Author Topic: Motorcycle size, your size - public service announcement  (Read 2186 times)

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
Motorcycle size, your size - public service announcement
« on: October 10, 2019, 09:17:39 AM »
Earlier this year, when I was still working, I had a problem with motorcycle size.

Now after 4 months of Retirement and 6 months of diet I'm 25 lbs lighter.

My son's SRX-250 doesn't seem so small. 

My V-11 Lemans doesn't seem so big and heavy.

I still have another 40 lbs to go.

Maybe next year I'll try my son's cafe'd V50 again and see if it's as much fun as my old cafe'd 400F was.

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Motorcycle size, your size - public service announcement
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 10:52:54 AM »
 :thumb:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 11:03:48 AM »
Earlier this year, when I was still working, I had a problem with motorcycle size.

Now after 4 months of Retirement and 6 months of diet I'm 25 lbs lighter.

My son's SRX-250 doesn't seem so small. 

My V-11 Lemans doesn't seem so big and heavy.

I still have another 40 lbs to go.

Maybe next year I'll try my son's cafe'd V50 again and see if it's as much fun as my old cafe'd 400F was.

Good for you!   Always been a problem for me, that roller-coaster.    I've always envied (in at least this sense) guys who are built smaller and lighter than me and stay in shape.    A 5'8" guy with a 29 inch inseam and in the light welterweight class can choose from almost any motorcycle ever made and make it fly if he wants to.   Haven't been able to do that since I was 18 ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline wolfeguitars

• Jay Wolfe
  • New Egg
    • Wolfe Guitars
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 12:58:17 PM »
I'm 6'2" and 235 lbs and 74 years young. I'm very comfortable on my Cali EV1100 with it's cushy seat & upright position, likewise my "Standard" bike- Triumph T-Bird Sport. Couple of weeks back, as our Palm beach weather began to moderate some,  I unplugged my Ducati 851 from the battery tender to enjoy some miles on that beast. It's a race tuck position and folds me up, but I'm good for short duration rides. Nowhere near an ideal riding position for a guy my age & size.....BUT......t hat thing stirs my soul. Not many years left for me to enjoy such things, so I'll enjoy it as I can. I actually get used to the position after several runs, but I often wonder if it's time to let her go...….
   It'd be a sad day....
I ride to work, ride to eat, ride to nowhere for nothing.
* Moto Guzzi 2002 California 1100EV w/ Sidecar
* Ducati 1990 851
* Ducati 1993 900 Supersport

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 12:58:17 PM »

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 01:08:49 PM »
  A 5'8" guy with a 29 inch inseam and in the light welterweight class can choose from almost any motorcycle ever made and make it fly if he wants to.

That describes me. Out of curiosity I once searched for Italian demographics and learned that in 1970 the average Italian male was 5'8 and 150 lb, which explains a lot about Guzzi ergos of the era. On the other hand, we welterweights have an issue with dirt bikes and bigger "adventure" bikes. Takes a ladder to climb aboard and it's impossible to get a foot down when stopped. It took major surgery on my XR350 saddle to make it manageable and still had to zero out the preload.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 03:54:35 PM »
 I'm about 6  foot, 180 lbs in my leather jacket, boots and helmet...I prefer lighter bikes in the 430 pound range max...I can tolerate a 500 lbs machine if it's not too top heavy...

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 05:03:47 PM »
A 400F. Is that a Honda 400F? Sweet, sweet motorcycle.
1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 01:08:26 AM »

