Author Topic: June ride from Cincy to Montana; Rt. suggestions?  (Read 1323 times)

Online blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
June ride from Cincy to Montana; Rt. suggestions?
« on: December 16, 2018, 07:22:31 AM »
I've driven on the Beartooth Highway several times, but never on a bike; it's on my bucket list. In early-to-mid June I plan to jump on the Norge and head out there. Will likely slab it from Cincinnati to Hannibal, Missouri, and then head west on US 36 across Kansas past Mankato to US 281, then north to rt. 2 in Nebraska, then west to Alliance, then north on 385.

From US 385 to I-90 west to ALT14 into Cody.  From Cody take the Chief Joseph Highway to the Beartooth Highway to I-94.

Here is where the rest of the trip is up in the air. As long as I am in Montana, I might as well explore the area for several days. I've been to Yellowstone and Glacier NP's many times; have no desire to revisit either place.

Any suggestions for lesser known/less popular places to visit or roads to ride on in Montana? What about suggestions for interesting ways to return to Cincinnati?

Thanks for your recommendations,

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
Re: June ride from Cincy to Montana; Rt. suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 02:17:56 PM »
Jon...if you're going to be in Montana and you are not going up to Glacier this time, then I'd have to recommend going to Missoula on the way to run Lolo Pass and grab Highway 12 along the Clearwater all the way to Lewiston, Idaho and then flip around and come back or do another route on the way back. 
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 04:04:52 PM »
If you do make it to Lewiston, Idaho on Lolo be sure to run up and down the Old Spiral Hiway a couple of times. It is a hoot!

If you are going thru Wyoming see if you can work in Ten Sleep on the way west or east coming home. Perhaps the Bighorns also? You won't regret it. Be flexible and have a fun ride, Cheers!

Online blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 04:55:19 PM »
Paul,

Never been over Lolo Pass; I'll give it a try, and then head to Lewiston to run the spiral hiway, as suggested by wavedog. From there I will likely head down to the Sawtooth Mts. On my way to Cody, I will check out Ten Sleep.

Still have no idea how I will return home; won't be in a hurry; hell, I'm retired now! Might head down into Colorado.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 04:55:19 PM »

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 06:11:41 PM »
If you are running Lolo pass, be very careful at the top of the pass on the Idaho side.  There is usually a State Trooper with radar doing nothing but writing tickets.  It drops from 70 mph to 50 as you cross the Montana/Idaho border and they make a killing.  I keep learning this over and over.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 06:48:29 PM »
Devils Tower-there is no possessive apostrophe-is fun.We like the town of Broadus Montana. If You are on I-90 at Big Timber Montana,I recommend eating at The Big Timber Tavern.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 10:43:49 PM »
Jon...if you're going to be in Montana and you are not going up to Glacier this time, then I'd have to recommend going to Missoula on the way to run Lolo Pass and grab Highway 12 along the Clearwater all the way to Lewiston, Idaho and then flip around and come back or do another route on the way back.

:thumb:
Second the spiral highway in Lewiston.......ride it several times......up and down.
Tim
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 07:51:31 AM »
The roads around them aren't super spectacular, but of all the cool stuff in Montana, my favorite two 'attractions' are the Shonkin Sag & Lost Lake geological formations and the Ulm Pishkun at First People's Buffalo Jump State Park

If you head north from Helena, they are both relatively close to Great Falls... you can grab a steak & watch the mermaids swim for dinner at Sip & Dip....

Like I said they arent among beautiful twisty roads, but those two stops would make a remarkable day along your route!

Shonkin Sag

Ulm Pishkun

Sip & Dip

Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 07:55:11 AM »
I would also say as far as 'interesting ways to return from montana'......  driving across the dakotas is terrible boring stuff... 12hrs on the same dead flat straight highway  :whip2:
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here