Author Topic: V100 Mandello Merged Threadfest  (Read 109570 times)

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V100 Mandello Merged Threadfest
« Reply #300 on: September 30, 2021, 01:51:03 AM »
Well Phil.
If it wasn’t for those guys, there’d be nothing to wait for.
 If it’s true and you really appreciate their efforts, there’ll doubtless be some tangible evidence of it when you get yours.

I'm quite serious, the early adopters are the sacrificial lambs, they just don't realise it so I appreciate their sacrifice. I have a "rule", never buy the first of any clean sheet model, car or bike. The minimum wait time is 2 years. After 40 years of watching various manufacturers engines evolve in fine detail it's served me well. Along with 2 relatives with long term careers in automotive R&D and testing for GM the chances of me buying a clean sheet model are zero. You can't unlearn some of the things I've seen.
Then you've got the dealership mechanics for which the early adopters bikes as their learning tool. I don't trust dealership mechanics with legacy designs let alone a brand new one. Want to be the first one to get his shim and bucket valve adjustment done on the new model? Doesn't affect me personally as My bikes never see the dealer again after taking delivery but for others that use dealerships for their maintenance, well.   

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 02:38:19 AM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline PhilB

• Hatchling
« Reply #301 on: September 30, 2021, 05:47:59 PM »
I'm quite serious, the early adopters are the sacrificial lambs, they just don't realise it so I appreciate their sacrifice. I have a "rule", never buy the first of any clean sheet model, car or bike. The minimum wait time is 2 years. After 40 years of watching various manufacturers engines evolve in fine detail it's served me well. Along with 2 relatives with long term careers in automotive R&D and testing for GM the chances of me buying a clean sheet model are zero. You can't unlearn some of the things I've seen.
Then you've got the dealership mechanics for which the early adopters bikes as their learning tool. I don't trust dealership mechanics with legacy designs let alone a brand new one. Want to be the first one to get his shim and bucket valve adjustment done on the new model? Doesn't affect me personally as My bikes never see the dealer again after taking delivery but for others that use dealerships for their maintenance, well.   

Ciao
That's a fairly common "rule", and I hear a lots of people advise it.  OTOH, the times I've broken it have turned out just fine.  It's not that none of us "realize it"; it's that some of us, for some machines, see the risk, and take it consciously.

In 1993, I wanted a new bike, and what I wanted was an unfaired sporty twin, which there were none of on the market.  Then Ducati premiered their M900 Monster, which was exactly what I had in mind.  Although it was a new model, it was mostly made from existing parts, so I felt the risk was not too high.  They also were unsure how well it would sell, so they were only committing to make it that year, and then see what happened.  I ordered one sight unseen (since they hadn't been brought into the country yet), and waited.  That bike was the best thing I have ever bought; I rode it daily for 24 years and put 265K miles on it.

In 2002, BMW introduced their new Mini Cooper.  It was a clean sheet design, so there was risk there.  But BMW was determined to make a good impression with it with good customer service and support.  My 2002 Mini Cooper S now has 228K miles on it, and it's been a delightful little car.  Not cheap to run -- if it needs something, you're paying BMW prices for it, even though the car is supposed to be cheaper.  But I don't regret it a bit, and expect to keep it until it dies.

This new Moto Guzzi is the first model of a brand new engine design, so I will readily admit to some trepidation, and that it would definitely be a bit of a gamble to jump into.  OTOH, I'm 58, making good money, and don't have infinite riding years left.  So I'm considering it.

PhilB

jwinwi

« Reply #302 on: September 30, 2021, 05:52:07 PM »
Among the many things we do not know about the V100 is how it sounds. That sound will probably haunt my dreams until I buy one.  :copcar:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 05:53:22 PM by jwinwi »

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #303 on: September 30, 2021, 05:59:47 PM »
Among the many things we do not know about the V100 is how it sounds. That sound will probably haunt my dreams until I buy one.  :copcar:

There’s a YouTube video somewhere in this thread of the bike starting and running.

