Author Topic: Might be time to quit riding  (Read 7143 times)

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Might be time to quit riding
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2020, 07:29:09 AM »
About the ONLY thing that motivates me these days is my guitar playing. Once I've started I'll put hours and hours into it. If you like to jam but can't get out, you might want to try Jamkazam. It requires a high speed wired connection and an audio interface (and a bit of time to set up- many utube videos to help out.) but it allows you to play along with others in real time from the comfort of your own space.

Kudos to you for taking care of your MIL. It's a terrible disease, my mother had it. It's much harder on the caregiver than the patient and that's in normal times. So take care of yourself, especially in this awful year.

Ill have to check that out. I have been a living room player for about 10 years, and had just started joining a local folk jam a few years ago.. and learned I have a LOT to learn!!!  - shut that down, and here I am...  Once this is over I really need to work on my skills of playing with others.    And ya... its tough..  Just last month I did break down and got a parttime job a few days a week. With the wife working from home with - it gave me a little freedom to get out. Oh MAN its nice being out doing, and learning something with new people!!   
Paul B

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2020, 07:36:47 AM »
Hi All,                                                                                                               11-30-20

I don't understand what the big deal is about quitting something...I've quit drinking several times!

Be well, stay well,
DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Offline Deno

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2020, 07:41:40 AM »
I have been through this twice. Once with bikes and once with cars. The purge and restarts were not at the same time and they were no big deal.
Sell if you think you need to and keep some of that cash for when/if you may change your mind. Just do not regret your decision. That would be the big mistake.

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2020, 07:47:28 AM »
Hey Bob what color is your Stelvio  :evil:
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2020, 07:47:28 AM »

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2020, 08:17:43 AM »
I remember the last few times I quit... :grin:

Given the choice of riding or not, i chose smaller, lighter, easier. Don’t rule out what one of these can do to bring a smile...

4 valve 350cc, 16” wheels, interlinked abs disc brakes, goes 85mph w a cup of coffee in my left hand, twist and go..and light weight around the garage

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/d/brooklyn-piaggio-bv-350/7226595751.html

THIS!

I was finding the manhandling the big Breva and fear of dropping and finding when I did it was all too easy to go ridiculous amounts over the speed limit made riding all together too hard

So I got rid and went for a V9 Roamer which is so much less trouble

Sadly we're now constrained by Lockdown rules, but I can't wait to get back on the bike

I'm even planning options to go to IOM, Wales again or down Norfolk way!

Let things settle down and then think again
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline borderer

• Hatchling
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2020, 01:14:59 PM »
 Yes Been there. This year I spent a lot of time in the spring  fettling the 1200 sport. When i rode it again I just wasnt enjoying it anymore. too heavy and the riding position was getting too painful. I considered selling my other two bikes but decided to buy a V85TT.  Back in love with riding now. done more miles on the bike than the car (first time since I was in my 20s).

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2020, 01:32:51 PM »
Bob, I'm 64 and hope I several years of riding left.  While every person is different, I think you just need a "motorcycle" change of pace. Next spring, when the vaccines are widely distributed and - is in the rear view mirror, take a guided tour somewhere, on your bike or a rental.  Take a training course. BMW offers a great one at their plant in Spartanburg. Never too old to learn. Consider getting a smaller bike.  I knew a couple of guys in their late 60's that toured all over the country on Suzuki Bergman 650 scooters. 

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2020, 02:19:59 PM »
I came close four years ago to giving up the sport and selling my Cal. I had been dogged by persistent and chronic sciatic pain for a number of years and it wasn't getting any better. I would go for a half hour spin and my leg would be on fire for three days. Not good.
I was able to self diagnose the problem, and then took the steps to fix the issue (misaligned pelvis and sacrum). I have been pain free for two years and have ridden more in the last year than in the previous five years combined. I scratched a new bike itch last year and picked up the Monster.
67 and still strong, not going to stop anytime soon.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2020, 02:44:46 PM »
72 and still going strong Bob.

Had my Breva for 16 years.  The size suits me fine. I can still do a 300-350 mile trip in a day ok.

I think bike size to suit is paramount.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2020, 02:46:22 PM »
Also related to the advice thread: More often than not, you can change your mind.

