Author Topic: NGC: Favorite Offbeat Musicians  (Read 12071 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC: Favorite Offbeat Musicians
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2019, 05:45:17 PM »
https://youtu.be/Cx8qITIIRiU

Nothing offbeat about Charles Bradley.   He didn't catch on until well in 60s.  RIP Charles.  A great one.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 05:47:56 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline CT Dharma

• Hatchling
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2019, 06:18:54 PM »
Just thought of a few more that I like...

Marcus King band
JD McPherson
Low Cut Connie

Marcus King Band - second that!!
1980 SP1000 original owner
1998 V10 Centauro
1982 Honda CX500TC Turbo
2012 Yamaha FJR 1300
2005 BMW R1100S BCR
1995 KTM Duke 620
1987 BMW K100RS

"When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive" - Neil Peart 1952-2020

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2019, 06:50:48 PM »
Because I ended up owning the Sparklehorse 1000S I have been learning to enjoy Mark's music.

Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline T4halo

• Hatchling
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2019, 07:08:05 PM »
Da Yoopers
7th & 10th SF retired

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2019, 07:08:05 PM »

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2019, 07:17:35 PM »

I’m a big fan of American folk singer Slaid Cleaves.  Out of Austin, previously from Maine. 

We too love us some Slaid Cleaves, we have foe many years.  We go give him a listen whenever he and Karen are in the area, Gardiner or Portland, Maine usually.  We hope to go see and hear him in Austin one of these days. 

The guest guitarists and/or mandolin or fiddle players that he will show up with is a real treat.  What a personable young man.

One thing that he does on stage is, once every three to four bars he will stomp one boot on the beat, just gives the tune some added authority. 

I asked him one night after the show how he came to do that...  He didn't know, just kinda happens.

I took this shot of his boot and that awesome Gibson one night at the historic Johnson Hall. .

An obscur artist that we have followed for years is another Maine folk singer by the name of Ellis Paul.  Check him out.

Great thread here.
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2019, 07:46:01 PM »
Well - this is the kind of question that would happen only on Wild Guzzi!

At the Michigan Rally last year - we started talking music and it turned out there were a few of us that are hardcore Jazz fans - we discussed Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, Sonny Rollins, et al. All great Jazz artists from the 60s. And I think I saw another one already on this thread in Dave Brubeck!

Well - Jazz ran headlong into Jazz Fusion in the late 60's, and I'm not talking Kenny G. I'm talking Miles Davis' groundbreaking record Bitches Brew. Featuring: Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett, Herbie Hancock, Jack DeJohnette, Dave Holland, Wayne Shorter, John McGlaughlin etc. The electrification of jazz, which then led to groups like Weather Report, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra.

And out of THAT - or maybe simultaneously springing forth - came Progressive Rock, which Yes and King Crimson came forth from. And yes - I LOVE Prog Rock, and there are SO many bands that sound so great. Including RUSH, who I've seen maybe 20 times with my son.

I've probably already lost everyone, so I'll leave you with the ONE Prog Rock band that I've been listening a LOT to lately:

Porcupine Tree.  Check out the cut Train......

Sorry you asked now, aren't you. LOL
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

bobrebos

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2019, 08:02:56 PM »
John Prine
Iris Dement

Those are my favorites by far!

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2019, 08:13:25 PM »
Well - this is the kind of question that would happen only on Wild Guzzi!

At the Michigan Rally last year - we started talking music and it turned out there were a few of us that are hardcore Jazz fans - we discussed Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, Sonny Rollins, et al. All great Jazz artists from the 60s. And I think I saw another one already on this thread in Dave Brubeck!

Well - Jazz ran headlong into Jazz Fusion in the late 60's, and I'm not talking Kenny G. I'm talking Miles Davis' groundbreaking record Bitches Brew. Featuring: Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett, Herbie Hancock, Jack DeJohnette, Dave Holland, Wayne Shorter, John McGlaughlin etc. The electrification of jazz, which then led to groups like Weather Report, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Wes and Sonny and Dave Brubeck...  Great stuff.

Also funny that you mention Jack DeJohnette... We Just saw and heard Pat Metheny here in Maine at the Strand Theatre in Rockland.  A-mazing show.

Another favorite that we caught up with at the Savage Oaks Winery last Summer was James McMurtry. 

Great, great story teller with a side of social comemtary.

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline DonT

• New Egg
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2019, 08:28:19 PM »
What a list of really good music!!!!  Everyone must add Donna the Buffalo.  A groove band out of Fingerlakes region of NY.  Jeb plays guitar and Tara fiddle, (mostly electric) and they have great songs, lyrics, and a sticker on the back of my Norge.

