Author Topic: V100 Mandello Merged Threadfest  (Read 111246 times)

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: V100 Mandello Merged Threadfest
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2021, 10:06:15 PM »
The V700 looks curiously more like an Electraglide than a Falcone, especially if you enlarge that square toolbox to better mimic the saddlebag of the HD.  Not saying it's good or bad, just that it is.  In 1966, MG was deep in receivership and needing to survive.  You do what works.  Look at those two pics as posted.  nearly all details are either enlarged or diminished in place- even the number of design elements.  The V700 were also marketing heavily into the USA market, which apparently had little interest in a Falcone. Not saying it's good or bad, just that it is.

Still ain't seeing it. Gas tank totally different shape, front fender on the Guzzi far less valanced, bit of stretch to say that if the toolbox was enlarged it would look like the Harley saddlebag. Okay, Guzzi battery cover resembles the Harley battery box. Flat seat vs. buddy. Deeper, more prominent headlight bucket. V700 resembles an Electra Glide as much as Madonna (Chiccone) resembles the Madonna (and Child).

Charlie

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2021, 11:07:38 PM »
I can see this is going to be a long and contentious thread. Any guesses how many pages before anybody sees a bike?

Well there are pictures on page 1.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2021, 11:39:15 PM »
Well if nothing else, it’s a good little conversation starter.... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
I must have watched that short promo a hundred times.
Don’t be surprised if it pops up on Red Tube.... :drool:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 11:43:13 PM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2021, 11:54:28 PM »

Ahhh is all of this based on the damn color scheme? Or some other tie to that model?

The model that no one who is not already DEEPLY steeped in Guzzi history would ever have a clue about?

Yes new buyers may be "ignorant" of it, but how can you possibly "play" to something that no one knows or gives a crap about?!?

As someone who has owned and cared about Guzzis for about two decades I didn't know, nor would I have connected or given a crap about it

I guess I'm saying it's ok to draw upon a distant or even vague connection to the past for inspiration without it needing to be so direct to be legitimate.
Touche’ Sir... :bow: :thumb:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2021, 11:54:28 PM »

Offline Guzikid

• Gosling
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2021, 12:20:53 AM »
  All I got to say is.....I LOVE IT !   And I want one !!!  I'm sure it will be next year before we can get our hands on it.  BTW, the "red" V100 flat turns me on !!!   :thumb:  The Kid

Offline zedXmick

• Gosling
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2021, 12:52:25 AM »
I love  it!! I’d take the red!!it’s absolutely beautiful in the video!! Well done Moto Guzzi!!! :bow: :cool:t :thumb: welcome to the next 100 years indeed!!
2010 VFR1200F  DCT

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2021, 01:39:45 AM »
Looks awesome to me!
It's not a loop or Tonti, but it can't be can jt? Not if we want Moto Guzzi to thrive and survive.
They have to attract new buyers.
It certainly looks a shit load better than almost everything else modern.
And don't forget,  it's just the first version of a new range. Something will come along with a Le Mans badge.
Now, can someone give me one please?  :drool:

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2021, 01:47:16 AM »
My 2c
I see no tribute to v8 at all, nor anything pre mid 80’s
I do see the 1980’s in spades, think Lario, mk4 le mens, even T5 etc, or any oriental bike of time
Tupperware bikes we called them then
Guess retro had to move on from 70’s eventually, next gen of old codgers who that style appealed to will jump in.
Smart move, 70’s people go for V7 line, 80’s people this one

But the motor, if not properly modern in Ducati /Aprillia country , looks to be a new ball game, only thing it appears to have from Sig Carcano’s brilliant design of 65 is the engine configuration.
Peek inside will be interesting, valve train etc
Well done Guzzi, I hope it works

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2021, 02:07:48 AM »
This is a big sellout imho, just like the first Loop that was a blatant ripoff of a HD ElectraGlide.
In 1966 In Italy it was barely known that Harley Davidson was a motorcycle brand and none knew what an "ElectraGlide" was. The target for the V7 was the market of the BMW R60/69.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 02:09:00 AM by Dogwalker »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2021, 04:35:11 AM »

But the motor, if not properly modern in Ducati /Aprillia country , looks to be a new ball game, only thing it appears to have from Sig Carcano’s brilliant design of 65 is the engine configuration.
Peek inside will be interesting, valve train etc
Well done Guzzi, I hope it works

About sums it up for me Martin. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2021, 04:42:00 AM »
In 1966 In Italy it was barely known that Harley Davidson was a motorcycle brand and none knew what an "ElectraGlide" was. The target for the V7 was the market of the BMW R60/69.

