Author Topic: New opinions on preferred mesh summer jacket  (Read 1001 times)

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
New opinions on preferred mesh summer jacket
« on: April 18, 2024, 10:05:40 AM »
It's getting near that time 'o year here, and last year I promised myself I'd try a mesh jacket again. Did some searching in the archives here and founds a lot of opinions that confirm my last memory of using a Joe Rocket mesh jacket: They may be very hot anyway, under some conditions. That's why I abandoned my old Joe Rocket.

But there's gotta be something lighter/better than my Tourmaster 3/4 with the liner zipped out and all the vents open in the summer...maybe mesh isn't the way to go?

Opinions on what you like? It's not desert-like here in CT, but a trip going north into mid-Mass can hit 90's with humidity.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
Re: New opinions on preferred mesh summer jacket
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 10:21:52 AM »
The problem for you and me too is the humidity.  For me, it doesn't seem to matter whether I wear a jacket with vents or a mesh, I just cannot really get cool in hot, humid summer weather.  Even dousing your head and shirt with water is not very effective for long.  FYI, I have a tourmaster mesh and as said, it doesn't do much good over 90 when humid.
Blue Guzz

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 10:22:03 AM »
I have a couple of joe rockets I use. light in color, high vis, and silver. You dont want a black one ! Here in Arizona, the way to ride in summer is with the mesh jacket, a T shirt underneath, and when it gets real hot, I like to wet my T shirt with a water bottle, and let it evaporate dry as I ride. Evaporative cooling!
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 10:32:13 AM »
Here in the Ozarks we're blessed with some really WET heat.  :grin: I don't care what you wear, it's NOT comfortable. I have a mesh jacket and douche my t shirt down with water like BBR said.  Also drink LOTS of water.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 10:32:13 AM »

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2024, 11:08:35 AM »
Yeah, I know what it's like to ride in miserable heat, guess I'm looking for a jacket suitable for 70's-80's heat in moderate humidity. That's why I'm wondering if in those ranges, a non or partial-mesh short jacket might be the best. Above that range all bets are off, and below my Tourmaster with the vents wide open works pretty good.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline jamesfjamesf

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2024, 11:19:00 AM »
Central MA here :-)  From 2011 (wow): I have a Cortech GX Air Series 2 mesh waist length jacket that I like a lot. It zips to Olympia Airglide 3 mesh Pants. Cortech GX Air 2 gloves complete the feeling like I'm riding in shorts and tshirt but they all have padding. I haven't tested the abrasion resistance yet.

jim

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2024, 11:40:31 AM »
Bad advice but if you leave the armor in they are all hot. Had 2 different ones, 1 black, 1 silver; not a lot of difference. The back armor out helps the most with heat. A tip on mesh, with a good rain jacket over them they make a good cold weather alternative. I used a Stearn fishing jacket

Offline QuickLime

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2024, 12:34:23 PM »
Boston area here! I recently got a Revit Airwave 3 and it flows an incredible amount of air. I would definitely recommend it for higher temps. Obviously it's always a trade-off of protection vs comfort, but the new Airwave 4 is CE AA rated and reportedly just as good in terms of airflow. My daily jacket is an A-stars Halo (with removable drystar jacket) and with the AA sleeves removed and chest/back vents open it's also surprisingly flowy. Usually good for me up to the 70s, then I want to switch to the full mesh. The Halo is great for a single jacket though, I've worn it down to the low 30s with the rain later as a windstopper, and then when it gets hot you can take that off, open the vents, etc.

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2024, 02:41:29 PM »
I wear an old Tourmaster black mesh jacket and it works well for me.  If it gets cold I use long sleeve underneath with a rain jacket on top and it is
surprising how well it will keep you warm. Of course with mesh jackets you wick away moisture and dehydrate quicker so you have to
be conscious of taking in more water.  Everything is a trade.   

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2024, 04:44:16 PM »
Try a motocross vest with all the padding—works for me in the garden state when it is over ninety…

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2024, 04:44:54 PM »
When I tumbled on the EV, my Joe Rocket jacket split above the left elbow pad.  It took the skin off and I still 1 x 3 in scar.

I picked up a mesh jacket at Cycle Gear Sedici that's lightweight and comfy as replacement. 

Recently my Brother have me Klim mesh jacket he purchased from Motorcyclegear for a good price.  He gave it to me because his phone was too large for his pocket and he uses Blutooth Comm system.  My phone fits.   It's substantially heavier that other jackets but it seems to have good airflow.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline EldoEVert

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2024, 06:34:43 PM »
  South Central PA here. I have a couple of First Gear mesh jackets. My silver one is the best on hot days. I was on my way to the Ohio Rally several years ago and was wearing my red one. It was hot and the armor was really bothering me. I stopped at a rest area and removed the padding. Not having enough room to pack it, I put it in the dumpster. I did have an extra set back home.
  My main concern was the name "First Gear." I was happy to find that it worked in all five gears on the EV. It did seem to work better on my shift less Convert.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2024, 06:57:05 PM »
I wear a POWER TRIP mesh with armor all summer or temps 80 and up. The humidity is not an issue for me.

