Author Topic: VA Guzzi Rally, June 25-27, 2021 (MERGED TOPICS)  (Read 2198 times)

Offline mojohand

• Gaggle Hero
VA Guzzi Rally, June 25-27, 2021 (MERGED TOPICS)
« on: June 09, 2021, 06:40:10 AM »
Who else is attending? I'm definitely gonna be there.

Here are the deets from MGNOC:

Jun 25 to Jun 27, 2021
38TH-39TH VIRGINIA MOTO GUZZI RALLY

Willville Motorcycle Camp, Meadows of Dan, Virginia, information here: willvillebikecamp.c om. Willville is located three-quarter mile west of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Join your fellow Moto Guzzi riders and motorcycle enthusiasts' and enjoy the great roads of the Blue Ridge Mountains in southwestern Virginia! Visit with old friends and make new ones! You'll be glad you did! Official rally registration site: ronkom.wixsite.com/vamg. Two nights' tent camping, Friday and Saturday meals, coffee all day, rider awards. additional information contact: Rallymaster, Bob Corfield vtwinbob@yahoo.com or 724-272-5827.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 12:55:27 PM by Ncdan »
Richmond, VA, USA
-----
2020 BMW R1250RS
-----
Previous: 2000 Jackal, 04 Breva 750, 06 Breva 1100, 07 Norge, 09 Griso, 12 Norge, 14 FJR, 14 Striple, 16 SpeedTriple, 18 KTM Super Adventure S

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: VA Guzzi Rally, June 25-27, 2021
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 08:13:32 AM »
I will be there, along with my friend John.
Charlie

F-Fred

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 08:32:13 AM »
Planning on it. 

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 09:56:30 AM »
I am riding from the Northern Kentucky area.  Anyone else going on Friday morning from my area?
Blue Guzz

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 09:56:30 AM »

Offline kpmurphy

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 01:46:46 PM »
Blu guzz,

If the weather is good I plan to go. Need to figure out how to carry my stuff on the new bike.

Offline MAC

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 02:39:53 PM »
I'm going,will be there Friday in the morning or Thursday evening.
Mike Cignarella
1998 EV
2008 Wing
2015 K1600GT

Offline mojohand

• Gaggle Hero
Richmond, VA, USA
-----
2020 BMW R1250RS
-----
Previous: 2000 Jackal, 04 Breva 750, 06 Breva 1100, 07 Norge, 09 Griso, 12 Norge, 14 FJR, 14 Striple, 16 SpeedTriple, 18 KTM Super Adventure S

Offline mojohand

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 11:12:22 PM »
One of my all-time fav rallies! Too, Bob C. told me about the new caterer--great menu!
Richmond, VA, USA
-----
2020 BMW R1250RS
-----

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 08:20:20 AM »
Planning on a Wedn. arrival

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 10:05:07 AM »
Planning on a Wedn. arrival

Great!  Save me a spot next to yours so that you can enjoy my snoring :)

If all goes well I'll be leaving Asheville around 2:00pm Friday.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline brother dave

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 04:04:30 PM »
Never attended a Guzzi rally but planning on this one.  Should hit the top of the Blue Ridge Parkway about 9AM and then mid afternoon arrival.  Space is limited but I'm sure I'll have room for a bottle or two if anyone cares to share a drink.
Dave
2007 California Vintage (left the nest)
2018 V7 III Special
2021 V85 Centenario

Offline mnuttall87

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 11:29:26 AM »
Too late to sign up for this?  Would love to attend this weekend.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 03:34:56 PM »
Too late to sign up for this?  Would love to attend this weekend.

