Author Topic: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners  (Read 554078 times)

Offline sknapp351

• Hatchling
Re: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #270 on: October 11, 2014, 02:48:16 PM »
Use the cable drivers from Guzzidiag, and not the drivers that came with the cable. http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/
Also, under the File menu, you'll need to click on Preferences and select the proper Language, COM port and Motorcycle. For the first time selecting COM port, have everything connected, and you may have to select the highest # com port. IIRC, it's COM 6 on my PC, and Com 4 on my mac.
Ken

It is definitely in neutral. The side stand is bypassed as it is a sidecar rig.

Will I need to somehow uninstall the drivers I have installed already, or can I simply install these over them?

I did set the language, and bike. It had no other options on mine other than Com 3.

Thanks!
Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #271 on: October 11, 2014, 03:01:47 PM »
It is definitely in neutral. The side stand is bypassed as it is a sidecar rig.

Will I need to somehow uninstall the drivers I have installed already, or can I simply install these over them?

I did set the language, and bike. It had no other options on mine other than Com 3.

Thanks!
Sam

Not sure if you can install the proper driver over the other one, but I would recommend uninstalling it first. A different COM port will most likely appear after you install the proper driver and connect everything together. I get COM 3 only when the cables aren't connected to the bike.
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #272 on: October 11, 2014, 03:08:19 PM »
When you go into device manager in windows control panel, look at the com ports it has (with kkl attached to computer) Since you have one, open that there and look what driver version it has. Indeed best is to uninstall the wrong(old?) driver first, and install the one from guzzidiag  download page. after that check version same way to see if it has the version that you just installed. The bike you did select, tells it has a 15m?
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline sknapp351

• Hatchling
GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #273 on: October 11, 2014, 03:10:44 PM »

When you mentioned the drivers on the GuzziDiag page, I looked and saw Mac drivers. So, I went back and used my MacBook Pro and it worked like a charm.

I don't believe I can reset the tps on the jackal through the software, so I'm going to read up to recall what the setting should be at idle. I also don't know if I can adjust CO trim at all. I'm only checking it because someone said it may be related to an issue.

I have the rear wheel off to get relaced, so the muffler on that side is off. Can I run it like that? Or should I wait till I get the rear wheel back?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildguzzi.com

GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #273 on: October 11, 2014, 03:10:44 PM »

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #274 on: October 11, 2014, 03:14:19 PM »
No the 15m doesn't have a tps reset, the empty rows, can be filed with values from the dropdown list. start the engine to see things moving

And I sse I have two newer maps for your bike. If you want to try, pm your emailaddress

Yes you can set CO, values go from -128 to +128. I suppose it will run without silencer, but the neighbours might not like it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 03:19:51 PM by pauldaytona »
Paul

Offline sknapp351

• Hatchling
« Reply #275 on: October 11, 2014, 08:29:07 PM »
I have read earlier on this thread that it is good to adjust the CO down until I notice a drop in idle. I will work on that after I get my rear wheel back.

Is it possible to set or verify the TPS setting using the readings here? I saw that some said the readings here are not precise enough to set, and the only settings I have seen are 150mv without linkage and all screws backed out, and 520mv at idle. I don't know what to look for here for the TPS.

Thanks for any advice,
Sam

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #276 on: October 14, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »
Had a chance to upload some maps this weekend on my 1200 Sport and give them a try.

So far I've tried two maps from two different people. Both give me a bit of a bog off idle when cold (cold is relative in Tucson, AZ). One map makes the bike undid able when cold, opening the throttle results in a stall, the other has a noticeable bog but I can ride through it.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I've been using a map from Todd with the PC-V and Autotune and have been satisfied for years. Now I'm trying for some better mileage.

I disconnected the PC-V from the injectors prior to remapping. Reset TPS after loading map and reset learning parameters. I'm making an assumption that the lambda stays turned off with these maps, but that wouldn't be active until warmed up anyway, right?

So, try messing with the CO?

