Author Topic: V7 Sport Gear Oil  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
V7 Sport Gear Oil
« on: June 17, 2022, 09:54:58 PM »
New and super proud owner of a 1973 V7 Sport.

I looked all over, I swear... So for gear oil...
...80/90 in the tranny?
...and 80/90 OR 80/140 in the rear and?

Engine oil... 10/40... I'm in South Florida so should I consider 20/50?

And should I go synthetic for all?

Thanks ahead of time!!

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 Sport Gear Oil
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 10:54:11 PM »
Welcome and congratulations. Wiser heads will hopefully chime in. I like any good dino 10w40 in the crankcase.  For the gearbox and rear I use Red Line Heavy Shockproof full synthetic, mostly since it is pink and I can tell what is coming out of the clutch housing onto my garage floor.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 11:00:39 PM »
Unless this is a brand new rebuilt engine with Zero miles, stick with conventional oil.

20W-50 for the engine should be good for your location. 80w-90 GL4 or 5 for the trans and rear end. Done...Easy enough!!!

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 11:36:32 PM »
  ^ Completely agree . Not too sure I'd go with 10w40 in the engine though , 20w50 has always worked well for those engines . Peter

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 11:36:32 PM »

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 05:56:39 AM »
Just my opinion, which probably isn't worth much, I don't own a V7 Sport, although I have Guzzis with a later version of the 5 speed box

I used to run the pink milkshake AKA Redline shockproof heavy, but moved away from it. For a while it silences the box and results in smoother changes but I found that these didn't last too long and after that it behaved like any other oil. Secondly I hunted for specs on it, it doesn't meet any of the usual approvals and Redline do not tell you what's in it. I'd rather use something that met with industry standard approvals (and preferably a spec sheet telling me what's in it).

I don't want to start a war on this, thousands use the "Pink Milkshake" (HD riders love it), there have only been a VERY small number of negative reports that I've seen, so it does work.

In my bikes I'm running Royal Purple 75/90 synthetic that or 80/90 would be fine.

I don't know if the earlier boxes used any more yellow metal components, so I'd check data sheets or ask, as some GL5 rated oils (I think) can be agressive to them, the Royal Purple isn't.

I think the V7 manual calls for a straight 90 but that's probably more age related

If you feel you'd like to quieten the box a little, then some have moved to a 80/140, but I'd start with the 75 or 80/90

As far as engine oil, from my (limited) experience the 2v/v heads develop good pressure and in general run cool (for an aircooled engine). I'd run a 15/50 or 20/50 in the engine, I monitor pressure and temp and above 2k RPM the pressure is always at 60psi, the PRV setpoint and the temps on my earliest bike (a LM1000) is just stupidly cool, 70C or thereabouts. My 1100 Sport though runs significantly hotter, but it's being pushed harder to generate more power.

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 06:57:08 AM »
Holy cow you guys are awesome... overnight and so many great replies! So may that I won't quote each but will reference many!

Motor is not rebuilt... 12k original miles and runs so well it puts all my previous new bikes to shame.

Yeah I figured in SoFla with the temp I'd go with 20/50... and yet I do notice with the cylinders way out in the wind this thing runs way cooler than my Harleys(I know, sorry, years ago... but they were good to me) and Ducati (modern but air cooled) did.

Saw so much mentioned about using synthetic oil... but always thought it wasn't friendly with older engines and their seals and see conventional recommended here... so will stick with conventional. Will be changed far more often than necessary anyway. How often do you clean the filter? Every change or every other?

As far as gear oil... saw a lot of 80/140 in the rear end... but per your advice will stick with 80/90. What about Moly??

Thank you again... I always knew the MG crowd was a good and passionate one... definitely see that here!

Thank you so much again!! Glad to be a member and maybe I'll see some of you out on the road!

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 07:16:41 AM »
Do you know if the original chrome cylinders have been replaced or relined?

If not, oil type won’t matter when your engine grenades.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 08:10:53 AM »
Nothing brings tears like an oil thread.

After a lot of homework, I'm using Chevron Delo ESI 85W140 gear oil (it's hard to source)

I found this motor oil test a couple days ago. There are some surprises in it.

https://www.accessnorton.com/Oil-Tests/NortonOil.php

Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2022, 08:30:41 AM »

Motor is not rebuilt... 12k original miles and runs so well it puts all my previous new bikes to shame.

