Author Topic: The New Improved GuzziDiag Tutorial  (Read 139430 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: The New Improved GuzziDiag Tutorial
« Reply #330 on: October 30, 2020, 01:48:32 PM »
The only thing I found wrong with Guzzidiag, is that it does not allow for that fact that I have waited ‘till the age of 62 to begin with computers.
A barely literate 10 year old child, can work their way through the logic of GD statements and processes better than me. I also bristled at the shorthand fault descriptions, but again had to confront the fact that it was/is my deficiency, not GD’s.
In my case Gonzo was the interface between me and Guzzidiag and he explained in English what the computer was saying in 1’s and 0’s. The guys who have not allowed the horse to bolt and disappear over the hill towards oblivion, have no dramas interpreting the system. Beetle and Beard never seem to struggle.. :bow: :thumb:

Bert Remington

« Reply #331 on: October 30, 2020, 01:59:25 PM »
GuzziDiag is an excellent software product and we MG owners are lucky to have it available.  Yes it does have its user interface quirks like its author's (beard?) preference for Red backgrounds.  But we all have our favorite colors and beside my Stone is Rosso Rovente.

One of the excellent features is multiple languages.  This constrains user interface choices requiring certain simplifications that can mimic lack of sophistication.  Another constraint is the author is Windows-knowledgeable but much less so for Apple products.

There are two weaknesses.  One is the lack of formal user documentation so you have to search this and other forums for information.  But it is available.  The other is lack of robust error reporting and recovery in the Connection procedure.  If you do everything correctly on the motorcycle, diagnostic interface, and computer software, it will connect every time.  If you don't it can be a mystery and, for me at least, a reboot is often required.

There is a major strength -- the author welcomes, accepts and acknowledges help from users as can be seen from the changelog.  If you want to see your name in the changelog, there are opportunities for you.

One is the OBD diagnostic (P) code descriptions.  The descriptions are easily found on the WWW.  And they are accurate if terse.  For instance I had P0130 and P0150.  Both the WWW description and MG service manual pointed to the O2 sensor wiring, not the O2 sensor.  The P1607 code was more subtle although both the WWW and MG said the same thing: failed ECU.  And then there are the OEM-specific P codes.  So providing the author with P code descriptions more to your liking and more closely matching MG's descriptions is your opportunity.  I don't know if GuzziDiag has one set of P code descriptions common to all ECU models or if there is a specific set of descriptions for each ECU model.  Ask first.

After successfully connecting, my first action is to save a report.  If there are any P codes (at the bottom of the report), there is some unpleasant language then I copy the report onto a USB flash drive and take it into the house with my comfortable chair, good lighting, service manual, and Internet-connected computer (my GuzziDiag computer is an old Toshiba I bought from a member specifically configured for GD -- it would be malware-bait dead-meat on the Internet).  Many Guzzi riders are more environmentally hardened than me and work in their garage (which I don't have). :laugh:

If you can change the oil on your MG and you can view Device Manager on your Window computer, then you can run GuzziDiag. And if you can't, just like getting help changing oil you can get help running GD.

And one change I suggest for the GuzziDiag webpage is put a Donate button on it because I can't donate from my offline GD computer.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #332 on: October 30, 2020, 02:08:21 PM »
Well said Bertie..!

Bert Remington

« Reply #333 on: October 30, 2020, 02:41:15 PM »
KR -- I think we're going to end up PMing resolution but I've had all your P codes:

P0366 -- CPS wiring
P0130 -- O2 wiring
P0150 -- the other O2 wiring
P1607 -- ECU has the flutters

They have a common cause: electrical noise getting into the unterminated CANbus.

Before you clear the codes, do this https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=107174.msg1697990#msg1697990

After clearing the codes, run the motorcycle for a minute or two then check again.  If they didn't come back, take a short ride of a mile or two, then check again.  If they didn't come back, they will sometime. :laugh:

There are two potentially unterminated CANbus connectors in the V7 III series.

One is the tachometer connector under the gas tank which is not used by we downmarket Stone, etc speedometer-only models.  But you have a Special so it's probably CANbus correct.

