Author Topic: Has This ADV Thing gotten out of hand?  (Read 17363 times)

Offline pocphil

• Owner - ClevelandMoto
  • Hatchling
    • ClevelandMoto
Has This ADV Thing gotten out of hand?
« on: January 20, 2015, 11:55:17 AM »
We're going to be doing an upcoming ClevelandMoto Podcast on just how loopy this ADV thing has become...

Here are a few to get you started:

ADV Genuine RoughHouse 50cc Scooter

http://www.genuinescooters.com/roughhousetitanium.html

The Scooter itself costs $2200 and you can get all the crashbars and racks for another $400 or so.

ADV Chinese 250cc RX-3 Cyclone Motorcycle

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/659/19152/Motorcycle-Article/CSC-Motorcycles-RX-3-Cyclone-First-Look.aspx

JDM Only Yamaha TTX Adventure Scooter

http://bikeadvice.in/yamaha-ttx-adventure-yamahas-concept-road-scooter/

Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Has This ADV Thing gotten out of hand?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 12:01:13 PM »
I would not want a camoflaged  bike out in the woods. Hop off the bike because of a nature call. Turn around and the bike disappeared.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Online Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 01:06:47 PM »
I looked for my winter camo Chevy Blazer for 45 minutes once after a ptarmigan hunt in the snow when I lived in Kodiak. Not fun when the weather is crappy, at least the Bears were asleep.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »
We've come a long way since the DT-1...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »

biking sailor

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 06:33:36 PM »
Seems to me whatever type of bike is in fashion will get those folks that go a little overboard with them.  No matter whether it is a chopper, bobber, cafe', scrambler, adventure, streetfighter...  As long as they are having fun with it.  Personally, I like the adventure bike ergos and control, but I am an old dual sport rider at heart.

No doubt "manufacturers", big and small, will try to cash in on the current craze, whatever that may be at the time.

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 07:18:28 PM »
The funny thing is I would feel more in control on any of those in a real dirt trail than my 650lb+ Stelvio. I love my bike but dirt worthy it isnt.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 11:24:21 AM »
That little RX3 is cute.

Sister-in-law has the Yammy scooter.  Used to ride it a lot on the dirt roads in the AZ White Mountains.  Only had a 45mph top speed.  She still uses it to commute when the weather is nice.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 11:59:57 AM »
It seems to me, a scooter layout would be a poor choice for bouncing around on dirt trails, you dont have a gas tank to grip with your knees, and standing up on the pegs, would be standing up on the deck?
seems kinda weird to me, except for some very casual fire road riding. That being said, Im sure someone will come up with a video of a guy finishing the paris-dakar on a chinese adv scooter! ;D
Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 01:56:21 PM »
actually there was a thread about 2 guys crossing the US on knock off chinese 150cc scooters...took them 10-12 days...I think it was on advrider
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 03:51:49 PM »
I would not want a camoflaged  bike out in the woods. Hop off the bike because of a nature call. Turn around and the bike disappeared.

Been there, done that.
 However, I would not be averse to an adventure with the girl in the picture.
  BTW, does the Yamaha have a frame that can carry a sidecar?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:52:58 PM by Sasquatch Jim »
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 07:19:27 PM »
Hey, Jim...I'll wager that SR400 would work well with a lighter hack. Sorta reminiscent of a BMW R-50 with a Cucumber Steib. Gearing would be a snap with chain drive...longer shocks/slip the triple-trees would quicken up the steering. It appears to have a full-loop frame...neuvo-Panther?

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 12:29:56 AM »
Yeah, but then you end up with yet another underpowered sidecar outfit that can barely break 50 mph, except it'd be a lot more reliable than the Royal Enfield crap coming out of India.

Hey, Jim...I'll wager that SR400 would work well with a lighter hack. Sorta reminiscent of a BMW R-50 with a Cucumber Steib. Gearing would be a snap with chain drive...longer shocks/slip the triple-trees would quicken up the steering. It appears to have a full-loop frame...neuvo-Panther?

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 04:40:26 AM »

Yes it has. Freakin' two wheeled SUVs. and I bet not 5% of them ever see a dirt road. Flippin' lemmings following each other into the next fad.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 05:46:55 AM »
My Breva has probably seen more dirt road than some stelvios.

btw, don't take a Breva 1100 on dirt, the sound coming from the carc is horrifying.

