Author Topic: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners  (Read 554152 times)

Offline Suncoast

• Gosling
Re: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2014, 02:47:48 PM »

Thanks Steve.

Leaf, resetting your learned parameters is paramount when uploading a new map.
Otherwise, the trims will work against a map designed not to be trimmed.

How do you reset the learned parameters?

Thanks again!! ;-T
Current rides: '01 KLR 650 (winter Bike)
                    '07 Breva 1100 L'altra donna (summer bike)

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2014, 03:31:13 PM »
How do you reset the learned parameters?

Thanks again!! ;-T

In the actors menu, same page as tps reset.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #152 on: July 14, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »
**********DING  DING   DING *************

My Stelvio is fixed.  I found the problem: spark plugs.

After all that effort and time, the darn plugs turned out to be the problem. The old pair had about 15k miles on them and they looked good.  I had cleaned them but not replaced them.

After going through the re-mapping, checking my valve lash, throttle synch, plug wires and several other things, I ordered and installed a pair of DENSO IRIDIUM plugs IU24A, 5365.  The iridiums are single electrode.

These new plugs immediately showed results when I first started the bike. It fired off immediately and set into a nice idle.  I warmed the bike up for a few miles and then started a series of low end pulls in various gears from 2000 rpm on up. I never had a hiccup.

I know. I know. It's a simple, obvious thing that I should have tried early on but I didn't.  I looked at the plugs but their appearance was deceiving.

Anyway, in the end, with help from all of you here on this site, I learned how to change maps and do many things that will be useful for me in the long run.  Again, I thank everybody for the advice, maps and help.

One thing's for sure. Right now I have a highly-tuned Stelvio with all settings within a gnat's butt of being perfect.  The thing runs soooo good.

______  

2012 Stelvio NTX

Stock spark plugs :  NGK CR8EKB

Replacement:  DENSO IRIDIUM IU24A (5365)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:26:49 PM by leafman60 »

Online guzzi ride

• "One more day I find myself alive Tomorrow maybe go beneath the ground" Garcia/Hunter
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2014, 06:41:21 PM »
Glad to here ;-T I've been following this thread.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2014, 06:41:21 PM »

Hellgate

Re:
« Reply #154 on: July 14, 2014, 06:43:55 PM »
Great to know Leaf! :)

I'm glad to hear your big girl is happy again.

Vasco DG

« Reply #155 on: July 14, 2014, 06:51:54 PM »
Odd, Eh?

I haven't had plug problem in years and then yesterday I had a bloke turn up with a single TB smallblock that was running like crap. Checked all the usual suspects and found nothing so I pulled the plugs and found they had been swapped to Champions, (Never a good thing in my book.) but what was really noticeable was that not only were the gaps way, way too large but the center electrode had eroded at an angle! Very odd!

Anyway new plugs, re-set the self learning parameters and everything was golden again. I was just surprised as plugs, even Champions, are so good nowadays as to be virtually foolproof!

Pete

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #156 on: July 14, 2014, 07:42:25 PM »
Odd, Eh?

I haven't had plug problem in years and then yesterday I had a bloke turn up with a single TB smallblock that was running like crap. Checked all the usual suspects and found nothing so I pulled the plugs and found they had been swapped to Champions, (Never a good thing in my book.) but what was really noticeable was that not only were the gaps way, way too large but the center electrode had eroded at an angle! Very odd!

Anyway new plugs, re-set the self learning parameters and everything was golden again. I was just surprised as plugs, even Champions, are so good nowadays as to be virtually foolproof!

Pete

I had a lawnmower problem I posted about a couple of weeks back. Acted *exactly* like a bad coil. I'd replaced that coil 130 hours ago. Tested the (new) plugs on my aircraft plug tester just for grins, and sure enough.. the new plug was bad. Happened to be Champion, but....
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Penderic

« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2014, 09:27:10 PM »
Maybe counterfeits? Spark plugs are not inexpensive these days.

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #158 on: July 15, 2014, 02:10:25 AM »

After all that effort and time, the darn plugs turned out to be the problem. The old pair had about 15k miles on them and they looked good.  I had cleaned them but not replaced

Great News! And like you said, now you have a perfectly set up bike.