No, not at all. You can register at the rally, it just costs a little more than if you'd pre-registered before the 11th.
Charlie

Offline Calimero

• Gosling
  • stelvista
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 12:45:33 PM »
Great!  Save me a spot next to yours so that you can enjoy my snoring :)

If all goes well I'll be leaving Asheville around 2:00pm Friday.

looks like I am going to be able to be there as well, arriving Friday
tutte le strade portano a Roma

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 04:19:33 PM »
looks like I am going to be able to be there as well, arriving Friday

Good man.  The weather looks good so I should be in around 6:00pm
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2021, 06:49:32 PM »
Never attended a Guzzi rally but planning on this one.  Should hit the top of the Blue Ridge Parkway about 9AM and then mid afternoon arrival.  Space is limited but I'm sure I'll have room for a bottle or two if anyone cares to share a drink.
Dave

If you're not already aware, the BRP is closed for a stretch - from a bit north of Roanoke to a bit south of Roanoke - so stay alert for the detour signs. 
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline mnuttall87

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2021, 09:21:13 PM »
First time going to the VA guzzi rally - looking forward to meeting a few of you folks.  Should be there around 1 or 2PM on Friday.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2021, 10:05:20 PM »
I spoke with Bob today.
Lisa and I are going to come for a while on Friday on our way home from Ash county.  We can only stay a few hours and try to meet as many of you guys as possible.
Everyone ride safe on your way in.

Dan/Danny

Offline brother dave

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2021, 10:06:57 PM »
If you're not already aware, the BRP is closed for a stretch - from a bit north of Roanoke to a bit south of Roanoke - so stay alert for the detour signs.
Thanks for the heads up. Will plan appropriately.
2018 V7 III Special
2021 V85 Centenario

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Willville MG rally report
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2021, 04:51:31 PM »
On my way to my river place I made a 200 mile  loop so I could spend some time at the Willville Rally in VA. My goal was to meet as many MG Chase folks as possible In the few hours I could spend there.
I Was able to meet at least a half dozen Guzzi forum folks and that was great! Folks were still coming in when I left at a little after 3:00pm.
I was surprised to see all the non Guzzi members there, on non Guzzi’s,  however all great folks!
Bob was up to his waist in alligators logging riders in and doing the host stuff. I got to spend a little time with him but didn’t want to hold him up from his duties.
I encouraged all of the forum members I met to post a report of the event when  they returned home, for everyone to enjoy.
The campground was beautiful, with a neat little mountain stream running around it and most campsites were actually right on the creek. I forgot to take some pictures of the grounds, sorry.
I think I’ll try to go for the weekend next year and would definitely recommend this rally to anyone who loves to camp in the mountains 👍
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 10:05:15 PM by Ncdan »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
Re: Willville MG rally report
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2021, 10:02:02 AM »
VA is a great rally! Willville is a super campsite anytime you pass thru on the parkway.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2021, 03:34:23 PM »
Sorry I didn't get to meet you.
This was a great rally, only the bare minimum of "rules" to keep it fun for all.
The campground was not closed to regular business so there were a number of folks there who were not at our event.  We took them in anyway.  Bob shared left-over dinners with those that wanted them not of our group so I am sure those people will tell their buddies what a great group the MG guys are. 
The furthest riders were from Delaware I believe and there were folks from Florida and all over.  The oldest rider was 83, youngest 33 so an even 50 years of separation.  The oldest Guzzi was a 67 V700 that sounded good.  I think the count was 107 but others can correct that. 
The facilities and showers were very nice.
Of course the roads were fine as would be expected.  The Parkway is very different from NC where I usually go. Less twisty and technical so the entertainment is looking around as compared to the road as entertainment in NC.
I would definitely recommend this rally to any Guzzi guy or girl.
Blue Guzz

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2021, 07:01:13 PM »
A great VA rally as always and thanks to all for the hard work.  We even had our own bluegrass concert by the fireplace!  Nearly perfect weather and a Hemming's Great Race stop in Galax were also highlights.

At the bourbon tasting tent I'm sure that all of the important questions of the day were answered..   If only I could remember any of it!

Hope to see everyone again in Cruso first week of August.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline mnuttall87

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2021, 07:39:29 PM »
The furthest riders were from Delaware I believe and there were folks from Florida and all over.  The oldest rider was 83, youngest 33 so an even 50 years of separation.

I got to walk away with that "Youngest Rider" award this year!  I turn 34 tomorrow.

F-Fred

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2021, 09:37:21 PM »
A good time was had by all and the food was great.

