Author Topic: V85 TT Merged Threadfest  (Read 361766 times)

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V85 TT Merged Threadfest
« Reply #1710 on: June 15, 2019, 11:47:28 AM »
It's been a long time since any Guzzi made me even think about a test ride, but the V85TT does. So, I'm planning to ride out to far western MD to Xtreme Powersports on June 29th and taking one for a spin. If the shock of going from my 1969 V700 "TT" to the 2019 V85TT doesn't kill me, I'll be sure to post my impressions.  :grin:

I think you'll love it.  I do, and am buying one.  You do know it doesn't have a carburetor, right?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline tcunnien

• New Egg
« Reply #1711 on: June 15, 2019, 12:08:21 PM »
Can't make it to MD, or VA(both closer to home) so will be traveling to West Chester PA next Saturday to hopefully try one out.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1712 on: June 15, 2019, 12:09:03 PM »
My thought on the component obsolescence issues that are becoming more and more obvious across expensive  new motorcycles is that the current market of aged riders is willing to overlook what may not be available in 20 years... because their personal timeline is 15 years.

I love the V85TT concept, can definitely see myself owning one, and would love it even more if I could see maintaining it for 30 + plus years with no manufacturer support.  The more they sell, the better the outlook for long term aftermarket support, so by all means buy one now - be a trend setter  :grin:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 12:09:26 PM by Tusayan »

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1713 on: June 15, 2019, 12:15:02 PM »
The carcass bikes have been out for 14 years.  As far as I’m able to learn everything is still available new, including the TFT or dash.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #1713 on: June 15, 2019, 12:15:02 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1714 on: June 15, 2019, 12:27:48 PM »
What I don’t see/read is, Stelvio owners commenting on their test ride of the new V85 adventure bike. That is the target,right...?
Not necessarily.
Most of the big distance crunchers that I’ve seen on this trip on super highways, have been BMW GS’,  KTM 1190’s or Africa Twins.
We have canvassed the fact that an adventure does not have to be on the dirt. The V85 will fit the bill of those that don’t want or need a super sized off roader, by can still do the Autostrada thing.

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #1715 on: June 15, 2019, 02:28:21 PM »
What I don’t see/read is, Stelvio owners commenting on their test ride of the new V85 adventure bike. That is the target,right...?

Im a 13 Stelvio owner and was just thinking about my V85 testride yesterday while out doing some crusty fireroad riding up in the mountains in San Diego county yesterday.  My buddy rides a Kawi versys 300 and this should have been way easier for him but the cheap non adjustable suspension was bottoming out and beating his ass to death. He was really amazed at how well the giant beast of mine did and how much less worn out I was. So back to the V85, I thought I would love to try the lighter much more flickable V85 on these same trails, I bet it would do really well and be more controllable in the sand sections. Got me thinking for sure.

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1716 on: June 15, 2019, 03:32:06 PM »
Took a ride this morning on the v85 up in Goshen,ny.. I was definitely impressed by the ride ..this fit me like a good glove..now I have to clean and put the vstrom up for sale..the gentleman who ran the demo said the cargo ship is getting closer to port..

image upload

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #1717 on: June 15, 2019, 03:43:01 PM »
Charlie

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1718 on: June 16, 2019, 02:59:20 PM »
Well, I just made up my mind to get one of these.  The local dealer expects to get their first shipment next week.  I would really like to buy from Hamlin or Cadre, but it doesn't seem to make sense for someone living in CO.  Do you think they would ship for free to get my business?
But I better not get ahead of myself.  Haven't discussed with the wife yet.... :thewife:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:33:29 PM by alanp »
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1719 on: June 16, 2019, 07:25:36 PM »
Why would you assume a dead TFT means a dead bike?  Doesn't the TFT pull information and display it for the rider?  If that is the case it seems to be a one way communication and a dead TFT shouldn't strand the bike????????

If anyone knows with any certainty that a dead TFT will strand the bike please expand on that for the rest of us.  And this has nothing to do with Guzzi and Honda will likely not have replacement TFT's in 15 years for the current generation Africa Twin either.

NC

I don't know, that is part of the reason I posted up.  I looked around at KTM & Ducati forums and it seems the bikes still run, but about impossible to select different options as you can't see what is happened as you push various buttons on the handlebars, and the dealers keep your bike while they order the new TFT screen (so it goes into the dealer, waits to be worked on, then they figure out what you already know (dead TFT), then they order a new one, then you wait a few weeks for that to come in, then you get your bike back).

Also seems like it is a thing to get a screen protector film to go over it as gas splashes can messes it up, or other scratches might happen.

