Author Topic: Optional way to transport a motorcycle  (Read 5473 times)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Optional way to transport a motorcycle
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2023, 05:07:44 PM »
Everything works well until it doesn’t.
If you have had “no issues”, then either none of the dissenting comments have any merit, or you haven’t encountered  the situation under which they surface.
The one I don’t like is the forces when you hit a bump.
In normal forward motion an obstruction will have the tendancy to (of course), compress the forks and the shock is dissipated steadily through the motion of the slider.
The force is resolved into horizontal and vertical vectors and the resultant is compression in line with the staunchions such that minimal bending moment exists.
With this device, ALL of the load is sent into a bending moment and it’s cruel.
Also in the rear shot showing the bike leaning to port (not starboard), it can be seen that all of the tendancy to sway clockwise or anticlockwise, is resisted by the rear wheel and this is manifested as a twisting force that the wheel and associated pivot points are not designed to endure.
Does it work ?
Yes.
Does your bike have enough inherent robustness not to break under use ?
Yes.
Is it ideal ?
No.
One day you will encounter a major pot hole that you will instinctively miss with your truck by skilfully manouvering to place it harmlessly under your sump plug in the vehicle, and the next wheel to clobber into it will be the bike’s.
It’s an emergency solution at best.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 04:38:16 AM by Huzo »

Online moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2023, 01:14:50 AM »
It’s hard to argue with one so adamantly attached to his theoretical fancies, and impossible to prove a negative in this case. Meanwhile, I’ve escaped frigid  Wisconsin, MoTow attached, and am heading for some riding in the sun around Harrison, Arkansas. Perhaps all the accumulated successful experience with MoTows will end in wailing and gnashing of teeth, but maybe not. I am sure many here understand your reasoning, but not why you make the same points over and over.

By the way, I’m not driving a truck and haven’t posted any photos you described. I am driving an Alfa Romeo Stelvio, having fun that no one ever had in a pickup truck with a bike in the back. Life is short, Huzo. Don’t worry. Be happy.

Best wishes from Mt. Vernon, Iowa, and good night.

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2023, 03:59:07 AM »
Yeah ok.
I’m not worried or gnashing my teeth, because it isn’t my bike that’s involved. I make the case again in the hope that I’ll be more successful in making my point(s).
I don’t think you’ll have any dramas at all, because there is enough rigidity and structural integrity to endure what your bike will encounter. But just because the poor bugger doesn’t crack around the swingarm pivot, distort your rear wheel or damage the forks, it does not mean you have not displayed a casual indifference to the potential mistreatment that is being dished out.
What I hope and what I think are not the same and I can only trust in the fact that I’m full of crap, for your sake.
Oh and by the way..
If I’d made the above points in the affirmative with the same level of furvour, I expect you’d be more disposed toward accepting my reasoning.
Yeah life is short, but no one said there was death at the end of this saga, so that’s a moot point.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 04:03:49 AM by Huzo »

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2023, 07:30:29 AM »
Wonder how it'd work on this little beauty. Might need a permit for overall vehicle length but that's a different topic.

For me the MoTow is a No-Go.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 07:31:54 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2023, 07:30:29 AM »

Online moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2023, 08:44:00 PM »
... it does not mean you have not displayed a casual indifference to the potential mistreatment that is being dished out.

studied indifference, not casual indifference. I considered the same points you pontificate about, but came to my own conclusion

....Yeah life is short, but no one said there was death at the end of this saga, so that’s a moot point.

No, the point about life being short has nothing to do with a risk of life or death in using the hitch, but is about the danger of not getting on with fun while you still have time.

In that regard, I just got back from two days of riding in the 70's and 80's down in Arkansas where the lilacs are in bloom, thanks to my MoTow. It's not so pleasant here in Wisconsin.

Moto

« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 08:51:13 PM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
Re: new way to transport a motorcycle
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2023, 06:08:10 PM »
have you seen one of these? they're not small. If you have two cars and a two car garage, this won't fit.
I kept a two bike Kendon stored upright in my two-car garage for several years.  Bought it used off Craigslist. I parked a full size truck next to the wife's small compact car. There was plenty of room for the trailer on her side of the garage.  Now I suppose if one has a Suburban and an F250 stuffed in their garage....
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 06:26:24 PM by Motormike »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here