Author Topic: The New Improved GuzziDiag Tutorial  (Read 137476 times)

beetle

The New Improved GuzziDiag Tutorial
« on: July 08, 2018, 04:37:46 PM »
This is a basic howto for the GuzziDiag suite of tools. This howto will show you how to connect, read (backup) your existing map, write (flash) a new map and perform a TPS reset. This uses the Windows versions, but Mac & Linux versions function the same.

Original thread here: LINKY

All types of ECU use the same version of GuzziDiag

I have made a PDF versions of this tutorial. Download Links:

For bikes with the 7SM/5AM/15RC/15M ECU LINKY

For bikes with the MIUG3 ECU LINKY

Click on the link for your operating system:

Windows

Linux 32 bit

Linux 64 bit

Mac

For the 5AM ECU, you will need the following Reader/Writer software from the GuzziDiag page:

Windoze:

IAW5xReader

IAW5xWriter

Linux 32 bit:

IAW5xReader

IAW5xWriter

Linux 64 bit:

IAW5xReader

IAW5xWriter

For Mac:

IAW5xReader

IAW5xWriter

For the 15M/15P/15RC ECU you will need these:

Windoze:

IAW15xReader

IAW15xWriter

Linux32 bit:

IAW15xReader

IAW15xWriter

Linux 64 bit:

IAW15xReader

IAW15xWriter

Mac:

IAW15xReader

IAW15xWriter

For the MIU G3...

Windoze:

IAWMIUG3Reader

IAWMIUG3Writer

Linux 32 bit:

IAWMIUG3Reader

IAWMIUG3Writer

Linux 64 bit:

IAWMIUG3Reader

IAWMIUG3Writer

Mac:

IAWMIUG3Reader

IAWMIUG3Writer

For the  7SM  ECU

Windows:

7SM Reader

7SM Writer

WARNING! Do not run the 7SM Writer in a virtual machine under MacOS or Linux. You are guaranteed to brick your ECU!

Each is a standalone program that works independently of each other and does not require any extra software.

You will also need the two cables. They are available from various resellers on the net.

EDIT: Lonelec is the best source on the net. They sell a kit that inlcudes both cables and is guaranteed to work

Get it here: CLICKY

!!!!  Do not use the drivers that come with the cables. Download the drivers from here:

Windows

MacOS 10.3 - 10.8

MacOS 10.9 & above

Linux does not require drivers. Please ensure you are part of the DIALOUT group, or run the programs as the superuser.

1. The OBD2 KKL 16 pin to USB cable with the FTDI chip. This cable requires drivers for Windows & MacOS.

2. The Fiat 3 Pin to 16 pin Adapter

To connect to the bike, connect the two 16 pin connectors on the cables together and the 3 pin cable to the diagnostic port. For example on the GRiSO, it's located under the seat near the back right.

Attach the clips from the 3 pin cable to the battery and plug the USB cable into a USB port on your computer.

A LED on the OBD2 cable will indicate power is connected.

Please note, when any of the GuzziDiag programs are open (GuzziDiag, Reader or Writer), it will grab the COM port. You can only have one program open at any one time.

Right, next we will do some stuff....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 04:27:30 PM by beetle »

beetle

Re: The New Improved GuzziDiag Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 04:39:50 PM »
To read and backup your existing map, open the Reader for you ECU. Your computer may have multiple COM ports, so select the correct one from the drop-down box. it is usually the last one or highest number. if it doesn't connect at first, keep trying different ports. In my example, I only have one, COM4.

Then, click on 'read'

A dialog box will open, and here you can select the folder where you want to save the .bin file. You can name it anything you like.

Click 'save'. You will then get:

Turn your keyswitch to 'on'. Do not start the engine. Reader will start downloading. It will take about 15 minutes to backup the map for CARC bikes & V7/V9, and about 30 minutes for the 7SM.

When it has finished, it will ask you to switch off your keyswitch. Obey.

