Author Topic: What a night tonight deep in the woods.  (Read 18315 times)

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
What a night tonight deep in the woods.
« on: February 14, 2015, 07:43:15 PM »
I know you all in the northeast are getting hammered. I live deep in the woods in NC. We are surrounded by big time trees and getting hammered with 45 MPH wind gusts. Stuff is coming down all over the place. On top of that I have a new small generator that is not ready for prime time. And not to mention I took some very strong new meds today that have knocked me down for the count. We got the stove stuffed and enough in the house to keep it going all night if we loose power. Right now it is 51 degrees with 16F in the morning. Lights are flickering.
BTW Grandfather mountain in NC is gusting at 90 MPH.   
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 07:50:32 PM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: What a night tonight deep in the woods.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 07:50:03 PM »
If you get this before the power goes down -- hunker down, and good luck!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
I know you all in the northeast are getting hammered. I live deep in the woods in NC. We are surrounded by big time trees and getting hammered with 45 MPH wind gusts. Stuff is coming down all over the place. On top of that I have a new small generator that is not ready for prime time. And not to mention I took some very strong new meds today that have knocked me down for the count. We got the stove stuffed and enough in the house to keep it going all night if we loose power. Right now it is 51 degrees with 16F in the morning. Lights are flickering.
BTW Grandfather mountain in NC is gusting at 90 MPH.   

It's gusting 60 MPH here in Central Virginia, and I live in the noisiest house ever when the wind blows.   Current has been on and off, no way it's staying on all night so I'm off to bank the fire and go to bed while I have light and hot running water.   Branches coming down, trees bending way over, outdoor furniture etc tumbling everywhere.

Miserable night.   I'll put the chainsaw in the truck when I head out in the morning, I'll need it to get anywhere away from here ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Bob Wegman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 09:47:28 PM »
Lannis, Keep warm and pretend it is the VA rally from a couple of years ago.  Will look forward to your future posts. 
02 EV1100, 2010 V7 Classic, 80 Yamaha 650, 80 Yamaha SR500, 77 Yamaha XS650, 67 Honda 305 Superhawk, 66 Ducati 250 Monza(apart)
MGNOC # 20848
AMA# 548668

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 09:47:28 PM »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 09:53:15 PM »
Hang in there, Harvey.  There are a couple thousand houses without power all around my immediate area, but for some reason it hasn't quit here.  You know I'll be OK if it does go out though.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Bill Hagan

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 10:38:26 PM »
Similar high winds.  Power fading here, too, but still on.

Should be interesting in the a.m. as some mighty strange noises and banging going on outside.  Probably going to find some neighbors' patio furniture here or wheelbarrow ... and closest folks are ¼ mile away.

Bill

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 12:34:17 AM »
Not to mention the -30F windchill in the Boone area.
1990 MilleGT

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 01:40:48 AM »
  Okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrvkHAxnjzI

Btw, it was a bit gusty today.  Wind blew down power line to my town and we were blacked out about 12 hours.

That's okay, when my little hottie got home from work we just went to Hawi which was upstream of the power break,
  And had a great mexican dinner.
  Hope you enjoyed the song.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 11:51:57 AM »
Right now we have a Jack London short story outside the house. It took a bit to shovel out the door to the chicken coop, and when I finished there my footsteps had disappeared.

Early today I walked down to get a paper, before the wind got going. Now my driveway is waist deep in snowdrifts. If you've seen my driveway you will understand why I'm waiting a bit before clearing it out.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 01:12:55 PM »
Lannis, Keep warm and pretend it is the VA rally from a couple of years ago.  Will look forward to your future posts. 

;D Days like today are why I never complain about the heat. I'd rather be "too hot", than have a half-dozen layers on and still be cold!
Charlie

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 02:18:28 PM »
Everyone survived?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 03:01:14 PM »

Couple of trees down in the driveway to move, a bit of roof lifted up, and everything that was loose outside tumbled around the yard or down in the woods, but overall it wasn't bad.  Power blinked off a few times as trees bent over in the wind and shorted wires, but the reclosers operated as planned (I assume) and things were still humming in the morning.