:thumb:
I was going to say that before, but the plot is thicker
Guzzi had to beat the jerries to the USA market
Not copy Hardly Ableto but steal from them, in bigger numbers than anyone before
And they did, , nearly all sales where Stateside, interesting  to know BMW sales figures v Guzzi in 67 and 68
My money is on the V700
Only Honda stopped the fun in 69 and 70, yanks are fickle

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2021, 04:42:38 AM »

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2021, 04:51:19 AM »

:thumb:
ABSOLUTELYFUKINBRIL LIANT
Sideways in the wind tunnel
Being on the (windward) PULL side of the prop adds to it

Those clever adaptive aerodynamic doo dads work sideways in cross winds
Overtaking trucks at speed in windyland will no longer bother us, wind from left or right
I might have to buy one
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 05:21:50 AM by jacksonracingcomau »

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2021, 04:58:49 AM »
Those headers look like they serve a second purpose of crash bars?
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online Sye

• Gosling
  • Be nice, feel good
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2021, 05:33:46 AM »
Well, I think it fits the bill rather nicely. Great style, great power and what looks like great ergonomics. I will certainly be taking a test ride on one when they become available.

Moto Guzzi have been making bikes for a long time and have relied on the faithful to buy their bikes. I see nothing wrong with them having more up to date offerings in their line up. I'm sure they will continue building classically styled bikes for the faithful and will attract current Ducati, Honda and BMW riders with their new offering. Fair play to them and well done for being dragged into the 21st century.

Huzo, I tried eating ice cream with my arse, it didn't go well  :grin:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2021, 05:59:45 AM »
Those headers look like they serve a second purpose of crash bars?
They look a bit like covers over the actual pipe.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2021, 06:50:42 AM »
I notice this morning that the more I see it, the more I like it.

Of course I thought my Breva was all kinds of ugly, at first.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2021, 07:23:41 AM »
I kind of like it.  However, being on fixed income, I'd be more inclined to pick up a nice, rollered, low mileage Griso 8vSE.  Plus, like Chuck, I believe I too am aged-out.

Bob

What does it mean, "on a fixed income"?

I have been topped out at work for 10 years. Does that mean I'm on a fixed income? If you are retired that means you have the time to get a part time job to fund the new bike, while I don't.   Mmm.

And aren't there those on fixed incomes that bring in more than they spend on necessities?
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2021, 07:25:01 AM »
I notice this morning that the more I see it, the more I like it.

Of course I thought my Breva was all kinds of ugly, at first.

YES
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2021, 07:30:41 AM »
I’ll throw in on this one.
For those who like that style of motorcycle it’s probably appealing, personally they all look so much the same I can’t tell much different.
As far as the motor goes, I like the size and horse power speculation and the water cooled aspect is fine too.
Therefore I’d like to see a cruiser/tourer added to the line, even though I probably wouldn’t be able to own one due to the lack of dealership availability in my state.

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2021, 07:51:21 AM »
Since everyone here is clamoring to hear it  :wink: let me be more clear here than my initial “wtf” comments earlier in the thread. 

I actually think the whole bike pops, it really does.  Except that front end which is to my eyes is so bad, it nearly ruins the whole of the bike for me.  It’s a styling choice that just seems utterly bizarre to me.  Unlike some comments here, the front end does not remotely say “modern” to me and, in fact, it says worse than ugly, it says generic.  Not a single one of you blokes can tell me my opinion is wrong any more than I can yours so I’m not criticizing your beloved take on the bike, I’m just saying for me it’s a real disappointment.  Disappointing especially because it’s a new, powerful and impressive looking engine and Guzzi chose to market it with that front end which, again, seems more boring than ugly even.  And this from a guy who thinks they nailed the V7’s lines, they nailed the V85’s lines, shoot I even think they nailed the Roamer’s lines.  To me, if they were going to put a fairing on the bike I would rather it have been a single, round LED headlight in more similar manner to the Ducati Sport Classic series. 
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2021, 08:13:38 AM »
We've been seeing predictions of a water cooled Guzzi for over two decades now.  Remember this one?
Personally, I am happy to see the company moving in this direction.  But- that's my opinion.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 08:14:34 AM by jrt »
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2021, 08:15:32 AM »
Since everyone here is clamoring to hear it  :wink: let me be more clear here than my initial “wtf” comments earlier in the thread. 