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 07:55:05 AM »
Actually, the LeMans IV isn't bad on dirt roads or even sand.  The clip-ons make things interesting but the chassis is certainly up for it.
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Online blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 08:13:47 AM »
I have the same opinion as Crusty. The manufacturers are cranking out new models of pseudo-ADV bikes that look vaguely like BMW GS's, but will likely never see true off-road service; they are really sport-tourers disguised as ADV bikes. Unfortunately for short-legged sport-touring enthusiasts such as me, these bikes are too tall and don't offer enough weather protection. A good example is the new YAM FJ-09; the name suggests that it would be a smaller version of the venerable FJR, but they just had to make it look like the Tenere in order to get in step with the current ADV craze. Too bad, at least for folks like me. I wish there were more available middle weight bikes similar in design and purpose to my Norge.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 08:26:00 AM »
I bought the Honda NT because I wanted a middle weight touring bike.  It was the only one out there.  Sales flopped.

I really wanted the BMW F800GT to be the one.  But, they didn't fix the buzzy motor and it still had a riding position more like a sport bike.  It hasn't done well either.

Norge is closest to what I would want, but, it is still too heavy.  Until someone comes out with a good middleweight touring bike I'll just have to keep my ancient T5.

I won't hold my breath either.  With the SUV craze around the world I think there will be more ADV bikes out there, not fewer.  It's the modern image of "I am an outdoors person" even if they never go anywhere.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 08:29:49 AM »

Depends; my opinion, if you have more than three ADV bikes in the garage then I'd say it has gotten out of hand.  :pop
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 08:31:15 AM »

Yes it has. Freakin' two wheeled SUVs. and I bet not 5% of them ever see a dirt road. Flippin' lemmings following each other into the next fad.

I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam.  I sold my 1200 Sport because the knee and hip bend was way too severe for me.  Oddly enough, my Stelvio fits me perfectly!  As much as I would love a new V7, I physically don't fit on it.

I do keep a 5 gallon bucket of mud under my workbench though - it's real easy to splash on the bike before I head out to Starbucks.  Some mud on all those stickers on my aluminum side cases and skid plate really gives me the off-road cred I deserve!   ;)
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Online blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 08:40:01 AM »
Charlie b,

I ended up buying an F800GT; it is the perfect size/weight for me and my type of riding. It handles great and is reasonably comfortable for all-day riding. However, it is not as comfortable as my Norge and it (as you mentioned) tends to get buzzy at the bars and pegs at 80 mph in 6th. The Norge motor feels much more relaxed at interstate speed.

Sorry for the thread diversion,

Jon
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:41:16 AM by blackbuell »
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 09:43:14 AM »

Just make sure none of the mounts interfere with the kickstart lever, otherwise you'll have to push-start.  ;)
Charlie

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 09:54:52 AM »

I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam.  I sold my 1200 Sport because the knee and hip bend was way too severe for me.  Oddly enough, my Stelvio fits me perfectly!  As much as I would love a new V7, I physically don't fit on it.

Yep, exactly!

My Stelvio will never see a rough trail (although all my bikes see dirt roads when there's one in front of me) .... but I didn't buy the Stelvio so that I could use it on rough trails.

I bought it because after Fay and I tried dozens of different bikes including SPIIIs, Norges, BMWs, Honda ST1300s, Concours, and everything else out there ....

The Stelvio is the #1 comfortable highway touring bike for us.   LOTS of room front to back (WAY more than a Norge), lots of distance to the footpegs, and everything we need for a long trip including a good alternator.   

So, for those of you who believe for some reason that "Dirt Posers" are buying these bikes, you might want to try one yourself and see what they're really about.   You might not like it because it's too ugly or too tall, but they're great all-purpose motorcycles, and have nothing to do with "dirt riding".

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 09:57:28 AM »
:D

And those of us with shorter inseams want the opposite :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 10:02:57 AM »

That's why the "Cruiser Thing" is Getting Out of Hand ....   :D
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 10:16:44 AM »

Me too!  I had no interest in the ADV bikes until a buddy of mine gave me his Tenere for a test ride.  Holy crap!  It fits!  I'm 6'4" with 36" inseam.  I haven't ridden the Stelvio, but sitting on it tells me the fit is similar to the Tenere.  I can forgive a lot of shortcomings for a machine that fits.  I'd love to have a GoldWing, but it's too cramped.

