Author Topic: Is this a scam?  (Read 5386 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
Is this a scam?
« on: October 07, 2017, 06:43:41 PM »
Just this morning I put my 2013 V7 up for sale on Craigslist.  Already, I have a person wanting to buy it unseen by using paypal and claims that a mover will pick it up once funds are cleared.  Just smells fishy... am I being paranoid?  Or is this normal?

The buyer says he is purchasing the bike as a gift for his son... ?  Unseen?  Via PayPal?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:56:21 PM by vstevens »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Is this a scam?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 06:49:45 PM »
Your normal.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 06:53:54 PM »

Phishy,Phishy,Phishy................................ :copcar:

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 07:06:02 PM »
Yes it is.  Tell him cash on pickup.  If he says no, he is a scammer.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 07:06:02 PM »

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 07:06:58 PM »
Yes it is.  Tell him cash on pickup.  If he says no, he is a scammer.

Will do. 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 07:07:26 PM »
So far, on several lists on which I participate, EVERY time anyone asks "Is this a scam?" ...

.... it's a scam.

Not saying you shouldn't ask or get the word around, but yes, it's always a scam!   Just yesterday had to cancel my credit card (first time in 11 years) .... someone got the number, used it to set up an Uber account, put $7.50 on it to see it if was real, I spotted it within 30 minutes, called it in, we cancelled it, then 45 minutes later someone tried a $788 charge for a "gift.com" gift card ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 07:17:37 PM »
So far, on several lists on which I participate, EVERY time anyone asks "Is this a scam?" ...

.... it's a scam.

Not saying you shouldn't ask or get the word around, but yes, it's always a scam!   Just yesterday had to cancel my credit card (first time in 11 years) .... someone got the number, used it to set up an Uber account, put $7.50 on it to see it if was real, I spotted it within 30 minutes, called it in, we cancelled it, then 45 minutes later someone tried a $788 charge for a "gift.com" gift card ....

Lannis

Wow... I wonder if the big equifax hack will lead to an explosion of these scammers... I hope not, but my guard is up. 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 07:26:09 PM »

Wow... I wonder if the big equifax hack will lead to an explosion of these scammers... I hope not, but my guard is up.

Could be.   Someone got Yahoo's kimono open the other week too.   

I probably do 500 credit card transactions a year, in person and on line.   I'm just surprised it doesn't happen more often .... !

Lannis

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 07:26:51 PM »
Not a bad idea to put a lock on your credit from all 3 agencies...that way you'll be notified whenever someone also wants to open an account in your name if they have scammed your SSN.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 07:55:32 PM »
Well, maybe.

I bought my T5 sight unseen.  I did call the guy and talk to him a couple of times.  Then paid with Paypal and had a mover pick it up.

Using Paypal is the best way to make remote transactions as far as I'm concerned.  Neither party sees the other's bank account info.

Now, if the guy offered to send you a check for twice the amount so you could pay for shipping, then I'd run.

Tell the guy to call you (if you put a phone number in the listing).

PS when doing transactions like this I make a new Paypal account for just this transaction.  I even make a new email account for it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 07:56:48 PM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 08:45:15 PM »
I've got to say, I bought my V7 from the midwest on a deep craigslist search, and I'm in Massachusetts.  We emailed, some photos, and used an escrow service for the payment (which is often it's own scam too, not sure I'd do that again)  and a shipper to move the bike.

In the end it worked out, only because each of us was honest.  We each got lucky.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 09:44:49 PM »
I thought that pay pal was a safe way to pay?  Don't they inform you when they have the money? sounds OK to me.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 10:31:54 PM »
As far as I know, once the money has been deposited in your paypal acct, the transaction can't be cancelled.

Have the guy call you and let us know how that goes.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 10:42:38 PM »
Just this morning I put my 2013 V7 up for sale on Craigslist.  Already, I have a person wanting to buy it unseen by using paypal and claims that a mover will pick it up once funds are cleared.  Just smells fishy... am I being paranoid?  Or is this normal?