Done!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 05:10:22 PM by beetle »

beetle

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 04:40:50 PM »
To write or flash a new map, start the Writer program. You can select your COM port here as well.

WARNING! Do not run the 7SM Writer in a virtual machine under MacOS or Linux. You are guaranteed to brick your ECU!

Click on the button with the 3 dots, and you will get a dialog box where you can browse to and select the .bin file you wish to flash by clicking 'Load'. The Writer will only see maps for the particular ECU you have. If you can't see any map .bin files, you may have selected the wrong Writer program.

Then, click 'Write'    Note: In the bottom right-hand corner is the checksum of the bin file. If I send you a map, it will have the checksum as part of the file name. If it is different, do not flash it.

Same as before, it will ask you to switch your keyswitch on.

It will start the upload. Note the message in the bottom left corner 'uploading'. For 15x it will take about 1 minute. For 5AM, 3 minutes. For MIUG3, 5 minutes. For 7SM, 15 minutes. It will then change to 'programming' as it writes the file to the ECU.

It will then show a message that it was succesful.

Click 'OK' and switch off your keyswitch.

Here's a little video of a map upload:  https://youtu.be/ZAi1N3ZFhHA

For the Cali 1400, you may find the Traction Control has mysteriously deactivated after flashing a new map. Not to worry, simply switch it back on!

Done!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 03:31:27 PM by beetle »

beetle

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 04:42:20 PM »
For 5AM & 15RC bikes (except California 1100 & Bellagio - see "Thoughts on TPS reset" below), you will then need to reset your TPS. If you have 15M ECU, you set the TPS manually. But you already new that, right? For the MIUG3 you will perform Throttle Self-Learning. For the 7SM, it's a two step process. First, you must perform 'Handle self-learning', and then 'Throttle self-Learning' immediately afterward. See those steps below.

TPS reset.

Open the GuzziDiag program.

Click 'File' -> 'Preferences' to configure the software. It only needs to be done once.

The GuzziDiag settings dialog box opens. Here you can select language, COM port and bike type. Click the X to close, when done.

Next we want to connect to the ECU, so click 'File' -> 'Connect'

It will ask you to switch on your keyswitch and click 'OK'

You'll notice there are 8 drop down boxes to select various readouts. Select whatever you wish.

You can see here after uploading the map, my TPS (Throttle) is slightly out. It should read about 4.7

Let's reset it! Click on 'View' -> 'Actors'

You will see the Actors menu:

Next, click on one of the drop-down selection boxes under 'Engine Off'

Select TPS Reset

Click 'Start'

You'll get the TPS Reset OK dialog. Click 'OK'.

To Relearn the throttle. MIUG & 7SM only. For 7SM, you must perform 'Handle self-Learning' first. The procedure is exactly the same, except you must choose 'Handle self-learning' from the menu. Don't forget, for the 7SM, you must do 'Handle self-learning', then 'Throttle self-learning'.

Open the Actors menu.

From one of the drop-down menus, select 'Throttle self-Learning'

Then click 'Start'.

Then click 'OK.

Reset the Autolearning parameters (ECU fuel trims) - All bikes.

From the Actors menu, on one of the drop-down box, select 'Reset autolearning parameters', then click 'Start'.

Done!

If you want to see some data change, you can start your engine and check out the readouts. Here I simply twisted the throttle (engine was not running).

Once you're done, click 'File' -> 'Disconnect' and you will be prompted to switch off the keyswitch. Switch off the key and click OK.

Done!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 03:20:19 PM by beetle »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 04:42:20 PM »

beetle

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 04:43:12 PM »
CO Trim - 5AM & 15RC/15M only. The MIUG3 & 7SM do not have this feature.

If you load a new map or do something simple to your stock map like switch of the lambda sensor, you may find you need to adjust the CO trim for a smoother idle or less smelly idle (too much fuel). You should only do this after a test ride or if you have a rough idle. For example, the 8V idles at 1200 +/- 50, 2V 1100 at 1100 +/- 100. If your idle is low, or very lumpy, you may need to go positive. If your idle is high, you may need to go positive or negative. If you smell unburnt fuel, you should go negative.

