36c and yes on any hot day you will feel there is a hot motor between your legs but only when you stop and fumble around trying to park somewhere and even then it's not unbearable and just the same as any other bike. Otherwise categorically there is no problem with heat.

Now my Ducati 1299 Panigale - on a hot day that's a whole nother world of pain as it is basically a motor with 2 sub frames attached and one of those attachment points is right at your knees. I've stupidly worn denim out on a hot day and came home with heat welts on the inside of my knees. Had to put burn medication on for few days after.

V100 - no problem with heat
Are you the guy I met at Gundagai tuckerbox ?

Offline Rower30

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2024, 08:53:35 AM »
I've had mine for 6,000 miles. The engine and radiator DO NOT exhibit heat issues. Somehow the engine heat is mimimal on the V100S, it goes around you, not so much on you from my experiences.

It is the catalytic under the engine and ahead of the rear wheel that is the culprit when you are stopped for long in warm weather. The catalytice convertert does give off the heat vibes.

Compared to my 1992 R100RT that roasted you big time at ANY speed in the summer, the V100S is a peach moving...or as well as you can expect, as the CAT heat goes behind you once moving. Be aware of those long stops at 90F summer days, though. The heat has to go somewhere.

I would not say the V100S is a poblem with heat as far as modern bikes go with catalytic converters. There is a worst case, stopped, absolutely. My knees feel zero engine heat / radiator so that's well managed.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 08:56:14 AM by Rower30 »
'74 Kawasaki F11 250 Enduro (made one out of two for $300.00)
'74 MAICO 450 4 speed GP bike
'77 Yamaha RD400
'78 Suzuki DR370 thumper
'78 MAICO 250 motocrosser
'79 MAICO 250 motocrosser
'79 HOND CB750F
'81Yamaha IT175
'83 MAICO 250 motocrosser
'92 KTM 250DXC
'92 BMW R100RT
'23 MGuzzi V100S Mandello

Offline DistriroF

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2024, 09:01:28 PM »

Well Rower.       One can really feel the heat here in Arizona (nice in the winter). Not anymore than my triumph a few bikes ago.

You can get catless headers from MIVV or Agostini but will have the hassle of refueling.   I just love the bike and ride it year-round.

Stay Out of Town

Offline gwensp

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2024, 04:20:00 AM »
I've got 16000 miles on my V100S and dont find heat to be an issue (I am UK and we arent known for having hot days so take what I say with a pinch of salt)
"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission" Rear Admiral Grace Hopper USN
GwenSP
2022 V100S Mandello
2021 V7 850 Stone
83 Spada NT

Cardiff/Caerdydd
Wales/Cymru

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here