The buyer says he is purchasing the bike as a gift for his son... ?  Unseen?  Via PayPal?

If you have it listed on Craigslist for $5000 then it is probably a scam.  Tread carefully.  There are people who have plenty of money, but it is not like your bike is rare or a bargain. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 07:05:21 AM »
In the end it worked out, only because each of us was honest.  We each got lucky.

And because of that, despite buying 33 bikes over the years, I've discovered that there's no motorcycle on earth that I want bad enough to buy it from a complete stranger .... !

Lannis

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 07:12:53 AM »
I hit both of my Quota's and the V11 Tenni unseen. Just bunch of pictures.
Then again, to know for real if the guy actually had the Tenni... I asked him to take a picture of it with frying pan on the bike seat. He was quite puzzled, but I got the picture and money changed hands.

I would not hesitate to buy from Craigslist, but only after several verifications and discussions on phone.
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

bpreynolds

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 07:49:55 AM »

.... it's a scam.

Lannis

This. :1:

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 09:14:35 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I asked the prospective buyer to provide a full name, address, drivers license number and the state issued.  Offered to talk on the phone.  Haven't heard from him (her) again.  I thanked the person for their interest and declared I was not comfortable with the direction of the transaction.  Doubt I'll hear from him again

Anyway, I'm not in a hurry to sell.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 09:30:40 AM »
If you receive money by PayPal, deliver the motorcycle, and the "buyer" claims he never received it, it's possible that PayPal will take the money back from your account.  That's one reason the push so hard for you to have a bank account linked to your PayPal account. 

On the other hand, I would not give out my driver's license number over the phone to a seller.  That's a big piece of my identity.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 09:31:42 AM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 09:33:04 AM »
It may just be my imagination, but it seems to me that the prevalence of online scams is on the rise. Not just on sites like Craigslist, but on other, brand specific sites like IBMWR.org, Moto Brick and others.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 10:03:22 AM »
The Buyer just sent me a message regarding the purchase of the bike in question.  They said payment should be forwarded to you soon.  You are to contact me via W.G. with your complete name and address so I can pick the bike up.  Please have all paper work in order.  The transfer will go smoothly and without interruption.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 10:15:49 AM »
Out of state buyers for me is cash.

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2017, 10:39:56 AM »
Paypal can be a very safe way to buy and sell, but it is especially safe for a buyer. It can be a bit problematic for the seller though (especially if you are the scammer). If you, as a buyer, ever have problems, you can file a complaint with Paypal, and the seller must respond positively. They will review the responses from buyer and seller and either allow the transaction to proceed, or will shut it down and return the money to the buyer. 4 times now over the past 5 years I have had buyers complain to Paypal because the second package of a 2 package shipment did not arrive promptly with the first package (mostly from international shipments... some people have no patience!). In all the cases, I was able to provide a tracking number, but in one case, I was on vacation and responded late... Paypal took my money, even though the shipment was eventually all delivered. I was lucky to be dealing with an honest fellow, and he simply made another payment to me at my request. (WHEW!). I am not sure how it would be possible for someone to scam you with a Paypal payment and the following pickup by the carrier, as long as you have the carrier sign that it was indeed picked up... with documentation as to who the carrier is. Credit cards are terrible, as are certified checks of any kind, if someone wants to scam you. But I would not hesitate to take Paypal if you just document it. If I receive credit card info from some foreign country, a quick call to the credit card customer service will verify if it is legit. But scammers don't use Paypal (that I have experienced) because of the 'on top of it' nature of Paypal itself... they protect their customers, both buying and selling. I rejoice whenever an individual will take Paypal, even if it is fishy, for a quick complaint to Paypal gets a refund if justified. I just bought a windshield for my V9 from a guy that PM'd me out of the blue. He offered the like new windshield for cheap. I don't even know the guys name, or where he is... just his email. I sent him $100 via Paypal, and all worked out fine. Identification, license numbers, names, etc, are irrelevant.  For me, Paypal is golden. That being said, I would be interested to hear if anyone has ever been 'scammed' via Paypal, or the negative comments one sometimes hears concerning Paypal are from just the unknowing.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 11:01:55 AM by Lee Davis »
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »
The Buyer just sent me a message regarding the purchase of the bike in question.  They said payment should be forwarded to you soon.  You are to contact me via W.G. with your complete name and address so I can pick the bike up.  Please have all paper work in order.  The transfer will go smoothly and without interruption.

