Author Topic: Centauro fork seals  (Read 757 times)

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
Centauro fork seals
« on: June 17, 2021, 05:59:36 PM »
Yep went to the shed today to finally bring the C back home to the garage permanently. All set to leave when Cheryl asks what's all that over your front tire. Yep the finest fork oil money could buy at least at the local Cycle Gear store. Basically rode it home in the spring and changed oil, trans, rear and took a short ride. Fast forward two months and find a puddle all over the front wheel. Anybody know how hard it is to change the seals? I probably should have done them when I changed the fork oil a couple of years ago.  So now I have a Triumph in need of a lockheed brake rebuild for soiling it's front wheel and the mighty C is down and after today's ride on the Cali Stone I think some fresh brake fluid may be in order. Fun fun
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Centauro fork seals
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 06:28:24 PM »
Sounds like they are glad to be back home and want your attention. It's always something.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 06:32:03 PM »
*I've never done it,* but I'd think its a no brainer. You have to disassemble them completely to change out the fluid, so popping out and replacing the seals should be simple.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 07:01:53 PM »
I wish I could remember what I did when I changed the fluids, but having a brain cramp. All I know is I followed Steve's instructions.

Time to start looking for the workshop manuals.

On a side note, I'm assuming I can ride it the four miles home after I clean off the tire as long as I take it slow.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 07:03:41 PM by Joliet Jim »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 07:01:53 PM »

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 07:11:17 PM »
Its just a piece of plastic shaped to work effectively, but it does work quite often.   

https://sealmate.net/

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 08:12:12 PM »
Should be in your archive posts for changing the oil.  I don't take dampeners all apart, just pump all oil out of them & let drain out the bottom screw. Then put new fluid in the top. I've never had an issue.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 08:43:45 PM »
Someone once told me you almost need a special tool or you can bugger up the lower leg pretty easy, be careful, that is some soft material
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 09:37:45 PM »
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 08:14:46 AM »
^^^^ Some serious "shaved apery" going on in that picture, Foto..  :shocked: :smiley:  I made a tool out of pvc pipe.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 08:46:28 AM »
Should be in your archive posts for changing the oil.  I don't take dampeners all apart, just pump all oil out of them & let drain out the bottom screw. Then put new fluid in the top. I've never had an issue.

I vaguely remember pulling the fork legs and I think putting them in the corner of the garage upside down to drain. The bike handled great after doing it your way.

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 08:48:56 AM »
Its just a piece of plastic shaped to work effectively, but it does work quite often.   

That will need to be tried.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 10:01:55 AM »
That will need to be tried.

It’s worked for me a couple of times.  Clean up residual oil as well as possible and then given it a while before you judge if it’s still leaking.  I was almost convinced to change the seal on my belt drive Ducati SS because I was still seeing a little oil afterward, but after a couple of rides it stopped.  That saved a fair bit of work.

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 12:53:25 PM »
It’s worked for me a couple of times.  Clean up residual oil as well as possible and then given it a while before you judge if it’s still leaking.  I was almost convinced to change the seal on my belt drive Ducati SS because I was still seeing a little oil afterward, but after a couple of rides it stopped.  That saved a fair bit of work.

Bought a 2 pack of the new model for 13.99, already shipped. It has some pretty impressive reviews.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2021, 01:34:29 PM »
I use this stuff liberally with unreal results, it stops seals from leaking and clean the dirt out. I also use it on seal installation, squeeze bushing together and slick install no damage.

https://www.motionindustries.com/products/sku/00782658?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=dynamic_catchall&utm_content=catchall_adgroup&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInOvet-eh8QIVCOXICh2WRg67EAAYAyAAEgIvS_D_BwE

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 01:52:33 PM »

This work on even more than "fork seals". Recently on my 2007 R1200GS the outer seal on the rear drive was weeping a bit of earl. I order a new seal and though WTF why not try ye'ole water bottle seal mate trick. Removed the protective plastic cap clean up the oil with rags and-tips then ran the seal mate around a few times. Just got back for about 160 miles of riding and the seal is no longer weeping :thumb:

5 minutes 1 beer 4 Q-tips and a water bottle out of the trash. $45 seal back in working order and new $45 seal in attic stock :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline D Knaus

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 06:27:45 PM »
I think the C and my Sport 1100i have the same "upside down" forks.  I had a seal leak a couple of years ago (75K miles) and bought a pair of seals.  I changed the one that leaked, and it was a major PITA.  the other new seal is still on the neck of the fork oil bottle, on the shelf, to be dealt with only if and when necessary.  I don't have special tools, and it was hard for me to get that new seal in without damaging it.  Your mileage may vary.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here