Found it…

https://youtu.be/XLPwbhIySOY
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 06:01:02 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #303 on: September 30, 2021, 05:59:47 PM »

jwinwi

« Reply #304 on: October 01, 2021, 05:59:52 AM »
There’s a YouTube video somewhere in this thread of the bike starting and running.

Found it…

https://youtu.be/XLPwbhIySOY

OK, I remember seeing that but what I meant was how it sounds on the road going through the gears from 4K to redline with aftermarket exhaust. If it sounds anything like my SV650 with M4 headers and 'muffler' it will be glorious... And for anyone who has never ridden a modern V twin, the speed with which the V100 gets to redline will be a revelation in itself.  :shocked:

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #305 on: October 01, 2021, 06:29:21 AM »
there will be the same ratio of early adopters to "waiters" as there always are. it's human nature. personally, i think that is very healthy for the marketplace.
MG seems to have responded better to issues in recent years.  I know there were a few members with catastrophic problems on some 1400s that did not go as well as hoped, but speaking as a former 1400 owner, imo that was never going to be a mainstream bike.  however, the then new V85 is good evidence of a more considered response by the company.  Early on, there were two very minor recalls. I can't remember what they were and mine was not affected, but MG put a blanket one year extension on the warranty of all bikes.  After 18,000 miles, they are going to make my first warranty repair into the extension year. one of the small heat shields vibrated off of the exhaust and they are covering it under warranty.
personally, the V85 is probably my last touring bike until i downsize, but i believe i would buy a V100 when they hit as i did the v85 if in the market for that type of bike.
Blue Guzz

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #306 on: October 01, 2021, 10:49:07 AM »
I've never bought a brand-new/clean-sheet model of anything, and only bought one brand new vehicle before in my life! But I figure if you want to support the brand, someone has to take the bait. Might as well be me.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #307 on: October 01, 2021, 11:15:08 AM »
Some lead, most follow.  Takes courage. 
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #308 on: October 01, 2021, 01:28:49 PM »
I have bought a couple of first model year vehicles. The first was an R75/5. I first saw it announced in Cycle magazine. I put a deposit on one the next day. I got the first one in Denver, it was a good bike. I had a couple of issues, the CV carbs didn't work right. BMW replaced them right away and infact since I was putting a lot of mileage in a short amount of time they were actually as kind of a beta tester keeping an eye on my bike. The stator went bad at some point, the only problems I had.

My other is a 2013 Heavy Duty Ram, first year with major frame and some other changes. I've only had a couple of recall issues, supposed improper welding on a drag link support bracket, they were hand welded but mine was fine. The DEF system need an upgrade which was done. The tie rod link clamp may not be tightened properly, no issue there either. Overall the truck has been excellent with not a single issue affecting me. I think some manufacturers are going overboard on recalls due to some of the litigation that has plagued some manufaturers in recent years. I am not afraid of first year products and now that I think about it somemore while typing this, I had one of the first Chrysler Sebring convertibles. Not one issue with it.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #309 on: October 02, 2021, 05:07:21 PM »
I'm happy for those who have plunked $$ down for one of the new Mandello's.  I also have a hankering for one of the new 850's, and am hoping that they come out with a Carbon Bright model.

I'm looking forward to seeing them in dealers though, and a full on Norge style replacement would be a game changer for me, especially if the ergo's were right.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #310 on: October 03, 2021, 07:48:21 AM »
i was at cadre last week and was told that they have several deposits already. it was the same when the v85tt came out.  this is great momentum for our little brand.  what a change from 20 years ago.  even the last of the norge, stelvio, v9, 1400 and even some of the v7 series have recently been available as left overs at least one model year old. much more profitable for piaggio to sell them without having to offer incentives and for dealers not to have to floorplan them. i'm stoked as this demand may encourage piaggio to bring on the variants sooner rather than later.
Blue Guzz

Offline bmp72

• New Egg
« Reply #311 on: October 04, 2021, 04:28:15 AM »
Wonder if I would fit on it (6ft4) ?

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #312 on: October 04, 2021, 10:30:58 AM »
i was at cadre last week and was told that they have several deposits already. it was the same when the v85tt came out.  this is great momentum for our little brand.  what a change from 20 years ago. 

