Author Topic: Never been dropped F#@*!!  (Read 2860 times)

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Never been dropped F#@*!!
« on: April 10, 2019, 06:56:16 AM »
never been dropped   Make that only dropped once.  Had to put the bikes outside my garage/ shop to spray some cabinets as I often have to do. Then the snow came, by the time I could push them back in last night we had three inches on the ground. Well the ct 90 , no problem,,the LM ,no problem, the griso, Problem! Slipped on the push and down the bike and I went. Luckily it was a soft landing on the heavy snow and only my pride suffered this time.  Damn them griso's are heavy when laying down .  Had to shovel the snow away before I could get a good enough footing to right my poor baby.  No longer a virgin , I'll never look at her the same. :embarrassed:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 06:56:59 AM by lucian »

oldbike54

Re: Never been dropped F#@*!!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 07:01:09 AM »
 No no no no ...no . That isn't a drop , no witnesses , no damage  :rolleyes: :grin:

Dusty

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 07:08:45 AM »
 :laugh: Not sure about the no damage part.  My hips a little sore and I'm headed to the shop for a closer look. Too late and too disgusted to check her over close last night. I should have known better but water over the dam.

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 07:12:57 AM »
Now,that's out of the way.Im usually nervous around virgins,but once you've seen thier under bits a lot of stress is gone. I get over the guilt in about 12oz.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 07:12:57 AM »

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 07:14:18 AM »
Only the first scratch/ding/dent is painful...
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 08:28:48 AM »
The most natural position for a motorcycle is on its side! :evil: DonG

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 09:51:57 AM »
That first scratch or dent is so incredibly freeing. Until that point... you're kept in check by fear of damage, won't paint it, can't change it.

Once it's there? The doors fly open. Now it's time for paint and stickers and bungie nets and endless new "custom" choices.

Someone was looking out for you. Someone thought you needed a little less stress in your life.  :thumb:
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 11:06:47 AM »
That first scratch or dent is so incredibly freeing. Until that point... you're kept in check by fear of damage, won't paint it, can't change it.

Once it's there? The doors fly open. Now it's time for paint and stickers and bungie nets and endless new "custom" choices.

Someone was looking out for you. Someone thought you needed a little less stress in your life.  :thumb:

There is definitely some truth in this! Does throwing one down the road at 75 MPH after hitting a deer count?
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline bikeridertim

• Gosling
  • Just ride it!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 11:34:52 AM »
Pictures or it didn't happen!!  :wink: :wink:
2017 MOTO GUZZI MGX-21
1999 MOTO GUZZI EV11
1973 MOTO GUZZI ELDORODO
MGNOC L-201
AMA LIFE MEMBER 543509
IRON BUTT 12038

We struggle our whole lives so that we don’t have to struggle.  Huzo

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 12:22:50 PM »
Dumped my 2 week old Norge when the front wheel went out from under me on some silt when parking lot maneuvering. Got the honor badges on the Norge early on. Also confirmed I could pick it back up by myself, but not easily.  :tongue:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 12:28:05 PM »
Sorry

beetle

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 04:36:31 PM »
Bah! Amateur!

I think I'm on drop number 9.

:whip2:

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 05:18:08 PM »
I'm glad it wasn't the cali cause it would still be out in the driveway on it's side. I can't imagine lifting that thing. Time for some side air bags.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 05:23:49 PM »
I'm glad it wasn't the cali cause it would still be out in the driveway on it's side. I can't imagine lifting that thing. Time for some side air bags.

When I "slowly lowered" my Griso on it's side pinning my leg next to a jeep tire in the process I learned that it's easier to lever the bike up with about a 4' 2x4 wedged between the head and the pavement.  after decades of Construction you learn to use levers where ever you can
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 05:43:39 PM »
More and more these days when moving the Norge around in less than ideal circumstances, I do the start the bike, pop it into gear, and wheel it in under it’s own power with one finger on the clutch.
The Mk 2 is not so bad.
V85 will probably be ok too, at least for the next 3 or four years... :embarrassed:
Almost exclusively on slippery or wet surfaces, uneven ground, or up hill , I feel that I’m gunna go A over T if I push with reduced grip underfoot and I’m going to end up like a gutted fish on the ground with the bike laying on top.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 05:55:39 PM »
Good thing you wasn't hurt buddy. If she got a boo boo, just rub it for a few days every time you walk by it and for some reason after a few days it don't seem to matter anymore. That's how I deal with it anyhow:)

oldbike54

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 05:57:21 PM »
 Unless you had to call the fire dept to perform a rescue (which actually has happened) , then it doesn't really count  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline motocruz

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 10:28:46 PM »
Years ago I finished painted my DB side bags and windjammer fairing to match the bike, midnight blue on my 76 T3.

