General Category > General Discussion

1971 Ambassador revival

<< < (2/46) > >>

demet:
OK I will take it seriously!

--- Quote from: SoCV on September 28, 2021, 10:27:37 PM --- My friend here RHAT is new to the Guzzi world , started with a Norge and then went backward to an Ambassador . He is out in San Diego on vacation or he would tell you how expensive and time consuming not dealing with the chrome bore issue before running the bike can be . save the headaches and deal with it , crankshafts are expensive.

Dusty

--- End quote ---

Scout63:
Congratulations and welcome Demetrius. You’re exactly where I was when I bought my first Guzzi and joined this forum. I recommend:

Buy a good shop manual
Clean the bike well.
Remove and clean the carbs
Inspect and clean the sump
Replace all the fluids
Visually inspect the cylinders (inside) and pistons. Rotate the pistons using the rear wheel.
Make sure the airbox, battery box, timing chest, intake and exhausts are clear of rodent nests, etc.
Check steering, swingarm and wheel bearings for proper movement
Check gearbox action and shifting
Check inside fuel tank and all fuel lines
Check brake, throttle and clutch cables.

Then try to start it, but don’t ride it anywhere outside the block without replacing tires and tubes.

It’s a great looking bike and will make you a better mechanic 

demet:
Thank you! The carbs have been on my mind. Seller told me he drained all the fuel before storage, so hopefully they are not gummed up as I have seen with BMWs I have had. Just need to understand how they work, how they come apart, etc. And then drain oil and inspect sump, yes, hopefully I can find some tutorials/videos on this.

Thinking about tools I might need. I have a good socket set, metric, but not basic wrench set, like the open ended ones that would have been in tool kit. I do have 1976 R90/6 BMW tool kit, so maybe that will suffice?

PS: an R75/5 was my second choice bike, and there is one up for sale nearby that I almost called, but then I found the Ambassador ;-)

--- Quote from: Scout63 on September 28, 2021, 10:43:16 PM ---Congratulations and welcome Demetrius. You’re exactly where I was when I bought my first Guzzi and joined this forum. I recommend:

Buy a good shop manual
Clean the bike well.
Remove and clean the carbs
Inspect and clean the sump
Replace all the fluids
Visually inspect the cylinders (inside) and pistons. Rotate the pistons using the rear wheel.
Make sure the airbox, battery box, timing chest, intake and exhausts are clear of rodent nests, etc.
Check steering, swingarm and wheel bearings for proper movement
Check gearbox action and shifting
Check inside fuel tank and all fuel lines
Check brake, throttle and clutch cables.

Then try to start it, but don’t ride it anywhere outside the block without replacing tires and tubes.

It’s a great looking bike and will make you a better mechanic

--- End quote ---

AJ Huff:
I remember being worried about my cylinders being chromed. Some paperwork I had from when the engine was rebuilt by the previous owner said they were chrome. So dropping the pan one day to check for flakes I looked up and saw the word GILARDONI cast into the bottom of the cylinder casting. Wow what's a relief that was! Maybe you will get lucky too.

-AJ

Kiwi_Roy:

--- Quote from: AJ Huff on September 28, 2021, 11:28:58 PM ---I remember being worried about my cylinders being chromed. Some paperwork I had from when the engine was rebuilt by the previous owner said they were chrome. So dropping the pan one day to check for flakes I looked up and saw the word GILARDONI cast into the bottom of the cylinder casting. Wow what's a relief that was! Maybe you will get lucky too.

-AJ

--- End quote ---
Are you saying look inside the engine AJ?, mine have it on the outside, they were replaced only 10 years ago. You can also get a slight attraction with a magnet, no attraction with chrome.
You are missing the brackets that go between the frame and exhaust header they are there in picture No 14
How was it stored all those years, look at the tire date code, post it back here they may be ok for a while if it wasn't left in the sun.
Just drop the float bowls off, nut at the bottom you will soon se if they are gummed up, the jets are all accessible right there, you may have to rotate the carbs slightly to get the bowl off.
Don't worry about the rust on the crash bars, rear springs etc, that can be disguised with some silver paint, mine were a lot worse.
Just about any 12 Volt battery can be made to work, these old girls burst into life with the slightest provocation, I think lots of owners use the Wally World lawn tractor variety.
I'm looking forward to your ride report.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version