Vasco DG

« Reply #277 on: October 14, 2014, 08:51:49 PM »
Any changes apart from the PCV/AT?  Non standard air filter? Different pipe?

beetle

« Reply #278 on: October 14, 2014, 09:46:55 PM »
CO trim could help, provided there are no radical differences between your bike and what the maps were built for.  Try -10.

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #279 on: October 14, 2014, 10:53:04 PM »
Any changes apart from the PCV/AT?  Non standard air filter? Different pipe?

Leo Vince pipe with db killer installed, stock air box with aftermarket filter and open top.

Vasco DG

« Reply #280 on: October 15, 2014, 01:01:42 AM »
OK, can't see that being an issue. Baffled right now. Who's maps.? Dave's and Tony's and Mark's I imagine.....

Pete

beetle

« Reply #281 on: October 15, 2014, 01:10:13 AM »
Open top?  Not one of my maps.

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #282 on: October 15, 2014, 04:33:35 AM »
Bisbonian I believe is referring to one of my maps. This was set up using a data logger with a standard silencer and a Sprint (Agostini) air filter.. The map works well at 13.5/14 AFR across the rpm/tps range with no cold start issues on my bike or other users to date.  The map works well also with a GPR silencer with the db killer installed.
I have tried twenty or so combinations of maps and hardware but the standard silencer/Sprint filter combo achieved the best results in terms of improved throttle response, mid range torque and fuel consumption.
The CO trim with this set up on my bike is +4.

I cannot produce a map for any other set up because of not being confident of the results without doing the data logging runs to verify the AFR ratios and actual performance.

The previous use of the PC equipment may muddy the waters a little and returning to the factory map and air filter arrangement until the problems are resolved maybe helpful.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 04:39:56 AM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #283 on: October 15, 2014, 10:04:57 AM »
OK, can't see that being an issue. Baffled right now. Who's maps.? Dave's and Tony's and Mark's I imagine.....

Pete

I've tried one of Dave's and one of yours so far. The map you sent to me bogs slightly when cold but I can ride through it. Seems to run nicely once warm.

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #284 on: October 15, 2014, 10:17:23 AM »
Bisbonian I believe is referring to one of my maps. This was set up using a data logger with a standard silencer and a Sprint (Agostini) air filter.. The map works well at 13.5/14 AFR across the rpm/tps range with no cold start issues on my bike or other users to date.  The map works well also with a GPR silencer with the db killer installed.
I have tried twenty or so combinations of maps and hardware but the standard silencer/Sprint filter combo achieved the best results in terms of improved throttle response, mid range torque and fuel consumption.
The CO trim with this set up on my bike is +4.

I cannot produce a map for any other set up because of not being confident of the results without doing the data logging runs to verify the AFR ratios and actual performance.

The previous use of the PC equipment may muddy the waters a little and returning to the factory map and air filter arrangement until the problems are resolved maybe helpful.

Correct. The 20 map I got from you (haven't tried the other yet) will stall when cold. However, once the engine warms it runs very nice and smoothly.

I have no problem putting the airbox back to stock to check things out, but I have no access to a factory map.

I do understand that bikes are individual and a map created and used successfully on one may not work well on another, hence the popularity of dyno tuning with the Power Commanders and later the autotune which allows for constant adjustment.

I read further up this thread that resetting the learning parameters could turn the lambda back on? Is this not a problem with the maps specifically built with the lambda off or do I have to worry about it? I don't have the lambda on my bike as it was replaced by the wide-band for the autotune.

I think I'll try bumping the CO a few steps first, I never have luck getting the tank off to mess with the air box.

One last thing. How can I actually look at the different maps? It would be interesting to see the difference between what I've been using and what is available now. Of course, I probably would not know what I'm looking at so maybe I don't need to know.

Thanks for the help!

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #285 on: October 15, 2014, 01:05:44 PM »
Without loading a map with the lambda enabled (which you haven't got) the lambda will remain off. You need to have a look at the CO levels to address the cold starting problem it won't be in the map I sent you because the values are the same as the factory settings.

If your initial problem was that the PC/autotune set up was using too much fuel can't the autotune be changed to run leaner? although with a open top airbox Guzzitech may have added more fuel to compensate. So possibly with a different map but retaining the open airbox you could be running too weak. I seem to remember in the Guzzitech blurb that running their airbox kit also required their reflash so be careful.

