Author Topic: My 73' CHP ElDorado  (Read 7532 times)

Offline TheBru

• New Egg
My 73' CHP ElDorado
« on: February 14, 2017, 12:37:43 PM »
I bought this bike in 1975 off the Hollywood Division CHP for $701. Right now I have the engine on my workbench. It was running great but leaking oil quite a bit. Can't have that with my Guzzi. It's been 40 years since I've pulled the engine. Back then I put a Venolia piston kit on to make it 1000cc and I think I replaced the clutch. I bought it with 40k on it, It now has 142k. So far it looks great inside. Going to order a gasket set from MG Cycle. Just thought I would introduce myself and this project because I don't remember a thing from 40 years ago!! I hope Ya'll don't mind a lot of what might be silly questions.
First question---When I did the clutch I know I didn't use an alignment tool, or any special tool to re-assemble. I want to take the clutch off to check the rear main seal. Any thoughts???
Second question--Less than a year ago I replaced a seal around the primary drive shaft on a Roadstar. Same concept. I put two screws in it(carefully of course) grabbed them with vice grips and puled it out. Popped the new one in with a little oil and a piece of PVC pipe the same size as the seal. Worked great. Anyone know a reason  this won't work on this application??? I haven't gotton the clutch off yet to see the seal so I might just be getting ahead of myself at this point...
Thanks to all in advance.....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:41:48 PM by TheBru »
Young riders pick a destination and go. Old riders pick a direction and ride....

Offline troyhamilton

• Gaggle Hero
  • Dr frankie
Re: My 73' CHP ElDorado
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 03:26:28 PM »
 :gotpics: welcome to the famdamily. lotta good guys on here!
Dr Frankie!
1967 v7, gone
heldorado, gone
1975 850-t gone
1974 850-t gone.
2002 Jackal!
we need a tech section!

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 10:09:47 PM »
Welcome Bru. No such thing as a silly question..

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 08:44:07 AM »
Welcome to WG. Lots of Eldo experts here (not me). I'm sure you'll get plenty of great replies to your questions soon.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 08:44:07 AM »

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 09:16:02 AM »
First question---When I did the clutch I know I didn't use an alignment tool, or any special tool to re-assemble. I want to take the clutch off to check the rear main seal. Any thoughts???

Second question--Less than a year ago I replaced a seal around the primary drive shaft on a Roadstar. Same concept. I put two screws in it(carefully of course) grabbed them with vice grips and puled it out. Popped the new one in with a little oil and a piece of PVC pipe the same size as the seal. Worked great. Anyone know a reason  this won't work on this application??? I haven't gotton the clutch off yet to see the seal so I might just be getting ahead of myself at this point...
Thanks to all in advance.....

You really should use a tool to align the plates and compress the clutch springs. The clutch hub with a suitable spacer, bolt and washer will work just fine.

I would recommend replacing more than just the rear crankshaft seal - it might be the only thing not leaking. I'd also replace the rear main bearing flange gasket (making sure to seal the threads of the two lower bolts that are below oil level), the breather pipe gasket, the oil return line crush washers and JB Weld the cam plug.

On the transmission, at a minimum, you'll want to replace the input and output shaft seals, plus the clutch hub o-rings and clutch pushrod seals. I can send you a set of six "special" o-rings for the clutch pushrod for free. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:18:59 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 09:29:32 AM »
I think Charlie ^ (Antietam Classic Cycle) single handedly keeps half the vintage Moto Guzzis on this forum running, mine included!
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline TheBru

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 09:41:03 AM »
You really should use a tool to align the plates and compress the clutch springs. The clutch hub with a suitable spacer, bolt and washer will work just fine.

I would recommend replacing more than just the rear crankshaft seal - it might be the only thing not leaking. I'd also replace the rear main bearing flange gasket (making sure to seal the threads of the two lower bolts that are below oil level), the breather pipe gasket, the oil return line crush washers and JB Weld the cam plug.

On the transmission, at a minimum, you'll want to replace the input and output shaft seals, plus the clutch hub o-rings and clutch pushrod seals. I can send you a set of six "special" o-rings for the clutch pushrod for free.

Appreciated!!! Is there a PM on this site so I can send you my info??
Young riders pick a destination and go. Old riders pick a direction and ride....

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 12:48:42 PM »
Appreciated!!! Is there a PM on this site so I can send you my info??

There is: there's an icon over to the left under the username. Or just send me an email: c.d.mullendore@att.net
Charlie

Offline TheBru

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 01:36:48 PM »
Silly question #1----I'm cleaning the heads. Working well and starting to look good. Can they be dipped in a bucket of warm water to get rid of the loose junk and any grit?? I will air and blow dry of course.......Would like to do this before I lap the valves to clean out the guides real well..

Offline TheBru

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 03:35:00 PM »
Cleaning up nice....

Don't believe I will need a new seal here... I haven't even wiped this off.

I think this looks pretty good for over 100k. Going to clean it up though.

image upload

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 03:39:43 PM by TheBru »

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 09:46:52 PM »
Wow... someone else with an old CHP bike! Mine is a project that starts with a great original... a 1972 CHP 850. It is complete, except for a windscreen and aux. lights. I think I will repaint the tank, but keep the fenders original. Has no wiring harness, so I will get a new one from Bender. My big question is whether to put new pistons and cylinders on it. Compression is good, but they are original. Anyway, hello to another fellow with a Calif. cop bike....    Lee Davis

Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 12:12:22 PM »
My big question is whether to put new pistons and cylinders on it. Compression is good, but they are original.

If you really care anything for the bike and don't want to needlessly spend many more $$ later for a full engine rebuild, install Gilardoni kits now.
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here