Author Topic: Am I correct in thinking (fuel tank venting question)  (Read 772 times)

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
Am I correct in thinking (fuel tank venting question)
« on: June 04, 2018, 09:15:20 AM »
On the 06 Breva 1100, there are two pipes coming from the tank.  One vent, one overflow?   I thought that they both terminated at the top of the tank in the fuel filler assembly.  On one side of the assembly there is a hole for overflow...on the other side a little plastic protuberance that I imagine is the venting connector.
I tied both tubes to a t fitting and then over to the tube that goes down the inside of the footpeg backet and is routed down the CARC arm.
Here's the interesting thing that is happening:  I start the bike and let it idle in the driveway while I put on my gear...only a minute or three of idling.   Somehow I have fuel dripping from the tube attached to the CARC arm.   I can only surmise that on my last "fill up",  a bit of fuel found its way into the overflow tube (where there is a low spot in the routing) and sat there until a vacuum was created by the vent tube.   I mean it looks like it would drip until the tank was emptied,  but isn't any way that the dripping is fuel is being pulled from the bottom of the tank!!?   
I'm going to separate the two pipes anyway...   The overflow I will keep tied to the tube going down the side of the bike to the CARC with a one-way valve installed...the vent tube will be routed somewhere else, out of harm's way.  There's so much empty space under the seat on that bike!
richy

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Am I correct in thinking (fuel tank venting question)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:31:43 AM »
I tied those two together on the Norge I had, and didn't have any trouble unless overfilled. I did the same thing on the Stelvio although I just have two separate tubes headed to the ground. FWIW.

John Henry
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:36:33 AM by Zoom Zoom »

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Am I correct in thinking (fuel tank venting question)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 10:00:54 AM »
I have to think it was pulling some fuel that made it into the overflow tube after a fill up.   Just a little off-putting to see a puddle of gas under the CARC!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:39:54 PM by rdbandkab »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here