The other is the 8-pin (5 populated) MGMP Bluedash connector to the rear of the battery.  Its two CANbus pins are not terminated by the 120ohm resistor required by ISO 11898-2.  If you move the connector (like I did) and put non-MG wiring nearby (like I did) and add noise generators such as fan-cooled LED headlights and PWM-controlled heated grips (like I did) then you're going to get weird random signals on the CANbus fussing the ECU and Dashboard.

You already know the noise reduction techniques: wiring arrangement, ferrite chokes, and even a CANbus termination resistor.  I did the resistor but was sloppy.  Fortunately the other techniques worked.  If they don't work for you, PM me and we'll chase them P code away. :smiley:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #333 on: October 30, 2020, 02:41:15 PM »

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #334 on: October 30, 2020, 04:29:09 PM »
Hi Bert,

There is one set of codes for all bikes. But Piaggio in their wisdom not always uses the same errorcode for the same thing. And also doesn't keep the standard codes you find from automotive ecu's. Next to that you can get codes that are not in the Guzzi workshopmanuals. The errorcodes set from the RSV4 is much bigger and covers a part that are not in the Guzzi manuals.  I put them here:
https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?350345-RSV4-TuonoV4-error-codes-listing
As you can see even for RSV4 they have euro 3 errors and euro 4 errors, on the same errornumber they have something different.
You can add as much errorcodes to your own guzzidiag as you like by editing the guzzidiag.ini.

It's not that there is no Apple love, we just don't have a recent OSX machine around. And Apple changes things under the hood with updates that kills a working solution. And most Apple users have no clue how it works and that makes it hard to solve problems.

Connecting Problems:
Don't buy the cheapest adapters you can find on alixpress/amazon  of other websites. they can work, but also can be a time consuming hell. 
Just buy the adapters from Lonelec in the UK, they ship fast to the USA too, and worked with me to make a v85 adapter.
Windows 8,8.1 and 10 have a long time automatically installed the right drivers for the KKL adapter, I found that the last version Windows 10 doesn't. In device manager you can let windows use windows update to get the right driver installed.

Guzzidiag has been timeconsuming to develop and maintain. I think more than one manyear development is put in it. Since we all have a daytime job and family, not everything is finished.  But what it there works.

Paul

Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #335 on: October 30, 2020, 10:00:43 PM »

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?350345-RSV4-TuonoV4-error-codes-listing

Hi Paul,
            That seems to be a very comprehensive listing of the error codes, is that included in the latest version of Guzzidiag?

As an alternative can you make the listing available in a common format like Excel or another file format like csv that can be massaged into a usable table.
Can you explain the difference between a Code E4 and a Code E3

I tried to print the listing but all I got was 3 1/2 columns complete with headers and borders its the raw file I need then I can suck it into excel for a compact printout to excel file
that i can open on the laptop.
I don't have internet access in the garage, its too far from my wifi router.

Thanks

Roy Matson
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:34:17 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Bert Remington

« Reply #336 on: October 30, 2020, 11:54:56 PM »
I looked at Paul's Aprilla code table and thought about KR's "how about a Word document" question.  We had our Black cat

locked inside for Halloween and I had to keep him company.  So I grabbed the service manual and documented those DTCs in the attached document (created from Word).

What does this mean for GuzziDiag?  Not much because the DTCs in the .ini file are for all ECU types and there is no mechanism to select for the V7 III-only DTCs.  And some specific V7 III DTC descriptions conflict with other ECU's DTC descriptions.  And my Word document is English-only so it isn't fair to ask for it to be included in the multi-lingual GuzziDiag distribution.  I'm not sure where to go from here.

Paul -- writing software to interface with a "standard" Windows USB-serial interface is difficult and time-consuming.  What makes it a ball-buster is adding the various asynchronous/multi-tasking error detection and timeouts as the connection progresses through the various states and protocol levels.  And then there's the rollback of the connection state to where the error occurred.  I was trying to acknowledge this rather than criticize your work.  Apologies.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #337 on: October 31, 2020, 08:09:48 AM »
I have to ask
Pi607 & P1800 Did it actually say "Piaggio Magic Error" in the book?
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Bert Remington

« Reply #338 on: October 31, 2020, 10:32:11 AM »
Last night I went out on the back porch to enjoy a beer with my cat.  A mother and two young boys walked by.  I said Good Evening and one of the boys said What? I looked at him and he looked at me -- we understood each other.  His mother said Say Good Evening Back.  The boy said Good Evening Back.  I laughed.  KR -- as a nice Canadian you would have said Good Evening a second time.