I have sent you a factory map via email.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:18:18 PM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

beetle

« Reply #286 on: October 15, 2014, 03:44:42 PM »
Oh, so the other is one of my maps. Which one?

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #287 on: October 15, 2014, 04:03:52 PM »
Without loading a map with the lambda enabled (which you haven't got) the lambda will remain off. You need to have a look at the CO levels to address the cold starting problem it won't be in the map I sent you because the values are the same as the factory settings.

If your initial problem was that the PC/autotune set up was using too much fuel can't the autotune be changed to run leaner? although with a open top airbox Guzzitech may have added more fuel to compensate. So possibly with a different map but retaining the open airbox you could be running too weak. I seem to remember in the Guzzitech blurb that running their airbox kit also required their reflash so be careful.

I have sent you a factory map via email.

The autotune allows me to adjust the fuel/air ratio for different throttle openings at different RPMs. I can change this but am hesitant to stray too far from what Todd set it up as.

I have the Autotune tables that I can view but they are on a different computer that I have to dig out. I seem to remember having the ratio set around 13.4-13.6:1

Definitely going to try putting the air box back to stock and see what happens. I will miss the incredible intake honk but if I can gain a few mpgs and get the bike running smoother then it will be well worth it.

Penderic

« Reply #288 on: October 15, 2014, 07:10:30 PM »

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #289 on: October 16, 2014, 05:15:38 AM »
We can already connect our 5AM ecu's to a smart phone via the ScanM5X app. and pretty good it is too.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=scantwin.scanmM5.AllinOne&hl=en
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

redrider

« Reply #290 on: October 29, 2014, 06:48:13 AM »
Received cables, installed drivers, connected to ecu, map read and saved. DL Tunerpro and cannot see the map. XDF and BIN? What and how do those things work? Must I wear the colander, stand on one leg while waving a nine iron in a hailstorm? Naked. My first book was a stone tablet.

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #291 on: October 29, 2014, 07:02:02 AM »
Not a 100% sure , but I think I copied the appropriate XDF file into tunerpro , and it then allows you to read your bin files. No tin hats required  :D
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

redrider

« Reply #292 on: October 29, 2014, 07:23:27 AM »
I am a Luddite. What are and how do you manipulate XDF and BIN files?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #293 on: October 29, 2014, 08:29:30 AM »
I am a Luddite. What are and how do you manipulate XDF and BIN files?

At the bike:
Run the program 'GuzziDiag' to diagnose the ECU. Set or reset the TPS. Look at the sensor readings. If GuzziDiag does not work with your cables, then the reader and writer likely won't either.
Run the 'Reader' that is appropriate for YOUR ECU, to read the BIN file from the ECU to the PC.
Run the 'Write' that is appropriate for YOUR ECU, to write a BIN file to the ECU from the PC.
Remember, each of the above programs needs to access the ECU cable. So you can only run one at a time.

With the files:
Once you have a BIN file run TunerPro. In TunerPro, load the XDF file to configure TunerPro to your type of ECU. (TunerPro is universal and needs the XDF to decode your bin file). Then load the BIN file that you want to examine. When you are happy, save that BIN file and run the Writer (see above) to write it to the ECU. (I strongly recommend saving a copy of the original BIN file, just in case)

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

redrider

« Reply #294 on: October 29, 2014, 08:58:25 AM »
DUH!! All I had to do was DL the XDF from GD. Since I know nothing of programs, extensions and the manipulation of said items, navigation is problematic. As I interpret it, the xdf  file is a translator or key to unlock the ecu data which is in a bin format. Thanks to all who have assisted with this. Now to find some maps...

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #295 on: November 22, 2014, 02:52:38 PM »
This is a basic howto for the GuzziDiag suite of tools. This howto will show you how to connect, read (backup) your existing map, write (flash) a new map and perform a TPS reset. This uses the Windows versions, but Mac & Linux versions function the same.