I was riding my 35 year old XS1100 yesterday.  I'm in the mountains and the pavement ended.  Is there a worse bike in the dirt than an XS1100 Special?  The road was beautiful as it followed two trout streams.  I might enjoy more of these roads, but they are to be avoided on that bike.  I assume that's what these ADV bikes are designed for.  Pack a tent and sleeping bag and go?  How much weight can you pack on a Stelvio with a full tank of fuel?  Can a Stelvio handle a washboard rutted road better than a minivan?
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 10:56:32 AM »
I was riding my 35 year old XS1100 yesterday.  I'm in the mountains and the pavement ended.  Is there a worse bike in the dirt than an XS1100 Special?  The road was beautiful as it followed two trout streams.  I might enjoy more of these roads, but they are to be avoided on that bike.  I assume that's what these ADV bikes are designed for.  Pack a tent and sleeping bag and go?  How much weight can you pack on a Stelvio with a full tank of fuel?  Can a Stelvio handle a washboard rutted road better than a minivan?

This is the mission that the ADV bikes are for.    Aside from SUV styling, they're upright sport tourers that have a suspension that can handle rough unpaved ROADS.   They're NOT single-track bikes.     I haven't ridden a Stelvio, but, have ridden the water-cooled R1200GS, on paved and unpaved roads, and also on some wider trails.     It is a great sport tourer that handles the washboard rutted unpaved roads with ease.   It is a heavy beast though.   I wouldn't want to have to pick it up.  I prefer my much lighter F650GS Dakar for unpaved and off road use, but, the R1200GS is a way better road bike.   Even the F650GS is heavy, IMHO, for off road work, at 400ish lbs.   For pure off-road, I'd be real happy with a sub-300lb 250.   I like my 650 because I can ride the highways TO the trailers, rather than trailering, which is what I'd have to do with a 250.

The 650 class bikes are the ideal sized bikes for ADV touring, IMHO.     Variety is what makes there world go round.    I'm happy that there are a wide variety of bikes to choose from.

If Guzzis were as popular and plentiful as Harleys, Harley wanna-bes, GS's and GS wanna bees, most people on this forum wouldn't have 'em.    I think one of the draws to Guzzi for many of us is the relative obscurity, or dare I saw, exclusivity of them.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 11:08:33 AM »
I think one of the draws to Guzzi for many of us is the relative obscurity, or dare I saw, exclusivity of them.

That is the one and only thing about MG that bothers me.  I have a MG dealer 5 miles away, but being broke down 1200 miles from the nearest dealer has crossed my mind, along with availability of parts.  I have several Yamahas, so I guess I'm a fan.  That being said, looking at the Super Tenere and the Stelvio side by side, the Stelvio gave me a better impression of quality.  Also, once both are fully equipped, the Stelvio appears to be a better bargain.  Maybe that other part appeals to me as well, even if I won't admit it.
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 11:11:28 AM »

I find the motorcycle industry is spending way too much time and money catering to your "kind"; giving us with more endowed inseams the short shrift.  :P
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

expat42451

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 08:13:05 PM »
Interesting bike for  dirt roads....and maybe for some riders, single track- is the now orphan  Husky Terra. Similar power plant to the BMW 650 series but more powerful. I think also better suspension as well plus it is light  at just under 400 Lbs.  I had an off on an 800 GS last year in Ecuador, friends' bike, no damage other than lots of mud. I couldn't pick the thing up.  At 63 and riding alone its a consideration. I am 6'4 with  a 34" inseam and the Terra fit well, reasonable for a thumper at highway speeds. A shame Husky in its new iteration isn't going to continue it.  I like the Terra but am hesitant to buy one because of the parts situation.

Where I am and have been  here in South America I see lots of people touring on lots of different bikes. I am not that much of a rider but  I can't imagine say an 1150GS  on dirt in the rainy season loaded. The idea is a little scary.

Expat

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 08:24:25 PM »

That's basically the case for 4 wheel SUVs too.  Mostly they are for The boulevard off roader.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here