Author Topic: Heat from exhaust collector burning my shins  (Read 1564 times)

w123driver

Heat from exhaust collector burning my shins
« on: June 29, 2015, 06:51:21 AM »
I commute to Center City Philadelphia from Jersey shore with my Breva on a daily basis. Traffic in and out of Center City is mostly stop-and-go. The heat from exhaust (I think from collectors) is burning my tibia in those hot humid days; becomes unbearable. I never had such issue with my other bike - BMW R1200, I think fairing does good job deflecting hot stream away from my lower extremities. I wonder if other experience same issue with naked bikes; if there is some sort of remedy for it (other than getting rid of bike). The valve heads feel in general hotter than on BMW, with oil on proper level and the bike having mo mechanical or ignition issues.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 07:01:19 AM by w123driver »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Heat from exhaust collector burning my shins
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 07:04:25 AM »
Judging from your old posts I suspect you're talking about a Breva 1100 (and not the smallblock Breva 750).

You my friend, bought the ONE modern Guzzi where they put the damn catalytic-converter in the Y-pipe (collector, or whatever else you want to call it) instead of the muffler(s).

Makes for hella heat at that point under the bike, and yes, where you put your feet down in traffic.

For me the real simple solution (though not cheap) was to install the Guzzi-tech Y-pipe which eliminates the Cat-Con. Unfortunately, it does allow you to hear a little more of the exhaust (well you might like that, but that includes some popping on decel, never really bothered me, but it was a noticeable change).

FWIW, it's a beautifully made piece:

http://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-r-b11-y-pipe/

If you ever want/need to stop halfway between home and work, keep us in mind here in little ol' Medford.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 07:05:21 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

w123driver

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 07:57:55 AM »
Thanks Kev!

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 08:55:37 PM »
You might also look into ceramic coating the pipes -- significantly reduced heat.  I was cooking my feet/ankles in hot weather until I had that done.  Now I don't even think about hot feet.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 08:55:37 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here