Author Topic: Alfa  (Read 11214 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
Alfa
« on: July 28, 2016, 09:06:32 AM »
Romeo!

Been looking at 70's and 80's Alfas.  In particular, the GTV6 Alfetta.  It's an interesting car, different from the 60's Alfas but beautiful in its own right.  Though I've never owned an Alfa (My DD is a 2012 Fiat 500 - great runabout) I've considered it recently as a sort of hobby car.

What are your experiences with older Alfa Romeo, in particular those of the 70's and 80's?

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Alfa
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 09:16:53 AM »
They are Italian. So all the things that are good and bad about that.
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

Moto

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »
My Alfa GTV 2000 (197_?) was the only car I've ever missed, and still I miss it a lot, 20+ years on.

It's a 2+2 coupe that was compared to a small Ferrari at the time. Unbelievably fun to drive, mine had an aftermarket cam that really opened it up in the higher rpms.

Basically, cars to me are a utility. (I have an Avalon, what more is there to say.) But not it.

Unfortunately, the logical replacement as a new car is the exotic Alfa 4C, which I'm not going to buy. The restyled Miata-Alfa doesn't do it.

I'd certainly go for it if I had the room, time, and desire to keep one up.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 09:28:48 AM »
If you can find an Alfetta GT or GTV-6 that hasn't rusted out, or been run into the ground, I will be surprised.

I owned a 1984 GTV-6.  Lovely, balanced car.  Sounds great and makes you feel like a million bucks while driving it.

Quirky to work on.  Expensive, too.

The V6 is an interference engine, so be sure you're using a new cam belt.  DAMHIK.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 09:28:48 AM »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 09:30:31 AM »
  The restyled Miata-Alfa doesn't do it.

The restyled Miata is badged as a FIAT.  Not an ALFA.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 09:39:05 AM »
The Alfa's we owned while I was a kid/teenager were my gateway drug to italian motorcycles. 

Don't do it!
V9 Bobber
Zero S

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 09:39:16 AM »
If you can find an Alfetta GT or GTV-6 that hasn't rusted out, or been run into the ground, I will be surprised.

I owned a 1984 GTV-6.  Lovely, balanced car.  Sounds great and makes you feel like a million bucks while driving it.

Quirky to work on.  Expensive, too.

The V6 is an interference engine, so be sure you're using a new cam belt.  DAMHIK.

Haven't seen too many on CL or eBay.  I've done - a little - research reading up on them and I do recall the interference engine... same engine in the more common 164 and Milano sedans (From what I've read... that isn't yet confirmed).  Parts availability seems adequate. 

They are Italian. So all the things that are good and bad about that.

Seems to be a recurring theme in Alfa ownership - sold the only car I miss!  Something in the way she moves attracts me like no other lover .... (Sorry George, I couldn't resist!)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 09:41:03 AM by vstevens »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 09:59:19 AM »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 10:04:53 AM »
I've done - a little - research reading up on them and I do recall the interference engine... same engine in the more common 164 and Milano sedans (From what I've read... that isn't yet confirmed).  Parts availability seems adequate. 

Seems to be a recurring theme in Alfa ownership - sold the only car I miss!  Something in the way she moves attracts me like no other lover .... (Sorry George, I couldn't resist!)

Keep in mind that the 164 is a front wheel drive sedan.  Interesting cars, but not like the 119 chassis Alfettas.  The 3.0L Quadrifoglio Verde would be the one to have.

The Milano is on the same chassis as the GTV-6, so RWD deDion transaxle.  The Verde would be the one to have.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 10:13:52 AM »
Loved the 77 Sprint Veloce and 84 GTV6.  There are great examples around if you look, especially of the GTV6.  Borla exhaust, sounded just right.  Great handling, balance, grace.  Used to be a customer of Accel Automotive in suburban Boston and they took great care of me.  They need attention and patience as you locate parts for them but nothing beats an Alfa.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 03:38:46 PM »
I had a 71 Spider (1750 mechanical FI).  It was really fun to drive, but.....

2nd gear was a heavy thing and if it was driven hard (ie fast shifts to second) the synchros would get eaten up.  The top leaked so it would collect water inside.  That would cause the pan to rust.