Saved data file (for safety) P1607 - filled
Error cause
* This indication appears only if the Level 2 safety has reset the engine (C gravity). The instrument panel does not indicate the presence of this error even in the ATT status.
Troubleshooting
* Replace the engine control unit

P1800 is a bit more informative albeit just as useless because it's a EEPROM-to-RAM transcription error so the ABS uses a default wheel radius.

The service manual also lists the following ABS-related codes but I don't think GuzziDiag reports them: 5D90 5D91 5D92 5D93 5D94 5D95 5DA0 5DA1 5DA2 5DA3 5DA4 5DA5 D347 5E11 5E16 5E1F.

Before digging into the service manual it's helpful to reread a few pages of Alice in Wonderland first. :laugh:

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #339 on: October 31, 2020, 05:55:31 PM »
E3 and E4 : is euro 3 bikes or euro 4 bikes. With the RSV4/ Tuono V4, difference is easy: the TFT dashboard ones are Euro 4.
With the older Ecu from Marelli it was simple, the bikes who had the same ecu type had the same error codes. That was the case with P7, P8, 16M, 15m and 15RC, as long as there was Guzzi software on it. Most of the times the Ducati's with those ecu will have same errorcodes. I think most of it counts for the 5AM. Then there is the MIU G3 and 7SM.  Where the MIU is developed as a scooter unit with one cil. The software it has looks a bit like the 5AM with extra's. The 7SM is complete other development with ride by wire.  Extremely more complicated. With the 7SM is where Guzzi used codes for the V85 and C 1400 not always the same. Or the explaining text looks like it, but do they mean the same thing.

I have a pdf with the Aprilia codes. But even if you have no internet in the shed, how often do you get these errors, and isn't it time to drink a coffee with your wife, while looking up the errorcode?

ABS errors come from the ABS unit, and need a newer version Guzzidiag that does not exist yet. Guzzi has used 3 different types ABS unit from Continental and Bosch.
With my PADS tester I can read the ABS units too.

Paul

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #340 on: October 31, 2020, 08:33:40 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Paul.
I get an error probably once a week, even when the bike was new, usually the light goes out after a few starts.
Yesterday was the first time in 3 months they wouldn't clear by themselves.
When I hook the laptop on its usually a matter of clearing the error, its not like the explanation would allow me to fix anything.
Sorry about my whining.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 09:00:32 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #341 on: November 01, 2020, 05:34:48 AM »
Thanks for the explanation Paul.
I get an error probably once a week, even when the bike was new, usually the light goes out after a few starts.
Yesterday was the first time in 3 months they wouldn't clear by themselves.
When I hook the laptop on its usually a matter of clearing the error, its not like the explanation would allow me to fix anything.
Sorry about my whining.

But which error do you get, on what bike?
Paul

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #342 on: November 03, 2020, 09:41:17 AM »
Is https://www.von-der-salierburg.de down?  I was going to download GuzziDiag and I just get a timeout.
jrt
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline PandaPopulation

• New Egg
« Reply #343 on: December 20, 2020, 09:45:30 AM »
Apologies if I missed this somewhere in the thread-

Are there any risks associated with writing to a MIUG3 ECU with a virtual machine? 

The tutorial clearly states that the 7SM writer will brick the ECU if ran through a virtual machine.. but what about the MIUG3 writer for my v7ii Stone?

Offline Paultergeist

• New Egg
« Reply #344 on: January 22, 2021, 11:50:34 PM »
After reading through much of this thread, I really find myself missing the days of carburetors, cable-actuated throttles, and manual chokes.  I hope my bike is happy enough with stock fueling, etc., as there is no way I am going to try to scale this steep of a learning curve.

My hat is off to those of you who can actually make this stuff work.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #345 on: January 23, 2021, 05:04:15 PM »
After reading through much of this thread, I really find myself missing the days of carburetors, cable-actuated throttles, and manual chokes.  I hope my bike is happy enough with stock fueling, etc., as there is no way I am going to try to scale this steep of a learning curve.