Twenty years ago Guzzi was selling the V11 Sport (which sold pretty well) and all the California related cruiser variants (which in combination sold pretty well).  Thirty years ago wasn’t so good.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #313 on: October 04, 2021, 10:50:20 AM »
No, they really didn’t sell particularly well.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline bulwnkl

• New Egg
« Reply #314 on: October 07, 2021, 07:14:11 PM »
I bought a first-year Mazda. It was brilliant! Also bought a first-year Honda NC700X (s/n: 57). It’s also been a rock-solid machine. A first year Chevy (ages ago) was worse than a money pit.

I think this new bike looks pretty good. I’m looking for a 100% 2-up tourer now (can a 1400 Cali or Eldo do that well?), so not for me, but I’m glad they’re making the changeover to meet new emissions regs.

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #315 on: October 08, 2021, 06:49:28 AM »
Tus:  What I meant to say and must not have said it very well was 20 years ago(ish), there were left overs aplenty and what does pretty well mean, a few hundred of each model? I drove 400 miles with a friend in 2004 to pick up a left over 2001 Stone.  Do you remember a time when such a large number of deposits were taken on bikes (including the V85, now on the V100) before they arrived?  I can't, but maybe that is just senility creeping in.
Ciao
Blue Guzz

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #316 on: October 08, 2021, 08:31:27 AM »
Do you remember a time when such a large number of deposits were taken on bikes (including the V85, now on the V100) before they arrived?  I can't, but maybe that is just senility creeping in.
Ciao

I was on the phone with Team Charlotte Moto yesterday discussing my deposit as a matter of fact. I put mine in 9/25, they told me I'm first on the list, and that 3 other folks had put down a deposit for one since I placed my order!

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #317 on: October 08, 2021, 08:34:07 AM »
I was on the phone with Team Charlotte Moto yesterday discussing my deposit as a matter of fact. I put mine in 9/25, they told me I'm first on the list, and that 3 other folks had put down a deposit for one since I placed my order!

Which version did you order?
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #318 on: October 08, 2021, 08:54:31 AM »
Which version did you order?

They have me down for the green one.  It remains to be seen if it really come spec'd with the active ohlins setup and how that affects cost...  I really want the Centanario color scheme, but not sure I can stomach a $3-4k premium for the computerized suspension. That seems to be the markup on similarly equipped Ducati & Aprillia bikes... 

In a perfect world I would choose Green with standard suspension... but if that one only comes with ohlins, then I will have a decision to make.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #319 on: October 08, 2021, 12:54:00 PM »
They have me down for the green one.  It remains to be seen if it really come spec'd with the active ohlins setup and how that affects cost...  I really want the Centanario color scheme, but not sure I can stomach a $3-4k premium for the computerized suspension. That seems to be the markup on similarly equipped Ducati & Aprillia bikes... 

In a perfect world I would choose Green with standard suspension... but if that one only comes with ohlins, then I will have a decision to make.

Having owned and ridden a few Ohlins-equipped bikes over the years (Guzzis and Ducatis), the premium will be worth it!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #320 on: October 08, 2021, 01:11:13 PM »
Having owned and ridden a few Ohlins-equipped bikes over the years (Guzzis and Ducatis), the premium will be worth it!

Oh no doubt! but the computer-assisted active suspension? Might be overkill...  But I'm getting the bike either way, maybe I will be singing its praises in a few months?

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #321 on: October 09, 2021, 02:38:51 AM »

Well, hmm. I've been riding Ohlins equipped bike for 35 years and while the OEM stuff is decent it's nothing to rave about. There's a lot of oem Ohlins hype around that's for sure. My first Ohlins equipped bike used the exact same forks as they used on the 500 GP bikes at the time then they went to their "production" suspension for the manufacturers. I ditched the std " production" Ohlins on my 1198S and replaced them with the "road and track" versions FGRT803 and TTX shock, proper Ohlins suspension and far superior. Depends on the premium you need to pay really. Ducati people often buy the base model and then upgrade the suspension to the " serious Ohlins" as the overall cost is cheaper and you get the superior quality suspension.