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2019, 08:42:51 PM »
Personally (& what is musical preference if not intensely personal), only the girls really do it for me.  Only the feminine voice can leave me weak at the knees, creating those characteristic waves of frisson that denote intense emotional engagement.  I honestly don't mind the fellas.  I'm not particularly homophobic in this regard, but I just love the ladies more.

Two of the more 'offbeat' ladies whose precocious vocal talents I currently love with an intensity bordering on passion are Sevara Nazarkhan and Cecile McLorin Salvant.

The former is a classically trained Uzbek superstar, possessed of a tiny frame from which emanates a prodigious voice.  Singing an eclectic collection of originals & standards in multiple languages (her native tongue, Russian, French & English), and styles (Uzbek & Russian folk, standards, contemporary and "world beat" originals), she is predictably a genuine bona-fide superstar at home and in Russia, yet all but unknown in the rest of the world.  She's one of the few singers to actually make me tear-up on occasion. Considering what a jaded, curmudgeonly old bastard I tend to be, that's actually saying something.

Cecile is a different fish altogether.  She is astonishingly accomplished.  This Floridian has gathered accolades aplenty for her vocal interpretations of both standards and obscure long-forgotten jazz recordings.  Winton Marsalis has described her precocious talent as possessing "poise, elegance, soul, humour, sensuality, power, virtuosity, range, insight, intelligence, depth and grace".  Who am I to argue with this eloquent and accurate description from such an esteemed personage?

Thing is, in vocal circles, she's still incredibly young.  At only 30, her best years are yet to come.  Given that all the accolades, awards and testimonials in the world don't sell either albums or bums on concert seats, Cecile is ironically born about 90 years too late to actually achieve the commercial and cultural success she so rightly deserves.  Jazz unfortunately is forever condemned to be an unfashionable 'fringe' musical style to the I-tunes generation.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 09:55:54 PM by Knuckle Dragger »
Severus bastardis

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2019, 08:58:47 PM »
The Cramps
The Violent Femmes
XTC
The Replacements
Husker Du
The Pixies

1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2019, 09:15:06 PM »
Can't believe I forgot the include BRMC, also known as Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Absolutely must listen for anyone who digs bluesy rock with some attitude.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2019, 09:53:00 PM »
Currently enjoying the new Drivin N Cryin release and Elephant Stone.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2019, 10:04:04 PM »
of course all you old weirdos like Zappa, some of the worst music ever produced!!

I once worked for a chef who, when he was in a bad mood or angry with the staff, he would punish us by playing a frank zappa CD on repeat for upwards of 8hrs straight...  it was torturous

Then two guys said they really dug Zappa, so he switched to playing the Deliverance Soundtrack on repeat.....  dueling banjos all day will drive you insane...

Of course no one was brave enough to turn it off or change it, that was a scary dude!

That would have made me get real ignorant.  I don't like Frank's music either but there is one song, Willie The Pimp, that is somehow really good. I linked it on a post a couple lines back. as a kid I bought a Hot Rats album because I liked the artwork on the album cover
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2019, 10:09:34 PM »
Nobody has mentioned SRV, Texan musician Stevie Ray Vaughn.https://youtu.be/grBmQwLSlDw
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2019, 10:16:08 PM »
AJ Lee & Molly Tuttle

Appalachi Don w/ Marshall Brothers

Blue Mitchell

Michael Burks (RIP)

Poppa Chubby

Lucinda Williams

Mean Mary James

The Jolly Beggarmen
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2019, 10:24:39 PM »
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2019, 10:26:44 PM »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2019, 10:40:39 PM »
Delbert McClinton
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

oldbike54

« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2019, 12:17:09 AM »
 Hot Tuna and Delbert M aren't all that offbeat .

OK Rocker , one from your neck of the woods , Zorro and the blue footballs , never famous , heck , the two frontmen are dead , but they could bring down the house .

Dusty

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2019, 12:54:19 AM »
It's interesting what different people see as "offbeat".  Probably as some of us are more Off that others, some folks offbeat is others normal listening.  Some of us being older have been listening to some of these offbeat musicians while the younger ones are just discovering them.

Local talent always seems to be more "off" than national acts.  RJamesOhio talking about some of the blues greats - none of which I would currently consider offbeat, but back when Bitches Brew came out, Miles was so far off the beaten track as to be mind blowing for a decade until the others caught up.  Same with Thelonious Monk.  Monk's early stuff was very avant-garde at the time - even his later albums pushed the limits.  Now, it sounds pretty mellow.

Back in the 70s, I got caught up in the Austin Music Scene and hung out with some amazing musicians including some mentioned here already, along with Michael Martin Murphy, Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley Boys (they still perform a lot around Austin), Extreme Heat (also known as Steamed Heat - jazz), Doug Kershaw, Jimmie Vaughan and the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Jerry Jeff Walker, Jessi Colter, Tompall Glaser, David Allan Coe, Cowboy Doug Davis, and a whole bunch of others.

