Author Topic: BMW gear selector lawsuit? NGC  (Read 4966 times)

Lcarlson

Re: BMW gear selector lawsuit? NGC
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2019, 07:56:13 AM »
My two cents: I have two BMW motorcycles, one without a gear indicator, one with (it works fine). It is absolutely NOT an essential feature, but on the bike that has it, I find that I refer to it all the time — perhaps partially because it’s a middleweight on which gear selection is marginally more important than on a bigger machine. The upshot is that it’s nice to have, and if it didn’t work, I’d want it fixed.

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2019, 08:07:57 AM »
 <sigh>

Dusty

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2019, 08:11:54 AM »
Yes mate, if my bike had a scratch on the tank I’d want it fixed, I would not try to promote it as a safety issue.
It’s courtroom speak and the “s” word is used to railroad an opposing party into action, which is fine if that’s your motive and I would use it for that reason, but not insult experienced riders by expecting them to take you seriously.
Whoever devised this strategy is a disingenuous opportunist that pedals bullshit for a living.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2019, 08:29:38 AM »
<sigh>

Dusty
No Dusty, there is a legitimate point (or two) here.
Knowing the numerical indication of which gear you are in, does not tell you if you need a different one. Your bike may indeed be revving at 5,000 and if on flat ground you might be justified in grabbing another gear, but that same rpm figure would be appropriate if you were passing a car uphill two up into a headwind. Looking down and seeing a number will mean nothing.
But..
Most here are not debating heavily whether the device is useful or not, it’s the implication that your safety is being compromised by the faulty indication, and this load of crap is generated by someone who wants to extort income in a courtroom while holding a straight face as if butter wouldn’t melt in their mouth.
That of itself is understandable from their self serving point of view, but they’d do well not insult me (or us), by asking us to believe it...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 08:35:45 AM by Huzo »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2019, 08:29:38 AM »

Lcarlson

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2019, 08:37:38 AM »
<sigh>

Dusty

Sorry, I don’t know how to interpret that....

oldbike54

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2019, 08:42:22 AM »
 <heavy sigh>

Dusty

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2019, 08:47:13 AM »
Sorry, I don’t know how to interpret that....
It means that this thread is heading down a well worn path that will end in tears if the thread is not pulled.
Well meaning banter will degenerate into insult trading and increasing levels of vitriol and after multiple warnings by Dusty, slightly less by Rocker and one only by Luap, the thread will be nuked...
That’s the succinct version.

Lcarlson

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2019, 09:00:26 AM »
It means that this thread is heading down a well worn path that will end in tears if the thread is not pulled.
Well meaning banter will degenerate into insult trading and increasing levels of vitriol and after multiple warnings by Dusty, slightly less by Rocker and one only by Luap, the thread will be nuked...
That’s the succinct version.

I thought my comment above was pretty anodyne — certainly not intended as a prelude to nuclear meltdown. Anyway, I haven’t owned a Guzzi in over a month and am unlikely to acquire another anytime soon, so it’s probably a good time to drop off the board.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2019, 09:03:58 AM »
On your first point, so do I mate.
But like most fires, the earlier you throw a bucket of water on them, the easier they are to extinguish... :wink:
Secondly, don’t drop off the board please..
You’ve raised a good topic and I find it interesting.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 09:06:14 AM by Huzo »

oldbike54

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2019, 09:07:49 AM »
I thought my comment above was pretty anodyne — certainly not intended as a prelude to nuclear meltdown. Anyway, I haven’t owned a Guzzi in over a month and am unlikely to acquire another anytime soon, so it’s probably a good time to drop off the board.

No need to leave .

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2019, 10:03:48 AM »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2019, 11:28:58 AM »
Better stick around, this forum is a great way to realize there are folks who’s bread didn’t get done same as ours😂

Offline GuzziDog54

• New Egg
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2019, 06:27:02 PM »
Sounds like COMPLETE horse-shyte! I mean for gawd's sake, since when has anyone NEEDED a gear indicator to ride a motorcycle? You don't need to KNOW what gear you're in... if motor spins too fast, shift up, if motor spins too slow/lugs, shift down. Problem solved.

But I gotta ask, WTF is he talking about regarding incorrect gear on cruise?!? These aren't automatics right? So who places it in the incorrect gear, the moron who sets it without "knowing" if it is 4, 5, or 6 ????

Sounds completely frivolous. Like a lawyer/rider with too much time and entitlement on his hands... or worse

I second this!
2015 MG California 1400 Custom
1973 MG Eldorado
2004 BMW R1150R Rockster
1993 BMW R100GS
1978 BMW R100/7
1975 BMW R90

canuck750

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2019, 08:04:06 PM »
I have had a gear indicator on a couple bikes over the years, the first was a 1984 Honda 750S, my R1150RT had one and my current K1600 has it and it has worked fine for two years now. If It knocked out I wouldn't miss it, a nice to have but certainly not essential. I have put more miles on KLR 650's than anything else and never even thought about not having a gear indicator.

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2019, 07:35:28 AM »
I have had a gear indicator on a couple bikes over the years, the first was a 1984 Honda 750S, my R1150RT had one and my current K1600 has it and it has worked fine for two years now. If It knocked out I wouldn't miss it, a nice to have but certainly not essential. I have put more miles on KLR 650's than anything else and never even thought about not having a gear indicator.

My old GS650 Suzuki had one.. Really the only thing I used it for is it was nice to know I was in top gear.  You know the deal.. on the highway, and always trying for the one extra gear... 
Paul B

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2019, 07:49:13 AM »
My old GS650 Suzuki had one.. Really the only thing I used it for is it was nice to know I was in top gear.  You know the deal.. on the highway, and always trying for the one extra gear...

It's funny. 3 out of the 5 bikes in the fleet are now 6-speeds. And I sometimes refer to the indicator on those bikes for the exact opposite reason... cause I find I'm only in 5th on the highway and go oooooppps, there's another gear I should upshift.

Not that I couldn't have figured it out without the indicator... but I didn't think to check cause rpm was fine. The 6th gear being more overdrive on those bikes.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2019, 12:09:21 PM »
WTH is a gear indicator?  :laugh:  I've only ever had one motorcycle with a gear indicator, and it was a '77 GS550. 
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2019, 12:29:04 PM »
Why do a motorcycle or a car need a gear indicator??

Never had car or motorcycle with gear indicator and I am not looking forward to “ upgrade “ lol

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2019, 01:25:57 PM »
Why do a motorcycle or a car need a gear indicator??

On a motorcycle it’s unnecessary, pointless nonsense... just lift the lever until you run out of gears.  I can’t always immediately remember how many gears some of my bikes have, some five some six, who cares?

On my 2017 stick shift car it’s so smooth that I’ve been known to drive on the highway in fourth instead of sixth, and the gear stick position looks the same... so there is some justification.

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2019, 06:06:38 PM »
Thank you, Lcarlson, for the fun read. Some of the posters here are really good with the language making for enjoyable reading.

Why aren't you liable to own another Guzzi?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here