Author Topic: Luxembourg  (Read 625 times)

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
Luxembourg
« on: January 18, 2024, 10:42:24 PM »
I hope this is not off topic, but I really appreciate the advice I get from this well traveled group.

I have a business trip to Luxembourg City this February.  Any tips or suggestions for thing to see and do?  I’m big on history. 

Any Guzzi folks in the area who might want to meet an old Texan?  (I won’t be on a bike)
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Luxembourg
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 06:56:10 AM »
It's been a while,  but I've been there twice now
First memory is that the capital is built around a a very steep valley
Second is that on the way home from Mandello on the motorway,  my wife slept through all of the Country- it's not big

I'm sure that you'll enjoy it though, and sorry I can't help more
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 01:45:17 PM »
Reminds me of Switzerland.  Multi-lingual people.  It was an open country before the EU and the switch to Euro.  Other than that, it was ride through county for me.  Stopped for lunch.  Small country.  Didn't do a gas stop.   :laugh:  Good time to work on your French, Italian or German.  Go to a local tavern and hang out at the bar.  Listen then start asking the bartender for tips.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 04:04:11 PM »
Many, many years ago I and a buddy backpacked thru Europe.  We were in Luxembourg for my birthday (Oct).  That, apparently, is harvest season for the local grapes.  We hooked up with a group of Luxemburgers(?) who proceeded to take us on a pub crawl thru the city.  I don't remember much of the evening
except lots of cobblestoned, steep streets, wonderful medieval architecture and this milky white wine that they insisted we drink.  My head still hurts.

Hope this helps.

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 04:04:11 PM »

Online jkguzzi

• Gosling
    • JKnorth
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2024, 06:47:44 AM »

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2024, 11:38:08 AM »
Rent a bike, if possible.

Then post up pictures !

:bike-037:

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2024, 12:56:37 PM »
Would love to add something of note, but it has been 55 years (where have they gone?) since the wife and I spent a day there. Had a nice lunch and walked about a bit.
Take pics and refresh my memory, will you??

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2024, 01:12:59 PM »
Yeah, I don’t remember much about Luxembourg on the occasions I’ve been through there, it always seemed to just be a name on a sign as you’re leaving the Netherlands to go into Germany.
On one occasion, I found when loading a map into the  Tom Tom, I did not have enough storage capacity and discovered that deleting Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg then replacing all three with Benelux, solved the  problem.
Until then, I didn’t know that the “lux” on the end was for Luxembourg.
That’s the rather pathetic limit of my knowlege.

Offline Gianni

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2024, 12:28:24 PM »
Luxembourg (the country) is a lovely place.

If you can get out, the route (A10) up the eastern side along the Sure River from Wasserbillig to Dasburg is a motorcycling gem. Then follow the A10 up the winding hill and through to Clervaux.

Read up about the Battle of the Bulge (1944) first and you will be travelling through and around where the US Army put up such a courageous and brilliant defence. Look out for public and private museums (and tanks, etc) along the way.

The food is usually pretty excellent (the Belgian/French influence) and the beer (Bitburg lager from nearby in Germany) is very quaffable.

Population is very educated so language is rarely a problem as they speak several of French, German, English and a local Luxembourgois dialect which sounds like Flemish/Dutch.

Enjoy.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here