The Stelvio maintenance schedule calls for new spark plugs every 10,000 km, which is the same interval as the oil. Seems a bit excessive, and you can probably stretch it, but it seems not too much. :-).

If you get bored, you can still go back to playing with the maps! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #159 on: July 15, 2014, 04:37:22 AM »
Great News! And like you said, now you have a perfectly set up bike.

The Stelvio maintenance schedule calls for new spark plugs every 10,000 km, which is the same interval as the oil. Seems a bit excessive, and you can probably stretch it, but it seems not too much. :-).

If you get bored, you can still go back to playing with the maps! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, 10,000 KM seems ridiculous to me.  The iridium plugs are much more durable than the stock type plugs so maybe I will not experience any problems for a while. 

I do know now that any hiccups from a seemingly properly tuned machine may be due to the spark plugs.

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #160 on: July 15, 2014, 04:19:58 PM »
Okay, I have read this entire thread and did not see the answer I was looking for. I hooked everything up to my bike, and got nothing but a red light on my cable.  No gauge dance or anything.  I tried to check my drivers and could not find any FTDI drivers, so I downloaded them from the link in the thread. Could not get them to go to the device. I pulled the connecter apart and the chip stated CH340T.  I bought the cable off Amazon, so I guess with the data in hand, I have the wrong cable. This is the wrong cable, correct? 
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #161 on: July 15, 2014, 04:26:47 PM »
My first cable that ended up in the round file was from Amazon.  Ordered on from EBAY but I believe there is a link in this thread for the correct cable.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

beetle

« Reply #162 on: July 15, 2014, 05:22:46 PM »
This is the wrong cable, correct? 

Correct.  Guaranteed correct cables HERE

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #163 on: July 15, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »

Correct.  Guaranteed correct cables HERE

Been to that website. Waiting to get  response from them the total cost in USD, and what just the USB adapter alone would cost.  I already have the FIAT adapter.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline damoru

• Hatchling
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4h2RcTykag
« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2014, 12:49:07 AM »
My map comes with a -128 CO Trim value. Is it normal? Don't know if it comes from stock, or if someone tuned it.

beetle

« Reply #165 on: July 16, 2014, 01:58:39 AM »
If lambda is switched on, CO trim has no effect. If lambda is off and your CO trim is -128 then something is not right. That is a big adjustment.

What bike? The map may not be set up right.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #166 on: July 16, 2014, 02:31:38 AM »
My map comes with a -128 CO Trim value. Is it normal? Don't know if it comes from stock, or if someone tuned it.

Well Co trim is not in the map, it is a value stored in another memory part in the ecu. Or do you mean you got a map from someone who told you the CO should be set -128?   Co trim goes from -128 to +128, so 0 is the middle, and normaly starting point.
Paul

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #167 on: July 16, 2014, 02:40:42 PM »
Paul, others, I am trying out several maps on my Stelvio NTX.  Do you have one that you'd be so kind as to send my way for me to try?

Mine has an aftermarket MIVV muffler with baffle installed.

Many thanks

David L.

leafman60@hotmail.com

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #168 on: July 16, 2014, 04:38:41 PM »
you have a two lambda model?
Paul

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #169 on: July 16, 2014, 06:16:44 PM »
Yes, my Stelvio is 2 lambda

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2014, 07:20:21 PM »
Hi, Paul.

Finally got a chance to check the cable on the bike, and I think it looks right:

Brown/Red
Black
Blue

The connection on the 3-pin cables seem to fit very well.   Not sure where to go next...  :-\

Thanks,
Shaun

Hi Paul.

Just back from vacation, and found the new cables from LonElec in my mailbox.  So, I have connected everything back up, reloaded drivers (from the LonElec website) and... still no luck.  Device manager shows both USB Serial Converter and COM5 to have FTDI drivers, and the test program works (red light on cable is illuminated).  This makes two computers, three OBD cables, two 3-pin cables without success.  I'm really starting to think that the problem must be on the bike (cable to ECU).     Maybe I should go buy another motorcycle to test on.   ;D

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2014, 07:46:02 PM »
Okay -- happy to report that I am now up and working.  Stupid me -- I didin't realize that the bike would  have to be in neutral to even connect.  Good safety measure, I suppose (even if not planning to run the bike).  I can't remember if it was in gear when I was testing before, so I might go back and test the other cables. 