Woodpile is going down fast!   Need to find some dry deadfall and get it bucked, split, and stacked ....

Lannis

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 08:45:20 PM »
Everyone survived?

Yep we did but right now in the midst of a snow, ice/sleet, freezing rain event. Later tonight is when the bad stuff hits. Warm air aloft comes in and starts raining. It could be not bad or it could knock out power everywhere. They still are not sure. Only maybe 5 total inches but freezing rain starts after midnight and goes on until morning. Those in VA have all snow and those in the Southern NC have all rain. We are stuck in the middle. Right now it is sleet and may it stay that way all night.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 10:13:33 PM »

Yep we did but right now in the midst of a snow, ice/sleet, freezing rain event. Later tonight is when the bad stuff hits. Warm air aloft comes in and starts raining. It could be not bad or it could knock out power everywhere. They still are not sure. Only maybe 5 total inches but freezing rain starts after midnight and goes on until morning. Those in VA have all snow and those in the Southern NC have all rain. We are stuck in the middle. Right now it is sleet and may it stay that way all night.

Yep, still up trying to keep the path to the woodpile clear .... about a foot of snow and coming down hard.

I've been laying on the couch in front of the living room fire reading Jack London stories, trying to imagine laying under a spruce-bough lean-to wrapped in a rabbit-skin robe in front of a fire made of pine-wood I chopped while setting up camp, having been "on the trail" for two weeks and the food almost gone for me and the dogs, and two hundred miles of unbroken trail ahead ... Glad I never lusted after the lure of gold!

Lannis
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:17:29 PM by Lannis »

Offline Robert

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 10:27:59 AM »
Jack London stories --

Ever read "Burning Daylight"

Available on Gutenberg e-books.

It's got a few 'cold' situations in it.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 10:45:13 AM »
How did it turn out for you, Harvey?  Here it was all either snow or ice pellets, so none of it stuck to the trees, and we never lost power.  I did go out about 11 PM and knock the stuff off the canopies we have over boats and wood piles, so they wouldn't collapse if we got much more.  After I did that, the ice pellets rolled off and never built up again.

Edit:  I see the Duke Power outage map shows no outages around your house, so it looks like you're OK.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:47:23 AM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 10:47:34 AM »
Jack London stories --

Ever read "Burning Daylight"

Available on Gutenberg e-books.

It's got a few 'cold' situations in it.

"Martin Eden" and "Burning Daylight" are two of those Jack London stories that I think he thinks are a bit autobiographical .... the towering strong Man of the Wilderness who is a king in the wild North, but despised by the warmer world, and finally makes it as a huge success, but too late ....  

London's chapter about railroad freight costs, and how the railroads conspired to keep themselves rich and everyone at low wage rates by taking advantage of their monopoly, is a pretty good explanation of why raw capitalism needs a few shackles on it if it's not to get out of hand.     Unless, of course, like Burning Daylight, you can go to the board room with a .45 in your hand and have your way with the robber barons ... !

Lannis

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 01:02:27 PM »
How did it turn out for you, Harvey?  Here it was all either snow or ice pellets, so none of it stuck to the trees, and we never lost power.  I did go out about 11 PM and knock the stuff off the canopies we have over boats and wood piles, so they wouldn't collapse if we got much more.  After I did that, the ice pellets rolled off and never built up again.

Edit:  I see the Duke Power outage map shows no outages around your house, so it looks like you're OK.

Nary a flicker in the lights. It was much worse in the wind storm the other night.  It was first snow and the all sleet. Virtually dodged a bullet on this. Woke this am and in the breaking sunlight between clouds I could not make out one flicker of ice on the trees.
Now I still need the 4X4 to get up my 1/10 mile incline.  You have been here twice Jim. What do think the angle is on my driveway? 30 degrees???
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline EldoMike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 01:02:55 PM »
;D Days like today are why I never complain about the heat. I'd rather be "too hot", than have a half-dozen layers on and still be cold!