And the reason I brought up the distant future, I was looking at a used Quota, so 19 years old, and that made me wonder what things will be like for the TFT display bikes ~19 years from now. 

I guess a bunch of people get excited about the pretty display, but for me, I'd rather just have an old school speedo and tach.

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1720 on: June 16, 2019, 08:21:10 PM »
  I would really like to buy from Hamlin or Cadre, but it doesn't seem to make sense for someone living in CO.  Do you think they would ship for free to get my business?

Hell no.  What business, future service?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

pete roper

« Reply #1721 on: June 16, 2019, 09:12:28 PM »
In the immortal words of Elton John...
“It’s a little bit funny.”
I’ve just gone back over the first couple or five, pages of this thread and it’s funny because, most of the blokes that have made comments about how we’ll never see the bugger, and it’ll be a sales flop and “pure fantasy, the 2V motor is dead...”, have either been conspicuously quiet, or silently grabbed reverse and in recent posts have been giving their opinions as to why it’s such a good thing...!
Are any of these buggers going to say anything about how they might have been arse up..?

The reason I've not said anything Peter is because every time I offer an opinion I'm shouted at for being negative. As for the 2V motor being dead? That was a reference to the big blocks and the truth is all the big blocks will be gone in the next few years.

As for the V85? Everything I'm reading is telling me it's an uninteresting, anodyne POS that I will have exactly zero interest in. That's fine. Obviously it's what a lot of people want. All power to them. As I've said before I hope they sell them by the boatload.

I believe there are some in Oz now? At some point I'll ring John and arrange a test ride. It's not a high priority for me though. Speaking to Mario the other day he said it's the only model in the last 30 years he has had NO pre-orders for. That I think should give pause to all those who expect it to be a runaway success.

Pete
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:20:48 PM by pete roper »

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #1722 on: June 17, 2019, 05:12:52 PM »
Speaking to Mario the other day he said it's the only model in the last 30 years he has had NO pre-orders for. That I think should give pause to all those who expect it to be a runaway success.

Quite the opposite across the ditch here in Kiwiland.   Demand greatly exceeds supply.

I'm enjoying mine, although today might be the first day I'll be able to take it out without the skies opening up.  Here's hoping.

pete roper

« Reply #1723 on: June 17, 2019, 07:53:30 PM »
Good-o! Miserable time of year to be breaking in a new bike but I'm sure the excitement makes it tolerable. I'll be interested to hear your opinions Dave.

Pete

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #1724 on: June 17, 2019, 09:31:59 PM »
Why would you assume a dead TFT means a dead bike?  Doesn't the TFT pull information and display it for the rider?  If that is the case it seems to be a one way communication and a dead TFT shouldn't strand the bike????????

If anyone knows with any certainty that a dead TFT will strand the bike please expand on that for the rest of us.  And this has nothing to do with Guzzi and Honda will likely not have replacement TFT's in 15 years for the current generation Africa Twin either.

NC

I suppose this might concern long-term (20+ years) keeper of just about ANY modern bike.  Those with Canbus systems should perhaps worry a bit more.  But redundancy could/can strike just about any bike out there.  From something as 'trivial' as discontinued tyre sizes/profiles to CPU ignition & control systems.  Or even supply issues for replacement parts following accidental damage.

I've had a couple of Husky Nudas that I've rebuilt/am rebuilding recently for which it's extremely difficult to source fairing panels, even from Belgium, the home of Nudaparts.com!  A relatively rare & short-lived bike from an originally Swedish company, at the time owned by BMW, built in Varese Italy with an Austrian engine installed!

I personally don't mind TFT information displays.  As new replacement parts they seem relatively inexpensive (AU $500-ish).  Being shared among others of the Piaggio tribe should help with ample supply as spare parts into the indeterminant future.  My biggest gripe with the display, however, is with its size:  @ a mere 5" it's waaay too small in my opinion.  Much better the lovely large colourful & info-rich BMW displays @ a much more generous & legible 9".

Should you let the risk of such rare, relatively inconsequential & unlikely contingencies restrict your choice of bike?  Not on your Nelly!  Life's too short for that.  I'd rather worry about more important stuff, such as the future likelihood of East Asian trade wars, or even a "hot" war over the ownership of the South China Sea.
Severus bastardis

Offline Glawster

• New Egg
« Reply #1725 on: June 18, 2019, 02:44:38 AM »
Picked mine up yesterday.  Only the 60 mile ride home from the dealer, but first impressions are positive.  The ride / handling combination is excellent.  Screen is too short, but at least you sit in clean air with no buffeting.  I have a little screen deflector I'll try.  Engine and exhaust note are very quiet.  Perhaps a bit too quiet.  Gearbox is ok.  Better than a BMW, but you're always aware it's shaft drive.
Might have a little tootle out on it again today.

