Author Topic: Deals Gap 5 glorious days  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
Deals Gap 5 glorious days
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:54:20 PM »
I had a fantastic 7 days!!! tent camping on the V7.  Rode from Pensacola mostly back roads then Thur. - Sunday at Barbers Vintage Festival.  Left Sunday for Deals Gap all two lane roads to the Gap for camping.  Just fantastic weather!!!!  Here's the thing the only time I road the Dragon was when I left to go home and didn't miss it at all. 

I Road some of my favorites and some new ones,  a short list, Wayah rd, Hwy 28, a trip to Maggie Valley and hwy 209 (rattler), hwy 63, blue ridge parkway,Hwy 106 to Highlands, hwy 107, hwy 151, hwy 276, hwy 215,  Hwy 360, Cherohala parkway, Telico river road, Hwy 68, Joe Brown Hwy, Hwy 294, hiwassee Dam Road, cant forget the special little roads, Upper Tuskeegee, Yellow Creek, Ellijay, Walnut Creek and Happy Valley rd to name just a few.  The odometer says I put 2150 miles on the V7, not bad.  That puts me over 12K.  I checked the Valve adjustment today, looks good so tomorrow I will go for a ride and then change all the oils.

The best weather EVER!

76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

oldbike54

Re: Deals Gap 5 glorious days
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 12:01:10 AM »
 Wait , you toured on a small block ?? :shocked:

This type of stuff makes me smile , thanks .

Dusty

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 06:31:04 AM »
I saw your bike every day parked just inside the gate at Barber.  I rode my '14 V7 Special down and back from NJ, making it a point to avoid the slab.  I took 10 days, and Barber really lived up to the hype.

2,345 miles on the mighty V7!
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 06:43:42 AM »
What to put on other lists about Western NC:  No good roads around there except the Dragon and that's always too busy.  Weather's terrible too.  Winters are horrible. No good places to eat.  Boring scenery. Just a crummy place.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 06:43:42 AM »

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 08:22:23 AM »
What to put on other lists about Western NC:  No good roads around there except the Dragon and that's always too busy.  Weather's terrible too.  Winters are horrible. No good places to eat.  Boring scenery. Just a crummy place.

Yeah, and GO WEST young men, bigger,taller and younger mountains. Nothing to see here  in SW Virginia.

Many scientists believe that the Appalachian Mountains are the oldest mountains in the world. It is possible that the New River is older than any mountain range in the entire world. Finally, the New River's mountain contorting course has exposed rocks that are over 1 billion years old.

Gee, I can see the river/lake from my front porch.

Dean
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 08:28:07 AM by Dean Rose »
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 08:48:08 AM »
What to put on other list of things to do, places to see and places to eat???   I guess you can hate where ever you live but others can find joy in the same place.

I try to make short northern rides from Pensacola in the fall as the leaves change and the AL/Dragon/NC/GA/TN/KY areas are a great example of this.  You must be able to appreciate the beauty of the mountains, rivers, and roads.

What to SEE, you can spend a whole week just searching out all of the different types of water falls in the area.  I like exploring the paths less taken, sometimes the pavement turns to dirt roads, then dirt paths to a gully and sometimes eventually you will find a jewel at the end of the rainbow!! like a wine vineyard in the middle of now where on a dirt road that plays old rock music to the vines!!  Some times you have to get lost to FIND yourself?

No places to eat, Wwhhatttt??  Some really great BBQ at every turn!!  Mom and Pop restaurants in Every town, where I have gotten the BEST, broached pork chops, country fried steak and chicken to die for.  One place makes Collard Greens that I get a double order every time, and a whole ear of fresh corn, oh yea gotta have the corn muffins for the Greens pot licker.  Heaven!!  Two many to recall.

And a special shout out to Poppa's Pizza place in Robbinsville, up the hill on 129 just before you get to the Cheroholla, $7.99 all you can eat salad/pizza bar and drink. 

76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Offline rbond

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 09:06:09 AM »
Dofin!!! You are everywhere. I still have my '76 GT500 and am on the Sundial board too. I plan on pulling the crank to have it resealed on the GT this winter. I have a 2012 V7C, love it too! Electric start and shaft drive is a step up from left side kick only and chain driver. Won’t give up either.
2012 MG V7C
1976 Suzuki GT500A
1978 Suzuki GS400C (long gone)
1973 Suzuki TS 100K (first new bike)
1969 Honda S90 (very first bike)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 09:11:40 AM »
just a great place to ride.  :thumb:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline DanD

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 09:39:42 AM »
Happy Valley Road and Foothills Parkway are both must do roads when I'm down there. Like you I may or may not hit the Gap these days as it is usually overrun and well patrolled. I really miss the 55 MPH speed limit.  :cry:

I remember the first time I hit 129 in '84. I was just looking for some decent two lane to get me from Tampa to Cincy. I vividly remember bringing my '76 R60 to a complete stop in the middle of one particularly tight switchback!  :coffee:

I've gotten better since then...  :bike-037:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 09:41:11 AM by DanD »
2013 Yamaha WR250
2013 Husqvarna TR650
2016 NTX

"In heaven all the interesting people are missing."

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 11:45:44 AM »
What to put on other list of things to do, places to see and places to eat???   I guess you can hate where ever you live but others can find joy in the same place.

I try to make short northern rides from Pensacola in the fall as the leaves change and the AL/Dragon/NC/GA/TN/KY areas are a great example of this.  You must be able to appreciate the beauty of the mountains, rivers, and roads.

