Author Topic: V85 – I suppose I am chopped liver?  (Read 4334 times)

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
V85 – I suppose I am chopped liver?
« on: June 24, 2019, 07:23:08 AM »
I’ve been riding bikes for longer than I care to remember, and Guzzi for almost the last 20 years, 3 years of Beemer excluded.
I’ve been a member of this forum since the days it still had the akward question-response shape (must have been end of 1990).
I own a V85 TT for 2 months now, rode 2/3 of this period (been abroad) and now have 3000 km+ in all sorts of conditions.  Alone, with pillion, all kinds of weather and terrain.
I’ve beenI praising the V85 endlessly, on almost all of its aspects, and given detailed riding reports.
And yet,  up to now,  I got no attention and no questions.
Every day, I'm reading people asking questions on things I already dealt with.
Fine with me, and really, really, don’t get me wrong – I really do NOT want attention.
(If you don’t believe that, that’s fine with me).
But I recently read a
report from a US countryman that everybody jumped on.
So, hence my question
Do you really need to live or ride in the Us or be a well known Australian to get read ont his board?
Don’t you trust my riding reports? ;-)
Fine with me.
Go out and ride the V85 yourself, extensively.
This thing might backfire on me when the V85 finally turns out to be a pita.
But up to now?
Great bike and certainly the best Guzzi I ever rode (And I rode a few) !
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 07:39:36 AM by frans belgium »
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V85 – I must be chopped liver
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 07:38:14 AM »
I think you need to post more pics!  :thumb:  :boozing:

But I'm all ears.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 07:40:25 AM »
How comfortable is the seat and do you like riding with a passenger for extended distances?

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V85 – I suppose I am chopped liver?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 07:51:11 AM »
I don't recall reading any detailed ride reports from you?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 07:51:11 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 08:15:58 AM »
 Of course we trust you Frans , although like Cam I don't remember any detailed report from you , could be lost in the shuffle . Now is you chance to enlighten us  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 08:25:30 AM »
I'm glad it's everything you hoped it would be. I think it is a well thought out and executed design. Seems Aprilia's influence will continue to be a good thing for the brand,
(fingers crossed)  It's funny, your observation regarding the forum responses, reminds me of when the 1400's first hit the sight.  There was very little mentioned of a really huge shift for MG design. It wasn't until one had a glitch that people started chiming in. Seems most people prefer to comment on a brands flaws way more than it's successes on these forums. And I don't think that's all bad intentions, probably the opposite, around here anyway. This seems to largely be a group of folks who truly want to help  others  in any way they can. Many here are severely mechanically inclined and enjoy the challenge of helping to solve problems simply by sharing their knowledge and experience. I think that's why so many more responses pour into problem related threads vs ones full of great news.  I will just add that it's nice to see  members here ,like yourself ,with a long history of motorcycling and having owned many geese and other brands giving such high marks to the new 85.

For me personally my square fin 850 is my favorite  Guzzi motor to date. I can only imagine how much better the new motor must be. I hope to get a test ride soon but in the meantime I have really valued all of you v85 owners sharing your reviews , even if this is my first reply.  Please keep them coming!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:47:15 AM by lucian »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 08:31:01 AM »
Don't take it personal. Nobody reads or comments on anything I post either <shrug> I like the V85 but I know I won't be getting one so therefore I don't have much to say.

Keep posting, why not??
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:02:26 AM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 08:43:12 AM »
I enjoy reading your posts.   

Some of the big fish in our little pond, post a lot,  we all know their names, nothing wrong with that.   Frans, I think your stuff get read a lot more than you think.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

elvisboy77

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 09:09:54 AM »
I’ve been riding bikes for longer than I care to remember, and Guzzi for almost the last 20 years, 3 years of Beemer excluded.
I’ve been a member of this forum since the days it still had the akward question-response shape (must have been end of 1990).
I own a V85 TT for 2 months now, rode 2/3 of this period (been abroad) and now have 3000 km+ in all sorts of conditions.  Alone, with pillion, all kinds of weather and terrain.
I’ve beenI praising the V85 endlessly, on almost all of its aspects, and given detailed riding reports.
And yet,  up to now,  I got no attention and no questions.
Every day, I'm reading people asking questions on things I already dealt with.
Fine with me, and really, really, don’t get me wrong – I really do NOT want attention.
(If you don’t believe that, that’s fine with me).
But I recently read a
report from a US countryman that everybody jumped on.
So, hence my question
Do you really need to live or ride in the Us or be a well known Australian to get read ont his board?
Don’t you trust my riding reports? ;-)
Fine with me.
Go out and ride the V85 yourself, extensively.
This thing might backfire on me when the V85 finally turns out to be a pita.
But up to now?
Great bike and certainly the best Guzzi I ever rode (And I rode a few) !

I have REALLY enjoyed your posts on the V85, it is encouraging me to take a look at one, so I am grateful and hope you will provide more info as you ride it.  It does sound like a home run for Guzzi, which is cool!

And as others have said, I think a lot of this board focuses on negatives or failures rather than positives, not sure what that is about but I do enjoy the posts that say something positive about the brand.

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 09:51:16 AM »
I think it has a lot to do with the number of posts. F B has just over 1000. The more frequent posters have 10X or 20X or more than that, so they're just better known.

Rich A

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 09:55:04 AM »

I have REALLY enjoyed your posts on the V85, it is encouraging me to take a look at one, so I am grateful and hope you will provide more info as you ride it.  It does sound like a home run for Guzzi, which is cool!

