Author Topic: local Houston motorcycle crash, death: wow  (Read 11765 times)

lucydad

local Houston motorcycle crash, death: wow
« on: March 06, 2015, 09:40:25 AM »
All,

Nasty one here:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/mcso-deputy-charged-in-january-motorcycle-crash-that-killed-patrol-deputy/31635972

They did everything wrong.  Sheesh.  No mercy if I was on the jury, or the judge.  I think I met this deputy...looks really familiar.

Hence why I turn down the ride and drink stuff from the HD crowd.  Been invited many times.  Nope, I will finish my water or coffee and keep riding, but not to a Galveston County bar for a "few" beers.

Ok, I am going to call momster, and take out the Cannondale for a ride.  Need some endorphins. 

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: local Houston motorcycle crash, death: wow
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 09:49:56 AM »
wow the comments at the bottom are pretty viscous.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 09:50:52 AM »
I don't know.  Some idiot in a pickup truck came within inches of punching my ticket yesterday about noon, perfectly sober but I would have been just as dead.  Hope your bike ride is a good one.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 10:05:37 AM »
3am and a .168 BAC    :o
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 10:05:37 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 10:24:20 AM »
Mom always taught me to be off the streets before midnight because nothing good happens after then . Sad case .

Dusty

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 10:32:53 AM »
wow the comments at the bottom are pretty viscous.

I have no trouble siding with this commenter:

" Selmser should get a much higher charge because the Constablette was hot. Killing a hot chick should carry severe penalties "
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 10:51:20 AM »
I have no trouble siding with this commenter:

" Selmser should get a much higher charge because the Constablette was hot. Killing a hot chick should carry severe penalties "

Hot maybe , but not too bright .

Dusty

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 11:04:57 AM »
I'm not sure I could even fish at .168 BAC, much less operate a motor vehicle. A sad tale all around.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:05:34 AM by segesta »
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 11:16:14 AM »
Interestingly, the legal limit to drive a car in Maryland, DC and Virginia when I was 18 was .15% blood alcohol.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 11:28:55 AM »
I'm not sure I could even fish at .168 BAC, much less operate a motor vehicle. A sad tale all around.

I went to a BAC chart to see what that would mean for me - it looks like that would equate to about all I could drink on a day dedicated to drinking, at the end of the day.

I think I could fish but I would probably fall in as well.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

lucydad

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 11:46:56 AM »
Yep, dredged my memory.  I met this officer about a year ago at a fundraiser.

Damn. 

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 12:23:20 PM »
Interestingly, the legal limit to drive a car in Maryland, DC and Virginia when I was 18 was .15% blood alcohol.

Yeah, the "good old days"!

I'm pretty sure today .08 is universal for most places for most people in The USA.

.01-.05 for minors and .01-.04 for CDL drivers.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 12:35:37 PM »
  Driving anything when it is drynk out is extramely dangerous.  I like many tohers did a lot of it when I was younger
  but by some perverse brace surfived and did not kill anyone else.  Many times I have wondered why that is.
  I used to ride with one perchnters who were nearly always drunk or stoned.  Many of them are dead now,
   and in most cases dui was involved.  I stooped all drink some years ago of reasons of my health and have found
  that I am still able to make an ass of myself without alchohol.  I guess that proves that I didn't really need it anyway.

Wow Autocorrect really had fun with me on this one.
 Since this I experimented by typing one letter at a time and watching it change my words. 
 Sometimes I would erase the error and retype only to watch it do the same thing.
 Autocorrect sucks and I don't seem to be able to get rid of it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:50:08 PM by Sasquatch Jim »
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Bill Hagan

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 12:56:04 PM »

I stopped all drink some years ago of reasons of my health and have found that I am still able to make an ass of myself without alcohol. 

That is really, really funny.    :D

Bill

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 01:11:10 PM »
I stooped all drink some years ago of reasons of my health and have found that I am still able to make an ass of myself without alcohol.

Ditto.  I still have those character anomalies I had when I was imbibing.  But years ago I realized I earned my merit badge in booze, etc, so it was time to go asshole ala naturale.

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

LongRanger

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 01:48:54 PM »
Oh well, just another DUI motorcycle fatality. Nothing to see, folks, now move along. I'm sure there will be many, many more to come. It's just a shame the wrong person died in this one.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »
Yeah, the "good old days"!