Agreed.  If not already done the original cylinders will have to be replaced, especially if only 12K original miles because it hasn’t been kept in regular use.  Plan on doing Cylinders, pistons, rings, gaskets, clean sludge trap in crankshaft, resolve any damage to the rest of the internals if chrome has circulated…. If you do not address all of it on the first go-through, you will address it all by the time you’re done.  Hearing that crankshaft grumble is not a happy feeling.  Btdt with my V7 Sport long ago.  After that, all has been even better than ever.

As far as oil, I run Castrol GTX 20/50 in the engine and plain 90w or whatever the factory manual recommends.

Welcome to the V7 Sport world, Richie.  It’s a great place to be imho.  Mine is just a hammered old bike, nothing special or super original but feel glad to get in touch if I can ever be any help.  Clint
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2022, 08:44:10 AM »
Oh !  Oh !  An oil thread !
 :boozing:

When selecting a gear oil, I look for the "MT-1" rating.  It is a manual transmission rating and contains a seal conditioner.  Many of them have it printed on the label.  Other than that, pick your brand.  80W-90, 75W-90, 75W-140 nobody cares.

Every motor oil brand and grade known to man, and some we're not sure about - have been used in these motorcycles.  You could probably put SAE 30 in there and it would be happy as a clam.  So yes - 20W-50 will work about as well as anything else.

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2022, 11:00:07 AM »
Nobody trying to crap on your day.As I understand the issue,if you don’t address it the damage will be far worse than the fix up front.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2022, 11:18:19 AM »
You just looking for an opportunity to crap on someone’s day?

Thanks for the pep talk but not sure it’s relevant. May get it rectified or when that happens I’ll rebuild it. No worries. But for now… wasn’t asking.

Cam was only trying to make you aware of a very common issue with older Guzzis including the V7 Sport. Catching flaking chrome bores early means you'll spend around $1000 in parts + labor to remedy it, waiting until it "happens" will cost four times that amount. Anyone that really cares about their older Guzzi will be proactive and do whatever it takes to prevent damage as much as possible.

It's very easy to determine what cylinders you have: remove a sparkplug, make sure the piston is down away from TDC, insert a "pencil magnet" (the stronger the better) and touch the cylinder wall. No magnetic attractive = chrome, very slight = Nikasil, strong = iron liners.

There is no oil filter (from the factory), just a fine mesh strainer screen on the oil pickup. This will not catch the chrome flakes.
Charlie

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2022, 11:19:43 AM »
I thought I was fortunate.  My engine was partially apart with frozen pistons from sitting for a decade, so I assumed (….) the bubbly chrome  was isolated with those frozen pistons.  So I just did the top end.    Never found any debris in the bottom end, so never thought to do a full inspection or r&r while I was in there.  I just hopped on and started riding.  Within a couple of years, the small amount of chrome bits that had made it to the bottom end had wrecked the crank, bearings, oil pump, camshaft, lifters…..   

There’s different levels of crappy days.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2022, 12:02:22 PM »
Wow, okay.  You asked a question about oil in your V7 Sport.  Those of us that also have one are familiar with the bikes.  I offered up another issue that should be looked at.  Low miles in a hot humid climate is the worse thing for flaking chrome. 

So ride on, enjoy the bike!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 12:07:24 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2022, 12:20:51 PM »
Sorry to everyone that I responded in haste to what I saw as a rude comment. Regardless of the post, I should have just focused on there positivity here.
To those that took time out other day(and night) to provide very helpful information? I really do appreciate it. Unfortunately I don’t have relevant knowledge here to return the favorites yet but do have a mechanical background so hopefully someday. If anyone has IT questions though, lol, I’m your guy!

For those that genuinely did provide helpful posts regarding the chrome cylinders… I do appreciate it and was aware already. I was a certified mechanic in a past life and, while not wealthy, am sufficiently secure financially to deal with anything that arises. I would not have gone from a new bike with extended warranty to a 50 year old without knowing what I was getting into and without expecting resultant expenses. This bike and I are the same age… almost to the the month. We’re both likely to need some expensive work down the road, lol… but we’ll see each other thru it.

