Author Topic: Heck of a man. Malcolm Smith content .  (Read 1084 times)

Offline maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:32:33 AM by oldbike54 »
Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

oldbike54

Re: Heck of a man
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:54:25 PM »
 Always good to see a young person "discover" a legend , and Malcolm is a legend among legends :bow:

Dusty

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Heck of a man
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 08:20:04 AM »
Very cool to 'catch up' on Malcolm Smith's life! One of the things I like about Wildguzzi- the long term passion for all things 2 wheel (with a motor) that a lot of folks here share. Though a Guzzi is not in the cards for me right now, I still frequent this sight nearly every day. Thankfully or I might have missed this article. Just started my Roadster for the first time since Novemberish...below freezing and salt/sand on the roads is the only thing keeping me from riding :undecided:. Long winter... Aaarrrgghhh... On Any Sunday is one of the few movies that I own. I was a young lad living it when it came out in theaters and it highly fueled my lifelong passion. Thanks Malcolm! And thank you all for lots of good reading.

...by the way, I overlooked this post and would have been all over it sooner had the title mentioned Malcolm or On Any Sunday...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:29:14 AM by Adk.IBO »
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

oldbike54

Re: Heck of a man. Malcolm Smith content .
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 08:34:18 AM »
 Heading modified for clarity . Thanks Adk  :thumb:

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 08:34:18 AM »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 10:07:12 AM »
I’ve been a big fan of Malcolm Smith since I was a kid. Heck, I was a big fan of MSR products back when I rode in the dirt! He really does represent the best of motorcycling. A person that I would like to meet...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 10:43:37 AM »
I�ve been a big fan of Malcolm Smith since I was a kid. Heck, I was a big fan of MSR products back when I rode in the dirt! He really does represent the best of motorcycling. A person that I would like to meet...

When you watch him ride, on any of the videos from "On Any Sunday" on to the present day, you realize that Malcolm has some kind of special skill, some sort of internally wired connection, SOMETHING that makes him connect with any motorcycle he gets on.   He's obviously developed that skill since, and he's had the additional smarts to make a career out of doing what he loves ... Not many people can do all that!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 11:05:49 AM »
A true gentleman of the sport. I had the pleasure of working with him in Riverside at his (former) distributing company when it was absorbed by Tucker Rocky Distributing in the early 1990's. A nicer guy you wouldn't find anywhere, and he really could do anything! Don't miss out on buying the "coffee table" autobiography book about his life, entitled "Malcolm!"
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 11:07:49 AM by JACoH »

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 05:46:29 PM »
Enjoyed this article when I read it in another Bonnier publication.  I had to send it on to my Dad because of the "pile of brass instruments" or something to that effect... my Dad being a musician and an off-road racer back in the early 70's.  He too has a habit of building lamps out of old musical instruments.  Never talked to him about Malcolm, but I knew he had to know.  He did, and he thanked me for sending the article.  I'm sure he enjoyed it as much or possibly more than I.
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 08:33:45 PM »
Malcom Smith is and has always been a really good guy.   I had the privilege of meeting him at a race in Southern California about 10 years ago.  He just walked up and we started talking about the race and racing in general.   He was pretty crippled up from past injuries but from what I read, once you get him on a bike he still is an incredible talent.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here