Rich A

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2020, 05:22:42 PM »
 I am 76 years old and firmly believe that the time to quit riding is when the undertaker pries my dead hands from the handlebars.
 The fact that that time is approaching has not changed my attitude.  I continue to ride when temps are above 30 farenheight.
 And maybe a little lower on some occasions.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Bill

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2020, 06:05:43 PM »
Yes, at some point every rider has to make these decisions. I think instead of just quitting one might  consider just cutting back. First, ride more conservatively to compensate for older age. Next choose when you want to ride. When older you don't need to ride in the super cold or the supper hot. If it looks rainy maybe stay at home. Lastly consider downsizing. I still have my FJR and my 98EV but I'm now putting more miles on my lowered 1200 Bandit. (BTW lowering is also a consideration as you get older) I'm going on 73 and in the next few years, the bigger bikes likely will go. If the Bandit seems difficult I'll downsize  to another lighter bike before I give it up.
Bill

Offline dlapierre

• Gosling
    • Habitat Farm
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2020, 06:32:43 PM »
I'm 73. I hear your concerns. I sold what I had for big bikes earlier this year and now only have a smaller one for putzing around bush trails and maybe for doing the odd short run for a few groceries. Cheaper than driving the truck, is my rationalization.
I'm not interested any more in going fast or far. The change to a smaller bike has turned out to be the just the right decision.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2020, 07:30:25 PM »
For what it's worth, about a year ago I sold my 2003 K1200gt to an older rider.  He was 80!  It was kind of funny when he straddled the bike to ride home...first words out of his mouth, "where are the footpegs?!"  Oh, there they are, way back there!

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2020, 09:57:27 AM »
 Well I rode this morning and it was 23 degrees F. That is nose hair cold.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

bobrebos

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2020, 01:47:22 PM »
I'm 73. I hear your concerns. I sold what I had for big bikes earlier this year and now only have a smaller one for putzing around bush trails and maybe for doing the odd short run for a few groceries. Cheaper than driving the truck, is my rationalization.
I'm not interested any more in going fast or far. The change to a smaller bike has turned out to be the just the right decision.

That might be the route I go!

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2020, 01:59:49 PM »
Hang in there, Bob. You will do what's right for you.

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2020, 02:10:02 PM »
Hope to see 82 years in January and still riding. Don't want anything heaver than my current V7 Stone II, but I like having something that allows me to use interstates when needed. Riding is still within my  capabilities even though my physical prowess is diminished over what it once was. Began riding in my teens and during the periods since then that I have been without a bike I envied those who were riding. No more long rides as my dog at home keeps me on a four hour radius tether. Plenty of good riding within that limit.

Hope that you make the choice that is right for you!

Bill H.

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2020, 04:19:33 PM »
Bob your request is denied.   :bike-037:

Since I recently met you at the Fall Creek Falls camping trip, I though I might nudge you based on our last conversation.

Remember sitting on this?

I'm sure that you could trade the Stelvio for the lighter V85TT.  :thumb:

I'll even help you with the link.  :evil:

https://sloansmotorcycle.com/Murfreesboro-Tennessee-37129/New-2020-Moto-Guzzi-V85-TT-Adventure/VDP/415917d8-df15-4fb6-a9a4-42f0ac6101bb

If you need someone to help you knock the dust off those bikes, just let me know.  I can ride up from Huntsville one weekend and we can rip the nearby mountains.

How very selfless of you.  LOL! 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2020, 04:27:03 PM »
Bob, you are welcome to come over sometime and give my smaller bikes a whirl. 

I know sometimes I just don't feel like putting on all the gear just to go riding.  When I make myself do it I enjoy the ride, but I wish I could just grab a helmet and gloves, hop on the bike and go for a short ride. 

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2020, 06:04:05 PM »
Bob, you are welcome to come over sometime and give my smaller bikes a whirl. 

I know sometimes I just don't feel like putting on all the gear just to go riding.  When I make myself do it I enjoy the ride, but I wish I could just grab a helmet and gloves, hop on the bike and go for a short ride.

No sh#t. Many years ago when I was at a (ahem) BMW club breakfast (this is before Guzzi)  :evil: an old fart was saying the same thing. Now, I feel the same way.
Comma but.
I know better. If you've ridden long enough, you'll know too.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2020, 05:36:44 AM »
No sh#t. Many years ago when I was at a (ahem) BMW club breakfast (this is before Guzzi)  :evil: an old fart was saying the same thing. Now, I feel the same way.
Comma but.
I know better. If you've ridden long enough, you'll know too.

