Author Topic: Japanese motorbike history  (Read 3411 times)

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Japanese motorbike history
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2019, 06:00:31 AM »
What a great idea!...love it

In British parlance, she's flipping the bird at me though..turning your palm forward is a peace sign, just in time for Woodstock 50th..

I've seriously considered a new Honda cub
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2019, 06:39:41 AM »
What a great idea!...love it

In British parlance, she's flipping the bird at me though..turning your palm forward is a peace sign, just in time for Woodstock 50th..

I've seriously considered a new Honda cub

Have you seen one?  They’re ridiculously well finished.  I’ve been toying with the idea of getting one too.  Trouble is, you’re looking at close to $4,500 OTD for a 125cc scooter.  That’s Vespa 150 territory.  I’d rather have the Honda but I’m not sure who else would.  There was a very limited supply of Super Cub’s this year and dealers haven’t seemed willing to budge on pricing.  Many sold at a premium over MSRP.  It’s a hard pill to swallow when Grom’s are selling for $3k with an identical drivetrain.

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2019, 07:16:37 AM »
Have you seen one?  They’re ridiculously well finished.  I’ve been toying with the idea of getting one too.  Trouble is, you’re looking at close to $4,500 OTD for a 125cc scooter.  That’s Vespa 150 territory.  I’d rather have the Honda but I’m not sure who else would.  There was a very limited supply of Super Cub’s this year and dealers haven’t seemed willing to budge on pricing.  Many sold at a premium over MSRP.  It’s a hard pill to swallow when Grom’s are selling for $3k with an identical drivetrain.

Dealers in the US have been allocated one each of the 125cc Cub, at least for the first year..    I'm friends with the owner of a local Honda/BMW shop.    He is keeping his allocated bike as part of his collection.   I don't see any dealers budging on price this year.   Maybe next year if Honda builds a lot more of them, or once everyone that wants one has one.

That seems to be a thing with retro Japanese bikes.    Take both the 2000-2001 W650 and, 13 years later the CB1100.   Both ended up languishing on showroom floors after the initial batch of enthusiast all got theirs.

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2019, 02:48:20 PM »
They’re bringing them in for 2020 but they’re red.  Not Honda red either.  I’m not crazy about the color.  The blue looks super sharp in person.  I live 4 miles from work and my schedule is 4 ten hour days.  They get 100mpg.  I could ride it back and forth to work for five months for about $20. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2019, 02:48:20 PM »

Offline Bill

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2019, 04:07:31 PM »
I've owned only about a dozen motorcycles. Mostly British and Japanese. For me British ruled in the 60's and I owned 3 Triumph's back then. But the CB750 cam out and I sold my 69 Bonneville to buy one. Geeze what a magnitude  of difference. Electrics, bright lights, brakes, smoothness, and POWER!
Then family and career got in my way for a few decades and I bought a new 1998 EV. I was hooked, still am. Toured all over the east half of the country and fell in love with it's uniqueness. However in 2000 I bought a 1200 Suzuki Bandit and tuned it for power. Damn what a ride, put 66,000 miles on it.
The power was amazing and the thing was bullet proof. Had an exciting ball owning it.

Next I bought a 2009 Yamaha FJR. Holley crapolla  what a magnificent sport touring bike. This bike is made for trips. It doesn't fit me well but it has so many good virtues I still own it.  However, I missed my old lighter weight  Bandit so just recently bought a used one. Fun as before but this one is stock tuned for 'normal" street riding and better suited to my now aging riding style.  So right now the FJR, the Bandit and the 98 EV are in the garage...Which one has the most miles and my favorite? The trusty, quirky 98EV.
Bill

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here