Author Topic: what do I look for  (Read 2927 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
what do I look for
« on: July 03, 2015, 09:10:42 AM »
I've read many posts on possible problems with new V7 stone/racer/special.  I do understand that they are the minority of bikes, but I'd rather not deal with issues like leaky heads due to poor casting or fried regulators, the plastic fuel filter, etc.   One of the advantages seen on this forum to owning the V7 is the community of helpful and ... mostly  :rolleyes:... friendly members.  And the apparently easy to maintain small block motor. 

The reason the V7 appeals to me is the light weight, the manageable and usable power, the way it feels, and the way it looks.  AND the fact that my local dealer will soon take delivery of a new 2013 bike to be sold at a terrific discount... that always helps... and the insurance isn't terribly expensive and so on and so forth.  Once the dealer gets the bike, I'll take it home. :laugh:

Visually and viscerally, the Griso  :drool: epitomizes Italian design and function... but the weight and power are more than I really want to manage at this time in my life. 

Most importantly, my middle daughter, she's 26, a very athletic and active rock-climber and yoga instructor, wants me to teach her to ride two wheels.  I've considered another vespa to teach her on but she wants something that looks and feels like a real bike.  Hence the V7... Plus I really like it and want to get back into riding anyway.  Once she completes her MSF course, I can start teaching her and eventually hand the keys over to her.  Seems like a win-win.  (She would learn on her own if I didn't teach her... I'd rather be there)

Anyhoo, any issues I should look for during and/or after purchase?

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: what do I look for
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 09:17:02 AM »
Honestly?

Take it for a test ride.

If nothing is leaking and it feels good, don't worry about it.

Unless you have a bike from the 1% of us weirdos who do things like pull the fuel tank off a new bike to replace the fuel filter you will most certainly have the half-plastic one. If it's that important to you to not worry about either plan on doing it yourself or negotiate that into the purchase.

There are a couple of little niggling things that you might have to look at, like clutch cable routing (is it sitting against the cylinder jug), or spark plug cable routing (is it or a breather hose clamp rubbing on the paint) but we're talking really minor stuff.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 09:21:59 AM »
Unless you have a bike from the 1% of us weirdos who do things like pull the fuel tank off a new bike to replace the fuel filter you will most certainly have the half-plastic one. If it's that important to you to not worry about either plan on doing it yourself or negotiate that into the purchase.

There are a couple of little niggling things that you might have to look at, like clutch cable routing (is it sitting against the cylinder jug), or spark plug cable routing (is it or a breather hose clamp rubbing on the paint) but we're talking really minor stuff.
Easier to "worry" about these things than about an airbag staring you in the face that can explode at any minute and kill you.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 09:22:41 AM »
These are simple machines with little issues.  Go ride it and I'll know you'll love it.  Fits exaclty the perimeters you mention.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 09:22:41 AM »

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 09:58:34 AM »
Honestly?

Take it for a test ride.

If nothing is leaking and it feels good, don't worry about it.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I've read many of your posts on the V7... very level headed and pragmatic opinions that are very helpful to all of us looking at the Moto Guzzi line up. 

The plastic fuel filter isn't a big deal to me.  If it stops functioning in a couple years, I'll deal with it then.  But I'm not interested in taking apart a brand new machine built by people who build motorcycles for a living, lol. 

I'll look for cable routing contacting cylinder heads or scratching/scuffing paint.  Thanks for the suggestions and hopefully the dealer will get the bike this weekend.  :thumb:

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 10:01:15 AM »
I love my V7! I have a casting that is leaking, but it is a manufactured part, and nothing is perfect. It is more of a weep than a leak, and I will ride it until MG decides on a solution.
Probably the most fun on 2 wheels I have owned. You will not regret the purchase.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 10:01:25 AM »
Where are you from, and what dealer?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 10:02:04 AM »
Easier to "worry" about these things than about an airbag staring you in the face that can explode at any minute and kill you.

I've heard stories... ghastly.  However, my wife was in an accident several years ago and an airbag deployed, punching her in the face so hard she saw stars for quite a while. 

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 10:04:50 AM »
Where are you from, and what dealer?

San Diego.  GP Motocycles.... they sell Moto Guzzi, Aprilia, Ducati, MV, and the new Norton bike.  Most of their business is likely ducati sport bikes with MG on the side line. 

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 10:49:40 AM »
Forum chatter is seldom about how good the bike is, more likely you will hear about that 1 in a million issue which will then take on a life of its own.  The '13 V7 is, IMHO, the one to get at this point in time.  You get the benefit of a single throttle body (nothing to balance), a dry alternator (so you can turn the engine over using the alternator bolt), and a depreciated price.  Good score!

Kev has pointed out the very minor points to check, after that you just ride the bike and make it fit you.  You might want a different seat, shocks, horn, or mirrors...they are all personal preference.  I really like having a centerstand and the euro side stand.  Hard bags are nice too.  Ah, the possibilities are endless.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 11:05:31 AM »
Vstevens:

Take the plunge.   No need to worry.   They are solid bikes.  Come with 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty. 

I ride mine at least 500 miles a week.  Am on it just about every day.  Have been on many long tours.  Will do another 2000 mile road trip in another few weeks.

Fantastic bike.

Let me put it this way.  If mine were totaled or stolen, I would immediately buy another.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 05:43:52 PM »
Vstevens:

Fantastic bike.

Let me put it this way.  If mine were totaled or stolen, I would immediately buy another.

Yep!

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 06:04:12 PM »
Vstevens:

Fantastic bike.

Yep, too! And I did not wait for it to get stolen or totalled, just a clutch to be replaced (at 75,000 miles) and a bargain buy. Fun, fun, fun - and they look great too!

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here