Thank you all so much again and, again, apologies for my tone regarding the sarcasm. Was unexpected here, but probably should not have been.

I have removed any of my posts that were not informative, only that someone looking for info regarding oil or chrome on the cylinders will find a helpful thread. Anyone else is welcome to do the same, obviously.

For those reading I had reacted to Cam's original "grenade" comment poorly. So take his responses in context.

Have an amazing weekend and ride safe!!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 03:56:39 PM by Richiez22908 »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2022, 12:44:16 PM »
Unfortunately, the emojis aren't used enough.   :grin:  Over reaction is a common problem on this and other forums.   :tongue:  Going to the rallies and meeting other Guzzi people usually solves this.  However the forum has supplanted the meet in person rally.  An observation. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2022, 01:03:16 PM »
On the note of oil changes AND chrome cylinders. While I’m in the pan is there any retrofit filter system or method to add to or replace the screen?

… and the bike is from a dry part of TX… so didn’t sit in humidity. Might not end up mattering but just FYI.

Thanks again everyone.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 01:05:27 PM by Richiez22908 »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2022, 01:08:46 PM »
Good question.  I forget.  I just dump the oil and clean the screen.  You get use to the right hand shift and backwards pattern to the trans.?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2022, 01:25:58 PM »
Good question.  I forget.  I just dump the oil and clean the screen.  You get use to the right hand shift and backwards pattern to the trans.?

The right hand shift surprisingly came quickly but the reverse shift pattern has been way tougher. I still catch myself shifting “down” to second when the light turns green. And also don’t go to the left foot to assist braking as naturally yet.

Edit… I’ll add that although Lino Tonti was a genius, the guy that engineered and placed that sidestand was not… or was and just hated people.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 01:34:07 PM by Richiez22908 »

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2022, 01:54:46 PM »
Agreed.  If not already done the original cylinders will have   Hearing that crankshaft grumble is not a happy feeling.  Btdt with my V7 Sport long ago.  After that, all has been even better than ever.

As far as oil, I run Castrol GTX 20/50 in the engine and plain 90w or whatever the factory manual recommends.

Welcome to the V7 Sport world, Richie.  It’s a great place to be imho.  Mine is just a hammered old bike, nothing special or super original but feel glad to get in touch if I can ever be any help.  Clint

Thank you!!

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2022, 03:59:27 PM »
Richie,

I didn't mean that in a sarcastic way.  Just realistically bringing to light a common issue with these old Guzzis.  I have Gilardoni cylinders on both my V7 Sport and Ambo.  You'd be surprised how many owners don't know about the issue. 

Love the color by the way.  Mines a '74, so it has left side shift.  It's does have the reverse "one up, four down" shift pattern.  My mind adjusts to it pretty quickly, but I do miss a shift every now and then.  Charlie Mullendore (Antietam Classic Cycle) did the complete restoration for the previous (very brief) owner.

http://www.antietamclassiccycle.com/v7_sport_restoration/

Cam

PS - And yes, you should add some moly to the gear oil in the rear drive.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 04:03:51 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2022, 04:02:11 PM »
I owned a 1973 V70 sport in the engine I use Mobil 1 15 50 weight transmission and rear differential 75 90 mobile one and just an FYI your bike engine does not have an oil filter if it's all original it has just a screen thing like the early Volkswagen bug

TOMB
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 01:29:30 PM by TOMB »
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2022, 04:21:14 PM »
Richie,

I didn't mean that in a sarcastic way.  Just realistically bringing to light a common issue with these old Guzzis.  I have Gilardoni cylinders on both my V7 Sport and Ambo.  You'd be surprised how many owners don't know about the issue. 

Love the color by the way.  Mines a '74, so it has left side shift.  It's does have the reverse "one up, four down" shift pattern.  My mind adjusts to it pretty quickly, but I do miss a shift every now and then.  Charlie Mullendore (Antietam Classic Cycle) did the complete restoration for the previous (very brief) owner.

http://www.antietamclassiccycle.com/v7_sport_restoration/

Cam

PS - And yes, you should add some moly to the gear oil in the rear drive.