For the 5AM ECU, you will need the following software from the GuzziDiag page:

For the 15M ECU you will need these:

What about for the MIU G3?  I managed to eventually get the correct cables and got Guzzidiag (Mac, V0.44) to connect to the ECU of my V7 Stone.  Is there yet software to download and upload maps for this ECU?
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Mal Wright

• New Egg
« Reply #296 on: November 23, 2014, 04:36:58 AM »
Today I loaded the map from Mark into my 1200 Sport setup with the snorkle removed and a second-hand staintune pipe. It has put some life into the old girl! Like Bisbonian, I also have the PCV and auto-tune, so when I installed the new map I also reset the PCV back to zero. Bisbonian, I think this might explain the bogging that you were getting. If you left the PCV at the settings from Todd AND installed the new map from Mark, then the mix would certainly be too rich, which might explain the bogging off idle.

With Marks map installed, I initially set all PCV table settings (under Fuel/Table) to zero. Then I ran the bike for half an hour and loaded the auto-tune adjustments into the PCV. I did this twice this afternoon to get the fueling right for my setup as an adjustment from what Mark provided. My auto-tune raised the fuel percentages quite dramatically in some places, probably due to the rather loud Staintune pipe.

When I first installed the PCV a few months ago I chose not to shoot for the ECU remap. With just the PCV, and removing the original O2 sensor to fit the auto-tune, I think the ECU cuts back to a safe timing setting in the lower revs, and I noticed that the throttle response was much softer. It was very smooth on partial throttle and not a bad setup for cruising or touring. It also had very good parking lot manners and was easy to get right down to 1600-1800 revs and ease the throttle on. Once you get heavy on the throttle then the old girl would take a deep breath and pull pretty well up into the rev range. The PCV setup solved the hole in the torque curve with pretty good punch between 3 and 6k, and also pulled more smoothly very low in the rev range around 2k, but still popped just a little on decel.

Now with the Mark (beetle) map for the 1200 Sport things have gone bad in a good way! The bike starts immediately, and the throttle response is quicker with less throttle required before the bike barks and starts to pull. When I open up the throttle the engine is louder and definitely has a some more punch throughout the rev range. The bike can now shake just a little more at low throttle due to the power pulses, possibly related to more ignition advance in the lower revs. I'm Ok with that, its not offensive and nothing like what you get on a motocrosser. There are no bad manners from this map and guess what, no decel popping. Just a slight burble as the revs get down under 3k. Beautiful sound.

Bisbonian, if you are looking for better fuel consumption, then you need to change the auto-tune values. Todd sets these up to 13.4 and 13.2 depending on the throttle and revs. I think you could try up to 14 quite safely, especially around the cruising revs and throttle so the bike will lean out on the mix for most of your riding. Maybe Todd or someone with experience can share what they know. I'll be giving it a go when I get the time to see if there are any gains or problems.

Guzzi 1200 Sport, Yamaha MT09, Husqvarna TR650

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #297 on: November 23, 2014, 11:07:04 AM »
Related topic. The type of ecu's we will be dealing with in the future.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/exclusive-bosch-to-release-new-ecu-with-smartphone-connectivity/25726.html

I can say from experience with the Super Tenere (ABS and TC offroad by Bosch) and now the 1190adv (ABS and TC offroad plus the MSC) this stuff works!  BOSCH has it going on right now for sure!
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #298 on: November 23, 2014, 12:08:55 PM »
What about for the MIU G3?  I managed to eventually get the correct cables and got Guzzidiag (Mac, V0.44) to connect to the ECU of my V7 Stone.  Is there yet software to download and upload maps for this ECU?

No we are not that far, what is missing is someone who records the things that happen when updating a map with PADS.
Paul

beetle

« Reply #299 on: November 24, 2014, 12:28:40 AM »
Mal, that's a good approach. I've postulated on the Ghetto that one of reasons the PC may cause overfuelling is that if the main ECU map is set too rich the Autotune won't be able to reach the target AFR. It's one way to get a a good result where you don't have a custom map for a specific exhaust.

I'm trying to help a guy with a Griso with a very open pipe and this is the approach we've taken.

Nice thinking outside the box!

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here