Sincere thanks for all the patience and input.  Hope this is of help to someone else!

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #172 on: July 24, 2014, 08:48:39 PM »
Okay -- happy to report that I am now up and working.  Stupid me -- I didin't realize that the bike would  have to be in neutral to even connect.  Good safety measure, I suppose (even if not planning to run the bike).  I can't remember if it was in gear when I was testing before, so I might go back and test the other cables. 

It does not exactly have to be in neutral. But if you have the sidestand out, then it has to be in neutral, just to power on the ECU on the bike. It is part of  the safety built into the bike itself. Nothing directly to do with GuzziDiag.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2014, 08:58:05 PM »
Thanks, Wayne.  I certainly understood that the lockout features would prevent starting, but didn't realize that they would prevent the ECU from interacting at all.  You learn something new every day!

Funny thing is that I would normally have done this with the bike on the lift table, and would never have even come to realize the restriction.  The only reason I didn't is that I am in the process of taking care of a few issues on the Eldo.  I guess I should be glad that I learned this lesson before it showed up in future and really confused me!

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2014, 08:48:31 AM »
Autel (CH341SER)  Ports    Install failed

I keep getting this when I try to install the drivers.  I have Window 8.1 installed. I have a Lennovo Laptop which is less than a month old.  I am having trouble getting the Guzzi Diag to read the ECU.  It will connect to the ECU, but I can't get it to read or download the current map. I was using the reader program to try and do this.  That program wouldn't connect at all. Am I missing a critical driver??
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2014, 08:58:03 AM »
It will connect to the ECU, but I can't get it to read or download the current map.

Just FYI.
If GuzziDiag by itself is connecting. You can't have GuzziDiag and the reader or writer running at the same time. Only one at a time can get access to the comm port.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2014, 10:31:49 AM »
Oh, okay.  I'll try it again tonight when I get home at 2200.  The error I posted, is that critical, or do I have all the driers I need? 
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2014, 11:17:53 AM »
Oh, okay.  I'll try it again tonight when I get home at 2200.  The error I posted, is that critical, or do I have all the driers I need? 

No idea what the error is. I don't think I even installed drivers on my Win 8 machine. But it was a number of months/beers ago.

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2014, 11:26:41 AM »
No idea what the error is. I don't think I even installed drivers on my Win 8 machine. But it was a number of months/beers ago.

Thanks Wayne.  When I get home tonight, I'll try to locate where the laptop landed last night in the garage after I um, um, finished using it. ::)  I have three sons who are very tech savvy, while I have to wear high heels to keep my knukles from draggin.  I hate having them show me how to do something on it, they make it look as easy as pissing off the wife.  :wife:  I am bound and determined to master this myself, regardless of how many um, replacement laptops I have to buy to replace the ahhhh, non working ones.  ~; :D 

Stand by for more stupid questions.  ;) 
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2014, 03:07:29 PM »
Okay, I have read this entire thread and did not see the answer I was looking for. I hooked everything up to my bike, and got nothing but a red light on my cable.  No gauge dance or anything.  I tried to check my drivers and could not find any FTDI drivers, so I downloaded them from the link in the thread. Could not get them to go to the device. I pulled the connecter apart and the chip stated CH340T.  I bought the cable off Amazon, so I guess with the data in hand, I have the wrong cable. This is the wrong cable, correct? 
Hey Stormstruck,
Sounds like your having all the same grief I had initially. The cables from LonElec in the UK are the 'Ducks Nuts' !
It took nearly 3 weeks to get them via post to aus, but when connected for the first time, they installed themselves in the blink of an eye and I had a new com port 5.  I already had the latest FTDI driver on the laptop. I was a bit stunned that it was so easy.
The other cable sets I was using ( cheap copies ) would sometimes work with guzzidiag but not with the writer program, but the next day they would, extremely frustrating stuff.
I think I've waisted a couple of days deleting and downloading new copies of drivers etc trying to get it all going.
Ron

2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here