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2024, 07:23:36 PM »
I wear a POWER TRIP mesh with armor all summer or temps 80 and up. The humidity is not an issue for me.

I reluctantly bought one of these from Amazon, although they're not available there at the moment, but they are on eBay. Great reviews. Figured the worse thing that could happen is I had to return it. After receiving it and using it now for 2 years, I agree with the reviews. This thing is fantastic and well worth the little money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305275358074?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&var=604239210211

Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2024, 08:16:11 PM »
I use a Vanson mesh or one from HELD.  Substantial-not lightweight and flows enough air for sure.
Losing skin is right up there with zero novacaine root canal.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 01:51:49 PM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2024, 10:37:33 PM »
Great reviews. Figured the worse thing that could happen is I had to return it. After receiving it and using it now for 2 years, I agree with the reviews. This thing is fantastic and well worth the little money.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/305275358074?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&var=604239210211

I'm glad you fessed up to buying one of these "thrifty"-priced jackets, there are a bazillion different variations of this style on Amazon & ebay, all with similar poorly-translated and obviously off-shore writeups, but surprisingly good-looking and well-made looking.  Tempting for the price. And light-colored is what I want, most have excessive black panels (in my opinion).

I see Tourmaster has a mesh jacket that gets good reviews, might go for that one because my Transition 3.0 fits so well and is well-made. But thanks for all the suggestions, I look up all of them to make comparisons.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2024, 04:36:21 AM »
Tourmaster Draft Air 3 for me since 2017 once summer begins.  On a cool mornings i'll run with the waterproof liner installed and remove when temps rise.

Art
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2024, 09:21:20 AM »
I figure I have over 400,000 miles on these. I have an original Joe Rocket Phoenix that's 15+ years old and has held up amazingly well. It went through a 60+ MPH crash with no harm. I wasn't so lucky, but I firmly believe it saved me from much worse. Right after I got it, I watched a rider go down on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was a low side at at least 50+ across and down both lanes of very coarse asphalt and there was no damage to her or the jacket. I'm impressed.
I have it and a cheap Sliders here in Ga. and another similar brand in Az. as my winter jacket.
 Get White, Silver or Yellow. Black is hot.
Don't waste your money on the lined and or moisture barrier ones. Go plain but allow room.
The Joe Rocket that is all ventelated with the biggest air holes works 100% better than jackets with small holes and fabric sleeves and shoulders.
If cold a light windbreaker or rain jacket over the top will work well. If real cold a heated jacket is the best bet. Using the Wind breaker and heaat is good to 25F or so.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2024, 11:30:17 AM »
What King of Fleece said , +1

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2024, 12:09:37 PM »
I muse a Vanson mesh or one from HELD.  Substantial-not lightweight and flows enough air for sure.
Losing skin is right up there with zero novacaine root canal.

I have an older textile(Cordura) Vanson mesh jacket and the leather Vanson jacket and pants. The window for the leather version is small where I currently live but they work well, the rest of the time I use the mesh jacket with some cheap vented pants that I'm sure will be dust if I ever crash.  Just took a look at what the Vanson products currently cost and glad that I bought mine many years ago. Vanson makes top notch gear and IMO well worth the money.

The Ventmax Vanson pants are on sale for $200 bucks.

https://www.vansonleathers.com/pants-and-chaps/197-10484-ventmax-pants-ODYS.html#/36-size-m/178-material_color-black_1000_den_corduramesh
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 12:14:15 PM by blackcat »
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline bronzestar1

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2024, 08:10:46 PM »
I bought a Vanson mesh jacket I found on FB Marketplace, has soft armor in the shoulders, elbows/forearms, and a back pad.  Wore it for the first time this afternoon, putting a few break-in miles on my new '23 V7 Special Edition.  I was actually pretty comfortable, but then the temps here in SE VA weren't sweltering or high humidity.  High temps is one thing, but combine that with high humidity, and it's going to be hard to find any kind of jacket that would be comfortable, and still offer decent protection.  When that happens, I'll just take the Lancia or Audi convertible out instead! 