20190617_143821 by Derek0812, on Flickr

20190617_143810 by Derek0812, on Flickr
1955 Falcone Sport
1973 V7 Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1955 Moto Parilla Turismo Special

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1726 on: June 18, 2019, 03:07:48 AM »
That looks darn nice Derek.
I may have a chance to come and see it when I cross back over.

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #1727 on: June 18, 2019, 03:15:02 AM »
LOVE that red one.  Absolutely stunning!  And just so.......Guzzi.  A shade or 2 darker than Ferrari-Red, that black frame, (especially that somewhat ugly front headlamp/instrument subframe) aesthetically disappears into the background, subtly contrasting so well with the colourful bodywork.  Much classier than the gaudy (brighter red??) frames of the 4 & 5-colour candystripe iterations.

With just the red primary, and black low- & silver high-lights there's a more integrated, understated overall harmony.  Elegance, even, if any high-mudguard rough-road tourer actually CAN be described as elegant.

A couple of Q's please:  firstly, is there room under the seat next to the tool-roll for more tools?  A ratchet perhaps & handful of appropriate 3/8" sockets?  Tyre levers?   A small electric or hand-pump?  Are the supplied tools good quality (i.e. older BMW-esque) or just the usual crap OEM rubbish that need to be immediately replaced?

Secondly, I gather there's an additional small compartment @ the rear:  under the pillion?  Or in the ducktail?  Any room for a set of (thin, lightweight) wet-weather coveralls in there?

Do those allen/torx screws on the back of the exhaust can allow an owner to maybe weave a little disappearance magic to a few unnecessary kilograms of extraneous tortuous exhaust baffling perhaps?  Otherwise, an aftermarket QD midpipe might free up a few kgs & HP & allow that Euro V compliant leaned-off motor to run cooler & breathe easier.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 03:18:46 AM by Knuckle Dragger »
Severus bastardis

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1728 on: June 18, 2019, 09:02:28 AM »
Every time I’ve been to Mandello in the last decade the plant has been shut down that day.  I believe that was because they were operating only to meet demand, building a batch of bikes to meet distributor demand then stopping.  Whether my understanding of the details is correct or not, I have a feeling that its no longer the case  :grin:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1729 on: June 18, 2019, 09:11:59 AM »
Every time I’ve been to Mandello in the last decade the plant has been shut down that day.  I believe that was because they were operating only to meet demand, building a batch of bikes to meet distributor demand then stopping.  Whether my understanding of the details is correct or not, I have a feeling that its no longer the case  :grin:
I was talking with the guy on the door the other day and he said they were doing 9 hr shifts, 6 days a week and the “new” one was on the go.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:24:36 AM by Huzo »

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1730 on: June 18, 2019, 10:18:35 AM »
From what I understand the U.S. is only getting the two adventure colo(u)rs and the grey one.  The grey one looks fine but not as vivid as your red one and I do like that red.

Offline Glawster

• New Egg
« Reply #1731 on: June 18, 2019, 11:57:17 AM »

A couple of Q's please:  firstly, is there room under the seat next to the tool-roll for more tools?  A ratchet perhaps & handful of appropriate 3/8" sockets?  Tyre levers?   A small electric or hand-pump?  Are the supplied tools good quality (i.e. older BMW-esque) or just the usual crap OEM rubbish that need to be immediately replaced?

Secondly, I gather there's an additional small compartment @ the rear:  under the pillion?  Or in the ducktail?  Any room for a set of (thin, lightweight) wet-weather coveralls in there?

Do those allen/torx screws on the back of the exhaust can allow an owner to maybe weave a little disappearance magic to a few unnecessary kilograms of extraneous tortuous exhaust baffling perhaps?  Otherwise, an aftermarket QD midpipe might free up a few kgs & HP & allow that Euro V compliant leaned-off motor to run cooler & breathe easier.

The "toolkit" is in a nice bag and contains the (cheap crap) adjuster for rear pre-load.  Then there's a couple of allen keys and a fuse remover, and that's your lot mate! :grin:
There plenty of room in  the bag to put a few additional tools and one or two very  small spaces, but no place for an oversuit or suchlike.
DSC_1506 by Derek0812, on Flickr.

I don't know what happens when you take out the torx screws at the end of the can.  I'll wait for someone else to be a pioneer on this point.
DSC_1507 by Derek0812, on Flickr

I put another 100 miles on today.  Only up to 4,500 rpm where the "running in" warning lights come on.  The handling's really great - sharp like a 1200 Multistrada, but more supple ride.  I think the low end oomph will prove a bit lacking for some, but for me it's fine.  Just a bit of a clonky drive train around town, which I suppose may improve.