My hat is off to those of you who can actually make this stuff work.
Paul, I’m exactly where your are at. That said, there is help for guys like us. If you have Children or grandchildren then you can accomplish the computer part. They would be very familiar with how to download the program and the rest is simply hooking the hardware to your bikes computer. Several of the guys here can walk you through that process, as they did me. Help is available, just ask👍
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 05:05:21 PM by Ncdan »

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #346 on: January 23, 2021, 05:23:51 PM »
Paul, I’m exactly where your are at. That said, there is help for guys like us. If you have Children or grandchildren then you can accomplish the computer part. They would be very familiar with how to download the program and the rest is simply hooking the hardware to your bikes computer. Several of the guys here can walk you through that process, as they did me. Help is available, just ask👍

I'm 62 and have been working on engines of all types, racing and road for 50 years and the last thing I would ever want to do is go back to carburettors. Horrible fiddly wearing things.

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #347 on: January 23, 2021, 05:33:22 PM »
I have started to gain some solidity in my knowledge base regarding Guzzidiag.
Without any exaggeration I can say that if Beard and Beetle are 100 and Joe Bloggs is zero, I am about 15.
That is an honest appraisal, but here is my next question..
When doing a TGPS reset on my V85, I note that Beetle says to perform the handle self learning and then the throttle self learning in two steps, one immediately following the other, but I find that I have to do the handle procedure first, then get out of Guzzidiag and go back in again to do throttle self learning.
Should I be able to do them both with no exiting the program in between ?
Also.
What in beginners language, what does “reset auto learning parameters” enable the system to accomplish ?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 06:15:58 AM by Huzo »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #348 on: January 23, 2021, 05:48:53 PM »
I have started gain some solidity in my knowledge base regarding Guzzidiag.
Without any exaggeration I can say that if Beard and Beetle are 100 and Joe Bloggs is zero, I am about 15.
That is an honest appraisal, but here is my next question..
When doing a TGPS reset on my V85, I note that Beetle says to perform the handle self learning and then the throttle self learning in two steps, one immediately following the other, but I find that I have to do the handle procedure first, then get out of Guzzidiag and go back in again to do throttle self learning.
Should I be able to do them both with no exiting the program in between ?
Also.
What in beginners language, what does “reset auto learning parameters” enable the system to accomplish ?
Good question as I’ve wondered the same thing.

Bert Remington

« Reply #349 on: January 23, 2021, 08:11:23 PM »
One of the problems with GD is it's a labor of love and much effort by Bernard and Beetle with minimal remuneration.  A second problem is B&B are nice people expecting common sense from their beneficiaries (that's us) and provide hints rather than directions.  A third problem is many beneficiaries don't have the service manual and wiring diagram for their MGs.  When you have to ask "Where's the location of my diagnostic connector?" or "How many pins does it have?" you really ain't ready for GD.

But there is a way ahead.

Step up and produce GD end-user documentation yourselves.

I suggest chapters based on ECU model (eg, MIU G3) and sub-chapters based on MG year and model (eg, 2017-2019 V7 III).

And don't provide hints but rather explicit directions.

Like my: "If you don't buy the Lonelec adapter and use Windows with a USB port you're a fool and will fail."  And "Follow my step-by-step instruction to successfully connect or you will fail."

I see too many people saying I want to use my Apple thingy with a VM thingy and a eBay adapter because ... whatever.

The minimum alternative to GD starts around $400.  You can buy a Windows XP laptop with a Lonelec adapter for $200 delivered (yeah that's what I did).  So step up and take advantage of the great product that GD is.  And contribute to the end-user documentation.  And to Bernard of course.

I'm too old and grumpy to be a leader for the end-user documentation but I promise to be an enthusiastic contributor.

Stepping off the podium...