Older and wiser and constantly thinking about the "What ifs".  Kinda sucks.  Now I truly know the meaning of "ignorance is bliss".  LOL!

As a teenager in Daytona Beach I rode with flip flops, swim shorts, and an old half helmet that had layers of different color rattle can paint.  I only put on more layers and more helmet based on the weather.  Not sure how much I would have ridden the bike to the beach if I was required to wear boots, pants, jacket, gloves, etc. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

bobrebos

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2020, 05:55:12 AM »

Hey Bob what color is your Stelvio  :evil:

The best color for a Stelvio in my opinion (Background behind my Gold Wing).  Im thinking about selling them both.   I have some decisions to make soon i think.

bobrebos

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2020, 06:01:36 AM »
I remember the last few times I quit... :grin:

Given the choice of riding or not, i chose smaller, lighter, easier. Don’t rule out what one of these can do to bring a smile...

4 valve 350cc, 16” wheels, interlinked abs disc brakes, goes 85mph w a cup of coffee in my left hand, twist and go..and light weight around the garage

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/d/brooklyn-piaggio-bv-350/7226595751.html

I had a Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter.  That thing was nice!  I have no idea why I sold it.  lol. 

bobrebos

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2020, 06:03:32 AM »
Understand completely, bikes were ridden to storage in Feb while the house was being reconstructed. Managed to finally get out for a ride about 2 weeks ago and then the weather went bad. Bikes are still in storage and look like they will be all winter. It's ironic that this year I had been planning on Il and Wi rallies since in theory we were wintering away and would be around most of the summer. Best laid plans.

Yep, planning never goes as planned.  lol.  Hope you can get out on them before too long!

bobrebos

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2020, 06:09:06 AM »
Will be a whole lot easier to sell in the spring anyways. Maybe sell two, keep your favorite one and see what happens. I do know how you feel. At 60 and with arthritis i struggle with my hands and knees. Especially my knees.  So mine may go up for sale spring. Just not sure yet! I need both knees replaced and I am afraid that I will regret letting her go if that pans out good.

Wait until the knees are replaced to decide maybe....

bobrebos

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2020, 06:19:15 AM »
I am 76 years old and firmly believe that the time to quit riding is when the undertaker pries my dead hands from the handlebars.
 The fact that that time is approaching has not changed my attitude.  I continue to ride when temps are above 30 farenheight.
 And maybe a little lower on some occasions.

:thumb:

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2020, 06:34:53 AM »
During the last ten years or so of my motorcycle riding, I rode to various rallies in the Greater Midwest.  I had a list of those events that I enjoyed attending, mostly Guzzi with a couple of Beemer events thrown in.  Almost all within a day's ride (600 miles or so) from where I live near Indianapolis, the furthest, and probably my favorite, being the MN Rally in Grand Marais.  Unfortunately, most of this riding was alone and I do have some minor health issues that seem to crop up unexpectedly.  I had already made the down-sizing move, having changed from a Stelvio to a lighter R1200R.  I had looked at the smaller Guzzis but they couldn't carry me and the equipment that I wanted to carry on the longer distances.

When I hit 84 a few years ago, I decided it was time to change from a two-wheeler to a four-wheeler, primarily for my personal safety.  Our son, an engineer at GM with long time experience with Corvettes, advised me on what to look for.  I found one.  That is now the "four-wheel motorcycle" I use to travel to my favorite rallies.  I can easily carry all my normal equipment and, most importantly, I can still see the many friends I've met through the years.

Travel safe guys and gals.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

bobrebos

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2020, 06:42:18 AM »
I might start to get into jeeps (Had a CJ-7 when I was younger).  Maybe something like this Wrangler to go four wheeling out by my cabin. Hmm...maybe replace motorcycles with a jeep! 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3659101260878166/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2020, 06:43:46 AM »
Excellent thread gents.  Full of age accumulated wisdom.  This is the kind of thread that makes WG a special place.

Quit riding or don't quit!  You can always change your mind later.

Sometimes getting out of something sparks interest, especially in the sense of window shopping, wondering, and anticipating.

Often a change of self is needed more than a change of scenery or activities.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here