Author Topic: Made the same mistake again this year  (Read 997 times)

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
Made the same mistake again this year
« on: June 27, 2019, 08:21:34 AM »
Probably about 6 years in a row now, you would think I would finally get smarter and not do it.

It always starts the same way, I see other bikes listed in the Swap (Sport 1200s, V11 Sports, V11 Lemans, etc.) I see new Calis with some incredible prices.

Then it happens, I write up the listing for the Centauro, listing out all the spares, HB racks, Ventura system 3 exhaust systems, 3 seats, GT shield, etc...

I say to myself it's for the best, I like the feel of the big 1100 cali better for my older style of riding and it's the two-up bike for the occasional ride Cheryl might go on.

Then I move the bikes in the garage so I can take some new outside pictures of the Centauro for the listing.

Then I make the same mistake. I take it for a ride and the motor spins like a beast, It effortlessly leans into turns. It quickly finds 7000rpm when grabbing the handful of throttle the Cali needs. It puts a big f-ing smile on my face. I bring it home and rearrange the bikes so it's back in the first position ready for the next ride and wonder what the hell was I thinking.

1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: Made the same mistake again this year
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 08:25:07 AM »
 :thumb:
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 08:37:33 AM »
 :grin: Grins are invaluable.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 10:18:09 AM »
 Contact me next Spring , I'll talk some sense to ya   :grin:

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 10:18:09 AM »

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 10:31:53 AM »
Seems to me you have the correct motorbikes in the garage :bow:

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 10:33:35 AM »
Probably about 6 years in a row now, you would think I would finally get smarter and not do it.

It always starts the same way, I see other bikes listed in the Swap (Sport 1200s, V11 Sports, V11 Lemans, etc.) I see new Calis with some incredible prices.

Then it happens, I write up the listing for the Centauro, listing out all the spares, HB racks, Ventura system 3 exhaust systems, 3 seats, GT shield, etc...

I say to myself it's for the best, I like the feel of the big 1100 cali better for my older style of riding and it's the two-up bike for the occasional ride Cheryl might go on.

Then I move the bikes in the garage so I can take some new outside pictures of the Centauro for the listing.

Then I make the same mistake. I take it for a ride and the motor spins like a beast, It effortlessly leans into turns. It quickly finds 7000rpm when grabbing the handful of throttle the Cali needs. It puts a big f-ing smile on my face. I bring it home and rearrange the bikes so it's back in the first position ready for the next ride and wonder what the hell was I thinking.

Hi Joliet Jim - I understand your situation completely.... :cool:

I've owned five (5) Guzzi's in my time:  '78 850 Le Mans...'83 850 Le Mans...'02 V11 Le Mans...'93 SP1000-III...and now, my '98 Centauro GT.  The Centauro GT, hands down, is my all time favorite Guzzi. :thumb: :cool:

Ergonomically, it fits me well...the engine is "The Beast"...it has superb handling / braking capabilities...and it can be ridden comfortably for 400-500 miles for an overnight trip.  Best of all...it is RARE, (about 245 made of the GT), and is not mainstream...

What's not to like? :wink: :cool: :thumb: - "The Yellow Horse..."

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 11:01:47 AM »
The same scenario happens every spring here also.  I will gas up the candidate for the auction block and ride it to make sure all is in order.   After the ride I know it's not happening.  Last summer I actually did sell one but ended up bringing 3 home after.  Not a well executed inventory reduction plan!
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline Deno

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 01:32:28 PM »
I have the exact same problem with trying to sell my Centauro. I take it out and wonder why am I thinking this way.
I had two and was able to part with one of them. Unfortunately life issues are making me rethink my "The boys can figure out what to do with this stuff" attitude, and I must reduce the tangle of cars, bikes, and spares. My tolerant wife is in agreement with buying something newer and more universal. At the end of the day I will still have too much junk but hopefully it will be less than it is now.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 01:37:45 PM »
Got the same engine in my Australia sadly in bits chaisng oil pressure problems

When that bad boy RS engine is on song there is no Guzzi I have ridden that is like it, it's just a beast.

Keep it even if you only ride it once a season, the grin stays on my face for weeks

It's also a nice looking bike too IMHO (my fave naked after the Griso, neither of which I'll ever own unfortunately)

John

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 06:30:40 PM »
I have no idea what you're talking about.......... :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 06:57:22 PM »
I have no idea what you're talking about.......... :grin:

hmm I'll be out in the island of guzzis in 3 weeks
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 07:19:04 PM »
I haven't done an inventory in awhile.  :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 08:25:19 AM »
This thread has got me to thinking about what my favourite Guzzi has been. And it wasn't hard.

My favourite was a modified 1982 Le Mans III. I got it as an Italian import that had been used for racing, but was back in road trim. It had a big bore kit (950), high compression pistons, 40mm carbs, with the pumps blanked off, extended sump, all gear timing, and a lovely matt black exhaust system. I loved it with a passion, and assumed I would grow old with it. Sadly it did not survive the impact with a car in a Brixton bus-lane, although the engine went on to power a three wheeler. The insurance payout went towards my very first Speed Triple, which started a whole new love affair....

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 01:45:27 PM »
Centaro: the motorcycle version of “the mistake by the Lake”.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here