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #350 on: January 23, 2021, 08:29:40 PM »
Bert.
I’ll readily admit in any company that my knowledge base regarding this stuff is infantile. I tip my hat to the guys who can use this stuff as cleanly as I can a lathe, 2 axis control column, spinning side kick or whatever else I may have picked up along the way.
But here’s the thing.
I can and do bristle when someone trying to pick themselves up off the floor is labelled as being “a fool” or having “no common sense”. I freely admit that when I jump into Beard’s or Beetle’s pool, I am a flailing life form doomed to failure, but I am hoping to try and gain a workmanlike level of aptitude.
Now.
By the above definition I am a fool with no commonsense, but I’ll wager that I could take any or either of the aforesaid luminaries into one of the fields mentioned at the top of this rant and make them wet their pants..(or worse).
Also the great A Einstein was once quoted as saying..”If you can’t explain something simply, you don’t have a good enough level of understanding yourself..”
The thing I hate is not being called a fool, because that just opens up a “suite of tools” that I can use to begin to prove otherwise.
No.
What I hate is when gentle hearted souls are crushed to the point that they dare not raise their eyes to ask for secondary clarification on a “simple” concept, or the one/s that do, are marginalised and labelled trolls or snarky antipodean smart asses...(the last one is a little more correct than the foregoing..).. :popcorn:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 01:48:05 AM by Huzo »

Bert Remington

« Reply #351 on: January 23, 2021, 08:59:05 PM »
Huzo -- by any measure you have demonstrated many times on this forum you are not a fool.

WRT GD and maybe Windows computers and certainly K-line diagnostic interfaces, yeah you are ignorant.  We all start that way.  For one reason or another (nature, nurture) our ignorance changes.

My ignorance of powered, precision machine tools is massive and I admire without reservation as artists those who can use them gracefully and, to my eyes, magically.  As you have with your V85.

I too started ignorant of GD.  But I reached beyond.  I studied Bernard.  I studied Beetle.  I went to all their websites I could find.  I read this topic (and others) end-to-end looking for hints and successes.  I read the MG service manual.  I studied the MG wiring diagram.  I investigated what a K-line diagnostic was and what the messages meant.

I worked hard for my GD knowledge.  It ain't great but I've tried to share it on this forum.

It is unfair to burden B&B with end-user handholding for their generously shared knowledge.

We as the GD end-users need to step up and organize our community's knowledge.  And that was my point.

For instance, I can't tell you about GD's diagnostics and actions for your V85 but I can tell you what you need to do to successfully connect.  And probably another forum member can tell you when, why and how for a TPS reset.  So let's share that knowledge in a more organized form.

So let's head in that direction.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #352 on: January 23, 2021, 10:53:02 PM »
Jeez, that’s a well conceived and structured piece of text.
I do take on board your suggestion that guys at my level probably should not ask B&B to have to slow down and hold my hand.
I unreservedly take that on board without any alteration.
I think if I was at their level, I would be a little more tactful to the swamp dwellers, but then if I were them I wouldn’t be me, so how can I say ?
Thanks for your response though Bert, there is a little more light on the topic than I perceived before.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #353 on: January 24, 2021, 02:44:49 PM »
I've used GD since 2016 with few problems on Windows 7 & 10 machines. I've also fiddled a bit with a couple Apple computers with no luck. Apple makes no sense to me.

I have also found that for whatever reason one of my laptops does not connect through it's USB port despite all manner of fiddling with drivers, and settings.

Once you get a computer to work properly, set the correct model/ECU and port settings in the file/preferences, it is a straight forward affair. It can be a challenge to get there depending on the machine. My 'preferred' laptop to use and bring with me is a small 9" Lenovo, but so far, I can not get to work (havent tried in 6 months or so), So I use my main and more expensive laptop that works very well, as did my last one.  I have a separate folder for each bike with a copy of the GD software in that folder. This makes opening and using GD quick and easy, and keeps all the files organized for that bike. I also have it all in the cloud, so I can access it anywhere there is an internet connection if I happen to need it and don't have access to my PC.  I really would like to get the smaller more portable unit to work.

Huzo, I had problems with resetting the handle and parameters on my MGX-21 which has the same ECU as the V85 (7SM?) I followed Beetle's  suggestion of doing both resets concurrently as I would on the Griso/Norge and Stornello, but ended up with the red triangle of death, and had to shut everything off, then back on, clear the error codes, and ended up doing them one at a time. Tried it 2-3X with the same result. So I would do each separately, with a shut down of the software and ignition key each time. Why? Who knows.... I try to focus on what works, not what is perfect.