On top of the .15% limit, it wasn't illegal to drink while driving, other than a violation of the no-eating while driving rule.  So as long as you kept moving and didn't stop, you were OK.  Stopping the car in a parking lot and drinking could mean you were "drinking in public", which was a violation.  MD, DC, and VA were among the last to change to the .08% limit too.  That almost certainly was influenced by the large number of public servants that live around DC and didn't want to find themselves in violation of the law on a regular basis.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »
Oh well, just another DUI motorcycle fatality. Nothing to see, folks, now move along. I'm sure there will be many, many more to come. It's just a shame the wrong person died in this one.

OK , devil's advocate here . The young lady that died in this incident was a patrol deputy , which would indicate that she had some knowledge of the law . She chose to participate in the night's activities , willingly one would guess . All she had to do was not get on the back of the MC . Seems to me that she also bears at least some responsibility in this instance . Sad that she died , and the operator should be prosecuted , but , the young lady could have made a better decision . This could and should be used as a cautionary tale .

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 03:05:26 PM »
This could and should be used as a cautionary tale .

Dusty

Yeah.

"Have yo ass home by 'leven"

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

lucydad

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 03:07:54 PM »
Dusty,

Completely agree.  She may have also been a bit under the influence?  Very poor choice.

oldbike54

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 03:17:54 PM »
Dusty,

Completely agree.  She may have also been a bit under the influence?  Very poor choice.

If she was sober then it would make the decision to passenger even less understandable . Yeah , I know , only 21 years old , bulletproof , and all that , still ...

Dusty

LongRanger

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 05:14:08 PM »
Your point is well taken, but in my view she's not culpable and did nothing to contribute to the accident (from what I can tell). Kinda like relying on a designated driver to get you home safely, except they're drunk too and decide to get you killed. Cops are allowed to get drunk like the rest of us -- I don't see that she did anything illegal. Dumb, perhaps, but not illegal.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 05:20:28 PM by LongRanger »

oldbike54

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 05:26:49 PM »
Your point is well taken, but in my view she's not culpable for the accident and did nothing to contribute to it (from what I can tell). Kinda like relying on a designated driver to get you home safely, but they're drunk too and decide to get you killed. Cops are allowed to get drunk like the rest of us -- I don't see that she did anything illegal. Dumb, perhaps, but not illegal.

Not speaking to legality . But either she was a participant in the party , or if she was sober and chose to get on behind the guy , she knew the risk . Not making light of the situation , but if someone is a willing participant in a raw dumb act of stupidity , my belief is they bear some of the responsibility . Like mom used to say , just because your friends are doing something stupid or illegal doesn't mean you should join in .

Dusty

LongRanger

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 05:33:21 PM »
Got it. I agree with your mom.

oldbike54

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 05:44:12 PM »
Got it. I agree with your mom.

Amazing how smart moms can be  :D

Dusty

Vasco DG

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 06:03:04 PM »
One of the nice things about Bungendore is our pubs both have a booze bus. Walk or drive down and if you have enough to put you over, (0.05 in Oz.) you just get the bus home and collect yer car next day.

If you get on the back of a bike with a pissed idiot on the front I'm afraid you have nobody to blame but yourself if things go pear shaped. Same with a car.

Pete

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 10:20:13 PM »
I have to wonder what the outcome of the accident might have been had Texas been a mandatory helmet state.

Just sayin..

Ralph
Wearing a helmet since 1955.
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Penderic

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2015, 06:08:21 AM »
Best place to crash?

"Spine surgeon Sanjay Khurana was playing golf Thursday when a single-engine, World War II-era plane crashed on the course.

Khurana operated on instinct, he says, running to the scene to ensure the pilot was safe.

“He was stunned a bit,” Khurana said. “He was moaning and in pain.”

https://gma.yahoo.com/harrison-ford-plane-crash-described-golfing-spine-surgeon-130331212--abc-news-celebrities.html

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 06:10:31 AM by Penderic »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2015, 06:33:16 AM »
 I weigh 165 pounds so according to the charts I can probably get away with about three beers in an hour....I seldom drink alcohol and believe me three beers in an hour or so and I'm impaired. Alcohol at even a small amount causes some stupidity even in experienced drinkers...anyone who denies this is...well... in denial  ;D

dilligaf

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2015, 07:39:26 AM »
I have to wonder what the outcome of the accident might have been had Texas been a mandatory helmet state.

Just sayin..

Ralph
Wearing a helmet since 1955.

Then we all would be saying "Gee and they were wearing helmets". The only reason this even made the new is because these folks were involved with the police force.  And the only reason we are discussing this is because it's Winter.  ::(  :BEER:
Matt
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 07:55:30 AM by dilligaf »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here