Author Topic: NGC, taking old cb 750 chopper to North Carolina  (Read 1906 times)

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: NGC, taking old cb 750 chopper to North Carolina
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2023, 06:31:47 PM »
Just go, man!

Whatever happens, you'll have some good stories!

-Stretch

:thumb:  :bow:  :thumb:

Yep…..I’m going in June and taking my chopper on some shake down rides between now and then!  Woo hoo!!!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 11:15:15 AM by bobrebos1 »
Tennessee/Georgia areas Moto Guzzi Enthusiasts -Traveling lunch meetups (on Facebook)

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2023, 11:17:08 AM »
Got a chopper shake down ride planned for next Monday 6 March.  69 miles one way, or 138 round trip.  That should give me a good indication if all my tweaking on it has it running well.  Woo Hoo, its all about the adventure!!!!
Tennessee/Georgia areas Moto Guzzi Enthusiasts -Traveling lunch meetups (on Facebook)

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2023, 11:19:34 AM »
It's a Honda, what could go wrong?  :popcorn:
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2023, 11:21:37 AM »
It's a Honda, what could go wrong?  :popcorn:
kk

:thumb:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2023, 11:21:37 AM »

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2023, 12:47:52 PM »
30 miles of shakedown riding so far.  No problems.....  Woo Hoo these old choppers are a hoot to ride!  Hang on baby.............65 mph and it feels like you are doing 120!!!  Yeeeeehhhaaaaaaaaa. ....   :bike-037: :bike-037: :bike-037:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 12:53:23 PM by bobrebos1 »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2023, 05:21:01 PM »
65mph and it feels like you are doing 120!!!  Yeeeeehhhaaaaaaaaa. ....   :bike-037: :bike-037: :bike-037:

:bow:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2023, 08:31:55 AM »

There is a guy a couple of blocks away that has a 70's CB chopper as "yard art  ".
  Makes a man weep when to see that, rusting away.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2023, 09:14:11 AM »
You think you want to cry check this out. It was half buried in a gravel pile for years. I rode by all the time. After the owner died the neighbor dug it out. The owner's kids want to restore it, hope they have deep pockets. The picture doesn't show how bad it really is.
kk

« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 09:16:18 AM by Moparnut72 »
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2023, 01:24:59 PM »
Restoration should be simple, just buy a parts bike in much nicer condition, clean up and swap a few parts between them, and call it done  :grin: :tongue:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2023, 02:11:55 PM »
Hope they have a title before they start work. :wink:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2023, 11:18:55 PM »
Assuming there are no legitimate issues with the ownership, titles on antique bikes are generally a non-issue. Search "Vermont Title Loophole" for a run down. You can DIY or pay a company to handle it for you. I've done it for many "hasn't run in 25 years, don't have papers" bikes.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2023, 07:49:28 AM »
Parts bike? Priced any CBXs lately no matter the condition. That is going to take either a bunch of money or major amount of hours to get it running let alone looking good. Heck there is even moss living in and on it.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2023, 04:40:04 PM »
Assuming there are no legitimate issues with the ownership, titles on antique bikes are generally a non-issue. Search "Vermont Title Loophole" for a run down. You can DIY or pay a company to handle it for you. I've done it for many "hasn't run in 25 years, don't have papers" bikes.

You can't DIY on this bike.  First of all, your first phrase shows the problem up front. 

-No clear ownership.  The estate would have to clear the title.  Trustees/Executor.  That's to get a title.
-California is stricter on titles and registrations than other states.  The bike is already in the DMV data bank.  A Vermont title would raise suspicions on inappropriate transaction.
-This bike is a "classic" vs an "antique".
-The Vermont Loophole may work on the East Coast but not in California.  It might work if the bike is taken out of state but not in California.  Wouldn't work in AZ & Hawaii too.
-Might be better to part the bike out rather trying to get back on the road.  Cost of the title.  Cost of the registration.  Back taxes etc.  estimate of $1000 just for legal issues.

Former MVD Agent/Inspector, Maricopa County, Arizona.  State of Arizona followed California's lead on titles & registration.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2023, 12:45:12 PM »
Guess I should have said your mileage may vary by state since the laws vary, especially in CA. Have never registered a motorcycle in CA, only antique cars, so can't speak to that. Even when I lived in SoCal, maintained out of state registration on motorcycles which was very common to do, especially for those who have multiple states of residence. Vermont doesn't typically issue titles for older vehicles and that's the whole point. It's a rare scenario for someone to pursue a title for an older vehicle in VT, and is usually done for selling the vehicle with a surety bond. Without a title, you end up registering the motorcycle to yourself (or a 3rd party) in VT, and then use the VT registration to transfer it to your own state, or you carry out a legal sale of buying the bike back from the 3rd party who has registered it in the state of VT. For a vehicle previously registered and titled in the state that you're transferring it back to it does raise a red flag, have never had that be an issue so long as the required VIN verification (by a LEO or authorized emissions test center) is submitted.

If it's going through the estate then I wouldn't bother, have the estate request a duplicate or lost title.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2023, 12:55:30 PM »
I agree with what you posted on the variables for getting a title.  California is the most strict when it comes to titling vehicles.  Most vehicles per capita per state and per population for the world. (IMO) eg. CARB influence on vehicle manufacturers.   :shocked:  Meeting regs. for California also qualifies it for most of the world. 

Seems that California in general also influences titles and registration rules for the rest of the nation. 

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2023, 02:57:18 PM »
Put another 15 miles on the old chopper today (Post office, gas station run).  Ran well.  Thats like 52 miles of shake down riding so far.  If I can go to Tellico Plains Tn and Etowah Tn next week that will be another 100 miles of shake down riding on it.  All OK so far!!!!  Woo Hoo

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2023, 02:57:48 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here