Thank you Cam.. really... Was out on the bike and that part of the comment just bummed me out, even though I knew of it before. Not your fault.

I have kept an eye out for a gilardoni cylinder kit so let me now if you come across one..

Bike is really well put together, restored where it needed and left alone where it was great... It does run so well and with such low miles that it would be a shame to ruin the rest of a good motor by not getting ahead of it, I get that. And I did get it knowing it may need just about everything replaced eventually.

Wow... nice pics of the work.. and a lot of them. But for what you probably paid, he got quite a few bucks per pic!

Thanks again for the info. I'll probably see you again when I do that "replacing my cylinders" thread!

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2022, 09:09:35 PM »
My 2 cents, been using Shell Rotella 20/50 in my Eldorado, V7 Sport and every other Guzzi Twin from the 70’s I have owned. With the Eldorado and similar vintage Guzzi’s without an oil filter I change oil at 1000 mile intervals (fully rebuilt motors).
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2022, 09:15:26 PM »
My 2 cents, been using Shell Rotella 20/50 in my Eldorado, V7 Sport and every other Guzzi Twin from the 70’s I have owned. With the Eldorado and similar vintage Guzzi’s without an oil filter I change oil at 1000 mile intervals (fully rebuilt motors).

20w50? Do you mean Shell Rotella T4 15w40? That's what I run.
Charlie

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2022, 09:21:07 PM »
The cylinder "should" be stamped with the Guilardoni (never get spelling right) name. Look at your spark plug, then go all the way down to the crank case. Between the case and the first fin "should" have the name stamped in it if it's been upgraded.

A FWIW: Way back in about 1980 in the days before internet I got my Eldo. When I went to a Guzzi dealer for parts nobody mentioned the chrome bore issue. I ran it for probably about 15 years at least with chrome bores. Never knew of the issue. The only reason I changed the cylinders was due to the chrome "wearing" out near the top.

A FWIW2: My Ambo on the other hand that I bought just after the Eldo. For some reason I decided to pull the heads right after I bought. Maybe even before i started it???. I found the chrome "pealing NOT little flakes" off in the bore on one side. The other side was perfect. Changed bad side to a iron cylinder and kept running the chrome good side for again, about 15 years. Upgraded both due to wear.

AND: While we have an oil thread going..... Valvoline VR1 40wt (best price is from the rain forest site, about $5.88 qt.). Eldo, Ambo, '62 F100 262ci Inline 6 all get it in my So Cal coastal temps.

Hope this helps,
Tom
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 09:28:00 PM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2022, 09:07:48 AM »
Check with a magnet like Charlie suggested and go from there .  The tough part of this chrome bore issue is it is a plain fact, like going over the bars at highway speed with no helmet.   It may sound too abrupt to say fix it or else, but these bikes have issues & a cost of admission that cannot be avoided with impunity.

With that said-

The upgrade nikasul cylinders with pistons & rings on my V7 Sport were purchased in late 93 via Parts Is Parts, sold specifically by MG to remedy the chrome bore problem.  They came in unopened factory Moto Guzzi marked boxes (still on shelf as souvenirs) with no markings on cylinders, external or otherwise.   Externally, they look just like the chrome cylinders I removed from the bike.  Over the years, I’ve had people warn/criticize me when they didn’t see Gilardoni on the outside of the cylinders.  Some even told me I probably only got plain chrome cylinders.  Someday I might be smart like them...  I know they had the best interest of my bike in mind.

NOS pistons & rings are here waiting to be sent to Millennium with the cylinders for nikasul plating when the time comes to do the engine on my V700 Corsa record project because 700 cylinder kits have  been NLA for a while and probably will always be.  Not sure if V7 Sport Gilardoni cylinder kits are still on-shelf items.  If not, Millennium is the company I would contact to replate your original cylinders.

This CX100 has Gilardoni hallmarks on the cylinders, which confuses me if the 1000 engines normally had either iron liners or Nikasul as oem.  Looking at old Raceco catalog last night, now I’m curious if it may be a 90MM nikasul kit or similar on the engine along with the other mods. 
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2022, 12:44:27 PM »
Check with a magnet like Charlie suggested and go from there .  The tough part of this chrome bore issue is it is a plain fact, like going over the bars at highway speed with no helmet.   It may sound too abrupt to say fix it or else, but these bikes have issues & a cost of admission that cannot be avoided with impunity.