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2024, 08:11:06 AM »
Revising what I said earlier. I got the bug to replace the very old Joe Rocket Phoenix plain Jane but all mesh jacket. The Turds quit making them! I suspect too many cheap knock offs.
So far I haven't found a full, large hole mesh from anyone. Yes, it really matters in the south. 
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline bronzestar1

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2024, 04:07:37 PM »
Revising what I said earlier. I got the bug to replace the very old Joe Rocket Phoenix plain Jane but all mesh jacket. The Turds quit making them! I suspect too many cheap knock offs.
So far I haven't found a full, large hole mesh from anyone. Yes, it really matters in the south.

Check your local FB Marketplace.  I've bought several jackets thru that source, and the good thing is you can try them on before purchasing.  As you probably know, sizes vary from maker to maker.  I have jackets from AGV, Alpine Stars, Fieldsheer, Olympia, and Vanson, all bought thru FB Marketplace.  I just took a quick look at some pics of the jackets I have, and it seems to me that the mesh holes on the Vanson one I have are larger than the other brands. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 07:00:52 PM by bronzestar1 »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2024, 05:13:27 PM »
The Power Trip mesh has large mesh openings for maximum air flow. Other than the padding it’s extremely vented. Mine is black and I have never had a light color hot weather jacket so I cannot attest to the difference dark vs light colors influence the heat effect. I can say that while moving at most any speed the wind goes through the jacket very efficiently.
Now if the wind is hot…. Well that’s a completely different conversation but the protection is still there, to a point.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 08:03:08 PM by Ncdan »

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2024, 06:36:58 PM »
... it seems to be that the mesh holes on the Vanson one I have are larger than the other brands.

I had a Joe Rocket mesh that I bought probably 2010's and sold it a few years ago because I didn't use it and it was toooooo hot, and as I recall it had a large-hole mesh to it. I'm older now and figure I'd better suffer a little bit of discomfort. Larger-mesh seems like a better design, wonder why so few have large mesh.

Thinking of a used Tourmaster Intake Air 4, but it's Hi-vis with black, and I'm thinking more in line with a full-light color.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online elrealistico

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2024, 06:49:27 PM »
Icon Mesh AF, Have had one for a couple years, its the only thing I can wear in summer in Florida, Comes in a lot of colors too, the latest ones have more Hiviz.
Drawback is no rib protection, but thats pretty much the tradeoff with any mesh jacket
2018 V7III Special
1978 T140V Bonneville
2004 EV Touring

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2024, 06:37:27 AM »
It depends on you area if I would even entertain a mesh jacket. Last year riding in Colorado and Utah where it is hot and dry a mesh jacket will dehydrate you like beef jerky. I have a non-mesh textile jacket and in those conditions you can soak you undershirt put on a jacket with a couple vents open and 15 minutes later your shirt is bone dry.

In the hot humid eastern USA a mesh jacket is more feasible. I have had them in the past but when its 100 degrees with 90% humidity riding around in the nude would not offer any relief from the oppressive humidity. Its hard to get any evaporative cooling when the air is saturated with moisture so a mesh jacket at least for me offers no significant cooling over a jacket with decent venting.

My biggest thing is I hate it when sweating and the jacket liner is sticking to your skin. I have found long sleeve Under Armour type shirts are a riders best friend.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2024, 06:48:44 AM »
My biggest thing is I hate it when sweating and the jacket liner is sticking to your skin. I have found long sleeve Under Armour type shirts are a riders best friend.

100%. I use a wicking shirt now on long summer days in the saddle. And that hot sweatiness is why I remember abandoning the Joe Rocket mesh I had, it was just too hot if you came to a standstill on the road here in CT, and traffic jams are a way of life here. But it was red/black, and I'm willing to try something else again.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2024, 07:34:54 AM »
It depends on you area if I would even entertain a mesh jacket. Last year riding in Colorado and Utah where it is hot and dry a mesh jacket will dehydrate you like beef jerky. I have a non-mesh textile jacket and in those conditions you can soak you undershirt put on a jacket with a couple vents open and 15 minutes later your shirt is bone dry.

In the hot humid eastern USA a mesh jacket is more feasible. I have had them in the past but when its 100 degrees with 90% humidity riding around in the nude would not offer any relief from the oppressive humidity. Its hard to get any evaporative cooling when the air is saturated with moisture so a mesh jacket at least for me offers no significant cooling over a jacket with decent venting.

Good points.  In what type of marinate sauce would you recommend soaking your shirt, to stay hydrated?  Probably good to stick with a local favorite.....   :grin:

I have a First Gear mesh jacket for a couple decades now.  Safety Green.  IMO, cooler than even riding in just a t-shirt due to keep the sun off you.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2024, 02:09:56 PM »
I have a REV'IT! Eclipse jacket that I really like. Now the REV'IT! Eclipse 2 is out. Add a back protector to it and you're set.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here