Author Topic: Will you continue to ride Moto Guzzi's if they eliminate the 1400 line?  (Read 14133 times)

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Will you continue to ride Moto Guzzi's if they eliminate the 1400 line?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2019, 06:27:48 PM »
I'm curious what the story is about the 1400? What have you heard?

Ncdan - The weight of the bike mostly matters at very slow speeds or parking it. I don't believe guys downsize for any other reason than dropping them while parking or rolling it around. Like you say, it takes no effort riding.

By the way - ridding is the action of getting something gone. Example -  I'm ridding myself of fleas.

Riding is the action of what we do when we ride.

britman

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2019, 06:51:54 PM »
Yes, just so they keep parts on the shelf.  I love my California Touring and tend to keep vehicles that agree with me for extended periods.  My 2005 Triumph Rocket has been in the garage since new.  The Thunderbird Sport I sold years back haunted me until I finally located another and set up to my personal tastes, it is staying put.  Finally the Honda CL77 I am in the process of restoring is also staying till the big"dirt nap" comes.

The Cally just has the looks, lines, sound, and ride that floats my boat.  The first time I saw one, (in print I might add), I decided I would own one eventually, and have never regretted the purchase.  If do away with the line, that's ok, I will still be on mine.....

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2019, 06:59:45 PM »
i just got mine back today with new rubber.  what a pleasure, so assured in the turns and absolutely serene on the highway.  only an unforeseen circumstance would tempt me to part with it.  if they stop making them, it doesn't matter to me because i already have mine.
Blue Guzz

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2019, 07:26:37 PM »
So here's a thought... What if...

What if they hadn't made the Cali 1400 a beastly Harley-esque bike?

What if they had instead placed that lump in an upright riding position, shorter wheelbase, SSSA chassis that was closer in size and looks to an original Eldo?

I think more differentiation from a Harley might have had me consider it longer when I was shopping.

But in the end it was too much a Harley and I preferred the Harley.

So I'm sad that it might go away, but I'm LOVING the look and feel of my smallblocks so I'm gonna keep some Guzzis in my garage.

Still I can't help but wonder what if...
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2019, 07:26:37 PM »

Offline DaddyRabbit

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2019, 07:43:05 PM »
i don't see any reason to get rid of mine just because guzzi moves on. 

Its interesting to me that 4 of my last 6 motorcycles have been Moto Guzzis.  On the face of it, that makes me somewhat of a loyalist.  But, i don't buy them because they are guzzis, i buy them because they fit my idea of what a motorcycle should give me.  After a few years of ownership, I sold the Stelvio, which i liked very much, and replaced it a few years later with a Super Tenere.  That lasted only a few months and i sold it to my son.  i replaced it with a KTM Super Adventure S, which really fits my idea of what that type of bike should be.   I have no plans to sell the KTM or the Cali1400 any time soon.

Would i continue to buy Moto Guzzi?  If I'm in the market again some day, and they build what i'm looking for, most definitely.  they have proven to be the marque that most consistently resonates with my ideal motorcycle experience.  i wouldn't let things like how much they piss me off for possibly letting the 1400 die off stop me from buying the best possible experience I can on the next one.  Once i buy it, i guess it doesn't really matter if they keep making it, i would already have one. 

DR
Ride with your kids...its cheap therapy for both of you.

03 Cali SS - gone
07 Vintage - gone
09 Stelvio -gone
13 California 1400
18 KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2019, 07:43:32 PM »
The 1400 is more than likely on the chopping block. If they do away with that lineup, will you stay on Guzzi?
I was told by one of the owners of GP motorcycles in SD that the 1400 has already been discontinued due to emissions and they are just selling all the remaining stock. The 850 is the future it seems.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:46:15 PM by Cage Free »

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2019, 07:46:49 PM »
I'm curious what the story is about the 1400? What have you heard?

Ncdan - The weight of the bike mostly matters at very slow speeds or parking it. I don't believe guys downsize for any other reason than dropping them while parking or rolling it around. Like you say, it takes no effort riding.

By the way - ridding is the action of getting something gone. Example -  I'm ridding myself of fleas.
Well many thanks for the grammar police action.  Duly noted, I'll pass it on to the spell checker. 👮👮

Riding is the action of what we do when we ride.

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2019, 08:16:42 PM »
Never really thought... "Gee, you know, if they discontinue selling the 1400's, I think I'll stop riding my MG '08 1200 Sport.... NOT!!!!!

A better question might be...