To do this with GuzzDiag, get your engine up to temperature (which is 60 deg celsius). Go for a short ride or let it idle with GuzziDiag connected so you can monitor the engine temp.

Once up to 60C, hit the kill switch. Click on 'View' -> 'CO Trim'

You will get the following dialog box. Click 'OK'

You will then be presented with the CO trim menu. Click 'Start'

You will get a dialog box that asks you to start your engine. Click 'Ok' and start 'er up.

With the engine running, click the plus '+' or 'minus '-' button to adjust the CO trim. You can go up to +128 or down to -128.

What value you use will depend on what type of map you have installed and what you are trying to achieve. If you have one of my maps built specifically for the exhaust you have, you should only need to go +/- a small amount. If you smell unburnt fuel, try going to -5. Wait 15-20 seconds. Click 'Finish'. Let it idle for a few seconds. Better or worse? Go up or down as needed. With each change, make sure you wait ~20 seconds between adjustments, and be sure to click 'Finish'. If you have a rough or lumpy idle, try going positive first. Say, +3 or +5. Better or worse? Go up or down as needed. If you have to go more than 10 in either direction, you have the wrong map, you have a mechanical issue you should address, or may have forgotten to reset the TPS or relearn the throttle.

When you click 'Start' to make another adjustment, GuzziDiag will ask you start your engine again, but as it is already running, simply click 'OK' and go. Repeat as necessary until idle is smooth and at your required idle RPM. Always make sure you hit the 'Finish' button when you've made a change. Once done, hit the kill switch.

Try not to let the engine get too hot. You can't hurt anything by adjusting the CO trim, so if you feel you haven't quite got it right, let the engine cool off and start again. Of course, you can use a fan to assist with cooling.

Done!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 03:10:33 PM by beetle »

beetle

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 04:44:07 PM »
Some thoughts on the TPS reset & Throttle self-learning.

I have done a bloody lot of TPS resets. When I'm in the thick of map testing, I might do a several TPS resets a day. Early on in my days of map development, I would sometimes not do a TPS reset if GuzziDiag showed the same value as the previous map. That turned out to be not a good idea. I would sometimes get inconsistent or unexpected results, and I found that if I checked it after going for a ride, it would read differently by 0.1 or 0.2 degrees.

So I would do a reset every time I flashed the map. This produced better results, but occasionaly I would still get an odd or unexpected result. Each time, the TPS Would read differently by 0.1 or 0.2 degrees.

You might think this is hardly worth worrying about. 0.2 degrees? Who cares? It might not seem like much, but for idle and very low throttle openings, it makes a big difference.

Now I follow the same routine every time I reset the TPS, and I do get consistent and expected results. So, I recommend this procedure:

1.  Reset TPS
2.  Open the throttle slightly and let it return by itself
3.  Reset TPS again.

You can take this advice with a grain of salt, but I just want everyone to have consistent results, especially if you are flashing a new map.

Do not reset your TPS wth GuzziDiag if you have a Bellagio or 15RC California, or any non-CARC 1100. They must be set manually with a voltmeter. Read the voltmeter, do not use the volts measurement on GuzziDiag. You could also use the TPS measurement value in GuzziDiag. Again, recheck after opening and releasing the throttle. YMMV.

For a good howto, read Brad Black's (Brad the Bike Boy) post here: LINKY

For the 7SM in the Cali 1400's, you may find you get SERVICE Warning after performing the Handle & Throttle self-learning using GuzziDiag. This does not happen on every bike.

You will note that after each step, GuzziDiag will show a dialog box with 'Finish' and an 'OK' to click. Then it asks you to turn the key off and close GuzziDiag. If you get the SERVICE warning after doing this, then repeat the Handle self-learning, then click 'OK' after the 'Finish' dialog pops up, but DO NOT turn the key off. Simply re-open GuzziDiag, click 'Connect' and click 'OK', then go into the Actors menu and perform the Throttle self-learning. Your SERVICE warning should now be gone.