It certainly is an elegant looker though, particularly the tank profile.  However, it's no match for it's elderly room mate!

DSC_1508 by Derek0812, on Flickr

DSC_3242 by Derek Wardell, on Flickr
1955 Falcone Sport
1973 V7 Sport
2021 BMW R1250R

Offline Glawster

• New Egg
« Reply #1732 on: June 18, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »
That looks darn nice Derek.
I may have a chance to come and see it when I cross back over.

Peter, Let me know when you're back in UK and we'll find a rendevous point.
Cheers,
Derek
1955 Falcone Sport
1973 V7 Sport
2021 BMW R1250R

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1733 on: June 18, 2019, 05:21:20 PM »
I'm not sure, your pic's aren't lined up from the same angle.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #1734 on: June 19, 2019, 12:28:59 AM »
Thank you.

I like the cool factor of a TFT if it is done correctly.  The BMW R1200GS TFT and Triumph Tiger 800 TFT's are brilliant.  The Ducati Multistrada, not so much.  IMHO of course.

NC

I don't know, that is part of the reason I posted up.  I looked around at KTM & Ducati forums and it seems the bikes still run, but about impossible to select different options as you can't see what is happened as you push various buttons on the handlebars, and the dealers keep your bike while they order the new TFT screen (so it goes into the dealer, waits to be worked on, then they figure out what you already know (dead TFT), then they order a new one, then you wait a few weeks for that to come in, then you get your bike back).

Also seems like it is a thing to get a screen protector film to go over it as gas splashes can messes it up, or other scratches might happen.

And the reason I brought up the distant future, I was looking at a used Quota, so 19 years old, and that made me wonder what things will be like for the TFT display bikes ~19 years from now. 

I guess a bunch of people get excited about the pretty display, but for me, I'd rather just have an old school speedo and tach.

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #1735 on: June 19, 2019, 12:33:31 AM »
I know I'm asking everybody this but how is the clutch pull?  I know it is impossible for you to tell me what I'll think of it but I'm curious if you would call it lighter, heavier, etc.

Beautiful red machine you have there!

NC

Picked mine up yesterday.  Only the 60 mile ride home from the dealer, but first impressions are positive.  The ride / handling combination is excellent.  Screen is too short, but at least you sit in clean air with no buffeting.  I have a little screen deflector I'll try.  Engine and exhaust note are very quiet.  Perhaps a bit too quiet.  Gearbox is ok.  Better than a BMW, but you're always aware it's shaft drive.
Might have a little tootle out on it again today.

20190617_143821 by Derek0812, on Flickr

20190617_143810 by Derek0812, on Flickr

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #1736 on: June 19, 2019, 12:36:14 AM »
I assume you are in Oz yourself?  I had thought one of the things US buyers and Australian buyers would have in common would be the desire for a large fuel tank.  This bike would appear to have the best range of any bike out there in this class with the exception being a V-Strom 650.  I'm surprised pre-orders aren't there?????

NC

The reason I've not said anything Peter is because every time I offer an opinion I'm shouted at for being negative. As for the 2V motor being dead? That was a reference to the big blocks and the truth is all the big blocks will be gone in the next few years.

As for the V85? Everything I'm reading is telling me it's an uninteresting, anodyne POS that I will have exactly zero interest in. That's fine. Obviously it's what a lot of people want. All power to them. As I've said before I hope they sell them by the boatload.

I believe there are some in Oz now? At some point I'll ring John and arrange a test ride. It's not a high priority for me though. Speaking to Mario the other day he said it's the only model in the last 30 years he has had NO pre-orders for. That I think should give pause to all those who expect it to be a runaway success.

Pete

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1737 on: June 19, 2019, 01:12:42 AM »
Peter, Let me know when you're back in UK and we'll find a rendevous point.
Cheers,
Derek
Ok

Offline Glawster

• New Egg
« Reply #1738 on: June 19, 2019, 04:22:54 AM »
I know I'm asking everybody this but how is the clutch pull?  I know it is impossible for you to tell me what I'll think of it but I'm curious if you would call it lighter, heavier, etc.

Beautiful red machine you have there!

NC

Clutch is like any modern bike.  Very light.  About 100x lighter than a bevel Ducati or Laverda triple.
1955 Falcone Sport
1973 V7 Sport
2021 BMW R1250R

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1739 on: June 19, 2019, 04:26:26 AM »
Jeez.
I’m damned if I’m not starting to like the look of the all red one...!

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here