Had it in the driveway next to the boat. 10 year old Daughter comes out of the house and said, "dad it's beautiful, can I sit on it." No problem climb on up. She does, settles into the seat and over it goes right into the boat. Nice scratch on the fairing with additional boat color added in. She was horrified, no problem daughter crap happens.

After that it never mattered if it ever got scratched or road rock damage.... It always ran great no matter midnight blue or not
1976 T-3
1998 EV
1973 Triumph Trident
1980 Yamaha 400 YZ
2022 V85 Guardia D’Onore

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 10:56:04 PM »
 This is why I only buy pre-distressed motorbikes , less stress  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline jim mac

• Gosling
  • TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG www.guzzriders.org
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 05:27:43 AM »
Drop[ped my Norge on the drive a few weeks ago,  no way i was going to be able to lift it on my own.  called wife but she was no help.  had to wait until a passing neighbour could be dragged in to assist, not a problem.  some lower fairing damage that i can lift with and a bar end weight so not too bad.

always wanted crash bars for the Norge because of slow drops like this - pity none available without paying way too much and cutting up the fairing

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2019, 07:02:43 AM »
From jim mac:
Drop[ped my Norge on the drive a few weeks ago,  no way i was going to be able to lift it on my own.
Have you seen videos of how one person can upright a bike using a "backing up" technique?
When I dropped my Norge I was 56, 5,10" and about 180 pounds at the time. I uprighted it by myself, still not easy however.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql2LU1SRtIY
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline yackee

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2019, 07:53:03 AM »
Many years ago I was working on my 1979 SP1000  in my non-level apartment parking spot. I think I was trying to remove the center-stand springs while the bike was on that ridiculously short and precarious side stand. My pulling on the springs with all my force pulled the bike of side stand, and it fell on top of me! I was sooooo embarrassed, it was broad daylight in a busy complex, I couldn't get out from under it, and had to yell for my roommate's girlfriend, a 5'4" overweight never-worked-out type. She ran out of the apartment building, must have eaten her Wheaties that morning, grabbed the bike and lifted it up off me. I couldn't believe it. Very grateful!

That's the first and only time a bike has fallen on me, but not the only time I've dropped a bike. A few years ago I was parking my T3 in my garage, and I stepped off the bike and let go, forgetting to put the stand down! I was totally sober, it was just a complete brain fart. The bike kept its balance for a fraction of a second, then "bang". Thank goodness for the crash bars.

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2019, 08:15:53 AM »
It was 1970, Fayetteville NC (Home of Ft Bragg) and as the Carolina  sun had faded the factory red on my MGB I ponied up the money for a paint job.  Picked it up a week later, backed out of the shop bay into the back ally waiting to slide the shiny beauty into 1st when a delivery truck backed up the alley right at me.  I honked the horn, jumped up and down but to not avail. The paint guy who had just shown me his  handiwork ran towards to the truck' cab but alas, the ding was done. What is meant to be is.

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2019, 08:23:20 AM »
It's amazing what you can lift (and shouldn't), when the situation calls.
On a highway, traveling with traffic @ about 70+, a bus spit a twirling section of rail road tie across my lane. I hit it and went down. Managed to get foot and leg out before the bike hit the highway. The only grip I had get was on the throttle, with one hand. Fear, anger and stupidity had set in. Up it went. Pay back is a damaged rotator cuff. R3~

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2019, 11:08:39 AM »
No no no no ...no . That isn't a drop , no witnesses , no damage  :rolleyes: :grin:

Dusty
[/qwuote]
5 minute rule. Sort of like 5 second rule on cookies. If you make the gate it never hit the ground.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2019, 05:54:49 PM »
The hardest bike for me to pickup has always been my LM III.  OEM clip-ons and folding footpegs.  Laid totally flat on the front lawn.  No damage on the soft lawn.  Middle of the week and day.  No witnesses.  :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2019, 08:01:49 PM »
Totally flat would be a difficult one. Will have to work on those squat thrusts.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2019, 08:17:45 AM »
Dropped my Cali the day after I got her home. Was sitting still in the driveway trying to get her on the centerstand. Only drop to date.

That winter I located a set of crash bars and bolted them on. Just in case...

Wife's Softie came with bars. Same story with my Goldwing. Both of those have been laid over onto their respective bars, and that's it. Neither is difficult to get back up from that position.

Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2019, 01:47:39 PM »
Totally flat would be a difficult one. Will have to work on those squat thrusts.
GliderJohn

The bike went on it's left side.  It wasn't the lifting part.  Getting a grip on the bike with the left hand.  Hard to grab and the right hand on the clip-on handle.  Very little leverage.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here