With that said-

The upgrade nikasul cylinders with pistons & rings on my V7 Sport were purchased in late 93 via Parts Is Parts, sold specifically by MG to remedy the chrome bore problem.  They came in unopened factory Moto Guzzi marked boxes (still on shelf as souvenirs) with no markings on cylinders, external or otherwise.   Externally, they look just like the chrome cylinders I removed from the bike.  Over the years, I’ve had people warn/criticize me when they didn’t see Gilardoni on the outside of the cylinders.  Some even told me I probably only got plain chrome cylinders.  Someday I might be smart like them...  I know they had the best interest of my bike in mind.

NOS pistons & rings are here waiting to be sent to Millennium with the cylinders for nikasul plating when the time comes to do the engine on my V700 Corsa record project because 700 cylinder kits have  been NLA for a while and probably will always be.  Not sure if V7 Sport Gilardoni cylinder kits are still on-shelf items.  If not, Millennium is the company I would contact to replate your original cylinders.

This CX100 has Gilardoni hallmarks on the cylinders, which confuses me if the 1000 engines normally had either iron liners or Nikasul as oem.  Looking at old Raceco catalog last night, now I’m curious if it may be a 90MM nikasul kit or similar on the engine along with the other mods.

Yeah pretty sure they're original... and I have had my eye out for Gilardoni replacements. So if anyone comes across a pair... lol

Found these here... but don't believe they're compatible... so asked and waiting.
https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gilardoni-piston-cylinder-set-82-5mm?_pos=1&_sid=d69fd5431&_ss=r

The Sport ones should have the relief at the top of the piston for one of the valves, as I understand it.

Oddly.. the pics of the set at Scrambler Cycle(out of stock) don't show the relief either. Might just be the wrong pic for the item.
https://scramblercycle.com/products/moto-guzzi-v7-sport-750s-82-5mm-gilardoni-piston-cylinder-kits-w-hd?variant=14030063272011

This one does have the relief I'm talking about.
https://hmb-guzzi.de/Cylinder-Kit-V7-Sport-750-S-750-S3

Might just go the reposting route. I’ll send the pistons too so they can fit the rings(obviously if everything looks good when it’s opened up)

And unless I’m being optimistic… and I never am… it doesn’t look like it’s all that hard to remove those suckers. Conversely… rear main leaks a bit even though it was already replaced once… the that’ll be a bigger job, having to remove the motor. Might tackle that while the cyls are on vacation at Millennium if I go that route.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 01:32:53 PM by Richiez22908 »

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2022, 03:26:28 PM »
You Don't "have to" remove the engine to do the rear main. Search here for crabbing the frame. Just pull the trans out.

If you have changed the rear main seal, and it was done right, it shouldn't leak. But, the paper gasket that seals the rear main bearing to the block can leak over time. Another thing in there that can leak is the metal breather tube gasket or even the disc that closes of the cam opening.

Before going after the seal, you might want to check the breather box lines that enter the bell housing. If one is leaking, many times it shows up like a seal leaking.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2022, 04:22:22 PM »
You Don't "have to" remove the engine to do the rear main. Search here for crabbing the frame. Just pull the trans out.

If you have changed the rear main seal, and it was done right, it shouldn't leak. But, the paper gasket that seals the rear main bearing to the block can leak over time. Another thing in there that can leak is the metal breather tube gasket or even the disc that closes of the cam opening.

Before going after the seal, you might want to check the breather box lines that enter the bell housing. If one is leaking, many times it shows up like a seal leaking.

Tom

Thank you!! I'll look closely once I get it opened up and may bug you for a second set of eyes, lol. Only leaks after its been run, leaks a few drops for like 10 minutes, stops. Not leaking while riding, I believe, because not making a big mess on the cross pipe etc behind it. Comes from right over the drain plug, drips form under the plug.

Figure all this will be easier with the cylinders off so at least there's that lol. Might just bite the bullet and do it all at once.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 04:23:51 PM by Richiez22908 »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here