Author Topic: The Usual Suspects...  (Read 787 times)

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
The Usual Suspects...
« on: June 03, 2021, 07:51:35 AM »
The AZ Grey Fox...The Raccoon...The large, rogue Javelina!  Just another night in..."The Wildlife Corridor!" :wink:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: The Usual Suspects...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 10:24:01 AM »
Add the pigs hunted for food in the area?

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 10:37:57 AM »
Add the pigs hunted for food in the area?

Yes, I believe some people do...but they are "stinky" because of a musk gland, and it takes a special technique to prepare them for food.  Never had one, but they say they make good "jerky", (???)
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Griso8V

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 03:22:13 PM »
Those are Javelinas if I am not mistaken.  If they are Javelina, they are not the best tasting and even when "treated" correctly the meat is not very good.  My brother in law, we call him the "Great White Hunter" gave us some meat and it was pretty bad...Maybe just not prep correctly...don't know.
Someone told me that they are not related to pigs but closer to dogs...Again, not sure...
They are kinda cute in a homely way I think...
Tony

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 03:22:13 PM »

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 03:49:29 PM »
My Brother in Law, who hunts has given us properly "prepared " javelina meat, and I have had  grandma , who could make a shoe sole taste good,cook it many ways, even soaking in milk,and adding juniper berries to remove the gamyness, and to no avail, it always tastes like crap. my BIL was careful to excise the musk gland on the back, leaving clear margins and everything, then actually soaking the meat in iced salt water.
   Folks in these parts of AZ know how to clean/cook these critters the best you can, they are just not a good tasting meat IMHO !  The folks I do know, that enjoy it, are all hunters, and they cook it on a plow disc( al disco) like a big wok,meat chopped up in small pieces,and loaded with chopped jalapenos, and onions, and beer, and then they make burritos,and pour hot salsa , and squeeze lime juice on top at the table.
   I think it  also helps if you already have a few beers in you when you eat it, for sure!  :wink:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 04:06:44 PM »
Sounds kind of like groundhogs.
I got unto shooting them for the local farmers, as  they make holes in the pastures and cows snd horses can break legs in them, so I decided to try and eat one because it seemed wrong to just shoot them and throw them over the fence.  So a buddy who I hunted with and myself decided to bake one in the oven. We skinned and dressed the critter and started baking at 350 degrees. The longer it cooked the worse it stunk!! After about 30 minutes we couldn’t take it any longer. We had placed it on a pine board to cook it on so we removed the hog and board, dumped the critter in the woods behind the cabin and ate the pine board with cabbage and boiled potatoes for our supper.
This may or may not be a true story about eating the board but the part about the groundhog is definitely true!
We found out later by an old mountain woman that we use to cut wood for, and told her about the situation, that they have nodules in different places in their bodies, like being their legs and forearms. These nodules collect the poisons in the grasses they eat, which must be removed prior to cooking. Well that’s fine and dandy but I never tried to eat another one and decided that anything that stinks that bad when cooking needed to die anyhow.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 04:26:10 PM »
Those are Javelinas if I am not mistaken.  If they are Javelina, they are not the best tasting and even when "treated" correctly the meat is not very good.  My brother in law, we call him the "Great White Hunter" gave us some meat and it was pretty bad...Maybe just not prep correctly...don't know.
Someone told me that they are not related to pigs but closer to dogs...Again, not sure...
They are kinda cute in a homely way I think...
Tony

That's correct, O'-Tony-the-Naturalist.... :grin: :laugh: :wink:

They are indeed Javelina, and are NOT pigs, but rather "Collared Peccaries", and they migrated up from South America.

According to the Arizona Game and Fish Department, javelinas are members of the peccary family; hoofed mammals that originated in South America. Texas A&M University states that javelinas are distant relatives of the wild pig and the hippo, but they are native to the Western Hemisphere.Jun 22, 2016
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 04:28:19 PM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 07:43:17 AM »
The regular, nightly Javelina Patrol - "The scourge of gardeners throughout the Southwest!"

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline SteveRivet

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 07:49:09 AM »
My Brother in Law, who hunts has given us properly "prepared " javelina meat, and I have had  grandma , who could make a shoe sole taste good,cook it many ways, even soaking in milk,and adding juniper berries to remove the gamyness, and to no avail, it always tastes like crap. my BIL was careful to excise the musk gland on the back, leaving clear margins and everything, then actually soaking the meat in iced salt water.
   Folks in these parts of AZ know how to clean/cook these critters the best you can, they are just not a good tasting meat IMHO !  The folks I do know, that enjoy it, are all hunters, and they cook it on a plow disc( al disco) like a big wok,meat chopped up in small pieces,and loaded with chopped jalapenos, and onions, and beer, and then they make burritos,and pour hot salsa , and squeeze lime juice on top at the table.
   I think it  also helps if you already have a few beers in you when you eat it, for sure!  :wink:
Rick.

A guy that works for me grew up in Nicaragua and said they tasted alright if you put them in stew.

-Steve
2014 R1200GS

Previously:  1999 Bassa, 1972 Eldorado, 1986 Lemans IV, 2008 1200 Sport, 2011 Stelvio

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 08:17:37 AM »
I suppose they are okay if you like stinky stew.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 08:31:20 AM »
Years ago, a co-worker of mine, brought in some home-made Javelina jerky, and it was "stinky" as well... :shocked: :rolleyes: :huh:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 08:36:14 AM »
Game & gamey... hard to compare wild meat to anything farm-raised.  Proper dressing and basic prep vary significantly from animal to animal.   The best old reference I've used and keep is the LL Bean Game & Fish Cookbook.  It has good instruction at the beginning of each section regarding various glands and special structures that must be addressed properly to produce the most palatable results.  Lots of awful tasting meat has as much or more to do with how the meat was contaminated during the improper dressing & fabrication-

https://www.amazon.com/L-L-Bean-Game-Fish-Cookbook/dp/0394511913

But that's still not going to change the uniquely inherent qualities of wild game meat.  There's nothing like opening a ziploc bag of game jerky that's warmed a little in the sun or your pocket and getting a big whiff of nature.  It is what it is.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here