General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

now the fun begins

<< < (2/3) > >>

guido guzzi:
Curious as to what markings you find near the headstock of the frame.  :popcorn:

guzzista:

--- Quote from: czakky82 on October 17, 2022, 04:34:15 AM ---Looks like wrong pistons. V7 sport pistons are 4mm higher.

--- End quote ---
I mentioned that I was considering  a short stroke (bigger bore) engine in my original post.The pistons in the pic are Arias/ Rennsport 89mm
 forged pistons  originally for 78mm cranks bolted to a 70mm ( (V7S  crank) and  that is  why they are 4mm below deck. The next step is to either fit 144mm rods as in Griso/ Stelvio/Norge, or bite the bullet and do a HMB kit with specific pistons.

--- Quote from: guido guzzi on October 17, 2022, 03:42:31 PM ---
Curious as to what markings you find near the headstock of the frame.  :popcorn:

--- End quote ---
The marking  below the headstock is from an impact, but so far, the timing cover and lower rails bolt up OK, the headstock shows no buckling or visible bends and the straight edge is  good  on either downtube...When the triple trees and a wheel gets mocked up, I hope there will be no surprises . Pic pf the dent below

Antietam Classic Cycle:

--- Quote from: guzzista on October 17, 2022, 08:49:32 PM ---I mentioned that I was considering  a short stroke (bigger bore) engine in my original post.The pistons in the pic are Arias/ Rennsport 89mm
 forged pistons  originally for 78mm cranks bolted to a 70mm ( (V7S  crank) and  that is  why they are 4mm below deck. The next step is to either fit 144mm rods as in Griso/ Stelvio/Norge, or bite the bullet and do a HMB kit with specific pistons.  The marking  below the headstock is from an impact, but so far, the timing cover and lower rails bolt up OK, the headstock shows no buckling or visible bends and the straight edge is  good  on either downtube...When the triple trees and a wheel gets mocked up, I hope there will be no surprises . Pic pf the dent below

--- End quote ---

Interested about the Griso, etc. rods. I'll file that away for future reference.

I don't see a steering stop - is that intact?

guido guzzi:
Should have been more clear... What stamped markings are on the right side of the steering head, if any?
My U.S. model, December '72  build date has DGM .....and  VK *        *  - no numbers in between the stars. Euro models will have the frame number between the **
CrMo frames are pretty rare...

guzzista:

--- Quote from: guido guzzi on October 19, 2022, 04:13:14 PM ---Should have been more clear... What stamped markings are on the right side of the steering head, if any?
My U.S. model, December '72  build date has DGM .....and  VK *        *  - no numbers in between the stars. Euro models will have the frame number between the **
CrMo frames are pretty rare...

--- End quote ---

The headstock would be for a US model as there are no numbers  between the "star" markings.
As far as the Chromoly being rare, Beretta ( the Boiler makers, not the gun ones) ran out of CrMo at some point so (thicker wall ) mild steel was used. As actual dates and numbers were not kept in terms of frame steel type, it is hard to say. This  frame, however  rings  differently ( higher pitch) than the T3 one I had in bare form so the possibility is pretty good. Cannot do a weight comparison at this point, but I will soon .

Now for the seized/ snapped off shock  bolts in the frame bosses , then it's time to get is blasted and decide whether to cerakote, paint or powder coat

t

--- Quote from: Antietam Classic Cycle on October 19, 2022, 10:01:55 AM ---

--- End quote ---
No, the steering stop was broken, just finished welding on a new tab

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version