What is W.G.? 

Tread cautiously.  If anything feels like it is too one sided to your benefit it is probably a scam. 

Do you still have theft insurance on the bike?  I wonder how that works if you give the bike over to someone?
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2017, 02:41:17 PM »
What is W.G.? 

Wildgoose Guzzi I believe.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 06:52:40 PM »
If a legitimate buyer pays with Paypal, and sends someone to collect the bike, how is that one sided?  Also... how many out there have been the recipient of a true scam attempt? I have been, at least a half dozen times in my business.  Fortunately I have never been taken... but they sure tried. Several times I have received cashier's checks drawn on Bank of America that were bad. 4 times I took credit card numbers that turned out to be from stolen credit cards. In most cases, the 'buyer' wants you to send funds for shipping via Western Union, after you have been "paid".  Asking for funds to be sent back to the 'buyer' is a sure sign of a scam, for that is exactly the way that the scammer gets any money.  As I mentioned before, Paypal is a golden way to transact a deal, because when a person sends you money via Paypal, they have to have the funds in their account in advance. It is a definite payment, and you definitely have the money. How can that be scammed?
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2017, 07:25:17 PM »
 There are phony "paypal" accounts out there to get you. I've been sent emails asking for Paypal updates on my bank account that were not from the real Paypal but they go to great lengths to look legit. I contacted Paypal and forwarded all to their fraud dept. Be Veewry Careful  :police:

Paul B
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2017, 08:18:44 PM »

" ...They said payment should be forwarded to you soon.  You are to contact me via W.G. with your complete name and address so I can pick the bike up.  Please have all paper work in order.  The transfer will go smoothly and without interruption....."

The language, syntax, and rhythm of this here sounds JUST like a scammer.   Does anyone involved with WildGuzzi actually sound like that?

It may be OK, you'd know better than I, but if it was just me dealing with someone writing like that, I'd be running the other way fast ....

Lannis

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2017, 10:16:17 PM »
If a legitimate buyer pays with Paypal, and sends someone to collect the bike, how is that one sided?  Also... how many out there have been the recipient of a true scam attempt? I have been, at least a half dozen times in my business.  Fortunately I have never been taken... but they sure tried. Several times I have received cashier's checks drawn on Bank of America that were bad. 4 times I took credit card numbers that turned out to be from stolen credit cards. In most cases, the 'buyer' wants you to send funds for shipping via Western Union, after you have been "paid".  Asking for funds to be sent back to the 'buyer' is a sure sign of a scam, for that is exactly the way that the scammer gets any money.  As I mentioned before, Paypal is a golden way to transact a deal, because when a person sends you money via Paypal, they have to have the funds in their account in advance. It is a definite payment, and you definitely have the money. How can that be scammed?

They can attach a credit card to paypal.  That is what I do.  I don't have funds drawn from my bank account.  I did eventually link my account though so that I could be "verified". 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2017, 10:18:33 PM »
There are phony "paypal" accounts out there to get you. I've been sent emails asking for Paypal updates on my bank account that were not from the real Paypal but they go to great lengths to look legit. I contacted Paypal and forwarded all to their fraud dept. Be Veewry Careful  :police:

Paul B

Don't ever click on a link sent in an email from a potential buyer or seller.  That is how they get you to a fake site.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here