TPS/Throttle values:

Griso, Stelvio, Norge, 1200 Sport, Breva 1100/1200: 4.6 or 4.7 or 4.8
Single throttle body V7/V7III/V9: 0.9-1.0
V7II: 1.0-1.2
V7 Classic/Nevada/Breva 750: 3.6
California 1100/Bellagio: 3.2 - 3.6

NOTE: The V7III value can be as low as 0.8. If you see this, and the engine idles OK, do not be alarmed.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 03:13:19 PM by beetle »

beetle

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 04:45:23 PM »
ECU List

7SM - California 1400, V85tt

MIU G3 - V7 & V9 Single Throttle Body models

5AM - All CARC models

15RC - V7 Classic, Nevada, Breva 750, California (from 2002), V11 (from 2002)

15M - California (1997-2001), 1100 Quota, V11 (until 2002)

16M - 11 Sport, Centauro, Daytona RS

P8 - Daytona 1000, 1000 Quota (from 1993/94*), California 1100 IE, California III (from 1993*)

P7 - California III (1990-1993), Daytona 1000 (1992-94*), 1000 Quota (until 93/94*)

*Note: P7/P8 changeover was sometime in 1993-1994. It was not simultaneous for all models.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 03:15:04 PM by beetle »

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 07:09:42 PM »
Thanks Beetle...worked a charm a couple months ago when I loaded your map for my newly acquired Griso.

Having just done the first service, I have been meaning to ask whether GuzziDiag can remove the wrench on the dash, or there is somewhere in the diagnostic screen I need to go...since I don't have my manual right at hand....figured I'd ask for a quick reply if anyone knows off the top of their head.

Thanks as always...Norge map running sweet, Griso Map running like a charm as well!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 07:10:22 PM »
Very COOL! that kind of tool (that I can use on my Mac) makes me want another Guzzi!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

beetle

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 07:37:14 PM »
Thanks Beetle...worked a charm a couple months ago when I loaded your map for my newly acquired Griso.

Having just done the first service, I have been meaning to ask whether GuzziDiag can remove the wrench on the dash, or there is somewhere in the diagnostic screen I need to go...since I don't have my manual right at hand....figured I'd ask for a quick reply if anyone knows off the top of their head.

Thanks as always...Norge map running sweet, Griso Map running like a charm as well!

No, you need to go in via the dash menu. Griso service code is 12425. Norge is 28315.

To deactivate the "spanner" icon, turn the selector near the light switch to MODE.Recall the MENU function by briefly pressing SET and releasing, then confirm the selection by pressing and holding the same button.Press and hold the SET button to select the DIAGNOSTICS function.Enter the service code of the model, then select the function "RESET SERVICE".

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 07:38:18 PM by beetle »

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 07:51:29 PM »
Excellent...thank you!   :thumb: :thumb:
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 08:08:30 PM »
Mods, please make this a sticky, or, add another forum category for useful references such as this.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline asquaredgray

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 09:01:05 PM »
Bit of a noob, here.  Where does one find your custom maps?  And do you have one for the 1100 Quota?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'00 1100ES Quota

beetle

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 09:16:59 PM »
Bit of a noob, here.  Where does one find your custom maps?  And do you have one for the 1100 Quota?

www.griso.org

No, I've not made a map for a Quota.

Online rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 10:13:03 PM »
How do I identify the ECU model?  In the hopefully near future, (as soon as I can find a new job and devote some quality time to something besides looking for a new job) I will need to load up Guzzidiag, get the cables in order to get new maps for my 2002 California Special Sport so that I can toss the Power Commander, for my 1400 Touring and also for a 2007 California Vintage that belongs to a friend that has been neglected for years due to totally squiffed fueling,

Also I am not entirely clear from the post at the top of the page if, in addition to Guzzidiag, is the read/write software a part of, or in addition to Guzzidiag?