I'm with you...screw the cold!!  ;-T

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 01:46:02 PM »
You have been here twice Jim. What do think the angle is on my driveway? 30 degrees???

Three times, I think.  Once to pick up the distributor, once when I brought the carb intake boots, and once to investigate the heating oil situation.  I must not be overly annoying if you underestimate my visits.  30° might be a bit on the high side.  It may hit 20% or 30% in spots.  The Internet tells me that 30% is about 17° ;D

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 02:26:24 PM »
Three times, I think.  Once to pick up the distributor, once when I brought the carb intake boots, and once to investigate the heating oil situation.  I must not be overly annoying if you underestimate my visits.  30° might be a bit on the high side.  It may hit 20% or 30% in spots.  The Internet tells me that 30% is about 17° ;D

You are quite correct about the angle. I just went up the get mail and took my trusty angle finder with me. Max is 15 degrees. So you are dead on Jim.
Damn it sure seems like more! When I was running regularly on my trails back here I had my own version of heartbreak hill that started down on the river and ended at the crest.
Close to 0.15 mile from river bottom to crest and it sure  felt like more.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 02:41:28 PM »
No doubt, a 15° slope is very steep.  It just doesn't look that way in print.   :D

Offline Bill N

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 04:13:26 PM »
No worries,
Al Gore predicted that Global Warming by now would be in full effect. Be patient, soon you will be roasting.  :pop
Bill

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 04:38:05 PM »
I'm with you...screw the cold!!  ;-T

If you try to screw the cold, you might freeze your didgeridoo.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Penderic

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 06:34:48 PM »
If you try to screw the cold, you might freeze your didgeridoo.

I hate when that happens!  >:(
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:35:49 PM by Penderic »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 06:55:50 PM »
Penderic, you've got a good internet connection and waaaaaaay too much time on your hands.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 08:08:29 PM »
No worries,
Al Gore predicted that Global Warming by now would be in full effect. Be patient, soon you will be roasting.  :pop
Bill

I read a great science paper on the subject this week.Well they have identified why Boston and the N.E. is getting so much snow. The water temperature is much higher than normal which is warming the air. Very cold air does not produce massive snow falls. Cold air is dry and cannot hold much moisture.  So all the warm ocean water makes for an increase in snow. 
So I am not taking about climate change now just the water temps off the coast of the N.E. This is not a political statement and has nothing to do with Al Gore.  ;D ;D
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 02:55:00 AM »

I read a great science paper on the subject this week.Well they have identified why Boston and the N.E. is getting so much snow. The water temperature is much higher than normal which is warming the air. Very cold air does not produce massive snow falls. Cold air is dry and cannot hold much moisture.  So all the warm ocean water makes for an increase in snow. 
So I am not taking about climate change now just the water temps off the coast of the N.E. This is not a political statement and has nothing to do with Al Gore.  ;D ;D

It depends.  We have an ocean effect here and no snow.  +52 and light overcast at midnight.

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 03:13:15 AM »
And over on the other side of the big ditch we in Queensland in the land of oz have 2 tropical cyclones, one of which is predicted to hit Brisbane, a city of roughly 2 million people. Goes with the 88 to 90 deg f temps and warm oceans of roughly 80 deg f,  up to 1  1/2 + feet of rain in the next 2 days oh and a big monsoon trough to kick it all off.
A bit of cooler weather is starting to look appealing.
To those of you up to your armpits in snow, stay warm, stay safe.

Cheers
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 12:07:06 PM »
After using my well water for an extended period, bathing, crapper, and dishes I checked the water temp with a refrigerator thermometer.
Out of the tap after running it 15/20 minutes it was 40 degrees. Don't know it some of the cooling is the distance from the well to the house or not.
The "well house" is in a concrete like bunker underground and covered with a tin roof. It you didn't know it was there you would think it was just tin laying on the ground.  But I was running the water at 60 PSI for at least 15 minutes. My well is 120 feet deep and it is maybe  125 feet from the house.
Do not know how far down the pipe is buried so I wonder if I am picking up cold from the ground. 
Think it possible that water temp would be that cold in the well.
Red 90 Mille GT

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here