I think the GTV's of that era had the same transmission problem (and same engine).  Great little sedans.

I would go for the 80's era stuff.  GTV-6 if you want a sedan.

Don't know if they changed the ergos on the Spider over the years or not.  It was definitely an arms straight out with knees bent kind of position.  They also had really good heaters  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 04:11:09 PM »
 Quoted from Denise McCluggage . Remember to purchase the official Alfa Romeo repair kit .

A pick up truck full of money  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 04:14:24 PM »
I've only one experience. In my brief stint as an auto mechanic circa 1980, a customer brought in his new girlfriend's old Alpha Romeo.

She'd never performed any service on it, and he stuck around while we changed the oil.

The engine oil pan was this gorgeous casting with fins, about the size of a Guzzi gas tank. It took a dozen quarts of oil before it began to show on the stick. I thought that was pretty cool, but my boss wanted to know how long the car took to warm up in the morning.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Moto

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 04:17:53 PM »
I had a 71 Spider (1750 mechanical FI).  It was really fun to drive, but.....

2nd gear was a heavy thing and if it was driven hard (ie fast shifts to second) the synchros would get eaten up.  The top leaked so it would collect water inside.  That would cause the pan to rust.

I think the GTV's of that era had the same transmission problem (and same engine).  Great little sedans.

They were coupes -- two doors, not four. Here's a photo, mine looked just like this.

I used it for my daily commute over the whole length of Old Topanga Canyon Rd, down to Santa Monica Bay. I drove it like a race course, wildly. No one was killed. No doubt this colors my recollections.

It wasn't terribly reliable, though, and fixes involved trips to exotic car mechanics if I couldn't do it myself.

I sold it when I moved to the Great Frozen North. No doubt they're pricier now.

Moto

P.S. Rocker, of course you're right, the restyled Miata is sold as a Fiat.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 04:19:43 PM by Moto »

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 05:07:39 PM »
They were coupes -- two doors, not four. Here's a photo, mine looked just like this.

I used it for my daily commute over the whole length of Old Topanga Canyon Rd, down to Santa Monica Bay. I drove it like a race course, wildly. No one was killed. No doubt this colors my recollections.

It wasn't terribly reliable, though, and fixes involved trips to exotic car mechanics if I couldn't do it myself.

I sold it when I moved to the Great Frozen North. No doubt they're pricier now.

Moto

P.S. Rocker, of course you're right, the restyled Miata is sold as a Fiat.

Never owned one but in my opinion one of the best looking Italian cars made.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 05:30:00 PM »
I owned an '81 Fiat X1/9 from new for seven years, and an '82 Lancia Beta Zagato for about six years starting in 1997. Contrary to popular belief, the X1/9 was less costly to own over that time than my buddy's Civic S. We bought them about a month apart for roughly the same cost both kept records - and my cost per mile was lower than his all in (except insurance, since he had an accident and a speeding ticket over me).

The Zagato was a bit more expensive, but still not too bad. A replacement convertible roof cost about $600, suspension costs were about normal, body work required in the rolling restore was not too bad. rust was limited (unlike most Betas, since the Zagato was more handbuilt).

Another buddy has owned an earlier 1300 Alfa coupe, and later on a GTV-6 Quadrifoglio - it took some attention but wasn't overly demanding considering it was a European sportscar/GT. Most people tend to forget the BMWs of that era also required some extra TLC, and Porsches were still a true cult.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline wildebube

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 05:44:03 PM »
A +1 to everything that's been said so far.  My Alfetta GT is really the only car I ever sold that I miss and would love to have back.  It was temperamental, it ate flex joints, and it was beautiful, (relatively) fast, balanced, and incredible to drive.  It made all the right sounds too.  It was motoring Nirvana.

The Spider could be wonderful too - on those all to rare days when the temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure were just right, when the moon was in the correct phase, when the Earth's axis was tilted just right, when there were exactly three sunspots, and several other parameters that I could never pin down.  Any other time it was a maintenance nightmare.  I think I spent more time under that car than in it.  Torsional stiffness was non-existent.  And like someone else said, it leaked like crazy whenever it rained.
Lee Norman
2016 V7 II Special

Offline craigclu

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 06:13:29 PM »
My short speech at my son's college graduation party:

Three things to get you through life.  First, never buy an Italian car....  Secondly, never fry bacon in the buff.....  I'll be damned if I can remember the third thing...  Go get 'em kid!

