Author Topic: Puzzling Over Reassembling Norge Top Case Latch  (Read 1898 times)

Bill Hagan

Puzzling Over Reassembling Norge Top Case Latch
« on: April 27, 2015, 07:52:45 AM »
Let’s just get past the “why did you take it apart?” sort of questions.

So, there I wuz ...

Having taken apart, cleaned, and lubricated some of the moving parts of the latch assembly, and subsequently having a brain cramp — a chronic condition in such circumstances  ::) — I cannot recall where (or even if!) the two washers in the photos are part of this assembly, and, if so, where and how they fit into it. 

I am thinking that that they mesh somehow with that rod and circlip, but cannot figure out how, if so, they stay in place.

Yes, many thanks, I do know that pix during the disassembly are of inestimable help during reassembly.    ;)

Cannot find any pix or discussion on the web.  The Norge parts list I have shows the top case but nada about the latch assembly.  Yes, thank you; I recognize the moral there.    :'(

So, any (constructive, knowledgeable or otherwise helpful  ;D) suggestions? 

Grazie.

Bill

P.S.  While on a stroll around our place last evening, found a new guard for the Moto Grappa.  Not every day one can bag a buck armed only with a G&T.  I named him Bambo.  :D

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Puzzling Over Reassembling Norge Top Case Latch
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 08:58:43 AM »
I don't remember any washers but this was from having taking it apart about 5 years ago.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

canuguzzi

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 10:17:08 AM »
Could you at least remove the "Army" cloth tag and if you must, maybe put one with "Marine" in it's place?  ~;

Turn the assemble so it lays flat and if needed brace the case that way too and assemble with washer in whatever places they seem to fit (have to go onto screws or bolts) and check for function. They can only go so many places if at all.

Look at the screws, generally you can see if the heads mated with washers.

Checking for function would NOT include closing the lid or your next post might be "How to open locked case with lock assembled improperly".

Bill Hagan

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 12:23:15 PM »
Could you at least remove the "Army" cloth tag and if you must, maybe put one with "Marine" in it's place?  ~;

Turn the assemble so it lays flat and if needed brace the case that way too and assemble with washer in whatever places they seem to fit (have to go onto screws or bolts) and check for function. They can only go so many places if at all.

Look at the screws, generally you can see if the heads mated with washers.

Checking for function would NOT include closing the lid or your next post might be "How to open locked case with lock assembled improperly".

Funny all around.  The Army JAG Corps is about as close to the rear-echelon I could get to be like the USMC.   ;D

And, roger all of that on not closing the lid.  I worried about doing that yesterday, so not a wasted warning.  ;)

Understand, too, the "shadow" thing with washers, but -- doh -- less helpful when one looks for the echo after a cleaning and lube.   ::)

The odd thing (blackcat & NP) is that I don't remember those, either, on disassembly, but they were in the same sealed sandwich bag labeled "Top Case) when I got back to it. Moreover, both mesh rather nicely onto that circlip spot.  Still, they do not stay in place and I had not popped the circlip.

Odd. All the other screws, washers, spring and insert (the last two back in place) all seem to go easily where told.  Those washers, not.

I'll get back to you on this, as I know it'll keep you two and some other folks up at night if I don't.   :D

Bill

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 12:23:15 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here