Author Topic: road trip to the Hill Country  (Read 1021 times)

Offline rbond

• Hatchling
road trip to the Hill Country
« on: April 11, 2019, 09:16:08 AM »
Planning on a trip to the 'twisted sisters' in Texas, maybe in May. Have to get a tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, etc. first. Then try to get good weather in Louisiana and all across Texas for a week.... My 2012 V7C already has a windshield, travel trunk, and some leather saddle bags. The bags however have a cut out in them for shocks, I think these were originally meant for a Harley. So I am losing some room in the bags. Might try to replace those too. Anyway is anyone else planning a similar trip or does someone live in the area? Would like some company, it is going to be a long lonely trip to and back as is, much less riding by myself on the 'sisters'. Fun is better shared than by just one.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 11:20:04 AM by oldbike54 »
2012 MG V7C
1976 Suzuki GT500A
1978 Suzuki GS400C (long gone)
1973 Suzuki TS 100K (first new bike)
1969 Honda S90 (very first bike)

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
Re: road trip
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 11:54:45 AM »
Camping at Garner state park is a very nice option, it's a better camp site than at Lost Maples state park, although this is very close to the Lone Star Motorcycle museum, plus you have the Frio River to swim in too, which is very refreshing after a day in the saddle.  Lots of people camp there, so you can socialize even if you're by yourself...

Alternatively, if you stay in Bandera, you can get very reasonable accommodation too and some decent night life, or stay in Kerrville and ride the loop each day and come back to comfortable lodging if you don't feel like camping.

The riding is great...enjoy the trip!  To avoid the slab route, once you hit Houston, make your way thru La Grange to Austin to Johnson City, Fredericksburg and then the back way to Kerrville...much more enjoyable, less traffic and more twisties than than just going I-10 all the way.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:56:00 AM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Re: road trip
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 08:58:55 AM »
Safe travels...and nothing cleanses the soul...like an overnight motorcycle ROAD TRIP! 

Enjoy and take some photos to share with this forum!!!  :thumb: :smiley: :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
Re: road trip to the Hill Country
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 11:33:29 AM »
Texas Hill Country is some really great riding !  Get a Butler map of the Hill Country and go exploring,-- hopefully you can spend a few days there.  The "Twisted Sisters" are the most famous, but there is so much more ...  My V11 LeMans is like riding on rails on the roads down there.   Make sure your tires are in good shape and take along a plug kit, the pavement down there eats tires...  have Fun !

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 11:33:29 AM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 12:20:21 PM »
Make it about the journey and not just the destination and you will enjoy it so much more.

This route will take you near Sam Houston National Forest where you can camp.
https://goo.gl/maps/sHJch4ZKif12 

I would modify it to go on smaller roads that will take about the same time and less miles, and maybe modify to go somewhere halfway between Austin and San Antonio unless you want to visit one of those cities. 

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas/about-forest/districts/?cid=fswdev3_008443

The Twisted Sisters is some of the best riding in Texas, but pales compared to other areas of the country.

If you haven't been, you need to add Arkansas onto your bucket list of ride destinations.  In fewer miles you can be in some of the best riding short of East TN / NC / Northwest GA. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 12:21:52 PM »
The Lone Star Motorcycle Museum is definitely worth a visit. More and more, staying in a motel and returning at night is most appealing to me. I do tent camp and it's still fun, but everything you need at night, showers, and warm food are less hassle than camping, although generally more costly. Take plenty of water and drink it during the day! Enjoy.
Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 12:47:36 PM »
If you are in Fredericksburg, stop in at The Pacific War Museum.  It is well worth a couple hours time.  Ride safe and watch out for the deer.  Also, each of the small towns has a good BBQ place.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 01:07:19 PM »
The wife and I rode down while staying in Austin. We stayed in Leakey, TX at a motorcycle only resort. The cabins were nice and roomy. The site isn't motorcycle only now, but still an nice place (historic leakey inn?).

Nice riding when we were there. We tend to put on some miles, so the sisters were an easy day. We did explore the area a bit and enjoyed the trip. It's a bit of a haul for us in Michigan, but I'd do this ride again if in the area. Some decent elevation changes and the roads have curves...unlike a lot of TX.

Offline Lesman

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 01:47:16 PM »
If you get a chance. Go to Medina,TX..Great apple pie. The road from Kerrville to Medina is stunning.  The road from Ingram(outside of Kerrville) to Leakey is another fantastic ride. Part of this ride might be 337. If you get north of 1-10 Fredricksburg/Luckenbach to llano with a side trip down Willow City Loop is a great ride. Don't forget to Cooper's BBQ in Llano. It's a very enjoyable experience.

Offline Rusnak_322

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 02:50:21 PM »
I was in Texas a few years ago when my wife had some work down there. I rented a Harley V-Rod and rode through out the hill country. It was a lot of fun except that the V-rod tank lasted 90 miles and there were great stretches with no cell service and there was zero traffic or houses and no gas stations. 

1975 Moto Guzzi 850T - café racer in progress
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here