If the sacred screw has been molested on the Vintage, what is the solution to that problem?

Thanks

2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

beetle

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 10:48:27 PM »
How do I identify the ECU model?  In the hopefully near future, (as soon as I can find a new job and devote some quality time to something besides looking for a new job) I will need to load up Guzzidiag, get the cables in order to get new maps for my 2002 California Special Sport so that I can toss the Power Commander, for my 1400 Touring and also for a 2007 California Vintage that belongs to a friend that has been neglected for years due to totally squiffed fueling,

1400 Touring = 7SM
CalVin = 15RC
Cali Sport = 15M

Also I am not entirely clear from the post at the top of the page if, in addition to Guzzidiag, is the read/write software a part of, or in addition to Guzzidiag?

In the very first post:

"Each is a standalone program that works independently of each other and does not require any extra software."

If the sacred screw has been molested on the Vintage, what is the solution to that problem?

There's a way to get it close, but you'll never get it back to the exact same position.

oldbike54

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 10:57:56 PM »
 Thanks Mark  :bow:

Dusty

Pizza Guzzi

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 12:36:03 AM »
Thanks very much Mark for taking the time to put the guide together  :thumb:
One quick question if I may - I looked at the V7 maps and couldn't see any for V7 111 ( I've got a 2017 Special ) Will you be doing maps for the 111 series bikes ?

Glenn

beetle

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 01:26:17 AM »
Already made two. There's been no demand for them, so only one person has been testing them. Would you like to have a crack?

Pizza Guzzi

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 02:03:03 AM »
Yeah I would. Thinking of putting Agostini cans on eventually and it runs well enough stock so I'll probably wait till I upgrade the exhaust but I could try a stock map if it helps you with development.
Haven't got the cables yet though been concentrating on sorting the suspension so far.

Glenn
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 02:11:14 AM by Pizza Guzzi »

beetle

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 02:42:45 AM »
I'm more interested in testing it with the Agostini's. As you say, the stock map works quite well.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 08:21:10 AM »

Sacred screw on a Vintage?

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 09:56:28 AM »
OH NO, Not the sacred screw!!!  Get out your 2.5mm allen.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 01:42:35 PM »
May I ask a dumb question, as someone awaiting their cables and hasn't worked with this all, but is probably overthinking things?

The whole "5AM, 15M, 15P..." thing... how does one know which they have?
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 03:32:46 PM »
One, it's in your owners manual. Two, it's usually on the ECU's label. And Three, Guzzidiag tells you - bottom left box on the screen after "Connect" works.

Thanks Mark, a timely refresh.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2018, 05:05:57 PM »
Although my'03 Breva, which Mr Roper has already run through his black box will never be needing a Beetle map, I must say I am truly blown away by your efforts to make modern Guzzis run as they should. A labour of love indeed. Ya blood's worth bottling. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2018, 07:15:13 PM »
Thank you, thank your , thank you!!!!   :bow:
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2018, 08:59:31 PM »
May I ask a dumb question, as someone awaiting their cables and hasn't worked with this all, but is probably overthinking things?

The whole "5AM, 15M, 15P..." thing... how does one know which they have?

It tells you in your workshop manual, it may say in the owners manual also. Easiest way.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Bill Dee

• New Egg
  • Cautious Expert Rider
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2018, 11:47:17 AM »
I have the OBDII cable for my Triumph.  Can you please identify the Guzzi cable and post a link to a place it is available to purchase. 
If We Don't Have Jobs Making It ...... How Will We Have The Money To Buy It ?

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2018, 02:08:10 PM »
I have the OBDII cable for my Triumph.  Can you please identify the Guzzi cable and post a link to a place it is available to purchase.

Up above there is a picture of the "The Fiat 3 Pin to 16 pin Adapter".  Don't mean to sound mean, but if you google that you'll see several places where you can buy one.  I think it is a bit hard to document "buy it from here" when those sources change all the time.  I bought mine using Amazon, some buy via ebay, other buy from some electrical supply place. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here