Author Topic: NGC Help name my RV, NOW surging gen fix  (Read 2635 times)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: NGC Help name my RV
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2021, 12:35:42 PM »
"Tortuga" - Spanish for turtle. The nose of the cab sticking out of the camper body kind looks like a turtle's head sticking out it's shell. Plus it's likely not exactly fast.  :wink:

It's the unofficial name of my brother's VW LT21 based Karmann Distance Wide.

Charlie

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2021, 04:32:50 PM »
Got her home, drives nice!
 Generator surges and I've been running it a couple hours with premium in the tank and a can of seafoam but still surging. The shop who cleaned the carb says you can't get a carb kit, have to buy a new carb, we will see if I need to go that far. Buddy Bones says it's hard to keep a generator from some surging.

i found an altitude dial set at 3000' so I turned it down (we at about 600') and most of the surging is gone.. YIPPEE   :cool:
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2021, 04:56:58 PM »
“altitude dial”?
Please elaborate. Found on the generator itself?  Can you post a pic?
Might be useful info for me for future reference re my rig.
Thanks
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2021, 05:09:38 PM »
i found an altitude dial set at 3000' so I turned it down (we at about 600') and most of the surging is gone.. YIPPEE   :cool:

I've got a Champion roll-on 3k inverter generator.  I had to purchase a slide-in jet for 5000 ft and above. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2021, 05:09:38 PM »

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2021, 05:13:20 PM »
Probably a low speed jet controlled by a needle to adjust the mixture.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2021, 05:48:02 PM »

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
Re: NGC Help name my RV, NOW surging gen fix
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2021, 06:11:56 PM »

Good catch FOTO,  glad you solved it easily and cheap too!

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2021, 07:00:22 PM »
Why does the first image look like a disconnect between the carb and the intake manifold?

I'm assuming you have a generator that runs at a fixed RPM to produce 60 CPS AC voltage, not an inverter that changes speed as power requirements increase.

'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2021, 07:20:49 PM »

Why does the first image look like a disconnect between the carb and the intake manifold?

A little hard to see, Phenolic spacer for heat dissipation/ isolation.

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2021, 07:38:37 PM »
Foto, see that screw on the bottom of the float bowl. If you are going to park it for a while, loosen that screw temporarily. That will DRAIN the float bowl and eliminate a LOT of headaches from varnish in the carb.
Most people start the generator every few weeks. I just drain the float bowl on mine.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2021, 08:22:11 PM »
The larger issue, where can you camp now?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2021, 08:54:44 PM »
Camping all over, with a good generator we can boondock, State and National forests like Superior National Forest, nice and cool up there...almost 4 million acres of woods and water. You can camp anywhere there is a pull over or find one of many dispersed campsite that are rustic. Not many regulations on where you camp.
Plus I've found a lot of open RV spots mid week, it's not all booked like they say.
 We already have bookings at two Corps of Engineers campgrounds that are all up and down the Mississippi and other waterways out west. Best part of that is the discount I get with my lifetime seniors national parks pass. Reduces the camp site to half price so $28 for 2 nights (w/electric and water) at a glorious park at the Cross Lake dam a chain of 16 huge pristine lakes up north on the Miss headwaters.
Some hwy rest stops allow overnight parking or there's always Cracker Barrel and Wallmart lots.
I'll post some pics end of next week from Big Woods State park.. no skeeters there because there is no standing water, streams only in a patch of un cut timber.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2021, 08:56:23 PM »
Foto, see that screw on the bottom of the float bowl. If you are going to park it for a while, loosen that screw temporarily. That will DRAIN the float bowl and eliminate a LOT of headaches from varnish in the carb.
Most people start the generator every few weeks. I just drain the float bowl on mine.
I thought of that, so the carb pump or something cuts the flow from the truck gas tank, right? I don't see a fuel tap to turn off.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2021, 10:05:11 PM »

The fuel shut off is the solenoid in the bottom of the fuel bowl...they stole it from Guzzi :evil:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2021, 10:34:22 PM »
Camping all over, with a good generator we can boondock, State and National forests like Superior National Forest, nice and cool up there...almost 4 million acres of woods and water. You can camp anywhere there is a pull over or find one of many dispersed campsite that are rustic. Not many regulations on where you camp.
Plus I've found a lot of open RV spots mid week, it's not all booked like they say.
 We already have bookings at two Corps of Engineers campgrounds that are all up and down the Mississippi and other waterways out west. Best part of that is the discount I get with my lifetime seniors national parks pass. Reduces the camp site to half price so $28 for 2 nights (w/electric and water) at a glorious park at the Cross Lake dam a chain of 16 huge pristine lakes up north on the Miss headwaters.
Some hwy rest stops allow overnight parking or there's always Cracker Barrel and Wallmart lots.
I'll post some pics end of next week from Big Woods State park.. no skeeters there because there is no standing water, streams only in a patch of un cut timber.

OK,  it's stuffed in the Rockies, maybe the Lakes is the place
John L 

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2021, 07:32:46 AM »
I thought of that, so the carb pump or something cuts the flow from the truck gas tank, right? I don't see a fuel tap to turn off.

On my Onan, the pump is electric. It pulls fuel out of the main tank at about 1/3 tank, so you can't empty the tank. The start switch has two positions, one just runs the pump to fill the float bowl, and the other direction cranks the motor. When you kill the generator it turns off the ignition, and the solenoid in the bottom of the float bowl closes the main jet to prevent it from backfiring.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2021, 07:54:55 AM »
Just thought of a name..

Arvy.

Glad i could help  :popcorn:
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2021, 12:49:58 PM »
Just thought of a name..

Arvy.