My understanding of the 'learning parameters' is the limited adjustment the ECU makes and learns to adjust the fuel trims and tune based on riding style, fuel, elevation, etc. I could be wrong. I always reset it after a valve adjustment and tune up, though is not necessary. I believe that disconnecting the battery will accomplish the same.

It is a great tool, and I am happy to have access to it.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 02:58:35 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #354 on: January 25, 2021, 05:04:43 PM »
Thank you for your great response Bulldog.
Even though I may not get a definitive answer to an enquiry, having someone else of greater knowledge saying they had the same issue, is almost as comforting.
When doing the TGPS reset on the 7SM, I have no trouble with either the handle or throttle self learning, but I do have to go out and come back in between the two.
Resetting auto self learning parameters has not always been a slam dunk for me, but I will go out now and have another look.
Another thing..
I have Guzzidiag 0.5a and have used it for basic diagnostics such as TGPS resets and fault reading...(none are present or stored.. :thumb:)
I hear that it is a good idea to “store your map”. Is this within the capability of me and Guzzidiag ? I have not loaded Guzzi Writer and am unlikely to do so because I almost know enough to get myself into trouble, fortunately not quite though..
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 05:29:07 PM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #355 on: January 25, 2021, 05:34:26 PM »
Just a dumb one..
When doing TGPS, Throttle and Reset auto learning parameters.. Does the “Start” prompt on the right mean..

Start the engine or click on the prompt ?
Typical double talking computer speak..
“Start engine” or “Click here”, might be less ambiguous ?
Of course this is part of the reason people like Beard get their lederhosens in a bunch, because people like me can’t wipe their own arses without asking what the term “toilet paper” means... :rolleyes:
Bert Remington’s point was well made.
If you can’t walk, don’t buy a pair of joggers...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 05:38:00 PM by Huzo »

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #356 on: January 26, 2021, 11:56:56 PM »
Thank you for your great response Bulldog.
Even though I may not get a definitive answer to an enquiry, having someone else of greater knowledge saying they had the same issue, is almost as comforting.
When doing the TGPS reset on the 7SM, I have no trouble with either the handle or throttle self learning, but I do have to go out and come back in between the two.
Resetting auto self learning parameters has not always been a slam dunk for me, but I will go out now and have another look.
Another thing..
I have Guzzidiag 0.5a and have used it for basic diagnostics such as TGPS resets and fault reading...(none are present or stored.. :thumb:)
I hear that it is a good idea to “store your map”. Is this within the capability of me and Guzzidiag ? I have not loaded Guzzi Writer and am unlikely to do so because I almost know enough to get myself into trouble, fortunately not quite though..

I don't think I have greater knowledge, just more dumb luck ;-) I have no worries or concerns with using GD on my bikes. I only had the MGX with the newer ECU, but was nervous about bricking it. Though from what I understand that is rare unless you aren't running windows or if you interrupt the read or write programs.  I've done all manner of dumbness to mine with no ill effects.

I am using V.047  It works good enough, but I don't have the newer ECU.

Before I do anything, I use the reader program to backup the stock map. It will prompt you to name the file and will generally save it to the folder you are running Guzzi Diag. GD also saves a TXT log file of what you do. The writer program is for re-flashing the stock map and to load new maps.

The reader and writer programs are very simple to use, I wouldn't be concerned about it. Most important is to ensure the battery is fully fully charged and healthy before you start, or is connected to a trickle charger while reading or writing, connections are solid, and let the process finish.

The start prompt is generally to Start the process not the engine. The prompts generally deal with ignition on and off, not starting the engine. I dont think there is a prompt to do that. If there is, I haven't seen it. For the 5AM and MIUG3 ECU's you can start the bike while connected to Guzzi Diag for active monitoring, and there are 'running options' in the actor menu.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #357 on: January 27, 2021, 12:31:48 AM »
I don't think I have greater knowledge, just more dumb luck ;-) I have no worries or concerns with using GD on my bikes. I only had the MGX with the newer ECU, but was nervous about bricking it. Though from what I understand that is rare unless you aren't running windows or if you interrupt the read or write programs.  I've done all manner of dumbness to mine with no ill effects.

