Author Topic: Need stator for 98 EV  (Read 583 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Need stator for 98 EV
« on: October 27, 2021, 02:32:13 PM »
I posted on swap meet.  If you have one, please let me know.  Bike won't charge.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
Re: Need stator for 98 EV
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 05:10:38 PM »
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 05:11:02 PM »
Stator, or rotor?

Euromotoelectric carries them.

Edit: Shorty beat me by 20 seconds.  :evil:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 05:11:49 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 05:34:12 PM »
Theres a whole bunch of faults that occur with that charging system.
First of all the headlight and Tacho should be working.
Theres not a lot to fail in the stator, the wires sometimes snap off where they solder to the coils but its an easy job to solder some new ones on, I would make them a bit longer and crimp or solder them directly to the regulator yellow wires eliminating the bullet connectors.
You should be able to measure 30 - 60 Volts AC between the two yellow wires with the engine running at speed
Those regulators benefit from a better ground connection.
Check the diodes between each yellow and the red wires,

72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 05:34:12 PM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 05:48:20 PM »
Thanks guys.  I had no charge.  Left me stranded, got a new battery to get me home. 

I should've noticed that ALT light never worked when I took off.  Going down the road after 50+ miles, I thought I felt and ignition stutter for a few miles but it was quite windy.  Then the bike died, no dash lights whatsoever.  A Good Samaritan gave me a jump, said I should own a Harley (his dad owns the local dealer), thanked him and went a few miles to lunch.  It got me as far as WalMart (across parking lot from restaurant).   Tech says it's the Stator. 

BTW:
1.  Laptop died on Friday.
2.  EV died on Sunday.
3.  My AV Receiver glitched out and Sub Woofer died yesterday.   Have no idea why both happened.

Electricity  wow

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 08:43:15 PM »

BTW:
1.  Laptop died on Friday.
2.  EV died on Sunday.
3.  My AV Receiver glitched out and Sub Woofer died yesterday.   Have no idea why both happened.

Electricity  wow

It comes in 3's,,, your luck is ready to change, I'd buy a couple of loto tickets  :evil:

Not sure which charging R/R system is on that bike, but when my euromotoelectric PM?450 alternator stopped charging is was a simple disconnection of the wire sending the signal to the R/R, fwiw.

ps I agree, I'm getting better, but electrickery usually makes me weak in the knees  :rolleyes:

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 08:51:22 PM »
Thanks 80
John L 

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 07:00:23 AM »
Tech says it's the Stator.
What tech? As KR says, normally it's the rotor..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 07:35:12 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I haven't done more than asking if parts are available.  My original thought was that alternator was disconnected.  I've done no follow up than a brief call.   

In the meantime, I'll be preoccupied to deliver and install a receiver and then perhaps taking apart a subwoofer.  And like my replacement laptop, I only found one store location with a floor model that appealed to me.
John L 

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 07:43:46 AM »
Odds are it is the regulator. The regulators (and regulator connections) are the likely failure points on a 98. The stator is usually just a connector failure. It is really easy to test the stator with an ohmmeter and AC voltmeter.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 08:06:50 AM »
Odds are it is the regulator. The regulators (and regulator connections) are the likely failure points on a 98. The stator is usually just a connector failure. It is really easy to test the stator with an ohmmeter and AC voltmeter.

Presumably the stator has been tested.   I didn't expect that stator was the problem and my next question was whether the parts could be found.  Like you, it occurred to me initially that alternator had lost connection.   It would be great if a couple of wires could be soldered and fixed.  I've had regulator failure on my V11 Sport. 

Thanks Wayne and everyone for giving me some info for follow up when I find an opportunity. 
John L 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here