Some of the cool autos in Galax:

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 09:38:33 PM by F-Fred »

Offline brother dave

• New Egg
Virginia Moto Guzzi Rally Trip Report
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2021, 06:48:15 AM »
I made the trek to my very first Moto Guzzi Rally this weekend.  Determined to make getting there half the fun I woke early and road my V7 along back roads from Ashburn to 15 and then 29 to Charlottesville and then discovered 250 was closed to Afton.  Undeterred I used a combination of my nose and Google to navigate some of the prettiest single lane country roads to eventually hit the Blue Ridge Parkway.   At the first visitors center (whose comfort facilities I can recommend) I picked up a "Love the RIDE" map as locating gas near the parkway can be a challenge.  I popped off at Buena Vista for fuel and processed meat snacks and then continued south stopping many times to take in the view.  The Parkway is closed near Roanoke and a 30 mile or so detour through town was required but thankfully it was well marked.  The entire ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway was fantastic and I arrived at Willville about 3 PM.  Registration was a snap thanks to Bob and his crack staff and I found a nice spot next to the stream to setup.  I met my neighbors Stephen and Matt (both riding V85TTs) and we decided to go into town for a beer run.   The gas station/grocery store was our best option and while there we met Mark (also attending the rally) and his sweet old Cali picking up refreshments as well.  As we had bonded over beer purchase we sat and drank and chatted when we got back to camp.  Dinner was sausage, peppers, and onion... an appropriate and excellent meal for a Moto Guzzi event.  I cracked our the bourbon and made a very nice mixer with lemonade to sip on.  Will started a campfire about 8 and we and all of our fellow Moto Guzzi riders (along with a few Yamaha and Harley folks) enjoyed drink and fellowship.  At bedtime I downed my "camping meds" of Benadryl and Motrin to help with sleep and said goodnight.  I cannot lie that I had not fully prepared for this trip.  Thursday night after work I had dug into the old backpaking gear and found a summer weight bag, Thermarest ultralight pad, and other camping stuff that I crammed into one sidebag (the other is on back order from Germany :) and a roll bag along with clothing and alcohol.  I managed to forget my sweet camping pillow and my jacket in a stuff sack was a poor substitute :(  I awoke early the next morning sore and stiff, but Bob's excellent coffee put me right, and after a few cups I grabbed my three new best friends and we headed to Janes Country Cafe for breakfast.  I can highly recommend the biscuits and gravey and the coffee was almost as good as Bob's.  After breakfast I along with Mark embarked on the Indian Valley loop recommended by the Willville website.  Stephen and Matt sneered at us as they took off on their V85s to ride fire roads, trails, and visit family (Matt his inlaws and Stephen his brother who just happened to be passing through).  The ride was fantastic.  Winding country roads, amazing views, twisting up and down mountains, and very little traffic.  We road right by the Boy Scouts Blue Ridge Mountain Council reservation and we took a detour to the entry to Camp Powhattan where I took my Boy Scout Troop for many years.  While taking pictures a couple of women drove up and admired our bikes... or was it us they were admiring???  We chatted for a bit and then as my wedding ring stared to burn my flesh we hit the road again.  Back in camp after about 100 miles and 3 hours the rest of the afternoon was spent meeting our fellow campers and talking Moto Guzzi lore.  Dinner that evening was another home run with kale salad, pasta, chicken, an cannoli.  Paired with bourbon and lemonade it was a feast.  After dinner we moved into the awards/raffle/door prize.  At some point I opted for the back massage ($1 a minute and highly recommended at 10 minutes) and during this they must have called my name for the door prize (they called a lot of names).  At the very end Bob went back through the folks that had not responded and I sheepishly had to go collect one for the few leftover "prizes a botte of hand sanitizer.  Given the early winners had collected helmets, t shirts, and other fantastic loot I may have made a grave error but that's the way the cookie crumbles.  My friend Matt got the award for youngest rider and after it was done we headed to the campfire.  There was a goup of blue grass band already there playing and singing and we had a great time listening to them, telling lies, and passing around the whiskey bottles ("yes I've been vaccinated I swear").  Morning came early and  the skies were closed and gray with heavy dew covering anything.  I drank a couple of cups of coffee and ate a doughnut (thanks Bob!)  As I was packing it began to rain so I said my goodbyes and was on the road before 7.   As I headed up the mountain on the Blue Ridge Parkway north, the rain stopped, the skies cleared, and my old friend blue sky returned.  In fact the biggest hazard was the blinging sun when the Parkway veered east.  I dropped off in Roanoke, got cas and more caffeine, and then headed  on state highways towards Lynchburg (where I stopped for a ham biscuit and more coffee at Bojangles), then Bedford, Charlottesville, Culpepper, Warrenton, and finally home by 2 PM.  Virginia does a good job with their state highways and I kept having to scold the Guzzi for breaking 70.  Safe and sound at home I cleaned my gear, washed my bike, and contemplated the experience.  Bottom line is it was a home run!  Many thanks to Bob and his crew of volunteers.  I will see you next year!
Dave

