Author Topic: Making my 96 Guzzi the way I want it  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Babookie

• New Egg
Making my 96 Guzzi the way I want it
« on: March 14, 2019, 09:23:26 PM »
Hi all; first post
I've bought a very rough 96 Cali and come back to Guzzi after a decade.
As it's rough and I'm on a very skinny budget, I'm trying to make it passable looks wise while keeping low cost.
Questions;
Does a Jackal single saddle fit straight on a Cali?
What's the best sites to go to for second hand parts?
Is there such a thing as aftermarket exhaust headers that are cost effective?
I used to have a Mk4 Le Mans for many years and over 200K, and I could always hear the tappets. I can hear them on the Cali too but its a 10 year younger model, this is still normal right? Or should I be taking the rocker covers off and checking my cams?
I'm not the world's best home mechanic, but I'm methodical with direction....

oldbike54

Re: Making my 96 Guzzi the way I want it
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 10:15:37 PM »
 Moved this to General Discussion , it will get more attention that way .

Dusty

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 11:53:05 PM »
My favorite sources for parts.
http://www.harpermoto.com/ - new and used parts
http://www.mgcycle.com/

1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Charles in Lake Charles

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 05:51:06 AM »
Try eBay for both new and used parts.

Watch the prices. They go from very reasonable to ridiculously high.
TOYS:
98 Yellow Centauro, 93 SPIII, 1978 LeMans,
1977 Convert, 1975 850-T (FOR SALE),
1985 Harley FLTC, 1985 K100RT
2001 Lees-ure Lite Camper,
1988 Mercedes 560SL

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 05:51:06 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 05:59:43 AM »
Can't say if the Jackal seat will fit, but ugh, you might want to look for other options. The stock Jackal seat might have been the single worst OEM seat I've ever had the displeasure to sit upon. I mean, so uncomfortable it literally made my nether region go numb at times.... that's just wrong. Even before I broke my tailbone snowboarding I didn't like it, but after I did the bike literally had to go. Of course you could use the pan and have someone rebuild the foam bla bla bla... but a better option has to be out there.

Headers? really, the pipes themselves. I don't think I've ever seen an aftermarket exhaust header pipe for a Cali. What's wrong with yours? You can get aftermarket mufflers and a crossover. Honestly the stock mufflers on my Jackal sounded and worked fine. They got a little throaty when I replaced the crossover (but I'm not sure if the crossover is as bad on the 96 I can't picture it).

Used parts - maybe Pinwall cycle, or as stated Ebay (you'll likely run into Pinwall there). Again, not many used parts sources, unless (and you said a budget but I'll mention it, but sometimes used Cali's are so cheap these days a PARTS BIKE might not be out of the question).

Tappets - "A tappy valve is a happy valve" - but yes, you should hear them. That said, I mean, if they ridiculous then by all means check them. It's not like it's difficult and it's something you're supposed to do at each service right?

Have fun.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 06:10:38 AM »
Hi all; first post
I've bought a very rough 96 Cali and come back to Guzzi after a decade.
As it's rough and I'm on a very skinny budget, I'm trying to make it passable looks wise while keeping low cost.
Questions;
Does a Jackal single saddle fit straight on a Cali?
What's the best sites to go to for second hand parts?
Is there such a thing as aftermarket exhaust headers that are cost effective?
I used to have a Mk4 Le Mans for many years and over 200K, and I could always hear the tappets. I can hear them on the Cali too but its a 10 year younger model, this is still normal right? Or should I be taking the rocker covers off and checking my cams?
I'm not the world's best home mechanic, but I'm methodical with direction....

First, welcome back.

I cannot speak to the saddle. I might suggest that you get in contact with some local Guzzisti, (if there are any), and if possible, try the seat on yours.

As for parts, two have already been mentioned. Also check out the classified section of this board as well. If you're looking for something in particular, someone may have stuff used. (Like the headers you mentioned.) If you want "cost effective", used will be the best way to go. There are aftermarket headers out there but there is no significant savings.

Yes, this bike will have solid lifters and will make noise. They still may be out of adjustment so checking them would still be a good idea. I would suggest you obtain a set of valve cover gaskets before you pull a valve cover. You may not need them, but you might.

Along the same line, I would get an oil pan gasket and oil filter so that can get changed as well.

John Henry

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 07:02:59 AM »
Any reason you want aftermarket headers?.  I just ask because the head pipes are just headpipes...  Not much to change. options for crossover pipe, and muffles are aplenty, if your looking for a little boost in power, and sound. Yes valves still adjust, and make noise... and yes you should check the adjustment on them.  Enjoy the project!
Paul B

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 07:24:19 AM »
The stock Jackal seat might have been the single worst OEM seat I've ever had the displeasure to sit upon. I mean, so uncomfortable it literally made my nether region go numb at times.... that's just wrong.

Brother Kev  :grin: is right. Rich Maund changed my 15 minute Jackal seat to an all day all night (Mary Anne) seat. I don't think he's doing them any more, though.
Yes, you should hear the valves, but you need to set them in a normal tuneup. You Shirley know all this stuff if you've ran an LM 4 for 200K? The 96 isn't really all that different..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 01:43:43 PM »
third Jackal owner to chime in here, with the same experience. Stock seat was not agreeable for extended periods. MG and Harper's, both linked above, do often sell used parts, and may even be worth a call if you don't see something available.

I have the seat shown in this pic. Can be used as a solo or with pillion. It's available.

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Babookie

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 08:47:13 PM »
Awesome, thank you for all the assistance. Have set the tappets and starting to get the ground in gunge off the engine. Proving to be mechanically really good but butt ugly.
Fixed rust in tank, stops leaking on my thigh now...
Header question was just based around the fact the headers are heavily corroded as is the crossover. Getting parts here in smalltown New Zealand isn't easy for Guzzi. I suspect the mufflers have been replaced recently as they are surprisingly very good.
Thank you for the assurances that the LM4 I had has no significant difference internally. We have no Guzzi dealership nearby and the closest only knows the newer models so I couldn't verify this easily. Google was useless too in this question.
Noted on the jackal seat comfort, will try a 'planB' with the current seat pan and a local upholsterer first.

Again, thanks everyone, I'm new to the site and it's excellent.
Cheers

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 09:42:01 AM »
Reboot Guzzi Spares has been a reliable source for used Guzzi spares for decades.   They are a salvage "bike breaker" outfit, a British couple resident in rural France.  Shipping costs France > New Zealand would likely be similar to US > NZ.

They have a large stock of parts for most Guzzi models, accumulated over years of breaking.

http://www.rebootguzzispares.com/index.html
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 09:59:43 AM »
I've gotten more sweet deals on parts just by asking on this forum than anywhere else. Most of us have crap lying around, if we can just find it  :wink:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 10:06:22 AM »

Header question was just based around the fact the headers are heavily corroded as is the crossover.....

I'm having the headers on my California EV ceramic coated for the same reason (@$100 USD),  haven't gotten them back yet, but seemed a better option than buying new ones... I'll let you know how they turn out.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here