If Moto Guzzi stops selling motorcycles and the dealers go away, will I continue to ride them?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2019, 08:18:48 PM »
I have to agree; Luap, although I voted your question is too vague.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2019, 09:25:18 PM »
I have considered buying a Cal14.  If discontinued, I will probably drop them from consideration.  Last thing I want is a heavily electronic orphan motorcycle with the nearest dealer 250+ miles distant.
Same here. I have been looking at a Cali to satisfy my cruiser itch but I don't like the idea of owning a late model vehicle no longer in production. I'll probably look elsewhere if it gets dropped.

oldbike54

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2019, 09:35:21 PM »
I've heard scuttle butt in other venues that if they do away with the 1400 series, they would switch brands.  So, I thought I'd feel out this venue...

Yeah , well , those other sites are clueless , the real Guzzi riders inhabit this place  :smiley:

Maybe the new V85 will be a hit , don't small blocks represent like 90% of new Guzzi sales ?

Dusty

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2019, 10:12:01 PM »
If I wanted a 1400 (I like them just fine) I's wait a year and get a leftover for, I'm sure, a great price.
That said, models come and go for all manufactures-I don't see that influencing my decision.

I REALLY like my Guzzi experience but if it wasn't for the great dealer relationship I'm quite fortunate to have I wouldn't have a Guzzi.  I consider myself lucky to have found the brand and the satisfaction the bikes afford me.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline steveford

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2014 California Touring!!! I love this BIKE!!!
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2019, 10:15:57 PM »
There are enough 1400's out there that I don't think obtaining one will be a problem. I absolutely love my 14 touring. It still seems like a new bike to me even though it's close to 50000 miles. At some point it might get to heavy, we'll just have to see. I've still got a couple of Ev's  and a Convert hanging around to keep me in floor board bikes.
Keeping the Guzzi Passion Alive
Steve Ford
Vancouver Wa.

100,000+ mile 2001 EV http://wildguzzi.com/Rallies/Photos/AZ/1.jpg
77,000+mile 2014 1400 Touring
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ClnTFjmDyPMS2RBB3

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2019, 10:16:59 PM »
I don't have a Guzzi at this point. Without the 1400, there's nothing in the lineup that even remotely interests me. So, for me, no 1400, means no interest in any other Guzzi at this time. I'm even losing interest in a used 1400 now knowing that it's just another dead bike line that wasn't even supported when they were current. I've been there and done that twice already with dead lines and I'm not looking for a trifecta.

Though I did love the two Honda Valkyrie Interstates I had after Honda killed that line. And I love my Victory Cross Country Tour more than any other motorcycle I've ever had in over 50 years of riding. Even though Polaris killed off the entire brand, I have no plans or thoughts what so ever of getting rid of my Victory.

Though I do wish I hadn't sold the 1960 Stornello Sport 125cc back in 1999. And one of my old Converts may still be fun to play around on. But if Moto Guzzi is nothing but 750's and the 850, I have no reason to look at a new Moto Guzzi at this point. I'll continue to wish Moto Guzzi well. I sincerely hope they make some exciting 100th Anniversary models in 2021.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:26:07 PM by TN Mark »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2019, 10:24:47 PM »
I have to wonder if anyone in Guzzi management ever reads this forum?  There is no motorcycle forum like this one.

I just wonder within 5 years this forum will be guys that owned Guzzi and still ride, party and camp together.  Maybe like veterans groups or alumni associations. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2019, 10:27:14 PM »
My ambo just turned 50 and starts and runs like new. Don't get why I'd stop riding it just cuz the 1400 is being discontinued. Same for the rest of my Pre-aprilia herd.

The 1400 is a neat bike, but wasn't my kind of bike.

Maybe they'll re-purpose the motor and build something similar to the Guzzitech GTM01  :evil:
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2019, 10:37:40 PM »
I have to wonder if anyone in Guzzi management ever reads this forum?  There is no motorcycle forum like this one.

I just wonder within 5 years this forum will be guys that owned Guzzi and still ride, party and camp together.  Maybe like veterans groups or alumni associations.

They used to.   When I wrote up the purchase process of my Stelvio back in 2010 or so, I got a T-shirt in the mail from a guy in the New York (at the time) headquarters office, so they were reading it then.

Probably not now though.   I agree that this list is the best source of marketing information that Guzzi could have, and if they're not reading it, they're idiots.

BSA was in business for only 70 years.  But today, 58 or so years after BSA died a permanent death, I'm a member of 3 BSA clubs, have several BSAs, and will travel to England in August to meet, camp and ride BSAs with 500 other guys.  It's easier for me to get BSA parts than to get Guzzi parts, and I know guys riding BSAs on Iron Butt 50CC, Bun Burner, and other long rides.