2018 V7 III Special
2021 V85 Centenario

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2021, 07:17:02 AM »
Thanks for the pix, Fred.  :thumb: Hated to miss that one..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2021, 09:19:22 AM »
Very enjoyable weekend away, good to see friends again for the first time since 2019. Met "jumpmaster"/John at the Sheetz in Brunswick, then Dave at another Sheetz in Front Royal. Nice ride down the valley and up on the Parkway. Not fun detouring through Roanoke in rush hour traffic, but that was the worst part. Got down to Meadows of Dan at 6 pm - just in time for dinner.

Saturday we had planned to ride over Galax to see cars from the "Great Race" stop there, but John's Eldo had other ideas. Generator bracket was very loose, so we ended up fixing that in the motel parking lot, then going out for lunch and a relaxing 50 mile loop afterwards.

Sunday, John and I decided to try a different route home - east of the Blue Ridge at first, avoiding Roanoke. Up through Ferrum, Rocky Mount, Bedford, Big Island and Buena Vista to Lexington, then 11 north. Nice ride, interesting small towns. Attempting to avoid the rain that was obviously ahead of us, at New Market we took 211 over to 340 at Luray, but the rain caught us as we left Front Royal and we got soaked. Waited out the rain at Double Tollgate and again at White Post, but it finally cleared enough to see where we were going. The usual three mile back-up at Harpers Ferry going into MD, but it started moving (slowly). Home about 7 pm.

Big thanks to Bob, Joan, Ron, Alice and everyone else that made the rally happen!

My Convert, John's Eldo at the first of many Sheetz stops.

Joined by Dave on his Eldo at Front Royal.

Saturday morning - wrenching on John's Eldo. A washer had split, allowing the generator and bracket to loosen.

Recipient of the "Chuck Galbraith Best Loopframe Award". Owned by Tommy Bennett, restored by Tom Hetrick.

Charlie

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2021, 10:43:20 AM »
V
Saturday we had planned to ride over Galax to see cars from the "Great Race" stop there, but John's Eldo had other ideas. Generator bracket was very loose, so we ended up fixing that in the motel parking lot, then going out for lunch and a relaxing 50 mile loop afterwards.

Big thanks to Bob, Joan, Ron, Alice and everyone else that made the rally happen!

My Convert, John's Eldo at the first of many Sheetz stops.

Joined by Dave on his Eldo at Front Royal.

Saturday morning - wrenching on John's Eldo. A washer had split, allowing the generator and bracket to loosen.

I have to extend a special "Thanks!" to Charlie for saving the rally experience for me.  With his expertise, Dave's expert supervision & my minimally helpful "mechanic's helper" participation, Charlie turned what would have been impossible for me to do at the rally site & would take me 4-5 hours to do in my own garage into about an hour & a half's job in the motel parking lot.  We even had a tree providing much welcomed shade for our labors.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Virginia Moto Guzzi Rally Trip Report (merged)
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2021, 11:53:05 AM »
Sounded like fun. Thanks for sharing!

Tom
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 12:52:24 PM by Ncdan »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here