Author Topic: Royal Enfield bullet weight reduction  (Read 1073 times)

Online reidy

• Gosling
Royal Enfield bullet weight reduction
« on: December 05, 2021, 09:41:16 PM »
Let me first start by answering the questions that may come from this post.
1. Why am I asking about Enfield's on a Guzzi site? Because there are a lot of technical minded intelligent people here.
2. Why don't you just loose 25 Kg instead of taking weight of the bike? If I did I would still be 175 cm tall but only weigh 47 Kg, I would not have the energy to ride.

I am wanting to build a bike to use as a back dirt road explorer. I would like something around 135 Kg or 300 Lbs. I don't need or want the massive ground clearance of a modern offroad bike. I want it to be simple and parts available, Enfield has made a few of these over the years and there are a few parts suppliers around. I like the look of the 60's Triumph Desert Sleds. Most importantly I want it to be respectable but not flash. When, not if I drop it I don't want to be adding up the thousands to put it back on the road. In short I just want a cheap, simple, carefree bike to have fun on with the look I like.

The secondhand price or asking prince in my local area for Japanese dirt bikes from the 70's or even small road bikes have gone through the roof. Even for non runners that need a lot of work.

Therefore I am thinking of making a scrambler out of a Enfield bullet. The dry weight of 194 Kg or nearly 430 Lbs comes as a shock. I cant work out where they have packed the weight in or where to remove it. Therefore if you have got this far you will understand the title. How much weight can be removed of a road registered Enfield bullet?

I may have to go back to drawing board if the Enfield is adverse to dieting.

Thanks Steve

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Royal Enfield bullet weight reduction
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 10:10:57 PM »
How about a Van Van 200 or 125. Already under 300 lbs with a comfy seat.

Back to the Enfield. Ful cradle steel frames aren't light. Two rear shocks instead of one.  Stock exhaust much heavier than aftermarket. Are the wheels steel?  My Himalayan were and quite heavy compared to alloy wheels.  Doubt you will shed 100 lbs without a lot of money and work.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Italianmotofest

• New Egg
    • Mid-Atlantic Italian Motorcycle Festival
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 10:29:05 PM »

+1 on the Van Van 200. Little bike. Big fun.

Bill
Bill

Some might say that you are just too much.
Those are not your people!

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 11:06:46 PM »
Do you already have the Enfield?  I had a 2001 and the easiest way to loose weight on it would be the exhaust, headlight nacelle, air filter box, seat and sheet metal.  It looked about like a 1950 model that was was the basis for some trials machines, but it was not light.  And the Albion 'box is full of neutrals.  More recent gearboxes are probably lots better.

1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 11:06:46 PM »

Online reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 11:57:55 PM »
The Van Van 200 does look like a fun bike, as far as I know we don't get them in Australia.

I don't already have an enfield but there seems to be a few around for sale. For some reason the market seems crazy on a lot of old bikes. I don't know if they are selling.

Steve

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 12:39:02 AM »
I understand the question
2 answers, neither enfield related
1/ mate has a set of van vans for sale (in Vic) , one running, 2 in bits,  pm me for his number
2/ He is buying a v65 because of my one (incredibly light and I have a Lario motor in it, so it goes)

For your needs a small block Guzzi fits the bill,  135 kg maybe not but 160 was easy (2-1 exhaust, seat, plastic tank and various unnecessary heavy bits gone). Lighter wheels and a plastic headlight would get it closer to your mark
From a V50 to a modern V7, all basically same platform.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 03:31:22 AM »
An Enfield for dirt is a good thing. Already have big (19 in) wheels, & getting a 21in front is possible, strong low down torque from the long stroke single. Used to rule the trials world in the UK back in the day & the modern 5 speed gearbox is an improvement.  The weight problem - the muffler & header is massive, but easily replaced with lighter. The wheels are usually chromed steel, alloy rims & stainless spokes is a common change, but steel rims are hardier for bush bashing & easier to source & cheaper to replace. The frame is very heavy, but be careful cutting it up, would need expert advice. The swingarm is heavy too, but not much you can do about it - anyway it works well & needs to be robust. There's other minor  stuff that can be removed without effecting operations. Go as far as you can easily go & test it out. Enfields are a lot easier to pick up when lying flat than Guzzis, even smallblocks. It's just the way they are built & the abudance of handy protrusions to grab hold of. They handle a lot lighter than Guzzis too, especially on dirt. You might be surprised.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 04:54:57 AM »
as other stated , look at the exhaust and the wheels for easy weight reduction.
you do not state the age of the bullet you are looking at , old iron barrels are light , but high maintenance.
later ones had a unit construction , and are pretty modern bikes
they make handsome scramblers.
this one has just the exhaust, mudguards  and seat changed
https://images.thequint.com/thequint%2F2019-03%2F6f5e9f79-bad8-4b57-9355-3a2193ea137c%2FRoyal_Enfield_Trials_500.jpg?rect=0%2C16%2C1048%2C590&auto=format%2Ccompress&fmt=webp

but do a test ride , due to the low center of gravity and narrow tires they hide their weight well. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 05:03:35 AM by huub »

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 05:04:10 AM »
Don't know if you get them down there but Fantic Caballero 500 is 331 lbs dry weight.  The 250 is 286 lbs.  Not sure what the 125 is.  I love the look of those bikes.  Don't get them in the US.  The 500 would be sitting in my garage if we did. 