You don't think that maybe Guzzi might be the same?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2019, 10:59:54 PM »
Why would I stop riding the brand I prefer just because they discontinue a line I never liked in the first place?

Sums it up nicely. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2019, 11:28:22 PM »
Sums it up nicely. :thumb:

i must concur.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2019, 03:26:42 AM »
Wait - there is a 1400 - line?
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2019, 04:02:10 AM »
I love the 1400 engine and I think the drivetrain has incredible potential.  I bought my Touring almost solely because of the engine.  What ruins the bike for me is simply the cruiser platform.  There are performance concessions made for style that will cause me to trade my bike at some point in the next year or two.  The too wide rear tire, weight and ground clearance issues are just par for the course on big cruisers so it’s not like Guzzi did anything wrong with the 1400, imho. 

I have little interest in the small blocks.  They don’t have the power I want.  I also don’t like matte paint or painted exhausts. 

For me, the Stelvio is too tall and too heavy for the kind of motorcycle it is. 

That leaves the new V85.  I might be interested in one when they come out with the four valve head.  The TT looks like it’ll be a success and is getting rave reviews.  I’ll definitely look at one as soon as they’re on dealer floors.

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2019, 06:19:43 AM »
As for the 1400 bikes...  not normally a fan of the big cruzers...  but when I first saw the Eldorado....  wow thats a nice looking bike!!  Doubt I will ever get one...  but I would love to ride one one day. I would be nice to keep them around for the US market at least.... but then again, if they keep not having any marketing for them.... why bother.
Paul B

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2019, 07:38:57 AM »
I have to agree; Luap, although I voted your question is too vague.

Yes it is vague. On purpose. Why? Because like I said before....other sites that I visit on occasion are talking about how when they stop the 1400's, they'll switch brands. The reasons they gave were vague, but most were liking it to similarities of Victory. They quit making Victories, so most of the people that already had one sold it just because of that. My personal opinion is that they sold their bikes only because deep down inside, they were just wanting an excuse to do that anyway.

I was simply curious about this site's thoughts. Silly me.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2019, 08:20:25 AM »
... I would stay with guzzi, say a V9 equipped like a 1400 touring, that would be sweet IMHO.
I think the V9 (or V85) that looked like a Cal Vin with modern stuff like EFI & ABS would be boss!  And if light enough my "off into the sunset" last new motorcycle purchase.
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2019, 09:36:56 AM »
I think the V9 (or V85) that looked like a Cal Vin with modern stuff like EFI & ABS would be boss!  And if light enough my "off into the sunset" last new motorcycle purchase.

NO, no, No, nO, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. God not the flaccid whale penis mistake of a tank. Just NO!

Less cruiser, more "classic standard" - Eldo, Ambo - ish.... look and ergos and BAMN - it's would be a hit.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2019, 09:44:56 AM »
For me it will depend a bit on how the V85 does. 
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2019, 10:16:06 AM »
For the roads around where I live the V7 shines.  I have the Road Glide for the roads you see when looking at a state map. 

I am enjoying the little Himalayan so much because there are hundreds of miles of gravel / broken pavement / chip & seal roads that run along ridges and streams that I wouldn't take the other bikes on. 

When I hop on the Road Glide I feel like I have to go somewhere.  When I hop on the V7 I am looking for curvy smooth roads.  When I hop on the Himalayan I get to really explore and smell the roses and enjoy the scenery.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline 1BADMGX

• New Egg
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2019, 10:59:37 AM »
I wouldn't be riding a Guzzi if it wasn't for the 1400 motor in my Mgx, I like the look, & feel of this heavyweight engine.
I have lightweight high HP bikes in my stable such as the Ducati Hypermotard & KTM 1290r Superduke. Guzzi has nothing to compete against them, but with the 1400 heavyweight motor they can compete in the arena against the HDs, Indians, BMWs, Hondas, Victorys, etc. Heavy cruisers.
For long distance riding you just can't beat the heavyweight cruisers, so IMO I think that if Guzzi drops the 1400 line it may be a major blow for them.
Motorcycle trends are always changing, and the heavyweight segment might be slowing, but I don't think that its ever going away.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »
Of course. My three Guzzis do anything Iwant. I told PIaggio that trying to compete with Harleys was a huge mistake. Nobody listens to me, however. When Iasked nephew Ricky the hawg guy if he even knew anyone that would *look* at a big Guzzi, he gave me the roll eye.
Love is blind they say.. and Ricky is now thinking of buying a Harley dealership. I'm telling him that would be a huge mistake. All the younger guys I see riding are on smaller bikes. Their electric is grossly overpriced. Still, nobody listens to me.. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2019, 11:15:19 AM »
I listen to you, Chuck.  :thumb:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here