Author Topic: (NGC) - Great find on old binoculars today.  (Read 853 times)

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
(NGC) - Great find on old binoculars today.
« on: June 27, 2019, 05:38:16 PM »
Found these binoculars at an estate sale today. Paid eight dollars for them. They were filthy as was the case. The lens have cleaned up fine with no apparent damage of any kind. Need to work on cleaning the exterior. Every once in awhile you find the nut.

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Re: (NGC) - Great find on old binoculars today.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 05:47:21 PM »
Zeiss is neiss ...
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 06:14:32 PM »
Oh, jeeese..  :grin: I've heard about that Zeiss guy.. $8?? Buddy, they hosed you. <shaking head and shuffling off>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 08:22:17 PM »
Now that's a good deal!

I have my Dad's  Bausch and Lomb Mark 28 Mod 0 7x50 binoculars from his WWII service in the Western Pacific.   Sent them off a couple years ago to be disassembled, cleaned, re-aligned, and painted.   They're a pleasure to use, and the separate-focusing lenses for each side suit my odd vision just fine.

Lots of light-gathering capability - the magnification of a 7 x 50 doesn't swamp out the ability of the objective to gather light, so they work very well at night.

Sometimes I hold them up and scan the horizon and imagine doing it for hours at a time at sea, looking for a tiny periscope or wisp of smoke or speck in the sky, knowing that my life and everyone's aboard could be at stake ... I wouldn't like that very much.

Of course, the Zeiss binoculars might have been used on the conning tower of a U-boat to look for similar things .... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 08:22:17 PM »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 10:02:31 PM »
I finally broke down and retired my old Navy B&L 7x35s for some Leupold Mojave 10x42s. Good glass is worth the money, but who wouldn't love a windfall like eight dollar Zeiss binoculars?! Great find!
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 12:07:51 AM »
Oh, jeeese..  :grin: I've heard about that Zeiss guy.. $8?? Buddy, they hosed you. <shaking head and shuffling off>

Back in the day, I worked as a land surveyor. While Wild and Kern made the best theodolites back then, the hot surveyor's level were made by Zeiss. I happened to work on projects that required a lot of level work and I can say that those Zeiss levels were pretty darn good. Don't know anything about their binoculars, but I think you got a good deal. Don't think you got hosed!
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 06:18:01 AM »
Back in the day, I worked as a land surveyor. While Wild and Kern made the best theodolites back then, the hot surveyor's level were made by Zeiss. I happened to work on projects that required a lot of level work and I can say that those Zeiss levels were pretty darn good. Don't know anything about their binoculars, but I think you got a good deal. Don't think you got hosed!

Just a little facetiousness..  :smiley: Uh, yeah, Zeiss optics are fairly good.. I might even give John a chance to double his money if he wants to sell them.  :evil: :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 06:58:09 AM »
From Chuck:
I might even give John a chance to double his money if he wants to sell them.  :evil: :grin:

Maybe they will go up as a Cedar Vale auction item.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 03:07:10 PM »
Doing a little internet research, it appears this model was made between 1921 & 1936. The WWII followup military model had a center focus, these do not. It appears that they were very high quality for the day. Looks like prices for similar or poorer condition are ranging from $150 to $400. Think that I did good. Would be interesting to know the history behind them. The estate sale had one other pair that was a cheap brand and the center focus was not working, for $5, I passed.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 06:33:22 PM »
You got a great buy. They won't have modern coatings but the glass is as good as it gets.
1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Offline Robert

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 06:46:12 PM »
Due to 'lead-free' regs, (please excuse politically related content), some new glass is not as good as old glass.

Glass with lead in it is better, for optics purposes.

That is not an Optic Porpoise.

The Chinese ignore the lead regs;  so some of their cheap glass is pretty dang good.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here