I am using V.047  It works good enough, but I don't have the newer ECU.

Before I do anything, I use the reader program to backup the stock map. It will prompt you to name the file and will generally save it to the folder you are running Guzzi Diag. GD also saves a TXT log file of what you do. The writer program is for re-flashing the stock map and to load new maps.

The reader and writer programs are very simple to use, I wouldn't be concerned about it. Most important is to ensure the battery is fully fully charged and healthy before you start, or is connected to a trickle charger while reading or writing, connections are solid, and let the process finish.

The start prompt is generally to Start the process not the engine. The prompts generally deal with ignition on and off, not starting the engine. I dont think there is a prompt to do that. If there is, I haven't seen it. For the 5AM and MIUG3 ECU's you can start the bike while connected to Guzzi Diag for active monitoring, and there are 'running options' in the actor menu.
Ok mate.
The bit about being simple is the only thing I have issue with. Remember, I do not even know what a TXT log file is.
When you tell people you’re clueless, they think they’re doing you a favour by saying that you’re not..
I ******* WELL AM...!
But I am happy to toddle along and gently enhance my “skills...”
There usually is not one line of text that I read, that does not have an ambiguity, jargon, abbreviation or such.
I am so bad, that when I saw Beetle use the term “Windoze”, I didn’t know if he was serious or mockingly referring to the slowness and Stone Age way it operates.
Now.
Are you telling me that if I was good enough with GD, that I could dive into my map and work on curing the perceived lean condition that it currently runs ?
There is no way on Earth that I will be good enough to do that in my lifetime.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 06:00:39 AM by Huzo »

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #358 on: January 27, 2021, 01:19:17 PM »
Ok mate.
The bit about being simple is the only thing I have issue with. Remember, I do not even know what a TXT log file is.
When you tell people you’re clueless, they think they’re doing you a favour by saying that you’re not..
I ******* WELL AM...!
But I am happy to toddle along and gently enhance my “skills...”
There usually is not one line of text that I read, that does not have an ambiguity, jargon, abbreviation or such.
I am so bad, that when I saw Beetle use the term “Windoze”, I didn’t know if he was serious or mockingly referring to the slowness and Stone Age way it operates.
Now.
Are you telling me that if I was good enough with GD, that I could dive into my map and work on curing the perceived lean condition that it currently runs ?
There is no way on Earth that I will be good enough to do that in my lifetime.

LOL, I get it.....

FWIW, the file that GD generates with a .TXT file name ending is literally a "LOG" or a generated note that details what you did.  It is meaningless other than wanting to see what it recorded. 

The actual MAPS end in a .BIN file. That is what you would WRITE to your ECU, and when you READ the file and save on your computer, it will end in a .BIN.  So if you were to connect and save/backup your map with the READER you would name it in the dialog box as Huzo1 or whatever, and it would be saved as Huzo1.BIN.   

Guzzi Diag does not modify maps or such, that is what Tuner Pro does. Totally different animal, and while fun to look at and explore, is not something I would play around with and then write to your ECU, but it is interesting.

You CAN adjust fuel trims with Guzzi Diag, but not much more other than active monitoring of the bike, ability to test various components, learning parameters, etc, and read/reset error codes.
MGNOC#23231

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #359 on: January 27, 2021, 01:23:26 PM »
LOL, I get it.....

FWIW, the file that GD generates with a .TXT file name ending is literally a "LOG" or a generated note that details what you did.  It is meaningless other than wanting to see what it recorded. 

The actual MAPS end in a .BIN file. That is what you would WRITE to your ECU, and when you READ the file and save on your computer, it will end in a .BIN.  So if you were to connect and save/backup your map with the READER you would name it in the dialog box as Huzo1 or whatever, and it would be saved as Huzo1.BIN.   

Guzzi Diag does not modify maps or such, that is what Tuner Pro does. Totally different animal, and while fun to look at and explore, is not something I would play around with and then write to your ECU, but it is interesting.

You CAN adjust fuel trims with Guzzi Diag, but not much more other than active monitoring of the bike, ability to test various components, learning parameters, etc, and read/reset error codes.
Thank you Bulldog..
I need to spend a night with you and Gonzo... :kiss:

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here