Author Topic: "Barn Fresh" EV in Estate of Fallen Guzzista  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Iron Cross Junction

• Gosling
"Barn Fresh" EV in Estate of Fallen Guzzista
« on: July 07, 2021, 09:00:36 AM »

I saw, with sadness, the post about Tom Farley’s passing, https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=1764675;topic=111264.0.  A good man.

His daughter Holly is not, however, the only recent Guzzi family member left with her memories ... and his Guzzi.

At the request of an inmate on the Adventure Rider forum who is a family friend of the widow, Bob Wegman and I visited Fredonia, N.Y., in mid-May to look at her late husband’s pride and joy, a 2002 EV.  She hoped that it might get a new home where it would be restored, ridden, and loved.

Regrettably, her husband — Brian James "Briney Hey” Woods; some here may have known him — passed last February. 

He must have ached during his long illness to know that his EV was literally wasting away in a shed for several years.

I went back last month and took more photos.  Bob, N.J. Nick, and I might just offer to buy it for parts for our three EV’s, but the widow hopes it might again be a runner, thus this notice and “offer to receive offers” for the EV as is.

Here is one pic ...

More here:

https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/An-EV-in-Fredonia/n-FZMrzG/

Yes, it looks rough.  The bubbled paint on the tank is especially troubling, but, as with most else, fixable as a great winter project.

Clear title.  Bring a trailer.

Please direct any questions, comments, offers, ideas, etc., to me by PM.

Grazie,

Bill
Bill Hagan

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2004 V11 Ballabio, Sold; sigh
2007 Norge [NORJ], Sold; sigh
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Offline vf84pc

• Hatchling
Re: "Barn Fresh" EV in Estate of Fallen Guzzista
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 03:26:14 PM »
Hi,

I am interested in the EV, I am located in Buffalo 60 miles from Fredonia. What is she thinking for the price? I would also like to get a look at it in person.

Offline vf84pc

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 03:33:15 PM »
PM sent.

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 06:35:35 PM »

Scott,

I would be grateful if you responded to my several texts, PM's, and emails.

Thanks.

Bill
Bill Hagan

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 06:35:35 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 07:05:13 PM »
:sad: That is really rough. Would be a good donor bike for a Loop or early Tonti project, or maybe a good start for an "1100S".

Yes...!
Great idea, take a dead man’s bike away from under the nose of his family and break it up...
Priceless... :thumb:

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 07:38:18 PM »
Yes...!
Great idea, take a dead man’s bike away from under the nose of his family and break it up...
Priceless... :thumb:

I understand that view and, in the abstract, completely agree.

Morever, the widow in this case dreamed that someone would restore it to a new life on the road.

Scott (vf84pc) -- whom I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to reach -- is a nearby Guzzista who, I think, wanted to make it into a runner.

Be that as it may, there is a bit of metal immortality in having parts from a motorcycle in poor condition "living on" in the eaches by keeping others on the road.  It is certainly something that living recipients of deceased organ donors' "parts" appreciate.   :wink:

Anyway, yes, you are right: it would be great if that EV got back on the road again.  It was loved and needs a mechanical Lazarus!    :bike-037:

So ... Scott ... "Please Pick Up the White Courtesy Phone."

Bill

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 07:40:00 PM by Iron Cross Junction »
Bill Hagan

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 03:42:11 PM »
So, I get flamed for my post, but Bill posts this: "Bob, N.J. Nick, and I might just offer to buy it for parts for our three EV’s" and doesn't?

How thoughtless and uncaring of me. I will buy it, spend three times it's worth to resurrect it and then sell it at a loss just to make you feel good.  :grin:

I had no idea, Charlie, that you were such a sensitive fellow.   :grin:

Seriously, you are right and I started to mention in my reply earlier today that Bob, Nick, and I had offered the same, with a nod to the "reincarnation" component of parting out a venerable machine.