I actually think the whole bike pops, it really does.  Except that front end which is to my eyes is so bad, it nearly ruins the whole of the bike for me.  It’s a styling choice that just seems utterly bizarre to me.  Unlike some comments here, the front end does not remotely say “modern” to me and, in fact, it says worse than ugly, it says generic.  Not a single one of you blokes can tell me my opinion is wrong any more than I can yours so I’m not criticizing your beloved take on the bike, I’m just saying for me it’s a real disappointment.  Disappointing especially because it’s a new, powerful and impressive looking engine and Guzzi chose to market it with that front end which, again, seems more boring than ugly even.  And this from a guy who thinks they nailed the V7’s lines, they nailed the V85’s lines, shoot I even think they nailed the Roamer’s lines.  To me, if they were going to put a fairing on the bike I would rather it have been a single, round LED headlight in more similar manner to the Ducati Sport Classic series.
What is it about twin discs mated to radial mounted Brembo calipers that suggests it’s not modern ?
I’m not saying you’re wrong, because by definition an opinion can never be wrong, just some justification for your thoughts.
If you had the open book to style the front end, would you have chucked the Ohlins junk in the bin and put something else on ?
What would you have done differently ?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 08:17:27 AM by Huzo »

Offline elrealistico

• Hatchling
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2021, 08:18:08 AM »
So I wonder--how much road testing has been done so far?  Some posters had poo-pood the notion of a "new" guzzi based on the lack of spy sightings of actual road-going machines getting flogged by testers from the factory. Maybe this will start now and up to including the "official" intro at EICMA? Production would have to start soon, to make it to the 2022 northern hemisphere spring market. Not a lot of time to correct deficiencies in design or manufacturing that may come to light with actual heavy road use
2018 V7III Special
1978 T140V Bonneville
2004 EV Touring

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2021, 08:20:15 AM »
So I wonder--how much road testing has been done so far? Not a lot of time to correct deficiencies in design or manufacturing that may come to light with actual heavy road use
That’s our job... :rolleyes:

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2021, 08:35:09 AM »
That’s our job... :rolleyes:

Beta testing has shifted from the lab to 'early adopter' consumers. Just like most software...
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2021, 08:36:22 AM »
What is it about twin discs mated to radial mounted Brembo calipers that suggests it’s not modern ?
I’m not saying you’re wrong, because by definition an opinion can never be wrong, just some justification for your thoughts.
If you had the open book to style the front end, would you have chucked the Ohlins junk in the bin and put something else on ?
What would you have done differently ?

I’m specifically speaking only of the fairing. 
2020 T120 Bonneville

Online Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2021, 08:41:54 AM »
I like it ! New Concept on more than one front. And of course there are complaints, this is not right and that is wrong,Lol.
The right move in my opinion to present a Sport Bike first ,anything after like Tourer ,Adventure will follow .
And don't forget ,for the longest time Moto Guzzi was a single Cylinder Bike ,had one of the last ,69'Falcone .
It was 'radical'for them when the V twin was brought to market.
This Bike/Concept hopefully attracts the 'Young[er] Generation.
Do i want one ,YES  because its so different !
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Online Sye

• Gosling
  • Be nice, feel good
« Reply #148 on: September 11, 2021, 08:55:15 AM »
I wonder if they are magnesium covers or painted looky likely?

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #149 on: September 11, 2021, 09:04:32 AM »
I fell asleep last night thinking about this bike like a little kid. Been debating the Ducati Multistrada as my main bike/weapon for a while, but just always seemed a little too aggressive and "too much". This v100 just seems easier to live with and really digging the styling. Definitely one I'd consider if I were to ever buy a newer bike from what I see. Moto Guzzi must think highly of this model as well to make it their 100th anniversary model, first water cooled (I think) and giving it the Guzzi's city name. Though... maybe it should have been an electric model  :whip2:

:popcorn:
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here