Grew up around Alfas and have mostly good memories, though.  The mechanical fuelies can be a challenge and people who truly understand them are fading away.
He who is without oil shall cast out the first rod...”-Detonations 5:72.

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 08:41:11 PM »
I've owned my '82 GTV6 for 11 years now. other than an intermittent speedometer, She's been trouble free. ( I did install a 3.0 Milano verde engine a couple of years ago because I couldn't pass up the deal, the original engine ran fine.) They are wonderful cars and I'd never sell mine.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Penderic

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 09:27:50 PM »
I saved this nice video link on Alfa obsession ..... Never Enough Alfa!  :thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx2sPfgqlkg

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 10:00:49 PM »
I've owned my '82 GTV6 for 11 years now. other than an intermittent speedometer, She's been trouble free. ( I did install a 3.0 Milano verde engine a couple of years ago because I couldn't pass up the deal, the original engine ran fine.) They are wonderful cars and I'd never sell mine.
That one looks sweet!  And with the 3.0...enjoy man!
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 10:34:07 PM »
My 1984 GTV-6.  I owned it from 1988 to 1993.  Cost as much in maintenance and repairs as I paid for the car!  Damn, but I loved it!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:34:44 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 04:42:28 AM »
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 07:57:28 AM by Dean Rose »
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Bill929

• Gaggle Hero
    • Finger, Nelson & Maguire, PLLC
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 09:05:52 AM »
My 1976 Spider was a maintenance nightmare, but a blast to drive and a real looker.  If I could one with modern (read reliable) mechanicals, I'd scoop one up immediately. 
Bill
Morriston, FL
Maidens, VA
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring
2019 Harley Davidson Roadster

Prior Guzzis:  1986 V65 Lario, 2001 EV, 2001 V11 Sport, 2003 Titanium, 2007 California Vintage, 1991 Lemans CI 1000

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 09:14:10 AM »
My 1976 Spider was a maintenance nightmare, but a blast to drive and a real looker.  If I could one with modern (read reliable) mechanicals, I'd scoop one up immediately.

Yeah.  I'm really liking the collaborative Mazda/Fiat Miata/124.

My Miata was great, but adding the Italian style on top would be really nice.

Current Alfas are just way out of my price range, though I think the 4C and the Guilia are great cars.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 10:06:04 AM »
Here's a Fiat seen at our Wheels of Italy get together last night. $29,000 on the sticker.  Wheels and tires are too tiny....that would be my first upgrade.

Here's my favorite concept photo of the Alfa.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:41:06 AM by John Ulrich »
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Lcarlson

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 10:44:37 AM »
My first new car was a 1969 Alfa Romeo Berlina (they were produced from 1968 - 1971, when the 2000 cc version was introduced). It was a four door sedan, and not nearly as good looking as the GTVs, but it was a wonderful driver's car.  It broke down the night that I picked it up -- had a defective American made capacitor. After that not many problems, and I recall it as one of the most fun cars I've owned. When I moved from Massachusetts to Virginia, I sold it due to lack dealer support at the time. Still miss it.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »
Here's a Fiat seen at our Wheels of Italy get together last night. $29,000 on the sticker.  Wheels and tires are too tiny....that would be my first upgrade.

Looks like a mid-line "Lusso". 

First time I've heard someone refer to 17-inch wheels as "tiny"...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 10:58:48 AM »
Looks like a mid-line "Lusso". 

First time I've heard someone refer to 17-inch wheels as "tiny"...

I was just on the Fiat site seeing what size they mount.  16" stock, 17" optional.  When you view the car from the side the wheels/tires are sitting inboard too far for my taste.  I like a big rim, skinny tire filling the wheel well with a suspension drop.    I'm a wheel guy! 

Check the look of this new Targa.

Compare the "look" of this GTV to the stock wheels on the one above.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:13:08 AM by John Ulrich »
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here