Bill

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 03:45:40 PM by Iron Cross Junction »
Bill Hagan

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 05:40:08 PM »
I will buy it, spend three times it's worth to resurrect it and then sell it at a loss just to make you feel good.  :grin:
Mate..
Take solace in the fact that nothing you say or do will alter my opinion of you.
I already feel good. Also you didn’t get “flamed”, all you blokes who work in the industry develop a hard nose, it’s not a criticism, just a fact.
If the guy was a rock spider that got locked up and only used the bike when cruising for boys, then by all means tear it to bits and dilute the memory, but this guy loved his bike and so does his family.
Don’t prolong the issue by trying to defend yourself.
Now...
Wasn’t that nice...? :popcorn:
Oh BTW..
I don’t think you would have the gall to tell the family that the bike “isn’t worth much”, but based on your post, I wouldn’t bet my house on it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 05:42:15 PM by Huzo »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 07:06:21 AM »
Huzo, the bike isn't worth much thats just the fact of the situation. I am sure the rider loved the bike dearly, but in the end he was not able to maintain it in running condition until his final days.  I am sure it holds some sentimental value to the family, but unless they are willing and able to have it restored to its former glory, it is just an old- not particularly valuable bike- rotting away in a barn.

It could be parted out to keep 3 other beloved and important (to their owners) EV's on the road... Or it could be reworked and renewed into something new and have new life as a running machine. Or it can sit under a tarp and rust away to dust.

It's pretty clear what a reasonable outcome could be. If you think is should a factory restoration is the only reasonable course , then the answer is clear- buy it and get busy.  If not, just be glad anyone has interest in it (or what it could become), and hope it rides the roads again in any capacity.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 08:09:00 AM »
Ouch!  Hurt feelings are running deep here!

I find that Mydol helps me get thru those 4 tough days each month.

Obviously the family knows the bike isn't worth much and they would like to see it restored rather than scrapped, which is why they still have it.

Plus, they are Upstate New Yorkers! All Upstate New Yorkers are familiar with the saying "F**k em if they can't take a joke!"

I'd bet they would give the bike to someone who said they would do whatever it takes to restore it!!!!!
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2021, 08:33:09 AM »
Not trying to distract this thread from its current heated debate, but if this is a 2002, how can it be an “80th Anniversary” model? Wasn’t the 2001 the 80th anniversary?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 08:35:24 AM by sdcr »
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Bob Wegman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 08:48:46 AM »
I would guess they had a few stickers left and milked their heritage for another year.  Kind of like the 2021 events being postponed this year for 2022. 
02 EV1100, 2010 V7 Classic, 80 Yamaha 650, 80 Yamaha SR500, 77 Yamaha XS650, 67 Honda 305 Superhawk, 66 Ducati 250 Monza(apart)
MGNOC # 20848
AMA# 548668

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 09:02:17 AM »
I realize this is a sensitive subject to some and it’s obvious emotions have been stirred.
Let’s all remember that being respectful to other WG members is requested and that personal attacks on another members character is a clear violation of the boards rules.

Thanks and carry on.

Dan

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 07:12:44 AM »
Not trying to distract this thread from its current heated debate, but if this is a 2002, how can it be an “80th Anniversary” model? Wasn’t the 2001 the 80th anniversary?

Ya, my 02 Cali stone has them also.
Paul B

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 07:23:53 AM »
Not trying to attack anyone or cause drama. I just think it's odd people are hoping someone will 'rescue' this bike and get it back on the road, but the only acceptable route to that goal is a full restoration to factory specs!  If you want it flying in the wind, does it really matter if it's a concurs resto or even if you bob the fenders and wrap the pipes?? The aim here should be to save it from further degradation and put a much-loved machine back into service.  That could be a tryke or sidecar tug, cafe racer hacked up in the shed, rattle can bobber, or even engine doner to save a different guzzi and keep that one rolling for another 20 years!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2021, 05:00:02 PM »
Hopefully the bike, or parts of it can live on.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 07:44:44 PM by TN Mark »

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2021, 05:35:54 PM »
I remember meeting Tom at the VA Rallies in the 2000's. Sorry to see things wind up like this. He was a good guy.

And you really gotta have a fire in your belly to restore a bike. Its a special kind of marathon!
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2021, 06:26:43 PM »
First, WRT the "family didn't step up to take care of it, and now that it's past the point of salvage, they want it gone -- yet still dictate how it will be used" and similar sentiments, FGS. 

There is no family, just a widow with happy memories of her husband who loved it and declined until his end while the bike, too, headed that way.  What I posted at the top was that "She hoped that it might get a new home where it would be restored, ridden, and loved."  "Hoped" is some distance from "dictate."  Moreover, she is fine with the "reincarnation" approach.

