General Category > General Discussion

Road Salt

(1/9) > >>

Cheese:
Road Salt. Helps keep people from running into others or off the road completely. Prematurely rusts cars. What's the age of your daily driver cage? How's it look? Mines an '04 Ranger with 220000miles. Spare tire fell off last week due to rust, passenger door rusted (holed) along bottom, gas tank straps rusted off, tail gate rotted, still has original exhaust. Does this happen near oceans too?

Bored,
Peter

Gliderjohn:
Live in the middle of Kansas and we do get some salted roads. To me rusting varies greatly from vehicle to vehicle brand and years. My current work car is a 2001 Accord with 219K. It is garaged but only gets washed about five or six times a years and never waxed and it does not have a spot of rust anywhere. Same for my Nissan PU which is a 1997 model, NEVER garaged, rarely washed and never waxed and it has no rust at all. I have seen other brands that are quite a bit newer with noticeable rust, especially pickups.
GliderJohn

Cheese:

--- Quote from: Cheese on February 19, 2015, 09:40:20 AM ---Road Salt. Helps keep people from running into others or off the road completely. Prematurely rusts cars. What's the age of your daily driver cage? How's it look? Mines an '04 Ranger with 220000miles. Spare tire fell off last week due to rust, passenger door rusted (holed) along bottom, gas tank straps rusted off, tail gate rotted, still has original exhaust. Does this happen near oceans too?

Bored,
Peter

--- End quote ---
Mine's not garaged and washed by the rain. Upstate NY.

Gian4:
I feel your salt pain.  I live in upstate NY too.  04 jeep fenders are rusting.  Not to hyjack the thread but does anyone have any ideas how effective those electronic anode rust inhibiting devices work.  I've read mixed reviews about them on line.
Gian4

Triple Jim:

--- Quote from: Cheese on February 19, 2015, 09:40:20 AM ---Does this happen near oceans too?
--- End quote ---

It sure does.  My inlaws live in North Myrtle Beach, SC.  My Father In Law had the fins of his aluminum radiator in his minivan disappear.  One year when I visited, he had bought a new lawn mower and gas grill.  It took only a couple years before they were junk.  The nails holding the Widow's Watch three stories up on the roof of his house rusted through and the deck blew off the roof in a storm, narrowly missing his parked cars below.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version