And as others have said, I think a lot of this board focuses on negatives or failures rather than positives, not sure what that is about but I do enjoy the posts that say something positive about the brand.

VERY TRUE^^^a negative post will go on forever! I have to come up with one now and then to see if my computer works  :grin: :grin: :grin:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 11:02:50 AM »
Write about Belgium beer, you will get loads of replies.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 12:08:29 PM »
What is a V85 ?

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 12:12:09 PM »
Jeez, that’s not what I thought it would be Frans.
I feared it may have been a comment on how you seemed to have been discarded by me on the Thursday because events transpired to make an arrival impossible.
I’m glad it was not...
Peter.

Online Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 12:51:04 PM »
I went back and looked at your posts Frans and yes you do post about how great the V85 is and I don't know why that isn't commented upon as much as other reports.  I believe you (and need to since mine should be in my hands within two weeks) and appreciate what you find with the bike and second the comment about more pictures  :gotpics:

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 12:53:09 PM »
I think you need to post more pics!  :thumb:  :boozing:

I like pictures  :gotpics: :gotpics: :gotpics:
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 01:16:06 PM »
Frans, I enjoyed your detailed write-up on the V85 in the threadfest and glad you posted it.  More evidence that Guzzi is building a bike people like.  I didn't reply, because I've got no plans to buy one (yet) and I didn't have any questions.  Maybe it didn't get as much attention because it was in 55 pages of other posts?  I don't know.  Still it's good information.

Here's hoping your liver heals!   :boozing:   

and yet another vote for  :gotpics:
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 01:30:30 PM »
Once we actually take possession of our bikes in the USA,  then the comments will flow.  Getting close.  Rest assured your posts have been read.
Speaking of red, mine is the red and white as well.  So, we have at least that much in common, oh yeah, and both in our middle 60's. 

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 02:03:18 PM »
Oooops.  Almost forgot.  I do have a question for you. Have you had the opportunity to confirm that the red/white ones are actually the fastest compared to the other colors? 

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 02:34:32 PM »
Oooops.  Almost forgot.  I do have a question for you. Have you had the opportunity to confirm that the red/white ones are actually the fastest compared to the other colors?

Hope so, that's the one I'm waiting on too.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 01:33:41 AM »
How comfortable is the seat and do you like riding with a passenger for extended distances?

Stock seat is impeccable and my long term companion (wife) says she feels like being in her sofa at home (her words, not mine).  Best pillion seat ever  for her.  I DID have the pillion rests swapped for the Wunderlich pegs I had on my Bmw.  These are adjustable.  They are put a bit higher and slightly more forward, which makes it easier for the pillion to mount (especially with all the cases) and her toes don't get in the way of  my heels. Hours of uninterrupted riding.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 01:37:17 AM by frans belgium »
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 01:39:30 AM »
Jeez, that’s not what I thought it would be Frans.
I feared it may have been a comment on how you seemed to have been discarded by me on the Thursday because events transpired to make an arrival impossible.
I’m glad it was not...
Peter.
:grin:

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 01:43:32 AM »
Everybody wants pics?

upload images

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2019, 01:53:15 AM »
Write about Belgium beer, you will get loads of replies.

My favorite

Offline Glawster

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2019, 02:01:13 AM »
Hi Franz,
Glad to hear that you are happy with your V85.  I got one last week and have put 450 miles on so far.  I would agree with all your sentiments.  I'm particularly impressed with the ride / handling package on the usual  bumpy UK roads.  For me the only downside is that the gearbox is a bit clonky around town.  But then it's shaft drive and I suppose that's the trade off.  Once out of town it's fine.
Where are you in Flanders Franz?  I have customers in Waregem and Deinze who I'm planning to visit next week. 

20190619_203706 by Derek0812, on Flickr

1955 Falcone Sport
1973 V7 Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1955 Moto Parilla Turismo Special

Online Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 02:42:03 AM »
Nice photos frans and Glawster!  Thanks for them.  Based on your comments frans I'm guessing you find the stock screen adequate for your riding?  I'm going to leave off buying the taller touring screen as I want to see how the stock screen performs and what other companies come up with if I need to change the stock one out.

Online steffen

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2019, 03:16:04 AM »
I enjoy reading your posts.   

Some of the big fish in our little pond, post a lot,  we all know their names, nothing wrong with that.   Frans, I think your stuff get read a lot more than you think.
+1

And I have tried the v85 and agree, it's a very nice bike, and I really want it, but I just can't let my Griso go (and I want juste one bike, as I ride too little jo justify being a multibike-owner)...
If the v85 had 110 bhp and 17 inch wheels, the griso would be gone, though...

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2019, 03:44:13 AM »

Where are you in Flanders Franz?  I have customers in Waregem and Deinze who I'm planning to visit next week. 

You've got mail ...

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2019, 03:48:42 AM »
Based on your comments frans I'm guessing you find the stock screen adequate for your riding? 

Stock screen is fine with me.  But I'm only 1.72 m and barn door screens never were my thing.
The only Guzzi stock screen that I was happy with, was the one on my Norge.
The V85 screen is good enough, keeps the pressure off the chest and shoulders and no buffetting, which is the most important for me.
Now and then you meet a kamikaze fly that splatters all over your helmet visor, though ;-)

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2019, 03:53:29 AM »
Hi Franz,
For me the only downside is that the gearbox is a bit clonky around town.

Yes, it can be clunky, especially 1-2-3 up.
If you shift very carefully, exactly at the sweet spot, you might get lucky.
But that does not particularly bother me, as otherwise it shifts quite smoothly.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here