What to SEE, you can spend a whole week just searching out all of the different types of water falls in the area.  I like exploring the paths less taken, sometimes the pavement turns to dirt roads, then dirt paths to a gully and sometimes eventually you will find a jewel at the end of the rainbow!! like a wine vineyard in the middle of now where on a dirt road that plays old rock music to the vines!!  Some times you have to get lost to FIND yourself?

No places to eat, Wwhhatttt??  Some really great BBQ at every turn!!  Mom and Pop restaurants in Every town, where I have gotten the BEST, broached pork chops, country fried steak and chicken to die for.  One place makes Collard Greens that I get a double order every time, and a whole ear of fresh corn, oh yea gotta have the corn muffins for the Greens pot licker.  Heaven!!  Two many to recall.

And a special shout out to Poppa's Pizza place in Robbinsville, up the hill on 129 just before you get to the Cheroholla, $7.99 all you can eat salad/pizza bar and drink.

I think the point of his (tongue in cheek) post was to keep the incredible venue away from others.  :thumb:
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 12:26:12 PM »
I think the point of his (tongue in cheek) post was to keep the incredible venue away from others.  :thumb:
And all the dogs have fleas and the sun don't shine.  Y'all can come if you want, don't say I didn't warn you.  ; )
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 12:35:54 PM »
Dofin your weather was much better than the few days I spent there a couple weeks back, rain every day then had to head home early for some family issues. Still it was a good time!
Cya in the spring!
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 04:07:44 PM »
I had a fantastic 7 days!!! tent camping on the V7.  Rode from Pensacola mostly back roads then Thur. - Sunday at Barbers Vintage Festival.  Left Sunday for Deals Gap all two lane roads to the Gap for camping.  Just fantastic weather!!!!  Here's the thing the only time I road the Dragon was when I left to go home and didn't miss it at all. 

I Road some of my favorites and some new ones,  a short list, Wayah rd, Hwy 28, a trip to Maggie Valley and hwy 209 (rattler), hwy 63, blue ridge parkway,Hwy 106 to Highlands, hwy 107, hwy 151, hwy 276, hwy 215,  Hwy 360, Cherohala parkway, Telico river road, Hwy 68, Joe Brown Hwy, Hwy 294, hiwassee Dam Road, cant forget the special little roads, Upper Tuskeegee, Yellow Creek, Ellijay, Walnut Creek and Happy Valley rd to name just a few.  The odometer says I put 2150 miles on the V7, not bad.  That puts me over 12K.  I checked the Valve adjustment today, looks good so tomorrow I will go for a ride and then change all the oils.

The best weather EVER!

Did you go through the Nantahala Gorge? Very pretty too. We went through there... both ways!

If you were in Maggie Valley did you go to Wheels Through Time?

Pretty sure I also saw your bike at Barber. I think I took a picture of every Guzzi there... that I found.
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 05:26:15 PM »

If that's along the Nantahala River I have not been down that one but rest assured it will be on my list next time I head that way!!  Thanks for the heads up, I have heard the name but hadn't looked it up until now. 

Oh yea Wheels Through Time a bunch of times, Always something new to see and a good excuse to try different local roads.

It is difficult for me to distinguish between sarcasm and rude negativity in print, I've been on several forums that have curmudgeons that just cant stand for others to have fun or enjoy anything and try to harsh ones mellow with sour comments.  Sorry for my Dimness for taking the negative comment seriously and trying to pass along the things I found fun and brightened my day. 

For those of us that are a bit slow to recognize good natured ribbing maybe an emogie at the end that helps the slower of us know the intent?? Piece out!!

Oh yea here is a picture of the Vineyard where the old rock music was playing.  Also a pic of Craigs 72 Eldorado dressed in Breast cancer awareness Month colors.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:30:56 PM by Dofin »
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Offline OlDogface

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 05:32:33 PM »
Way to go! Great tour!
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

For every fact there is an infinity of hypotheses.
 β€• Robert Pirsig

Bill Hagan

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 07:01:06 PM »

It is difficult for me to distinguish between sarcasm and rude negativity in print, I've been on several forums that have curmudgeons that just cant stand for others to have fun or enjoy anything and try to harsh ones mellow with sour comments.  Sorry for my Dimness for taking the negative comment seriously and trying to pass along the things I found fun and brightened my day. 

For those of us that are a bit slow to recognize good natured ribbing maybe an emogie at the end that helps the slower of us know the intent?? Piece out!!

I alternate between between being an neanderthalic lout and gangrenously sensitive to any slight.

That said, when even in the extremes of the latter, think I would have seen through the teasing of nic and Dean.  Mebbe not.

Trust you won't find --  even with our share of curmudgeons here -- any truly lowest orifice insults ... with or without emos.  :wink:

Be all of that as it may, congrats on a great trip and the memories.  My brother is sleeping in Robbinsville tonight after a super ride on many of the roads you just enjoyed.  Riding the Cherohala as he did with the sun on his back, Renoir light on the foreground, and a Guzzi under him ... well, as you know, it doesn't get much better than that.

Bill

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 07:16:27 PM »
This was one of the no-name stretch of roads I found on my way home.  Just east of Asheville, NC.

Early morning, glad I had my coffee.

Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 09:07:28 PM »

If that's along the Nantahala River I have not been down that one but rest assured it will be on my list next time I head that way!!  Thanks for the heads up, I have heard the name but hadn't looked it up until now. 

Some clips of the Gorge in this video.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=86548.0
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here