General Category > General Discussion

calis, educate me please.

<< < (3/4) > >>

oldbike54:

--- Quote from: johnr on January 22, 2015, 05:07:24 PM ---Ahem. My Cali EVT hydro (or I should say ex-hydro) was 1st registered in 2002. It appears they were not yet available in the US at that time.

--- End quote ---

Well ... there is this . I've been called wrong , crazy , stupid , confused . but a friend here had an "02 Cali Special Sport Hydro .

Dusty

pehayes:

--- Quote from: cwiseman on January 22, 2015, 03:50:18 PM ---Am I the only guy who thinks those tubeless rims are ugly?

--- End quote ---

Side of the road in the middle of nowhere with rain in the way and with a screw through the tire.  The tubeless wheels suddenly look absolutely beautiful.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Steph:

--- Quote from: cwiseman on January 22, 2015, 03:50:18 PM ---Am I the only guy who thinks those tubeless rims are ugly?

--- End quote ---

I love the look of the early EV tubeless. Reminds me of Borrani alloy rims I had on a bike a long time ago.

fotoguzzi:

--- End quote ---
after a few years that steel rim w/tube will look perfectly crappy unless you go anal on care for them.. the first gen EV rims are aluminum and a hassle to clean but will last longer cosmetically..

and then there's this..
--- Quote from: pehayes on January 22, 2015, 05:27:48 PM ---Side of the road in the middle of nowhere with rain in the way and with a screw through the tire.  The tubeless wheels suddenly look absolutely beautiful.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

--- End quote ---
function over form rules.

johnr:
CRC, the following is a photo of a Hydro head.

Note that there is no lock nut and broken off adjuster above the push rods. On this one the recall HAS NOT been done.

If the one you are looking at is like the one above, frankly, considering the trouble and probably expense you are going to have to go to I would be inclined to leave it alone.

Having said that I'm of the impression that a hydro engine that was sorted before it clapped out  is a fine tractable beast. Quiet too. I certainly liked mine until it clapped out. (Failed because the recall had not been done). They do have a lot to recommend them.

You need also to be pedantic about putting in the correct grade of oil with them though. 5w40 full synthetic. (though I used 5w60 in mine.)

If you do a search on this site for "Hydro Recall" you will find a lot of info about all this in previous threads. Like this one;

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=71068.msg1104503#msg1104503

or this.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=67115.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version