Online reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 05:16:45 AM »
I would be looking at a later one. I could get a 2011 with low k's for the same money as a 1975 Japanese 250 that needs work.

I would prefer a carby model as even though fuel injection is reliable, it probably wont like been dropped in a creek where the carby can be dried and cleaned out.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 04:16:49 PM »
Check out the RE Electra. 2006 - 2009, all aluminium engine, 5-speed gearbox, carburettor, disc front brake. Spare parts & accessories available from Hitchcocks in the UK, where it was sold as the Electra X. Just the ticket.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 05:42:42 PM »
I have a 2016 Classic Chrome, and I am also a trials rider that specialized in making old four stroke Hondas into lightweight and competitive trials bikes. It is pretty easy to shed 20 or 30 lbs from a bullet, exhaust, header, wheels, Lithium battery,  plastic fenders,lightweight shocks,  AL bars, etc. I don't think 100lbs is possible since the motor and frame weigh a ton or so. YOu would do well to get it under 400lbs and trying to get it to 300lbs.......not gonna happen unless you start from scratch with a custom frame and gas tank and remove the gauges and headlight. JMO, but I am right.
Scott
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 07:32:51 AM by 9fingers »
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 05:47:35 PM »
Question, when or we going to 650 dual sport?Rudy

Online reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2021, 01:23:45 AM »
I have a 2016 Classic Chrome, and I am also a trials rider that specialized in making old four stroke Hondas in to lightweight and competitive trials bikes. It is pretty easy to shed 2 or 30 lbs from a bullet, exhaust, header, wheels, Lithium battery,  plastic fenders,lightweight shocks,  AL bars, etc. I don't think 100lbs is possible since the motor and frame weigh a ton or so. YOu would do well to get it under 400lbs and trying to get it to 300lbs.......not gonna happen unless you start from scratch with a custom frame and gas tank and remove the gauges and headlight. JMO, but I am right.
Scott

All opinions are good. Since you are a trials rider and in the game of converting bikes you are well placed to answer this question.
If you were to assume I am an average off road rider who grew up on a farm but not an enduro or MX rider, how would you rate a lightly stripped Enfield as a back road mount. Or should I just pay the cash and get an old twin shock four stroke Honda.

It would appear I am looking for a 2006to 2009 as they would fit the simplicity bill (Thanks for the tip Malik.) 

Steve

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2021, 07:31:27 AM »
All opinions are good. Since you are a trials rider and in the game of converting bikes you are well placed to answer this question.
If you were to assume I am an average off road rider who grew up on a farm but not an enduro or MX rider, how would you rate a lightly stripped Enfield as a back road mount. Or should I just pay the cash and get an old twin shock four stroke Honda.

It would appear I am looking for a 2006to 2009 as they would fit the simplicity bill (Thanks for the tip Malik.) 

Steve

Wow that is a big question! As you know, in India they ride Bullets all over the freaken place including through streams and rocky roads in the Himalayas. So, it will GO almost anywhere.....tracto r like torque, great traction, relatively low center of gravity and super easy to ride. So you can probably ride it ANYWHERE as long as the low ground clearance does you in...12" logs and a boulder field would present a probably insurmountable obstacles unless you are very good! I have certainly done dirt roads and easy double track trails on my Enfield but they were fairly smooth. So it really depends on what you expect from it. Put some trials tires on it...the IRCs are really good and pretty inexpensive....Mich elins probably the best. But don't take them on the road as they will be gone quickly, either brand. If you are looking for more capability there is the RE Himalayan and of course, any of the old Honda CRF, XR or XL models (also stirpped of extras for the XL). if you really want light and are not a really big guy a CRF230 would be a lightweight and pretty capable off road mount. One last thing. RE parts are as cheap as dirt, so if you damage something it costs very little to fix them. And since there are millions of Bullets in the world, their are tons of parts and modifications available, from Hitchcocks in the UK as well as from India. Check the Classicmotorworks unofficial Royal Enfield Forum.......tons of info on there and there are others that have done what you are trying to do. Contact me directly if you would like further info. Good luck!
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2021, 07:34:40 AM »
Question, when or we going to 650 dual sport?Rudy

Coming in 2024, 2 versions of the RE650 designed for more "adventure". One will be more dirt focused than the other.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Online reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2021, 04:11:29 AM »
Thanks for all of the responses. I ended up seeing a cheap Honda CB 250N 1978 model for sale. It runs well with no smoke and just needs a master cylinder rebuild plus a good service to get mobile. Once I get into it it will require tyres and probably some bearings For $500 AUD I thought it would be worth a shot. I will start researching soon. I want to turn this into a scrambler.

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2021, 12:55:03 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses. I ended up seeing a cheap Honda CB 250N 1978 model for sale. It runs well with no smoke and just needs a master cylinder rebuild plus a good service to get mobile. Once I get into it it will require tyres and probably some bearings For $500 AUD I thought it would be worth a shot. I will start researching soon. I want to turn this into a scrambler.

If you're thinking of off-pavement riding you should consider replacing the wheels. The Comstar rims Honda put on many bikes (like yours) are not the strongest and don't age well. OK for pavement but won't hold up to off road use.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here