At 5'10" the Roamer seem like it was made for me personally !    :azn:    Its a little more than twice my weight but that works out just fine to .   At 66 years I don't want much more weight .   :wink:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 01:10:09 AM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 01:28:43 AM »
Great Wall of license plates MM.  I especially like the Nevada HWY 50.  How’d ya come by that one?
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 09:51:14 AM »
Well at 5'3" 130#, 28" inseam and age reducing my balance a bit I dropped my Norge at 0 mph I think 3 times and decided to get something different. I have a dirt bike background and GS/ Stelvio/ V85 TT/ Africa Twin/etc.. type bikes would be huge fun and I get it... but... living with that type bike as an only bike now just wouldn't work (maybe never would have). I looked hard at V7s and I like them...a lot... but I tow a trailer and wanted dual discs, ABS, and torque hence my Roadster with mods to make it work for me. I get motorcycle magazines and most bikes manufacturers make are just to tall for where I'm at these days. Cruiser style also does not work for me, 2 hours MAX with feet forward is all my back can take. All day with a slight forward lean and feet under me  :azn:. 5'8" and over IS the sweet spot for choices it seems, good for you all :thumb:
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 10:38:18 AM »
Might be worth the trouble to look hard for a roadworthy or made roadworthy T-3. I have both a T-3 and a Norge and the T-3 is much easier to push around, get on the center stand and get on and off of then the Norge. Also plenty of power for your purposes. Would not have ABS but it has a very good linked system and upgrade lighting if doing any traveling after dark.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 06:54:02 PM »
...sounds like a good project bike...obviously if the right one is found. I’ll keep my eyes and ears open for one. T3s are mid 70s vintage, correct? Thanks
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 07:55:35 PM »
Correct, mid-70s. The other caveat is that the chrome cylinders have been replaced. They are such a nicely balanced machine.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 08:39:18 PM »
I'm about 6  foot, 180 lbs in my leather jacket, boots and helmet...I prefer lighter bikes in the 430 pound range max...I can tolerate a 500 lbs machine if it's not too top heavy...

I guess that rules out Harley Davidsons "new" Road Glide Limited at 932 lbs!!  :shocked:

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 03:04:14 PM »
I am 5’10 and 199 in my riding gear.i bought a red/white v85 that  Italy made just for me(fits like a soft leather glove)— now if only someone would open up a dealership in no..

Offline severely

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 05:06:27 PM »
I'm 64 years at 225 nekkid, 6'1". I got up to 245 and thought I'm too young for this and just started eating fewer snacks at night helped me out. I'm going to restart my exercise program shortly and that should help. Hoping to get back around 200 eventually, took 10 years to gain the 50/55 lbs and I don't think it's going to hang around much longer. My bones don't hurt so much and have increased flexibility already motivates me a little more.  My 09 Stelvio fits like a glove and my 04 Breva 750 is a little tight but have GW footpegs and bar risers to open it up a little.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 05:09:37 PM by severely »

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2019, 11:15:08 AM »
Again, 5'8", 150 lb, 71 years old. The 850T fits well, the TR6R is perfect, the Mille feels heavy now but dropping the triple clamps half an inch and dialing out the preload on the rear shocks helps a lot -- makes it feel almost as agile as the T. Similarly, on the F650 I took out all the rear-end preload so I can put both feet down. On the dirt bike I'm still tippy-toe after the mods.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2019, 12:37:10 PM »
I am 5’10 and 199 in my riding gear.

You sure don't look that big in your picture.   Must be dense bone structure.   :wink:
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline philwarner

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2019, 01:17:07 PM »
Well at 5'3" 130#, 28" inseam and age reducing my balance a bit I dropped my Norge at 0 mph I think 3 times and decided to get something different. I have a dirt bike background and GS/ Stelvio/ V85 TT/ Africa Twin/etc.. type bikes would be huge fun and I get it... but... living with that type bike as an only bike now just wouldn't work (maybe never would have). I looked hard at V7s and I like them...a lot... but I tow a trailer and wanted dual discs, ABS, and torque hence my Roadster with mods to make it work for me. I get motorcycle magazines and most bikes manufacturers make are just to tall for where I'm at these days. Cruiser style also does not work for me, 2 hours MAX with feet forward is all my back can take. All day with a slight forward lean and feet under me  :azn:. 5'8" and over IS the sweet spot for choices it seems, good for you all :thumb:

My "new" 96 Cali has a custom seat because the PO was shorter than my 5-6 shrunken height.  I had read that anyone under 5-8 need not look at a Cali, but I can plant both feet flat from this one. (not on the center stand, of course)

My other ride is an 04 Triumph America that a similar sized fellow set up for himself and it fits me well.  It's secret is a Corbin seat with a backrest that is a pleasure to ride, although it did take my feet a couple of months to automatically find the forward pegs.  It feels like you ride "in" it as opposed to the Cali's "on" it jockey riding position.

1996 California 1100 carb
in Northwest Arkansas

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here