Popa Chubby first came to my attention back in 1992 at the Long Beach Blues Festival.  He plays around the LA area a lot.

If any of you are in the LA area on a Monday night, drop by the Baked Potato for the Monday Jam - jazz oriented, but you never know who will show up or be in the house band or the night.

Possum Dixon is/was a local LA group (1989-1999) described as neo-new wave pop and post punk who were influenced by Talking Heads, Human Hands, Wall of Voodoo, Dream Syndicate and Camper Van Beethoven.  Talk about offbeat musicians.  Holy smoke! Incidentally, the lead singer, Rob Zabrecky, is now an internationally known and respected magician whose magic is just as offbeat as their music was.

Lots of interesting stuff(tm) to find and listen to in this list.

I participate in a Secret Santa exchange on ADV and have gotten some wonderful music from local bands around the world as gifts from random riders.  I've gotten a couple of real clunkers as well.  But, hey, not everybody has the same taste in music (or motorcycles)

So much good music available if one takes the time to look for it.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2019, 01:12:41 AM »
The common theme appears to be Zappa.  Me too, especially "Apostrophe" (don't eat the yellow snow), and "Overnight Sensation".

But nobody else has mentioned Ramsay Midwood and his album "Shoot Out At The OK Chinese Restaurant".  I first heard the whole album played  at the San Francisco saloon in Los Angeles.  I pestered the barman to tell me the artist, and he was pleasantly surprised that somebody else liked his choice.

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2019, 02:09:47 AM »
You know the relationship between Zappa and Steve Vai, right?

Steve began transcribing Zappa music when he was 18.  Frank was in New York and asked Steve to come to his hotel and talk about doing more transcription work.  When Steve showed up, Frank took a look at this skinny 18-year old, with tattoos, an earring, black leather coat and says "You're Steve Vai???"

Then a couple of years later, there was the audition... https://youtu.be/Xx1RguHA4XE

Really an unbelievable musician (both Frank and Steve).

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2019, 02:30:33 AM »
I think Tom Waits and Townes Van Zandt are the two best American songwriters of the last fifty years.  Steve Earl said Townes was better than Dylan and I agree with him. 

Motörhead.  Yes, everything Lemmy did sounded the same and it was simple but sometimes simple is good.  I’ve had a thing for Motörhead since I was 12(1981).

Bjork.  She’s otherworldly.  I don’t always like her electronica stuff but her voice is beyond incredible. 

The Clash(aka the only band that really matters).  When my 18 year old daughter stole my London Calling and Sandinista CD’s I knew I’d done something right when raising her.  If nothing else, the kid has good taste in music. 

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2019, 04:53:28 AM »
Gotta put Dave Alvin in that group, too.

Lots of great musicians mentioned here.  Add The Iguanas.  If they ever get within 500 miles of you it's a must see band.  Their records are great but live it's completely fantastic.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline pat80flh

• Gosling
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2019, 05:07:03 AM »
Since no one's mentioned him, Steve Earle.
00 Bassa
80 FLH (in rehab)
84 V65C
75 850T prject

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2019, 06:21:30 AM »
You know the relationship between Zappa and Steve Vai, right?

Steve began transcribing Zappa music when he was 18.  Frank was in New York and asked Steve to come to his hotel and talk about doing more transcription work.  When Steve showed up, Frank took a look at this skinny 18-year old, with tattoos, an earring, black leather coat and says "You're Steve Vai???"

Then a couple of years later, there was the audition... https://youtu.be/Xx1RguHA4XE

Really an unbelievable musician (both Frank
jdg

Yes - zappa ill be a me too on that! My son was a music student at Oberin and I begged him to do an arrangement of Dental Floss Tycoon for his Senior trombone choir event. That didnt happen but weve sung Zappa at full strength in the car on many  trips!
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2019, 06:31:28 AM »
Laurie Anderson.

Love it. I have Apple Music and have been exploring many of these this morning. Great new music!

AJ Huff - its been forever and I like Elephant Stone.
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2019, 09:34:37 AM »
Let's Hear It For The Girls:

Eliza Gilkyson (daughter of Frankie Lane):
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHNXE7waflY  Is It Like Today
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N8ohExQENo  Beautiful World

kd lang:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5KRVtjgMkM  Helpless
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE  Halleluja

Eve Cassidy
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UVjjcOUJLE  Fields Of Gold
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzLd2MDAHK8   People Get Ready

Quiet enjoyment for geezers of all ages...
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Offline harry h

• Hatchling
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2019, 09:50:20 AM »
Don't think anyone has mentioned King Crimson.
1972 Eldorado
2016 Eldorado

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here