Bill
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 11:57:12 AM by Iron Cross Junction »
Bill Hagan

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 07:01:41 PM »
If it were closer to me, I'd consider buying it for no other reason than to see how hard it is to put 17" tubeless spoke wheels on a MilleGT.
1990 MilleGT

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 07:08:19 PM »
I remember meeting Tom at the VA Rallies in the 2000's. Sorry to see things wind up like this. He was a good guy.

And you really gotta have a fire in your belly to restore a bike. Its a special kind of marathon!

I helped his daughter find homes for at least three of his bikes - my friend Joe bought the V50 III and 750 Breva.

I'll eventually be restoring the late Chuck Galbraith's Ambassador. It would make more sense to part it out since it was rear-ended and the past 36 years haven't been kind to it. But, there's a spare frame, nicely repainted tank and fenders, so that's a start. Plus I know how much it means to Pat.

Yeah, I'm such a "hardnose"...  :rolleyes: :grin:
Charlie

Offline vf84pc

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2021, 10:38:57 AM »
I am the guy who is buying the bike. The rims have good chrome it needs new fork tubes, the motor is not seized but I am sure it will need some seals and various bits.
I just bought a $50.00 white EV tank it has a dent but it is clean.  I am going to use that tank while I redo the existing tank. Does anybody know where I can get the pinstriping tape? I just met a guy who did his chrome BSA tank with a rattle can and let me tell you it looked great! Concourse quality? No but I don't see to many trailer queens at guzzi ralleys. I am a huge fan of triumphs and BSA`s I have a few project in my garage so when you say "restore" I know that drill. Those engines are way overbuilt and I think with some TLC, maintenance and some new parts she will roll. I hope to take it for a ride next spring, if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations please let me know. I am going to do my best to get it back on the road but if it proves too costly it be a donor bike for my EVT. Remember "Ride em, Don't hide em"

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2021, 10:58:21 AM »
Good on yer, vf84pc!   :grin:

Those engines are way overbuilt and I think with some TLC, maintenance and some new parts she will roll.

I think you've got the right attitude. It ain't EVAH gonna be a show winner without a ridiculous amount of money thrown
at it, but it'll be a great daily driver for a coupla thousand - maybe less. Nothing wrong with a rattle can paint job - some
folks do VERY nice work with rattle cans. (A lot depends on who's wielding the can... :laugh:) If the motor isn't seized and
doesn't leak, it won't need too much, methinks. Fork tubes are toast, which are probably the most expensive parts you'll
have to buy.

Please let us know how it goes!

As Dusty said......    :afro:

-Stretch

1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2021, 11:40:25 AM »
Good to hear that it’s being saved.

“  The rims have good chrome it”
Your comment about the rims being chrome, I thought that these EV tubeless spoke rims are all aluminum?

I am the guy who is buying the bike. The rims have good chrome it needs new fork tubes, the motor is not seized but I am sure it will need some seals and various bits.
I just bought a $50.00 white EV tank it has a dent but it is clean.  I am going to use that tank while I redo the existing tank. Does anybody know where I can get the pinstriping tape? I just met a guy who did his chrome BSA tank with a rattle can and let me tell you it looked great! Concourse quality? No but I don't see to many trailer queens at guzzi ralleys. I am a huge fan of triumphs and BSA`s I have a few project in my garage so when you say "restore" I know that drill. Those engines are way overbuilt and I think with some TLC, maintenance and some new parts she will roll. I hope to take it for a ride next spring, if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations please let me know. I am going to do my best to get it back on the road but if it proves too costly it be a donor bike for my EVT. Remember "Ride em, Don't hide em"
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2021, 11:59:09 AM »
The 2002-2004 I believe are chromed aluminum or alloy, not sure, but they do have a chrome layer that acts up from what I've seen online in ads and such.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2021, 12:05:37 PM »

Scott, the EV Gang of Three who were going to cannibalize it could not be more pleased to see you buying it with some expectation of making it a runner again.

As likely do you (and many others here), we three have "extra" parts and pieces lying around that may be of use to you in this project.  Please let us know as things progress if you need something.  If we can, we will.

Bill
Bill Hagan

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2021, 04:41:25 PM »
Your local Sherwin Williams auto paint store has all the supplies you could ever need. No affiliation, just a happy customer for many years of one we have locally.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here