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #322 on: October 09, 2021, 11:40:43 PM »
That's a fairly common "rule", and I hear a lots of people advise it.  OTOH, the times I've broken it have turned out just fine.  It's not that none of us "realize it"; it's that some of us, for some machines, see the risk, and take it consciously.

In 1993, I wanted a new bike, and what I wanted was an unfaired sporty twin, which there were none of on the market.  Then Ducati premiered their M900 Monster, which was exactly what I had in mind.  Although it was a new model, it was mostly made from existing parts, so I felt the risk was not too high.  They also were unsure how well it would sell, so they were only committing to make it that year, and then see what happened.  I ordered one sight unseen (since they hadn't been brought into the country yet), and waited.  That bike was the best thing I have ever bought; I rode it daily for 24 years and put 265K miles on it.

In 2002, BMW introduced their new Mini Cooper.  It was a clean sheet design, so there was risk there.  But BMW was determined to make a good impression with it with good customer service and support.  My 2002 Mini Cooper S now has 228K miles on it, and it's been a delightful little car.  Not cheap to run -- if it needs something, you're paying BMW prices for it, even though the car is supposed to be cheaper.  But I don't regret it a bit, and expect to keep it until it dies.

This new Moto Guzzi is the first model of a brand new engine design, so I will readily admit to some trepidation, and that it would definitely be a bit of a gamble to jump into.  OTOH, I'm 58, making good money, and don't have infinite riding years left.  So I'm considering it.

PhilB

Phil:  26 years ago, I said, "I'm 58.  Don't have that many years of riding left".  I rode just over 300 miles last week.  I don't know how many years of riding I have left!!

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #323 on: October 11, 2021, 10:33:26 AM »
Phil:  26 years ago, I said, "I'm 58.  Don't have that many years of riding left".  I rode just over 300 miles last week.  I don't know how many years of riding I have left!!

Ralph

Funny you say that. At 50, I thought I was winding down and tiring of riding. I was on an FJR at the time, and bored. I discovered Guzzi, and converted by a 4V Griso, which re-ignited my love of riding. 58 now, and there is no looking back, and I say with all respect that all you old guys inspire me with hope that I will be able to keep at it for at least another 20 years, and excited at the prospect of 20 years of post retirement 2 wheeled bliss..... Yes, I want to be like Bill Hagan  :bow: :evil:
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #324 on: October 11, 2021, 11:23:25 AM »
That's interesting what you say Bulldog. Maybe for another post, but I find that the fire in me to ride has waxed and waned, but never gone out since I hit road in 1995 (I was previously an off road trial dude and general kid riding around in the bush in the 80s....). If I find I'm a bit down on riding, I try and plan for a trip to somewhere not local - Wales usually does the trick for a long weekend, Scotland for a week, and Europe if I have more time and money. I always come back filled with the joys of riding...
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #325 on: November 23, 2021, 05:50:49 AM »
..... excited at the prospect of 20 years of post retirement 2 wheeled bliss..... Yes, I want to be like Bill Hagan  :bow: :evil:

Me too, me too!

I'm 53.   My current plan is to retire at 59 1/2, by then the house is paid for, our daughter will hopefully be done with college, and I can start collecting my 401k w/o penalty.   The wildcard, is, of course, how much will health insurance cost.  I'm hoping to fill that gap by stuffing as much into my 401k Roth as I can so my taxable income in the gap years until I qualify for medicare can be minimal.

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline vintage53

• Gosling
« Reply #326 on: November 23, 2021, 05:55:43 AM »

News should be coming out from Milan today!
1977 Lemans 1.2 "Project"
2004 V11 Coppa Italia
2010 California Vintage
2021 Vespa 75th Anniversary Primavera 150

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #327 on: November 23, 2021, 07:05:58 AM »

News should be coming out from Milan today!

:popcorn:
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #328 on: November 23, 2021, 07:13:11 AM »
WOW, just WOW…
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #329 on: November 23, 2021, 07:26:45 AM »
I think these are just load-in days? Doesnt ECIMA officially start 11/25?

Motorcycle.com is saying the claimed HP is 115

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here