General Category > General Discussion

Griso suspension

(1/6) > >>

ohiorider:
I rode my 2012 8vSE for almost 3 seasons and 10k miles before selling her.  Primary reason for sale was what I perceived as suspension harshness on our less than stellar Ohio secondary roads where I like to ride.  I suppose I could have worked with Race Tech to have come up with a suspension that would have worked for me.

So, though I no longer own a Griso, I do see several on line at very attractive prices, and wanted to ask if any of you current or past Griso owners had modified the front and rear suspension to make the ride more compliant.  I'm not looking for adjustment advice to the stock suspension, but actual changes of fork springs and rear shock spring.

Stats:  I weigh about 165#, 5'8", 30" inseam, 32" sleeve length.

Bob

jpv7:
Although I'm a bit smaller and lighter than you, I suggest Race Tech spring and valving.  Reasonably priced and very effective when properly set up.  Used on 2 Ducatis (1 was a track bike) and 1 Guzzi. 

Dilliw:
You have several choices at 165#.  Fat arses like me have to change springs too!

I think you can get there with the stock pieces up front as it's too bad once you get the preload right.  Once I did the work on the rear I realized how much the front is wanting, but that would just be gravy and something I might do in the future.  The big bang is with the rear and you have several options.

I chose to have my Sachs rebuilt by Traxxion, and that doesn't disappoint.  That was a $400 option for me but probably less for you if they re-use the stock spring.  They charge about the same for the front end so that's $800 plus shipping if you pull them and send them the parts.  The other popular option is to fit a Stelvio shock on the rear.  This gets you a little more travel, a heavier spring and saves you from having to lower front end, but it is going to make the bike a little taller for you.  The third option would be to go aftermarket on the rear.  There are lots of options out there if you go to the Ghetto you can read about the various choices via a long thread on suspension.

There are guys who are doing it on their own but suspension has always been beyond me.  For $400 Traxxion dialed mine in nicely even to the point where I backed off the preload some (something you can't do with the stocker).

menzies:
Other than Race Tech another option is Cogent Dynamics in the Asheville, NC area. They have set up three bikes for me with stellar results. He has developed a drop in emulator that can be fitted at home without much drama, it has worked well for me on an 07' Bonnie. I mailed my Breva forks to him and he fitted Ohlins springs and Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators, I fitted a Penske shock and the Breva handled like it was on rails, no more bouncing in curves and rode like a dream walking on rough roads.

nobleswood:
Bob,

As Dilliw said there are quite a few threads on re-working the Griso suspension on GrisoGhetto at the moment.

I am bit by bit, as funds allow, changing stuff.

Last year I replaced the broken rear shock with a rebuilt Ohlins that I got from E bay, cost me $630 all in. Having backed off the adjustment on the rear shock & not seeing any change let alone improvement I considered it dead. The new shock works nicely but I have yet to fine tune it. I weigh in at 175 Lbs so a bit heavier than you.

Now with the bike at 19K miles, I am considering sending off the forks to RaceTech to have gold valves installed.

It seems to be the suspension gets the most attention on a Griso, generally considered too harsh.

You are right there are some great deals at the moment. Good hunting

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version