Glad i could help  :popcorn:
thats pretty good but we're going with LleftHome. The top one with arrow is going on back.. they are that blue reflective stuff that hwy signs are made of, my brother works for 3M.

post image free
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2021, 12:55:54 PM »
On our first trip. Blow out.. roadside assistant fixed it on side of road for $418. My insurance RSA plan should cover it.

Got to our site, Big Woods State Park 2.5 hours late. LR, the campground is about 1/3 full, plenty of open sites.

I have good internet through Verizon hot spot.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2021, 01:22:59 PM »
First thing that come to my mind when i see RV.
Ryan Villopoto... you could call it the "Poto"

Or one of these perhaps,

Vista van..
Panorama... (Dodge only)
trail tugger...
homely...
Escape room...
FUBAR...
Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2021, 02:54:04 PM »
On our first trip. Blow out.. roadside assistant fixed it on side of road for $418. My insurance RSA plan should cover it.

Got to our site, Big Woods State Park 2.5 hours late. LR, the campground is about 1/3 full, plenty of open sites.

I have good internet through Verizon hot spot.
If all your tires are the same age you should replace the other 5 or there's a high probability they will fail is a similar (or more catastrophic) way. Bought my Class C with 6 beautiful looking 7 year old Goodyear truck tires mounted. About 1,200 miles into a cross country trip the vehicle picked up wobbles at highway speeds. Stopped at a front end shop figuring it was alignment. Owner pulls a wheel and hand spins it on the balancer. There was about a 3/8 inch hop in the thread where it was beginning to delaminate. Long story made short, four of the six tires had the similar failure in progress. Quality tires looked perfect and had 95% thread. No cracks or crazing but they were 7 years old (New England storage area) and they "timed out".
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2021, 03:07:11 PM »
Oh yes I already plan on all new tires when we get home (40. Miles or so) , just getting the spare replaced for the trip home. Replacing it with same as the new tires I’ll buy. About $1500.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2021, 03:15:37 PM »
Oh yes I already plan on all new tires when we get home (40. Miles or so) , just getting the spare replaced for the trip home. Replacing it with same as the new tires I’ll buy. About $1500.
Sounds about right. Paid $1,400 for 6 on my C 7 years ago.
Towing a 5er now and just replaced 6 tires on my 3500 dually tow vehicle for $1,600.
Freedom from worrying isn't cheap, but it's worth it.
I also installed a tire pressure monitor system to watch all 10 wheels.
When you start operating closer to rated load limits proper pressure is more critical.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2021, 05:24:55 PM »
Bought my Class C with 6 beautiful looking 7 year old Goodyear truck tires mounted. About 1,200 miles into a cross country trip the vehicle picked up wobbles at highway speeds. Stopped at a front end shop figuring it was alignment. Owner pulls a wheel and hand spins it on the balancer. There was about a 3/8 inch hop in the thread where it was beginning to delaminate. Long story made short, four of the six tires had the similar failure in progress. Quality tires looked perfect and had 95% thread. No cracks or crazing but they were 7 years old (New England storage area) and they "timed out".

Common.
https://jalopnik.com/goodyear-knew-of-dangerous-rv-tire-failures-for-over-20-1824997252#:~:text=Goodyear%20Tire%20%26%20Rubber%20Co.%20received%20failure%20claims,according%20to%20court%20documents%20obtained%20exclusively%20by%20Jalopnik.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2021, 05:28:22 PM »
Sounds about right. Paid $1,400 for 6 on my C 7 years ago.
Towing a 5er now and just replaced 6 tires on my 3500 dually tow vehicle for $1,600.
Freedom from worrying isn't cheap, but it's worth it.
I also installed a tire pressure monitor system to watch all 10 wheels.
When you start operating closer to rated load limits proper pressure is more critical.
well said!
 I'll look into the pressure monitors, getting to the inner tire stem, how do ya anyway? Are those sensors expensive? Nevermind I'll google it.
Hidden Falls,

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2021, 05:39:53 PM »
Common.
https://jalopnik.com/goodyear-knew-of-dangerous-rv-tire-failures-for-over-20-1824997252#:~:text=Goodyear%20Tire%20%26%20Rubber%20Co.%20received%20failure%20claims,according%20to%20court%20documents%20obtained%20exclusively%20by%20Jalopnik.
That appears to be a big motor home tire (22.5") that has the failure problem.
The Class C uses a smaller LT (Light Truck) tire.
I don't think the issue was with LT tires.
Class C is a box on a 3500 or 4500 dual rear wheel truck frame.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2021, 06:47:35 PM »
I found this trailer tire while strolling by in my back yard.  Two weeks earlier it had been hauling my Falcone and Regin's EV through the Sierra Nevada.  Close call.  Better quality tires now.  Also park with sunlight covers in place now.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2021, 07:12:45 PM »
I found this trailer tire while strolling by in my back yard.  Two weeks earlier it had been hauling my Falcone and Regin's EV through the Sierra Nevada.  Close call.  Better quality tires now.  Also park with sunlight covers in place now.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
Lots of trailers come equipped with ST (special trailer) rated tires. This includes large travel trailers. ST Tires are kind of crap. The travel trailer crowd replaces them with LT Tires (Light Truck) in an equivalent size and rating. The LT Tires are probably 20% heavier than their ST  counterparts because they contain more rubber, fabric and steel. They are a more durable tire.

Result of ST Tire failure at highway speeds. Hole above the failed tire was about an inch deep.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2021, 02:27:14 AM »
ROCINANTE was the name of don qiote's horse and the name of jack kerouac's airstream. my dad had it painted on his when he retired to full time RV many years ago...
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2021, 08:15:36 AM »
and the name of jack kerouac's airstream..

[citation needed]……..I knew about Don Quixote and Steinbeck Rocinantes, but Kerouac reference is new to me.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here